PDA

View Full Version : Knot of Thorns [IC]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kish
2015-05-18, 06:19 AM
In the kingdom of Talingarde, many crimes may send you to Branderscar Prison, but the sentence has but one meaning. You are wicked and irredeemable. Each of you received the same greeting when you arrived. Sergeant Tomas Blackerly, a hulking man who seems more a uniformed bully than a champion of good, laughed as the guards held you down and the sergeant branded you upon the arm with a runic F. The mark signifies "forsaken" and the painful scar is indelible proof that each of you has betrayed the great and eternal love of Pelor and his chosen mortal vassals.

You have all been chained together in the same communal cell. No special treatment has been given any prisoner - male or female, commoner or noble - all of the forsaken are bound and imprisoned together. Your feet are secured by iron cuffs tethers by one long chain. Your arms are secured to the wall above by manacles. A guard is posted right outside the cell day and night. Little thought is given to long-term accommodations. At Branderscar, justice comes swift and sure.
Escape seems hopeless. You have all been well searched and every attempt to conceal anything on you has failed. And if you could somehow slip your bonds and fly out of this prison, where would you go? Who from your former life would want anything to do with the forsaken? Despised, alone, and shackled - all that you can do now is await your doom.
For each of you, your old life is over. For each of you, hope is a fading memory. For each of you, justice will be fairly meted. And who can blame fair Talingarde after what each of you has done?
Feel free to describe what the other prisoners see, introduce yourselves, and interact. There's little you can do right now (even if you can break the manacles doing so with the guard right outside would be an obviously bad idea); in a few real-time days something further will happen for you to respond to.

Mechanix
2015-05-18, 08:26 AM
The orcish woman sitting at the far hand of the room seems strangely undisturbed by her circumstances. Not that she looks particularly in control of her situation - she's just as bound and helpless as the others. But she seems relaxed, accepting perhaps. Her eyes are closed, and she has tried to put her feet in as close an approximation of a cross-legged meditative posture as she could - with little success.

Her skin is dark green, and the pair of tusks curving from her lower lips mark her race as obvious. Her hair is long and black - once it must have been beautiful, groomed properly and tied in long braids and complex knots; but now it falls unkempt and dirty over her face and shoulder. Every exposed part of her body is thick with tense, wiry muscle, branded with battle scars here and there. She hasn't said a word in all her time here - in fact she has barely even opened her eyes. Yet she does not seem to be sleeping.

JDL
2015-05-18, 08:38 AM
"Do you have any idea who my family is?! I am the Duchess of Monperieu, you inbred pustule! I will personally see you beaten for this outrage you swine! How dare you lay a hand on a noblewoman!" Michelle says, her endless ranting continuing as it has for almost all the time she's been imprisoned in this cell.

Hamste
2015-05-18, 10:58 AM
Chemosh was a thin weakling of man more bone than muscle. His head was covered with a thin mop of brown hair and his eyes are very pale blue.

Well, seems I have a captive audience. Who wants to hear about the all mighty Vecna? Doesn't matter, I'm going to talk about them. Vecna is a harsh but fair god. If you start praying right away you might even be so lucky as to become a mindless undead after death. Maybe if you are truly blessed you might even become a ghoul. Vecna will probably still punish you in the afterlife for your life heresy unless that undead did something truly spectacular but at least you contributed something meaningful during your life.

Hey guard, if you open these locks, donate an eyeball and your left hand I am sure Vecna will forgive your sins. Chemosh said smiling.

momothefiddler
2015-05-18, 12:36 PM
A large woman in the corner, heretofore silent, spits. "Pfah! 'Fair' is just the weak begging the strong for scraps." She tosses black dreads over her shoulder, revealing a deep brown, dirt-streaked face, and levels a sneer at Chemosh. "There is no shame in being weaker than another, but much shame in not knowing your place. I'm sure the Secret Keeper would agree with me that he's far from 'almighty'."

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-18, 12:57 PM
Zarathustra sits cross legged on the floor, alternating between surveying his fellow prisoners and starting blankly into space. His face is covered with chaotic black tattoos that meander their way down his body to no particular purpose.

He taps his fingers in constantly shifting rhythm on his knees as the others begin their discussion. At the words of the large woman in the corner he smiles slightly, although no hint of joy reaches his eyes.

"You speak with wisdom," he says, turning slightly to her. "Power garnered from service to another is not power at all, I'm afraid... not that the Secret-Keeper wishes his followers to get in on that particular secret, does he?"

Mechanix
2015-05-18, 01:47 PM
The silent woman finally seems to stir to life, her eyes opening, a guttural sneer coming out of her throat.

"I preferred the noblewoman's inane ramblings to your sermons, preacher-man. At least she knows how to keep her insults varied. Who cares about Vecna? He is a god for the weak, a god for the dusty scholars with delusions of grandeur. There are gods of might and prowess who beter deserve your faith; gods which will come to me in time and shatter these chains."

She pauses, then sighs. "Or not. I was weak, as you were all. The weak deserve little mercy. Pray be silent, that I may meditate and accept my coming doom."

LuckyStrike
2015-05-18, 04:15 PM
'Gloomy lot you are.' Says Jackx with a grin on his fat green face, instantly ignoring the woman's plead for silence. His golden teeth sparkle from the corner of his mouth as he talks.
'Personally I like praising the gods when I'm having a good day, not begging for attention on a bad one. It's my modest nature you see? A man should have some grace to his existence.'
He turns his head to the duchess of Monperieu and takes his time just looking at her. There's something in his eyes, or maybe it's the way he curls his lips ever so slightly, that makes it seem like he's really enjoying the view of the woman all chained up.
'Duchess eh? It just ain't right, locking up the nobles together with lowborn scum. There just ain't no standards any more this day and age.' he pauses a moment and shakes his head as if truly troubled by the standards this day and age. 'You on the way to the saltmines by any chance?'

Hamste
2015-05-18, 05:22 PM
Meh, close enough to almighty for my purposes. He dwarves us all so much that even if he isn't almighty he might as well be. Fairness is a bid to continue to hold power not a sign of weakness it is an invitation to symbiosis. A king might be the strongest in all the land but he becomes even stronger with followers. A general could be able kill a hundred men but a general with an army can kill tens of thousands. There is a reason why Vecna's followers are named after portions of his body. Vecna treats us fair granting us the secrets of power and we make him even greater than he already is. Chemosh tries to explain.

JDL
2015-05-18, 05:44 PM
"Finally! Someone who knows how to address nobility among this collection of ruffians," says Michelle, her posture and expression assuming a cultured tone as best she can despite the circumstances. "In fact... I recognize you sir! Seven months ago, Lord Cravesh's estate, a most spectacular display of pugilism among some of the talent that night if I recall correctly. How he managed to find one of those eastern ascetics who throw punches as fast as you can blink I'll never know, though I did my best to pull his source out of him. You were in attendance if I'm not mistaken. I think I may even have laid a bet with you perchance. Now I know these brutes are touched with madness, to incarcerate both a gentleman and lady of status such as ourselves!"

"As for my reason for being detained, I am sure you understand that I'm completely innocent. Obviously an enemy in the court has seen fit to smear my name with unspeakable accusations in an attempt to silence one of the King's most loyal and devoted supporters. Imagine, to treat one of royal blood, eleventh in line to the throne, in such a depraved and treasonous manner! When I'm released I shall return immediately to my estate and beat the confession out of the servant who has aided this heinous farce. Then we shall see real justice done! Good sir, know that I have powerful friends who will not stand idly by and allow me to come to harm. I shall see to it that a fellow gentleman of culture such as yourself receives the pardon to which he is rightfully due. There can be no doubt in my mind that this situation you find yourself in is falsely fabricated and will unravel at the slightest scrutiny."

"I wish the rest of you luck in praying to your gods," says Michelle, turning her attention to the other prisoners as if deigning to grant them the privilege of her time. "In my experience, however, the gods help those who help themselves. I've yet to see the most devout low-born rise above their station with the power of prayer. Blood and gold speak louder than any prayer, and I have heard men screaming supplications to their gods as they die. I've yet to see any answered with naught but silence."

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-18, 06:52 PM
Zarathustra's eyes flash as the preacher begins his rambling again, but his face betrays no change of expression otherwise. Finally he speaks again, his smile fixed and unnerving.

"There can be no symbiosis between the weak and the strong. The weak will live like parasites off of the strong, the men who can have nothing in common with them, and they will call it fairness."

He turns his gaze now to the noblewoman, still blathering on about her position. "Nothing is yours by birth, my Lady. If you are above these others, it is by the strength of your spirit - and if not," he says, his eyes flitting over her chains, "it is by its commonality."

Mechanix
2015-05-18, 07:14 PM
The orc stares visibly at the talkative prisonners, her face unreadable for a time - before finally rolling her eyes and buckling forward, her chains rattling loudly. "Ilneval! ILNEVAL! Give me the strength to break these chains or strike me down where I stand, but do not leave me here to endure the pointless philosophical ramblings of a handful of thieves and murderers doomed to die! Is this the punishment I deserve? Have I not been faithful and strong?" The chains rattle more loudly and there is a dull sound of rock as Blossom pulls on them, as if hoping to break them from the wall. "At least if I could break out I could challenge the guards and die fighting! This would be worthy! Instead I get to listen to you fools until they come in here and drag me out for beheading... And for the crimes of the nobility, too. I was their champion, their right hand; I did their bidding in battle. Why should they kill me, who was the arm, but not the will?"

Hamste
2015-05-18, 07:46 PM
There is a certain quality to quantity. With enough people you can out power many things. Who knows why a god would want that kind of strength but it must help them somehow.

Hey, I might have been convicted for murder but that one I actually didn't do. I just assisted in it very mildly. Descration, grave robbing, heresy and blasphemy I could see but just because I was next to the dead body with a ghoul didn't mean that I killed them. I definitely didn't steal things...except bodies from the grave but I left what ever things they were buried with. Not like anyone was using the bodies. Chemosh answers back.

momothefiddler
2015-05-18, 08:17 PM
"Exactly! I mean, nobody was using the things they were buried with either, but definitely not the corpses. But no, that's a capital offense, apparently. Probably because it exemplifies Pelor's lack of complete control. In the end, I think Talingarde has a bit of both of us - Hextor's iron grip on power hidden behind a Vecna-worthy pretense of... anything else."

Zlyak shoots a glance at the guard to see how he reacts to such blasphemy.

Hamste
2015-05-18, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I agree. I mean who would even notice if some items or corpses go missing from the graves. If they were so greedy they didn't want us using the bodies after death which they didn't even care enough about to check on somewhat regularly why didn't they just burn the bodies. I mostly tried to avoid taking items though. The ghouls liked newer bodies and I could never tell which things were easily identifiable as owned by that person. Last thing I wanted was to pawn off a ring only to find out it was specifically made for that person or for a specific organization. That and some of the people who recently died was from disease. I never got infected myself but I was always a bit nervous about causing an out break from selling or using diseased goods. Chemosh says.

Kish
2015-05-18, 10:00 PM
The guard is, indeed, unlocking your door and coming inside, but once inside, you quickly realize he was uninterested in, or perhaps even not listening to, Chemosh and Zlyak's blasphemy. Instead, his attention is entirely on Blossom's efforts to break her chains. "Stop that!" he demands, raising his club.

Before he can bring the club down, however, the door opens again and Sergeant Blackerly comes in, closely followed by six more guards.

There is an oddly dazed look to Blackerly's eyes. You recognize it as a sign of some kind of mental compulsion.

Blackerly points at Blossom and says gruffly, "You there! That's the scum! Get 'er unshackled. If any of you makes trouble, they'll earn a thrashing! Today's your lucky day, scum. You've got a visitor. How you ever warranted such a fine lady is beyond me. Seems she wants to say good-bye. Now step lively. We wouldn't want to keep her waiting."

Mechanix
2015-05-18, 10:17 PM
The orc scoffs, but at the mention of someone wanting to see her - at the prospect of being unshackled, even briefly, even with no true hope of escape - she calms down immediately, falling limp in her chains as the man opens them. When she's roughly brought up, she makes no trouble - though there is an obvious tension in her demeanor, a sullen look in her eyes. She wants to lash out. She wants to die fighting. But... she does not. Whether because she is hoping for another opportunity, or because she is not brave enough in truth... the question haunts her. She shakes her head. No time for such concerns.

"I knew people of wealth and status during my carreer, jailer. Perhaps they have come to pay their last respects, or their rivals to spit in my face." She shrugs. "Take me, I will make no trouble."

momothefiddler
2015-05-19, 11:43 AM
Zlyak settles down and remains still as the well-spoken orc is unchained.

"In case we do not meet again, glory unto you, sister."

Kish
2015-05-19, 08:11 PM
The guards lead Blossom out of the cell and lock the door again.

The guards lead you down the hall into a meeting room. Waiting for you there is a hauntingly beautiful elven woman with platinum blonde hair and dazzling green eyes, in an elegant black dress and soft silken veil. She looks as though she were going to a funeral, but you're very certain you've never seen her before. One of the guards shoves you roughly into a chair.

"Oh, dearest," the woman proclaims brokenheartedly, "I'm so relieved you're alive!" She turns to Blackerly. "Could we please have a moment alone, good sir? For pity's sake?"

Tomas blinks and looks befuddled. The way Blackerly is reacting does not look natural. Then he quickly says, "Of course, my lady. For you, 'tis no problem."

The guards leaves the room. As soon as the door closes, the strange woman's entire demeanor changes. A second ago, she was gazing at you like a woman watching a lover die; the look she's giving you now evokes the image of a scientist about to dissect a frog.

Mechanix
2015-05-19, 09:11 PM
Blossom has a brief smile for her fellow prisonner as he greets her out, but it quickly fades as she leaves the cell. Though she is surprised by what is happening around her, Blossom does not show it; she remains quietly stoic as the woman she has never met speaks as if they knew each other so well, and as the man leaves - but once the door closes, she immediately tenses up, not quite adopting a martial stance but nonetheless closing her fist and shifting her foots slightly so as to better react to... something. Anything. She doesn't know and it scares her. She looks at the woman silently for a few seconds - only when it's clear that she won't speak first does she say:

"Whoever you are, I am grateful for you to have taken these chains off me. I do not know what designs you have for me, but you gave me something I did not have before - a breath of freedom, and perhaps a chance at a better death. What do you wish of me now?"

Hamste
2015-05-19, 09:14 PM
Well, that happened. Anyways what else is there to do while we wait for death. Tag gets a lot less fun in chains. Chemosh says.

Kish
2015-05-19, 09:17 PM
"Call me Tiadora," the woman says. "We possess a mutual friend who would like to meet you and your cell-mates. Unfortunately, our friend is unwilling to visit you in your present rather shabby accommodations, so it seems you must escape. Just because it's never been done before is no reason you can't be the first. Remember, you have three days to escape before you die; if your first attempt fails, any further ones will be a lot harder."

"If you can manage that, cross the moors on the outskirts of town. On the old Moor Road you'll see a manor house with a single lantern burning in the second story. There our mutual friend waits. That is all I know. He did want me to give you this."

She takes off her silken veil and wipes away a few fake tears with it.

"Something to remember me by, dearest."

Mechanix
2015-05-19, 09:29 PM
Blossom... blinks. For a moment, she seems dumbfounded, bringing to mind the stereotypical slow wit of orcs. But then... she smiles, fiercely.

"A challenge, then? To do what none have done before. To test ourselves in the fire of adversity and earn a prize for it."

She reaches out, taking the silken veil and studying it for a moment. Then she puts it inside her prisoner's clothes, and smile again, then bows deeply.

"We shall be there on time, or we will have failed in such a way that the guards of this prison will tell the tale for years to come. But-" she pauses and her face hardens. "They will not. We will succeed. Thank you for... this purpose."

Kish
2015-05-19, 09:45 PM
Tiadora rises and the guards return. Immediately her demeanor changes and she is again a perfect picture of grief. "No, I can't bear to leave you!" She gives Blossom a kiss on the cheek. Her lips are ice-cold and something seems off about their feel beyond that.

Tomas shakes his head. "I'm afraid it's time, miss."

"Thank you for letting me say goodbye. There's no need to search her," Tiadora tells Blackerly. "You are such a good friend for letting me see her one last time."

"Such a good friend," Tomas repeats. Then he bows politely, "A pleasure, madam." Tiadora leaves unveiled.

The guards bring Blossom back to the cell and shackle her to the wall once more. This time, when they leave, they take the everburning torch that was illuminating the cell with them. You can see in the dim light that two guards, with a light source, probably the same everburning torch, are standing outside the cell block, but no one is directly outside your cell now, no one you can perceive is likely to overhear normal conversational tones or see anything that happens in the cell that isn't directly in the line of sight from outside the cell block.

Mechanix
2015-05-19, 09:55 PM
The orcish woman is compliant and quiet as the men put her back in chains. She remains silent for a time - ten minutes, maybe. The torch is gone. The guards are not nearby. She allows herself to grin slowly.

"Listen up, all of you," she said in hushed tones. "We have a benefactor outside the walls of this prison. He wants to meet with us, but he expects us to go to him. Which means - we must now do what no one else has done before, and escape Branderscar. This should be a challenge, but are we not many, and cunning?"

momothefiddler
2015-05-19, 10:16 PM
When Chemosh mentions further activity, Zlyak shrugs and shifts around, finding a comfortable position and dozing off, until the guards wake her when they bring Blossom back.

----

Zlyak lets out a brief laugh before she cuts it off. She hesitates for a moment, then speaks. "Truly, to be given our freedom would be no freedom at all." She recites, rote, "That which I would have, I must take. If I wait for something, I will receive, and deserve, naught." She looks back at the orc with a grin. "Many we are, indeed, and succeed we shall."

After a brief pause, the cold iron of her shackles ground her. "Admittedly, I'm not, ah, prepared to break literal chains, so I'm hoping we can work together in the attempt."

Hamste
2015-05-19, 10:34 PM
Sounds good to me not like I have anything better to do. I mean what are they going to do to us if we fail? Kill us? ...so how do we get out of these chains? If we can kill a guard I can probably make a holy symbol from the corpse. We could also wait a bit. We have a bit before we are executed right? Knowing some of the schedule could be helpful particularly if there is any point where we get out of the chains or at least not attached to the wall.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-20, 12:44 AM
"A patron? As if I needed their incentive to work my way out of this place... but if it inspires the rest of you, it is not for nothing.

Let us observe the schedule then," Zarathustra says, "Although I will be keeping an eye out for anything else unusual."

Looking around the cell in detail now for anything of note - are there any loose nails, screws, anything?

Also looking for:
- a bit of fleece
- a pinch of sand, rose petals, or a live cricket

YAY manual spell components

JDL
2015-05-20, 07:12 PM
"Wonderful. They expect us to leave on our own? If this is the help I was expecting, it's depressingly poor quality. Rather like the locks they've used, come to think of it," says Michelle, eyeing the locks on the manacles that bind her hands. She arches her body in a rather exotic manner to examine them, and from inside her mouth she produces a sliver of wood she managed to break off from her last meal's spoon handle. Guiding the shard inside the lock, she experiments with the lock mechanism, seeking the tumbler release.

Disable Device Checks:

(Success vs. 20, Critical Failure vs. 5 or below. Taking 10 on any related skill check i.e. Stealth 18, Sleight of Hand 18 to minimize noise of Disable Device)

-4 circumstance penalty applied to all rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

JDL
2015-05-20, 07:14 PM
Her very first attempt triggers a screeching sound of metal, and Michelle quickly resumes her previous place rather than continue to attempt to unlock herself, sure that the noise will have alerted the guards.

Kish
2015-05-20, 07:33 PM
"What was that sound?" a voice from outside the cell block says. A few seconds pass and then another voice says, "A rat?"

A few more minutes pass without the guards expressing any further concerns.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-20, 07:53 PM
Zarathustra looks in the direction of the guards outside disdainfully. "It'd be best to have a plan of action before you try that again, anyway," he says. "No use in you getting them off if you just wait around in here until they come check on us again at a mealtime. Then you might not get the chance to do it again..."

Mechanix
2015-05-20, 07:53 PM
"Try again!" Blossom hisses at the noblewoman. "You're our best chance! Once you're out of these, you can set me free, and I can take them if they come!"

momothefiddler
2015-05-20, 08:02 PM
Zlyak grins. "Save some for me. I've had enough of their pompous demeanor."

JDL
2015-05-20, 08:04 PM
Michelle rolls her eyes and after a few minutes of no further activity outside, she resumes her attempt to unlock herself.

Disable Device Checks:

(Success vs. 20, Critical Failure vs. 5 or below. Taking 10 on any related skill check i.e. Stealth 18, Sleight of Hand 18 to minimize noise of Disable Device)

-4 circumstance penalty applied to all rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

JDL
2015-05-20, 08:13 PM
It takes her three tries, but in less than thirty seconds the manacles fall from her hands. She catches them and carefully lowers their chains to reduce the noise as she rubs her wrists. She nods and makes eye contact with the other cell mates, debating quietly which to free first before moving over to the orc named Blossom quietly. She lifts her finger to her lips and makes it very clear she expects the rest to remain silent. Then she sets to work and tries to open each of the other prisoners manacles in turn.

Disable Device Checks:

(Success vs. 20, Critical Failure vs. 7 or below. Taking 10 on any related skill check i.e. Stealth 18, Sleight of Hand 18 to minimize noise of Disable Device and any movement in cell)

Below is the order of Michelle's attempts to release the others. I've rolled ten attempts each. If I succeed on the DC 20 check, assume the remaining rolls do not occur. If I critically fail, assume I move back to my original position and attempt to disguise myself as still being bound. If I don't critically fail but don't meet the DC 20 either, I'll reroll more checks to confirm the outcome.

#1: Blossom
-2 circumstance penalty applied to all rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

JDL
2015-05-20, 08:15 PM
In less than thirty seconds Blossom's manacles are released. Michelle moves over towards Jackx next, quietly continuing her work.

Disable Device Checks:

(Success vs. 20, Critical Failure vs. 7 or below. Taking 10 on any related skill check i.e. Stealth 18, Sleight of Hand 18 to minimize noise of Disable Device and any movement in cell)

Below is the order of Michelle's attempts to release the others. I've rolled ten attempts each. If I succeed on the DC 20 check, assume the remaining rolls do not occur. If I critically fail, assume I move back to my original position and attempt to disguise myself as still being bound. If I don't critically fail but don't meet the DC 20 either, I'll reroll more checks to confirm the outcome.

#2: Jackx
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

JDL
2015-05-20, 08:21 PM
The lock on Jackx's manacles falls off at her touch without any apparent effort, and Michelle quickly moves over to Zarathustra and pokes the splinter inside the lock on his bindings.

Disable Device Checks:

#3: Zarathustra
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

JDL
2015-05-20, 08:23 PM
It takes her less than thirty seconds again to release Zarathustra, and she smiles grimly as she steps quietly over to Zlyak and checks her lock.

Disable Device Checks:

#4: Zlyak
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

JDL
2015-05-20, 08:25 PM
Zlyak's lock clicks with a single tug of Michelle's improvised pick, and wasting no time she moves to release Chemosh.

Disable Device Checks:

#5: Chemosh
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Mechanix
2015-05-20, 08:30 PM
As the manacles finally release her wrists, Blossom lets out a sigh and rubs her wrists, testing the flexibility of her muscles with a critical look. Her eyes alight when she sees the chains lying in the unoccupied spots along the wall - she takes one and wraps it around her left forearm, to have it available but avoid making too much noise. Once this is done, she fishes the piece of Tiadora's veil and brandishes to the rest of the room.

"This was given to me by our benefactor; I suspect it is magic. Can any of you inspect it, and perhaps use it?"

JDL
2015-05-20, 08:32 PM
Chemosh is released in an instant, and Michelle gives them all a self-satisfied smirk.

"Unless anyone has further plans, shall we see how the guards react to the first group of prisoners to escape Branderscar in history?" whispers Michelle, checking the cell door to see if it's locked, and patiently listening for any movement outside.

First taking 10 on Perception at the door to check it for traps or alarms, then to see if it's locked, then to listen for any sound on the other side or peek through the window in the door.

Next taking 20 on listening for guards.

If door is locked, will attempt to unlock after Perception results.

Hamste
2015-05-20, 08:39 PM
That was surprisingly easy. Now we just need to get out of the cell and the prison. I can check, I thankfully don't need a holy symbol for that one. Let's just hope there is nothing in this cell that checks for magic...but given the current security I doubt that. I only have it prepared once though so if we need any more magic checks someone else will have to do it. Chemosh whispers. He mutters under his breath and does some hand movements before looking at the veil and then everywhere around here possible.

momothefiddler
2015-05-20, 08:39 PM
Zlyak gives Michelle a brief nod of thanks and rubs her wrists. "Should we creep out now, or should we wait until someone comes by and brain him so we're not discovered so soon?" She chooses a nice length of chain - one on the end of a bar, if possible - to hang onto.

Kish
2015-05-20, 08:56 PM
50 XP each for escaping the manacles.

The cell door is locked and does not appear to be trapped, the veil radiates a moderate (9th-level) transmutation aura, and none of the guards appears to be any kind of spellcaster as far as you've seen; all of them have longswords, clubs, longbows, chain shirts, and heavy steel shields, except Blackerly, who has chainmail and lacks the shield, club, and bow. The guards remain outside the cell block and do not seem to be reacting to anything you're doing.

Hamste
2015-05-20, 09:11 PM
Yep, it is magical. Transmutation magic with a pretty strong strong aura. If I had to guess we might somehow get the items on it out of it given what is on it. Chemosh says after looking the veil over.

Mechanix
2015-05-20, 09:21 PM
Blossom frowns. "Magic. Well, it's not my domain." She hands the veil to Chemosh. "See if you can use it in some way, since you understand these things better than I do. I shall be content with these chains for now. As for our plan... I suggest we let the mage see if he can use the veil, then we creep out. Waiting for a guard to come raises the risk that he may send an alarm before we take him out. We need to be proactive. I'm already worried that they haven't come check on us yet."

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-20, 09:22 PM
Zarathustra bares his teeth and flexes his hands, stretching them out as he rubs his wrists.

"I doubt it will matter much in the end if we wait longer. I say we act now, with the element of surprise... although I will see if I can make any use of the Veil."

His eyes flick towards the sounds of the guards outside as he takes the veil and runs it through his fingers, seeing if he can determine any way to use it. "Perhaps one of them has a spell component pouch out there. I can't do much without one currently."

JDL
2015-05-20, 09:22 PM
"Well in that case," says Michelle, attempting to pull the item that looks like thieves' tools free from the cloth.

Kish
2015-05-20, 09:33 PM
Zarathustra notes that all the patches on the veil feel lumpy. Michelle's approach produces a more dramatic result and, in fact, exactly what she's looking for as she's suddenly holding a set of masterwork thieves' tools.

Mechanix
2015-05-20, 09:36 PM
"You were right," Blossom whispers more to herself than to anyone else. "And there are weapons on this." Reaching out for the veil, she attempts to draw out one of the blades.

Kish
2015-05-20, 09:37 PM
Mechanix pulls a dagger from the veil. It looks like a sharp but perfectly ordinary (and non-masterwork) dagger.

Hamste
2015-05-20, 09:40 PM
Interesting. Then what is this and what is with the window? Chemosh says reaching for the pyramid shape thing.

Kish
2015-05-20, 09:44 PM
As Chemosh pulls at the patch that resembles a pyramid, a sudden torrent of gold coins pours onto the floor.

If you pause to count them, there are a hundred gold pieces in all.

Mechanix
2015-05-20, 09:48 PM
"Urgh. Tiny and useless. But this will do well enough until I can get an axe, I sup-"

And then gold spills all over the floor, and her eyes boggle.

"What have you done? Stop pulling random things out of that! If there's something in there that may be useful, take it, but don't just draw it at random! Someone else take a dagger, and maybe that pouch thing, and that should be enough. We need to go."

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-20, 09:48 PM
"Coin may not be the most useful in our present situation... unless perhaps the guards are not as pious as they would like to think?

But we can get out of here without bribing them, I am sure."

Zarathustra pulls on the picture that appears to be a pouch hopefully, and if nothing goes wrong, the vial - perhaps there was a potion?

He keeps his eyes open to see if the guards noticed the sound of the coins spilling.

Mechanix
2015-05-20, 09:52 PM
"Someone take off their shirt and use it to make some kind of bag we can keep this gold in. We're not wasting this wealth."

Kish
2015-05-20, 09:54 PM
Zarathustra pulls from the veil a sack which proves to hold six suits of ordinary clothing and a number of spell components: cobwebs, stunned barely-alive crickets, sand. Nothing that costs more than one gold piece, however. Then Zarathustra pulls out a small bottle that holds some kind of liquid.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-20, 09:54 PM
Zarathustra shrugs, and removes his garment, scooping the coins as quietly as he can. The tattoos run down his entire body, with no particular pattern or form to them. He quickly begins to change into the ordinary garments he retrieved from the veil.

"Someone else can carry it, though."

Hamste
2015-05-20, 09:55 PM
...whoops. At least we could put the gold in the pack. Now how do we draw the guards out? What if we unlocked the door and rolled a coin out. The next time they go by they see the glitter of gold when they bend down to pick it up and we rush them to get their gear? I wonder what the window and pentagram does? Probably shouldn't waste that. Might want to wait switching. Even in normal clothes we stick out like a sore thumb here and when we do need it we don't want it to be covered in blood. Chemosh says wrapping a chain around his waist to use as an impromptu club and then picking up as many coins as he could.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-20, 09:57 PM
Zarathustra grabs a cricket and continues, "Let me see if I can deal with the guards out there... with any luck they'll go asleep without any noise, and then we can slit their throats quietly."

He hands the vial to the priest. "Is your spell still active - see any magic here?"

Hamste
2015-05-20, 10:01 PM
It is for a bit. It lasts about a minute as long as I don't cast anything else and nothing breaks my concentration. Chemosh says looking at the vial and everything else drawn out so far. Assuming he can use the sack now he puts the gold in it and draws out the other weapon to examine it and hand off.

Kish
2015-05-20, 10:03 PM
The vial has a minor aura of Conjuration, equivalent to a first-level spell. Neither dagger seems to be magical.

Hamste
2015-05-20, 10:16 PM
Conjuration and a very mild aura. I would guess a cure potion. I would guess it cures very light wounds so try not to get yourself cut in half...or get hurt at all. I don't prepare cure spells so unless any of you can or get healed by negative spells, wounds are not going to be really solvable. None of the daggers are magical by the way. I wonder what the star is for or the window. Chemosh whispers.

Any knowledge checks we could make on either or?

JDL
2015-05-20, 10:37 PM
Michelle nods at Zarathustra, liking the sound of his plan. "Try it. If any of them fall asleep, I claim first right to throat cutting as payment for releasing you all," says Michelle, taking a dagger from Chemosh and testing the point. She quickly pulls on a set of the clothes, leaving her prison uniform inside the bag. Then she steps over to the door and uses her new tools on the lock. She stands up from the lock when it clicks open, nodding to Zarathustra and putting her hand on the door.

Disable Device on door lock:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Move Action: Open cell door

LuckyStrike
2015-05-20, 11:50 PM
Jackx had become quiet when Blossom was escorted out. He must have dozed off a bit from boredom, as he sometimes did, because when he woke up someone was fiddling with his manacles. He lazily opened just his left eye to check what was going on.. Low and behold! It was the duchess!
The grin on Jackx face nearly split his face in half.
He was pleasantly surprised because he had written the woman off on all accounts. She hadn't seemed the type to flourish in a place like this, and for a mark.. had she even something worth while to take, she seemed too sharp to fool easily. Remembering events and faces from months ago. Still.. as an ally she was worth considering. He decided to play nice, as Jacks usually did when he could get something out of it.

'Thanks my dear.' He says as he rubs his wrists to stimulate the blood flow.
'Here's hoping to be able to return the favor someday.'

Jackx wasn't sure if it was smart to unlock everybody but wisely kept his mouth shut. The last thing he needed was for one of these maniac zealots to strangle him after being set free.
Events moved fast as the items came about and when the gold fell to the floor Jacks couldn't contain a snigger.
What a day!
He scooped up just a small handful. For a rainy day.

'Now what? These people seem to be getting ready to take on the guards.'
Jacks glances back at the shackles and tries to determine just how fast he could lock himself back in them when the plan fails? To distance himself from the escape attempt. For now he decides to go with the flow, who knows? There might be a sunrise to enjoy just yet.

'This is some exciting turn of events, and you my dear, you can cut all the guards throats you like if it were up to me. go forth and quench your bloodthirst!'

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-20, 11:53 PM
Zarathustra steps up quietly behind her, heading through the door as soon as it opens and towards the sounds of the guards. He does not even pause to speak before he sends his spell towards them...

Casting Sleep, Will DC 15

Mechanix
2015-05-21, 12:08 AM
"If you wish to kill any of the guards, make sure you don't wake them up and ruin the whole thing," Blossom says to the noblewoman in a simple, matter-of-fact tone. Having studied the dagger a little, she strikes at the air a couple of times, testing its balance and thrust. Good enough. She closes her eyes briefly, her whole body relaxing, and extends her dagger forward - then tenses again, a sharpness coming across her features.

"When we're out, let me take the lead," she says calmly. "I am hardier than you."

Assuming Punishing Stance.

momothefiddler
2015-05-21, 01:16 AM
Zlyak takes up the rear, gripping her chain firmly to keep it from making noise. She carefully observes the others' reactions to freedom and to loose money (and to potential murder victims).

She looks to Blossom. "I imagine you are. Feel free to lead, certainly."

Kish
2015-05-21, 08:48 AM
Zarathustra fires his spell toward the barred window in the door at the end of the cell block.

[roll0]
[roll1]

You hear the sound of a body falling, followed by a confused voice saying, "What? What's happening?"
Will roll for initiative in OOC, since I can't edit in rolls. I'll usually do everyone's initiative rolls to save time.

Kish
2015-05-21, 09:23 AM
Map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) You can place yourselves anywhere in 18A or 18. Blue text represents the sleeping guard. Note that there are mouse-over notes that you won't be able to see if you're viewing it on a phone.

>> Zarathustra: [24]
>> Blossom: [23]
>> Jackx: [16]
The guard: [15]
Zlyak: [11]
Michelle: [7]
Chemosh: [6]

Surprise round over, Zarathustra, Blossom, and Jackx can act before the guard does. If the door between you isn't locked, opening it would be a move-equivalent action.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-21, 11:05 AM
Zarathustra narrows his eyes as the guard falls. "Sounds like the one is still up. Let's see if we can get him before he has a chance to scream."

With that, he rushes towards the door in front of the guards and opens it for Blossom and the others to rush through.

End turn in Z15

Kish
2015-05-21, 11:11 AM
The door is not locked; Zarathustra can open it with no trouble. The still-standing guard gapes at you in alarm.
Clarification: Are you standing on the sleeping guard?

I've put you in Z15 for the moment.

LuckyStrike
2015-05-21, 01:30 PM
'What the hell. If this is what that stinking cheap harlot Lady Luck had to offer I might as well go with it. let's bust this joint.'

Jackx runs after Blossom and Zarathustra. His heart is pounding from excitement. This could easily spell a short and violent end but the alternative, the saltmines, make that he's got more than enough motivation to try and make it out of Brandescar. The group he found himself in seems vicious and capable enough in any case, even if a bit composed of unstable elements. It would have to do.
As Jackxs is caught up in the gang-rush of the guards he nervously looks about him looking very much out of place in a fight.

Double move to AA15

Mechanix
2015-05-21, 02:12 PM
The orc flashes across the corridor, the flickering light of torches dancing on her blade. She steps up to the mage as he casts his spell, willing to shield him; the magic bursts from his hand, one guard falls, and she immediately moves forward, rushing so as to occupy half the corridor; the dagger's blade, held high, slices across the air.

"En garde," she says simply, smiling a terrible grin full of tusks and gleaming eyes, inviting the man to strike.

Kish
2015-05-21, 04:48 PM
With a terrified yelp, the man turns to run across the room. As Blossom's swipe misses him, he runs to AA19 and grabs a trumpet from the desk there.
The guard's movement provokes an attack of opportunity from Blossom. One blow with a dagger is unlikely to drop him, so after that, everyone in the party acts before his next turn.
>>Zlyak: [11]
>>Michelle: [7]
>>Chemosh: [6]
>> Zarathustra: [24]
>> Blossom: [23]
>> Jackx: [16]
The guard: [15]

Hamste
2015-05-21, 08:05 PM
Chemosh bided his time. If it looked like his allies weren't going to take the guard out he would try to shut them down but best to conserve spells particularly seeing he only had one aggressive spell that didn't need a holy symbol.

Are you a cleric of Hextor or do you just worship him and more importantly if you are cleric do you have any fear spells prepared? If they fail to take the guard down I'm going to try to scare this guy into having a heart attack or at least not using the trumpet but if he manages to resist it, another fear spell would help. Chemosh whispers to Zylak. He would have asked the other spell caster in the group but refrained as the guard would hear it.

Waiting currently until right before the guard acts.

momothefiddler
2015-05-21, 09:32 PM
"A cleric, yes," answers Zlyak, "And I do favor a bit of divine terror now and then. I'll see what I can do to help."
Which is nothing whatsoever, this round, given movement speeds, as far as I can tell. Zlyak moves up to AB19.

Mechanix
2015-05-22, 08:01 AM
"Coward! Stay here!" the orc growls, and as the man turns his back she steps forward and throws a low kick at his right ankle, trying to make him fall before he escapes them.

Attack roll against touch AC:
[roll0]
Strength check for trip:
[roll1]

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-22, 12:53 PM
Zarathustra makes an instinctive but clumsy swipe at the guard as he dashes towards the horn, attempting to bash him with the chain.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Mechanix
2015-05-22, 01:36 PM
"Enough." The orc woman catches herself, finds her footing, makes a strange move - dropping the dagger and catching it again in a reverse grip - closes her eyes and find one moment of inner focus. Breathes in slowly. Opens her eyes.

She bursts across the room, the steel of her blade glimmering in the dim light, one arc to slash the guard's throat and kill him in one blow.

Imove to Z19. Sapphire Nightmare Blade. I make one Concentration check at a DC of the guard's AC. If I succeed, he is flat-footed against my attack and I deal +1d6 damage; if not, I take -2 penalty to my attack and deal normal damage.

Concentration check:

Attack roll:
[roll1]
Damage roll:
[roll]1d4+1d6+5
Bonus damage from SNB:
[roll2]

Kish
2015-05-22, 01:54 PM
Blossom's dagger slash severs a major blood vessel and the guard collapses to the floor, dropping the trumpet.
Well done. That was actually very close; his standard AC was 17 and his flat-footed AC was 16.

Each of you gains 150 more XP. Both guards have chain shirts, leather clubs of the non-improvised variety, longswords, heavy steel shields, longbows, quivers of 20 arrows each, and each has a key.
There is a sleeping guard by the door and a dying guard by the desk. The noise of the fight does not seem to have attracted any further attention.

LuckyStrike
2015-05-22, 01:59 PM
'Good show.' Jackx comes up behind Blossom. 'Close call though. I'll take this rusty beauty.. Don't worry, don't plan on playing it just yet.' He says with a smile as he picks up the trumpet.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-22, 02:02 PM
Zarathustra bears a feral grin at the sight of Blossom's brutality. An excellent kill... he steps forward to the dead body, grabbing the leather club and the key.

He looks back at the sleeping one. "I believe you claimed the right to that ones throat, then?" he looks at Michelle.

Mechanix
2015-05-22, 02:06 PM
Blossom kneels next to the dying guard, a pool of blood forming his head. She stares grimly into his dying eyes. "You should have faced me in battle. It would have been a better death." And with these words, she pulls his chain shirt up to reveal his chest, and slips the dagger between his ribs, stabbing him through the heart.

Once her grim work is done, she quickly strips the chain shirt off him, takes his belt and the longsword hanging on it, and finally the shield.

"This feels much better," she comments approvingly.

momothefiddler
2015-05-22, 02:20 PM
Zlyak blinks slowly as a blade flashes in front of her and drops the guard. A grin spreads across her face as she looks to Blossom. "Very nice. Artfully done. I should have enjoyed watching you duel." She checks the desk for anything of import (including some writing materials), then, if no-one else claims it, picks up the club off Michelle's guard.

Hamste
2015-05-22, 02:24 PM
Chemosh walks up to the corpse picking up the other longsword. He chops the left hand off the corpse and carefully pries an eyeball out. If he succeeds he tosses away the longsword to who ever wants it. He carefully balances the eyeball in the hand and looks through the guard's items for something to hold the two together and possibly allow him to have a free hand with out having to hold them together constantly.

I can use either a club or a dagger but I am not good with either so everyone else should take priority on that. Chemosh says.

JDL
2015-05-22, 08:17 PM
Michelle takes the longbow from Blossom's slain guard as well as the arrows. Then she stands over the sleeping guard, pulling an arrow free and aiming it at his man's heart.

"For your crimes of violating my person, I, the Duchess of Monperieu, sentence you to death."

Full Round Action: Coup-de-grace with longbow vs. sleeping guard
Critical: 3d8+3+1d6 (Point Blank Shot applied)

Confirming the guard is dead, she takes the additional arrows from the guard's quiver and strips him of his chain shirt and dons it.

"I'll check the rest of these cells. If there are other prisoners they may well provide us aid in escaping."

Michelle checks the rest of the cells, taking the guard's keys, putting away the longbow and keeping her dagger in one hand.

Kish
2015-05-22, 08:27 PM
Chemosh binds his grotesque improvised holy symbol together with the guard's belt. The other ordinary cells are all unlocked and empty. At the end of the hall that leads down the cell block is a cell which is larger, more powerfully reinforced, and http://i57.tinypic.com/14cw6yw.png.

JDL
2015-05-22, 08:31 PM
"You there, do you understand Common?" says Michelle, eyeing the creature before her. "If you intend to survive this place, you would do well to ally with us."

momothefiddler
2015-05-23, 03:35 AM
With no apparent contenders, Zlyak takes possession of the remaining club, shield, and key. She then follows Michelle down the hall, checking the other cells.

Kish
2015-05-23, 02:25 PM
The ogre blinks at Michelle. "So you killed de other little 'uns," he comments. "Get me out of 'ere and I'll smash our way out of 'ere."

JDL
2015-05-23, 05:54 PM
Nodding, Michelle releases the creature, remaining wary of it attacking her. "We have another ally!" she calls to the rest of the group.

Staying focused on the creature in case it tries to ambush or sneak attack me, dagger drawn and ready.

Mechanix
2015-05-23, 06:02 PM
Blossom worriedly follows the noblewoman, concerned that she might do something inconsiderate. When she sees the ogre behind the bars, she takes a step back in surprise, but quickly masks her apprehension - freeing this beast could be either their death or their salvation, and she doesn't want the choice to rest on her; so when Michelle chooses to open the gate, she simply falls in behind her, cautiously watching the monster's actions.

Kish
2015-05-23, 08:34 PM
The key found on the guard doesn't fit the lock, but the one on the hook by the door does. The ogre emerges from the cell, starts to say something, then leans against the wall for a minute. "Need...need a weapon," he rumbles. "You have a plan, little 'uns?"

Hamste
2015-05-23, 08:52 PM
Are you ok? If they were starving you there are some dead guards you can eat but we haven't seen anything other than that to eat yet. Chemosh says as he comes and sees the creature leaning on the wall.

Heal check to see if I recognize anything wrong with the ogre with out a thorough examination.
[roll0]

JDL
2015-05-23, 09:19 PM
"No weapons your size I'm afraid. We took what we could from the guards, and there are chains in the cells you could use, but I've yet to see any cache of weapons on this floor. Come, the more time we waste the better the odds the guards will realize there's something afoot and raise the alarm," says Michelle, leading the group to the only obvious exit. She pauses quickly to determine if the everburning torch the guards were using is nearby anywhere, taking it with her if possible. Then she waves the rest of the group forward, stopping only to search the desk nearby for anything of interest.

Searching desk with Perception, taking 10 for 14 total to discover anything of note, then descending stairs to lower area of prison, taking 10 on Stealth and Perception to hide, move silently and listen or spot anything ahead in hopes of catching it by surprise. Stealth total of 16 after armour check penalty.

momothefiddler
2015-05-24, 01:38 PM
Zlyak follows Michelle, leaving a good distance so she doesn't ruin the noblewoman's sneakiness.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Kish
2015-05-24, 02:34 PM
The everburning torch stands in a sconce, easily grabbed. The ogre takes the sword Chemosh offers him, grimacing dubiously. It looks like a shortsword in his hand. "Not starved. Somethin' funny in the water." He heads down the stairs after Michelle and Zlyak.

Is everyone wearing the civilian clothes from the veil now? I know Michelle is, but not everyone said as much.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

One of the guards says, "There's someone."

Once an important coastal castle, the old Castle Branding long ago ceased having any military importance. The last warfare seen here was over eighty years ago, during the war of succession between House Barca and House Darius.

momothefiddler
2015-05-24, 03:05 PM
Zlyak eyes the ogre appraisingly. "If it doesn't wear off, we'll see what we can do about that."

Yes! Civilian clothing for Zlyak. Also I just realized the shield reduced my earlier Stealth check by 2. Not that it matters.

Hamste
2015-05-24, 03:09 PM
Ah, probably just drugs or mild poison then. I imagine it won't be permanent at least but yes if it continues I'm sure we could fix it somehow. Chemosh says. He continues to hang back clutching to his holy symbol. He definitely didn't want to mess anything up with his lack of stealthiness so he was in the back of what ever the group was doing.

Chemosh hasn't yet. He felt that even in civilian clothes he stuck out like a sore thumb and didn't want blood to get on his clothes for when they do get out.

Mechanix
2015-05-24, 04:32 PM
Something in the water? "I don't like that," Blossom says darkly. She eyes the ogre up and down, thinking for a moment. She doesn't know him. But they're all in this together, and if one of them has a weakness they need to be shouldered by the others. She draws her sword, falling in behind the towering beast. "I'll be by your side." She walks down with him, sword in hand, ready for things to go south.

Standing next to the ogre. Blossom is wearing the civilian clothes, but she is also wearing the guard's chain shirt.

JDL
2015-05-24, 07:10 PM
"Excuse me gentlemen," says Michelle, concealing her dagger and walking up to the guard with the horn. "Can you direct me to Sergeant Blackerly? I'm supposed to deliver a message to him personally and I can't for the life of me find his office."

Sleight of Hand to steal horn vs. DC 20:

[roll0]

Kish
2015-05-25, 03:15 PM
"He's--" one of the guards starts, then both the guards see Michelle try to grab the trumpet. "Hey! What are you doing?"

>>Zarathustra: [roll3]
>>Jackx: [roll4]
Guard #1: [roll7]
Michelle: [roll2]
The ogre: [roll6]
Chemosh: [roll0]
Blossom: [roll5]
Guard #2 (with the trumpet): [roll8]
Zlyak: [roll1]

Zarathustra acts before the first guard, Jackx at the same time as the first guard.

LuckyStrike
2015-05-25, 04:09 PM
As Michelle walks over to the guards Jackx finds himself captivated by the woman. Her elegant stride and the dagger hidden so easily behind her back fill him with wonder. When she plunged the arrow into the heart of the guard upstairs he had felt it too, although at the time he was too busy being pleasantly surprised, thinking to himself she wasn't the boring aristocrat he thought she was. Now he saw her for what she really was.
His deep voice rolls through the old stone halls of castle Branding. Although Jackx speaks to himself more than anyone, his words reach all.

'Black as blight,
Cold as ice,
The Angel of death,
Is with me tonight.
What she wants,
I may never know,
Into the abyss,
This night I must go.'

Use a bardic music to inspire courage. (+1 vs morale and fear checks; +1 attack and damage for all allies that hear.)

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-25, 04:27 PM
Zarathustra stands a distance back from Michelle as she deals with guards. Perhaps she would be able to take the horn unawares - but no. He springs into action before the man can finish his sentence, stepping forward and conjuring up a sickening wall of black smoke to engulf the guards. It would only last a few seconds, but with any luck the two men would spend their next moments puking helplessly on the floor. No more than they deserved.

"Don't go into the smoke," he tells the other escapees as he finishes it. "It won't last long, but it is effective."

Move to W25
Cast Wall of Smoke covering the two guards, U-X21.

Fort save DC 16 or be nauseated one round.

Kish
2015-05-25, 04:56 PM
The guard without the trumpet spends his action making choking noises.

>> Michelle: [13]
>> The ogre: [12]
>> Chemosh: [8]
>> Blossom: [8]
Guard #2 (with the trumpet): [7]
Zlyak: [6]
Zarathustra: [17]
Jackx: [14]
Guard #1: [14]

Michelle is up. After she acts, the ogre, whose size prevents him from having a straight line to charge, will growl "Move outta my way!" and delay his action until Zlyak acts; Chemosh and Blossom should go ahead and act.

JDL
2015-05-25, 05:25 PM
"Fine, the hard way it is!" says Michelle, stepping back to attack the guard with her longbow.

Free Action: 5 ft. step to v23
Move Action: Draw longbow
Standard Action: Ranged attack vs. Guard 2's flat-footed AC
Attack: [roll0] (Point Blank Shot, Inspire Courage applied)
Damage: [roll1] and [roll2] Sneak Attack (Point Blank Shot, Inspire Courage applied)
Critical: [roll3] if attack is natural 20
Bonus: [roll4] damage on critical

Mechanix
2015-05-25, 05:26 PM
"We don't have time. The horn-" The entire room comes into sharp focus as she sets her eyes on the two guards. One coughing, temporarily incapacitated. The other enduring the smoke, the trumpet at his side. This man has to die now.

This night I must go...

The song brings back memories. The hilt of the blade feels right under her fingers. It's not her axe - but it will do. One flick of her wrist and she tosses her shield aside, both hands grasping the sword. She tightens her grip and races across the room, slicing downwards at the guard's chest as she abandons defense for offense.

Charge to X22. Attack benefits from punishing stance and morale bonus. Two-handing a longsword gives me half-again my strength bonus.
Attack roll:
[roll0]
Damage roll:
[roll1]
Punishing Stance:
[roll2]

Kish
2015-05-25, 05:27 PM
Michelle's arrow misses the guard cleanly. The ogre raises his sword but is unable to charge past Zlyak; he growls "Move outta my way!"

Chemosh and Blossom are up, then the guard.

Edit: Blossom is going to miss.

Hamste
2015-05-25, 05:47 PM
Fine...I will use my only useful magic to solve this problem. Chemosh says before muttering and moving his arms around. Despite not needing it he presents his holy symbol towards the guard just for shock value. If the guard was weak willed that might stop them but it seems like the best chance.

Chemosh moves closer if needed and uses cause fear

DC 16 will save or be frightened for [roll]1d4[/rounds] a successful save still causes shaken for 1 round

Kish
2015-05-25, 06:08 PM
The guard turns and pulls the door open, running out of the keep. Seeing the guard move out farther than he can charge anyway, the ogre stops delaying and runs after him. Unfortunately, after plunging into the wall of smoke, the ogre stops to gag.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) is updated. F is a fountain; its centerpiece is a statue of St. Dothan the Just, pointing a sword at the building you're in. At the base of the statue is an inscription, "Thus is justice done." North past the fountain is the gatehouse. This is the way you were brought in; as far as you know it's the only way in or out, short of flying.

>> Zlyak: [6]
>> Zarathustra: [17]
>> Jackx: [14]
Michelle: [13]
Chemosh: [8]
Blossom: [8]
Guard #2 (with the trumpet): [7]
The ogre: [7] (delayed)

Blossom gets an attack of opportunity as the guard opens the door. After that Zlyak, Zarathustra, and Jackx are up; Jackx acts simultaneously with Guard 1.

momothefiddler
2015-05-25, 06:16 PM
Zlyak moves up, chasing the guard, but stops well shy of the smoke, instead murmuring a short prayer. "Lord of Tyranny, grant me the strength to put these scum in their proper place."

Move to AA25, activate Divine Might.

LuckyStrike
2015-05-27, 02:45 AM
Jackx runs forward after the fighters and sticks close behind the ogre. He holds the trumpet tight, mostly because it's the only thing he's got but also in case one of these criminal maniacs get any ideas.

Move to AC 22

Mechanix
2015-05-27, 02:58 AM
Without another word, Blossom's sword comes back to slice again, attempting to hobble the guard before he can run away.

Attack of Opportunity:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll]1d8+8[/roll
Punishing Stance:
[roll1]

Kish
2015-05-27, 05:41 AM
Blossom's sword cuts one of the guard's legs off and he falls, dropping the trumpet. (Map adjusted accordingly; the ogre still moves into the wall of smoke while closing with the remaining guard.)

Kish
2015-05-28, 10:31 AM
More than 24 hours have passed, so:
The still-standing guard, recovering his ability to breathe as the smoke dissipates, gapes in horror at his mutilated companion. He looks briefly at the trumpet that fell from his companion's hand but, looking from the ogre to Blossom, turns and runs to the south. He passes Michelle (would get an AoO but isn't holding a melee weapon) and Zlyak (does get an AoO) and (if he survives) turns to wrench at the door to your south.

>>Michelle: [13]
>> Chemosh: [8]
>> Blossom: [8]
>> The ogre: [7] (delayed)
>> Zlyak: [6]
>> Zarathustra: [17]
>> Jackx: [14]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) updated.
Everyone should go ahead and post; the ogre won't disrupt any of your actions even if you act after him, and you all act before (or at the same time as, for Jackx) the guard acts again.

Hamste
2015-05-28, 11:04 AM
Chemosh waits. He could convert a spell to inflict wounds but it was so weak it would be better if someone else handled it.

Delaying until right before the guard's turn.

momothefiddler
2015-05-28, 03:23 PM
Zlyak sees the guard coming and takes a swing at his leg, then follows up with another at his head.

Trip with Weapon:
Touch attack: [roll0]
Opposed Strength: [roll1]

If successful, attack. If not, move to AA31 and then attack.
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

LuckyStrike
2015-05-28, 03:50 PM
Jackx quickly gets down on his knees and starts going through the mutilated remains of the guard searching for useful knick-nacks and possibly a weapon.

Mechanix
2015-05-28, 04:08 PM
"Trumpets and running away. Does none of you know how to fight?" the orc snarls as the guard escapes. Before he can reach the door, she rushes him, sword braced high and slicing towards his head.

Charge to Z31 and attack.
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]
Punishing stance:
[roll2]

Kish
2015-05-29, 01:19 PM
Michelle moves toward the running guard and fires an arrow at him, which flies wide. Zlyak strikes a severe blow to the guard's head. Blossom charges the guard but misses. The ogre, unable to charge with the rest of you in the way, closes with the guard, raising his sword. Meanwhile, Jackx loots the fallen guard.

Michelle's attack: [roll0] (Point Blank Shot, Inspire Courage applied)
Damage: [roll1] and [roll2] Sneak Attack (Point Blank Shot, Inspire Courage applied)
Critical: [roll3] if attack is natural 20
Bonus: [roll4] damage on critical

>> Zarathustra: [15] (delayed)
Michelle: [13]
Chemosh: [8]
Blossom: [8]
The ogre: [7] (delayed)
Zlyak: [6]
Jackx: [14]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) updated. Zarathustra is up.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-29, 01:28 PM
Zarathustra heaves a mental sigh. He is not about to expend his last useful spell to deal with this pathetic guard - which unfortunately means that for the moment, he is reduced to swinging a brute club with all the elegance of a toddler.

He charges toward the guard with vigor, however, using his momentum to fuel his swing.

Charge to AA31

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

EDIT: Yup :smallsigh:

Kish
2015-05-29, 01:37 PM
Zarathustra misses. The guard wrenches the door open. The ogre's sword slices into his neck and he falls to the floor, bleeding. The room he's opened seems to be an office; it's lit by two torches and features a desk which, unlike the one upstairs, is covered with paperwork.

Ogre's attack: [roll0]
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) is updated and battle is over; you get 100 XP each.

Mechanix
2015-05-29, 01:57 PM
"It's twice I miss today. I really need to get my hands on an axe," Blossom muses while idly piercing the fallen guard through the back to finish him off. "I'll check out that office," she adds; she takes a piece of ragged clothe she cut from her uniform and uses it to wipe her blade while approaching the desk to examine its paperwork.

Hamste
2015-05-29, 02:08 PM
Well that wasn't too bad. Be careful in there. The guard tried to run this way for a reason. There might be a hidden trumpet or something but it could also be hiding some sort of alarm or escape path. Chemosh says.

Kish
2015-05-29, 02:12 PM
As Blossom spends a minute looking through the paperwork, it's quickly apparent that the office belongs to Sergeant Blackerly; the guard was likely hoping to find him in it.

http://i61.tinypic.com/5ofog0.png
The map indicates guards watching the bridge to the mainland, patrolling the walls above the courtyard, and on the roof of the gatehouse, as well as noting the two pairs of guards you've killed thus far.

momothefiddler
2015-05-29, 02:19 PM
Zlyak shoots a few nervous glances out the north door before joining the group in rifling through Blackerly's office.

Perception(north): [roll0]
Perception(office): [roll1]
Perception(desk): [roll2]

Hamste
2015-05-29, 02:36 PM
Chemosh walks into the room seeing no immediate signs of death. Hmmmm, there is a map here. I would guess that way is what-his-names quarters. With him probably being in there if I had to guess seeing the guard ran in here. That way is probably valuables or restricted goods. It would involve going through the gates, past the guards and into this man's office. It is probably one of the most protected places around here that wasn't our cells. Chemosh says pointing to the western door and then the northern door.

I take 10 on the perception and automatically make it.

Mechanix
2015-05-29, 03:49 PM
Blossom takes the map out of the papers and shows it to the others.

"I'm not sure where to go from there, honestly. I'm a fighter, not a strategist. But going for the gatehouse and the bridge beyond seems like suicide - the guard would likely shoot us with arrows before we reached the end. I honestly do not know where to go from here."

Kish
2015-05-29, 04:12 PM
"Plan 'hit 'em til they stop moving' worked so far," the ogre grunts. "You have names, little 'uns?"

momothefiddler
2015-05-29, 04:43 PM
Zlyak is about to respond to Blossom when the Ogre does, at which point she lets out a brief laugh. "I like you, big guy. Name's Zlyak. How about you?"

After he responds, Zlyak turns back to Blossom. "He's right, though. As long as we keep the alarm from being sounded, we can keep depleting the resources of the prison, until we're free to leave. I don't see a way to escape without first neutralizing the guards at the gatehouse... If we clear out the main prison here, then make our way out that side door, we can probably get into the tower without too much trouble, and from there, as long as we keep low, we should be able to work our way along the wall without being seen.

"Of course, when we first came down the stairs, the guards didn't immediately attack, so there's some chance of a disguise. Bit risky, though, given the chance it could bring them all down on us at once if it fails, and besides, where's the fun in that?"

Mechanix
2015-05-29, 09:38 PM
"My name is Blossom. Well, not my full name, but..." She looks around, seemingly bothered by their situation. "Anyway. Thank you for your help here, ogre. Unless someone has a better plan then, I see only your suggestion, Zlyak. We should move to the next rooms, clear them out, then maybe go back upstairs to clear them out as well - possibly find some gear. Either way, once the guards are dead here they can't serve as reinforcement if we make a sortie. I would feel more comfortable if more you lot were fighters, though. Mages are powerful in a pinch, but quickly spent."

LuckyStrike
2015-05-30, 02:43 AM
"Of course, when we first came down the stairs, the guards didn't immediately attack, so there's some chance of a disguise. Bit risky, though, given the chance it could bring them all down on us at once if it fails, and besides, where's the fun in that?"

A deep threatening voice startles the people bent over the map.

'Stop right there you criminal scum! Drop your weapons or ill have you rot in here for all eternity.'
It sounds like the guard they just killed, if he had just aquired a cold. Its a bit more dark and broken but the phonetics certainly add up.

When they look up a guard is standing in the doorway holding a shield slumped down a bit to hide his figure and a longsword held out in a threatening machismo manner taking attention away from his face, which has somehow been concealed more than seems possible with just a bit of dirt from the floor.

Before anyone can act Jackx lowers the sword and grins wide revealing himself.

'Wheres the fun in a bit of dress up you ask? My dear, what's life without it? Its an artform and a passion of mine, I confess.'

Jackx pulls on the chain mail and straps his belt a bit tighter.
'Uncomfortable getup his though.. it'll have to do for now I guess.'

Perform (Act)
[roll0]

momothefiddler
2015-05-30, 01:34 PM
Zlyak slowly lowers her club and exhales. "That's a-" She pauses, choosing words carefully. "That's a pretty convincing disguise, at a glance. Maybe from a distance. We should get you Blackerly's outfit, keep the guards off-balance."

Kish
2015-05-30, 04:47 PM
"Grumblejack is my name," the ogre says. "If the stupid little 'un with the firesticks is in here..." He pulls the handle of the western door; it seems to be locked.

momothefiddler
2015-05-31, 07:08 PM
"Firesticks? What's that now?"

Kish
2015-05-31, 07:10 PM
The ogre points to the runic F on his arm. "The sticks he used to burn us with. Make him eat 'em..." He turns back to the door, appearing ready to try to break it down.

Mechanix
2015-05-31, 08:00 PM
"Wait, wait! We have a thief. She can pick the lock. Less risk of drawing the guards that way."

Hamste
2015-05-31, 08:05 PM
I believe the proper term is noble not thief. I can't blame you for mistaking the two. Sometimes it is quite hard to tell the difference. Chemosh says trying to keep a straight face.

Mechanix
2015-05-31, 08:28 PM
"I have known some very noble thieves," Blossom says with a straight face to match Chemosh's own.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-31, 09:35 PM
Zarathustra grins nastily at Chemosh and Blossom's jibes. With any luck the noblewoman would provide them a nice show of indignation in a second... now that would really be fun to watch.

In the meantime, he turns to the ogre. "My name is Zarathusta. A pleasure to meet you, Grumblejack."

JDL
2015-06-01, 04:43 AM
"Hardly a thief," says Michelle with a smile, drawing her picks and teasing the lock with them. "A simple hobby I picked up in lieu of letting my obnoxious mother bore me to death with needlepoint and crochet. I've always had a fascination with taking things apart, be it man, beast or lock. There, that should do," she says at last, listening for the sound of the lock clicking open.

Perception on door, taking 10 for searching for traps.
Disable Device on lock, taking 10 to unlock it or if that fails taking 20.

Kish
2015-06-01, 10:06 AM
Michelle doesn't find any traps. The lock clicks open a little over two minutes after she started working on it.

JDL
2015-06-01, 05:11 PM
"Here we go," says Michelle, opening the door and advancing into the unknown.

As before, taking 10 on Stealth to hide or move silently forward, taking 10 on Perception to spot or listen for enemies ahead.

Kish
2015-06-01, 06:58 PM
The large room on the other side appears deserted. It is obvious at a glance that Blackerly, if he is the one who lives here, doesn't bother to hang up his uniforms, much less maintain anything resembling military order in his private chamber.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

JDL
2015-06-01, 07:15 PM
"Let's see what we have here," says Michelle, searching the room thoroughly.

Taking 10 on Perception to search the room square by square. I count 113 squares so that's 113 rounds, or just over 11 minutes of work.

Kish
2015-06-01, 07:20 PM
The wardrobe contains Blackerly's personal effects, of which the only noteworthy item is a flask of low-quality and somewhat odd-smelling whiskey. Underneath the bed you find a large, locked iron strongbox.

Mechanix
2015-06-01, 07:49 PM
"How can one expect to order a garrison when one cannot even order one's bedroom? There is much here to explain our escape," Blossom comments critically as she paces the room. Then she sees the box, and her eyes lighten. "What's in this?"

JDL
2015-06-01, 07:53 PM
Michelle pockets the whiskey, thinking it may be useful later. Then she moves on and discovers the chest under the bed. Smiling, Michelle sets to work with the box.

Take 20 on Perception to check box for traps (2 minutes).
Take 10 on Disable Device to open chest. If that fails take 20.

Kish
2015-06-01, 07:56 PM
After two minutes, Michelle is as sure as she can be that the box holds no traps. The lock proves the best she's encountered in the prison, just barely within her ability to open with her new masterwork thieves' tools. Inside the box is an unopened case of whiskey holding a dozen bottles, and 1,235 gold. It is a ridiculously large amount of money for a common sergeant to have.

Mechanix
2015-06-01, 07:59 PM
"Hmmm," the orc mutters thoughtfully at the sight of the gold - strangely unfazed for one who is seeing more gold than she's ever owned in her life. "I don't like this. Blackerly is just a sergeant, but his equipment is different, he has too much money, and he has none of the orderly life of a military man. I suspect he may be more than meets the eye, which would make him dangerous to confront."

momothefiddler
2015-06-01, 09:29 PM
"On the other hand, that also makes him dangerous to leave alive," Zlyak notes.

She tries (and largely fails) to conceal her awe at the amount of gold in the strongbox. "Who was carrying the cash? We have more. Probably enough that we shouldn't burden one person with all of it during a fight."

She takes a look at the whiskey. "His two most valued possessions are a vast treasure and... this?"

Is the alcohol particularly nice? Is there a reason to lock it up alongside twenty-five pounds of gold? I only have one roll that might assist that question, so...
Profession(Cook) [roll0]

Kish
2015-06-01, 09:31 PM
Quite the contrary, it seems to be cheap rotgut, likely worth a few gold pieces per bottle (you can make an Appraise check if you want a more specific estimate).

JDL
2015-06-01, 09:34 PM
"Hmph, obviously one of two scenarios is at play here," says Michelle, motioning the others over to fill their sack with the coins. "Either our sergeant is a living example of the old truism that every man has a price, or else someone is setting him up to take the fall for letting prisoners escape. I'd wager on the first myself. Anyhow, we've delayed here enough. Take whatever you wish from the contents, but I'd advise not to drink the bottles. Something smells off about the one I found in the pocket of his uniform." After loading up the coins, Michelle heads back to the corridor and checks the door to the north.

Gathering coins and putting them in the sack we're carrying. Would like to know if I can use some combination of Perception or Craft: Poisonmaking to detect if the opened bottle of whiskey contains some form of poison or other trap. I'll take 10 on any attempt since I don't want to risk a 1 being a critical failure. Then returning to the door north of square T31 and opening the door, again with taking 10 on Stealth and Perception. If door is locked, take 10/take 20 on Disable Device to unlock it.

momothefiddler
2015-06-01, 10:16 PM
"I'm still puzzled by the fact that swill like this would need to be locked up. And I second the suggestion that you not drink any - even if it's exactly what it seems.

Jackx! Let's grab you one of the uniforms. In case we decide to go that route."

Hamste
2015-06-01, 10:56 PM
Interesting, I wonder what is on the northern door. I'm still thinking it is important storage. Possibly equipment for all the guards or restricted materials. I wonder, are you sure that is actually alcohol in those bottles? Smells off, they were drugging the ogre and it is locked away with other valuable things. It sounds a lot like poison to me. Chemosh says.

momothefiddler
2015-06-01, 11:20 PM
"Poison is... not my thing. I can't tell anything unusual about this, but... that's a good theory. Does anyone here have experience with poisons?"

LuckyStrike
2015-06-02, 01:38 AM
'Hrmm alright, no drinks till we're in the clear.. or obviously going down.' Jackx agrees reluctantly.

Good thinking Zlyak.' Jackx says as he grabs the sergeants outfit. 'For now I think I'll walk through this prison as a lowly guard though, can't hurt to have them just in case.'

He also eyed the gold for a split second but made sure not to seem eager for it. With the speed and skill these people were killing he felt would be most unwise to plant even a hint of suspicion. He knew like no other that greed was a powerful motivator. In stead he just made a mental note of where the gold went and left it at that for now.

JDL
2015-06-02, 02:51 AM
"I've trained with the best herbalists in the realm. If it's a poison you seek I have the skill to craft it. They're an excellent way for a lady to even the odds in her favour, after all. As for this bottle, there's something to it," says Michelle, smelling the liquid, then dipping a finger in and eyeing the consistency, before touching the finger to her tongue briefly to taste the tiniest amount before spitting it onto the floor.

Kish
2015-06-02, 09:59 AM
The ogre sniffs at the bottle of whiskey from the wardrobe and says, "The water didn't smell like that."

The bottle that was in the wardrobe does seem to contain some kind of sleep drug. The bottle from the strongbox which you opened seems to be pure, if poor-quality, whiskey. Note that both the bottles under the bed and the case they were in showed no signs of ever being opened previously.

Michelle finds no trap on the door to the north, and the lock on the door is comparable to the lock on Blackerly's quarters; it clicks open.

JDL
2015-06-02, 05:36 PM
"Here we go," says Michelle, opening the door and advancing into the unknown.

As before, taking 10 on Stealth to hide or move silently forward, taking 10 on Perception to spot or listen for enemies ahead.

Kish
2015-06-02, 05:52 PM
Behind the door is a storeroom. It's surprisingly sparsely filled, with 200 torches, 10 lanterns, two 10-gallon kegs of what appears to be lantern oil, six spare guard uniforms, a dozen trumpets exactly like the two you looted from the guards you fought already, twenty 50' lengths of hemp rope, two barrels labeled "emergency rations," a rack containing four brands with the runic F symbol marked on each of your arms, and a brazier.

JDL
2015-06-02, 06:13 PM
"Plenty of stores in here, help yourself if you need food or gear. I'll check the next room," says Michelle, moving back to the corridor. She takes a moment to drag the corpses of the guards into the storeroom where they aren't so obvious, then moves to the next door and opens it.

Drag corpses in room 8 (Great Hall) to room 13 (Prison Storeroom).
Move to square Z23
Perception on door to west, taking 10 for searching for traps.

Kish
2015-06-02, 06:37 PM
The room is, indeed, locked, but not trapped. Michelle opens it. When a light source is brought to the room, it illuminates an armory. You find six chain shirts, six heavy steel shields, six longswords and six longbows, all with the mark of Talingarde on them somewhere. You also find, unmarked, a dozen leather clubs and 12 quivers of 20 arrows each. To one side you find a discarded pile of miscellaneous weapons: a shiv made from a woman's metal comb, a heavy mace, spear, quarterstaff, battle axe, rapier, dire axe, trident, and glaive.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) updated.

JDL
2015-06-02, 07:05 PM
Michelle buckles the rapier to her side as she searches the room, picking up two more quivers of arrows and cursing the fact there's no shortbows in sight. "Weapons and more armor here, grab what you need and let's get going," she says, moving back out into the great hall and opening the eastern door.

Move to square AC31
Perception on door to east, taking 10 for searching for traps.
Entering room, taking 10 on Stealth and Perception.

Hamste
2015-06-02, 07:13 PM
Chemosh picks up some of the armor to check the weight of it and nearly keels over from the weight. He puts in on and barely picks up the shield. The club was a lot easier to carry but all together it was not an easy load to bear for him.

Are we taking everything? Some of this stuff is valuable. Though we would need to scrape the sigils off before selling them.

I go right into medium load just from picking up the chain shirt :P Only 3 pounds under my heavy load. I don't know who is carrying the sack but it is not going to be me.

momothefiddler
2015-06-02, 08:27 PM
Zlyak pokes around in the stores for a bit. She's eyeing the lantern kegs with a dangerous grin when Chemosh speaks and breaks her short fantasy.

"I hardly imagine we have the ability to bring everything. There's also a notable lack of proper traveling packs, so that doesn't help. Still, I fully endorse us each wearing a uniform - with the armor underneath, for anyone who won't be unduly impeded thereby."

She follows her own advice, then catches up with Michelle.

Donning: chain shirt, guard uniform. Wielding: heavy mace. Discarding: leather club. Sheet updated.
And for all her yammering about splitting the load, she can carry another 20-odd pounds before getting into medium, so she probably oughta be holding the sack...

JDL
2015-06-02, 10:02 PM
"If we intend to bring our large friend here with us, we'll lack the subtlety required for a discrete exit," says Michelle, pointing at Grumblejack. "Therefore let's clear the keep of guards and then we can investigate our transportation options at our leisure. I suggest considering placing enough guard corpses in the cells to account for our number and then using the lantern oil to start a blaze that will remove any chance of discovering their true identities. The remaining corpses can be placed inside the building and nearby, so that any who investigate the blaze will assume all perished in an accidental fire. This should misdirect the authorities long enough remove any risk of early pursuit until we are far enough away from here that it is unlikely we'll be recaptured. Hopefully there are stables with swift steeds nearby. If not we'll need to waylay some from travellers on the road. I suggest bringing only what you immediately need and leaving the rest until we return. Now quiet, I need to focus on listening for trouble ahead."

momothefiddler
2015-06-03, 12:00 AM
Zlyak gazes at Michelle in awe and admiration, but remains quiet as requested, remaining ready as each door is opened.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-03, 02:30 AM
Jackx just picks up a torch from the storage room after changing to a significantly less bloodied uniform. With a shield in the other both his hands are full now. When he spots the shiv, exiting the room, he stops to stash it in his boot.
He's quiet, and expecting more bloodshed he stays behind their ogre friend.

Mechanix
2015-06-03, 05:45 AM
Blossom's eyes widen as she notices the dire axe on display; she grabs it, waving it and slashing at the air twice, and weighs its balance. "I think... I think this is mine. I think it's the weapon I had on me when they arrested me, and which they confiscated." She smiles fiercely. "This is a good omen. I agree on clearing the keep of guards - but a fire seems overkill; it might distract from us... or it might draw attention. I'm in favor of just racing out rather than overdoing it and risking more."

Kish
2015-06-03, 07:37 AM
"The little 'uns may be stupid but I dun think they mistake me for a guard," Grumblejack rumbles.

Michelle finds herself in the guards' mess hall. This large room has a few wooden tables and benches. A banner emblazoned with the emblem of Branderscar Prison hangs on the east wall.

Mechanix
2015-06-03, 07:45 AM
"We'll figure it out, don't worry. We're not leaving you here." With these words, Blossom enters the mess hall.

"According to the map, the door to the north opens on some kind of sleeping quarters. There may be guards in it; hopefully we'll get the drop on them. Then we can check out the room to the south."

With her dire axe to the ready, Blossom walks up to the northern door and opens it, assuming it is not locked.

Kish
2015-06-03, 08:09 AM
Behind the door to the north is a barracks. The room has four cots, a dozen locked chests, and three guards sitting on cots. Their armor and shields are leaning against the wall, though their swords are within their reach. They look surprised to see Blossom, but not immediately hostile. "Who are you?" one of them asks.

Mechanix
2015-06-03, 08:36 AM
Three men. Twenty, maybe twenty-five feet to the furthest away.

Blossom takes a look of surprise, stepping into the room. "You haven't heard?"

Fifteen feet.

She raises a finger to one man, frowning. "You, sergeant Blackerly says-"

Five feet.

She takes one step, closes the distance. Both her hands join on the hilt of her dire axe.

In reach.

Her mouth closes, her eyes take on a cold edge, and she slices twice with unnatural speed.

Move action to get to AF23. Standard action to use Steel Wind, allowing me to attack two adjacent opponents - namely G2 and G3. Two-handing dire axe for bonus damage. My bonuses factor in the bardic song bonus; if it doesn't apply anymore, just deduce 1 from my attack and damage.

G2 attack:
[roll0]
G2 damage:
[roll1]
Punishing stance:
[roll2]

G3 attack:
[roll3]
G3 damage:
[roll4]
Punishing stance:
[roll5]

Still_I_Rise
2015-06-03, 11:44 AM
Zarathustra quickly changes into one of the confiscated guard uniforms.

"I won't be making use of their armor, for obvious reasons," he says.

He follows behind the rest of them into the room with the guards. No need for him to get involved unless things start to turn sour, but he grips his leather club just in case.

Moving into the room behind Blossom and stepping to the side so as to not block the doorway behind him.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-03, 02:25 PM
Jackx draws his longsword in a heroics manner that seems to take just long enough to let Grumplejack enter the room first.

JDL
2015-06-03, 05:27 PM
Michelle slides the rapier from its sheathe at her side in preparation for a fight when she spots the guards in the next room and sees Blossom enter. She readies to charge the guard in view through the open door.

Surprise Round Actions:

Move Action: Draw Rapier
Free Action: 5 ft. step to AE30

Round 1 Actions:

Full Round Action: Charge attack 45 ft. from AE30 to AK24 and attack G1
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] and [roll2] sneak attack if guard is flat-footed or flanked
Critical: [roll3] on 20, 21 or 22
Bonus: [roll4] bonus damage

momothefiddler
2015-06-03, 11:55 PM
Equipped and eager to contribute (and, maybe, to impress Blossom, just a bit), Zlyak moves in to engage.

Two move actions to get to AI22. If I act in the Surprise Round, that leaves an attack (which is delayed until after Michelle's charge, importantly) on G1. Depending on Surprise or flat-footed status or whatever, that does provoke from G2 (I measured coming up through AH23). If I don't act in the Surprise round, then moving is my whole first round, so ignore this attack:
Attack (flanking included): [roll0]
Crit Confirmation (on an attack roll of 25): [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Kish
2015-06-04, 05:59 AM
Before the unarmored guards can react, Blossom has downed two of them and Michelle and Zlyak have downed the other.

You get 75 XP each. Each guard has a chain shirt, heavy steel shield, longsword, club, longbow, and 20 arrows.

Mechanix
2015-06-04, 06:57 AM
The orc stares distantly at the bodies now lying on the floor and the blood splattered on her blade. With a sigh, she takes her dagger and crouches next to the men, to give them a quicker death.

This displeases me. I wish I could give them a fair fight, but there are too many of them, and too many people relying on me.

Standing back up, she takes the sheets off a cot to wipe the blood off her blade and habit. "There are twelve chests, but only four cots. My guess is that there is one chest per guard in the keep for them to keep their belongings in, and fewer cots because they sleep in shifts. This would mean that there are twelve guards total, plus Blackerly, and we killed seven so far. This leaves only five and the sergeant. We are winning."

With these words, she walks up to the chests; she will open any of them that are not locked, leaving the others to Michelle.

JDL
2015-06-04, 08:13 AM
Michelle smiles as she flicks the blood from her blade, then turns to the chests and sets to work unlocking them.

Taking 10 to unlock the chests, or 20 if needed.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-04, 09:25 AM
'I'm liking those odds. With you lot we might actually pull this off. It's mad enough to have a chance, that's for sure.'
Jackx says as he searches the room, checking some pillows and looking under the bed.

[roll]d20+1

Still_I_Rise
2015-06-04, 01:15 PM
"Of course we have a chance," Zarathustra says. "Our mysterious benefactor would not have helped us this far if they did not see our potential. For these dogs are weak and unprepared.

We do them a mercy by killing them." He spits in the face of one the guards as he passes them on his way into the room, curious what may be found in the chests.

Kish
2015-06-04, 01:44 PM
All the chests are locked, but the locks are almost as simple as the ones on your chains were, and Michelle needs only six seconds to open each of them. The first chest contains a small coin pouch with 2 gold, 19 silver, and 10 copper. The second contains a set of peasant clothes and a shortsword. The third is empty, and the fourth contains another set of peasant clothes. The fifth contains a small bag of doggie treats. The sixth contains a surprisingly well-written love letter ending in a proposal of marriage to someone named "Michelle," probably no relation to your Michelle, and a sapphire engagement ring. The seventh contains a small supply of cookies carefully wrapped in wax paper, labeled "From Lil." The eighth contains an unlabeled bottle of whiskey. The ninth contains an ink bottle, a quill, and a personal journal. The tenth contains a traveler's outfit, a finely made pipe and a pound of tobacco. The eleventh contains a very well-made (masterwork) lute, and the final chest contains a whetstone, cleaning supplies for a chain shirt, an extra bowstring, and a small book of military regulations.

Jackx finds nothing searching the rest of the barracks.

Hamste
2015-06-04, 02:08 PM
Ok, I will will look through the journal to see if it holds any clues. Someone else look through the military regulations books. It might give some hints on when they change guards, passwords and other useful things. Chemosh says picking up the journal and rapidly starts to skim through it.

momothefiddler
2015-06-04, 05:11 PM
Zlyak pokes through the regulation book, munching on a cookie as she does so.

"Not bad," she mutters around amouthful, "I'll have to see if I can get Lil's recipe."

When done, she checks in with Chemosh. "Does that journal have any blank pages? I don't have time for a tattoo, unfortunately, but the ink here will allow me to throw together a semblance of my Lord's Sigil." If it does, she follows through with that and then, barring any objections, takes the remaining cookies, the whiskey, the pipe, and the tobacco.

Mechanix
2015-06-04, 05:15 PM
Blossom looks critically at the love letter and the ring. "One should not vow to marry someone, when one works a dangerous job without the skills to survive its hazards. May this man find shame in the afterlife." She shakes her head, dropping the ring into a communal bundle of gold and other things they have found so far.

"We should investigate the southern room, the last one on this floor." She walks out at a brisk pace.

Kish
2015-06-04, 08:04 PM
The journal indicates that the week's password is "Hesterfield," the Warden's hometown. It's immediately obvious from browsing the book of regulations, even if it wasn't otherwise obvious, that the prison is being run in a fashion that violates any number of regulations; among other things, the book is clear that passwords should be changed daily, not weekly.

The journal also details an entirely illegal regular gambling game Sergeant Tomas Blackerly runs in the gatehouse for all the off-duty guards. Apparently one of these games is taking place tonight.

Hamste
2015-06-04, 08:12 PM
Password is Hesterfield and apparently it is the Sergeant's home town. Also all the off duty guards are playing poker tonight in the gate house. Anything interesting in the regulations? Chemosh says after he finishes browsing the journal. He follows Blossom to the door to the last room.

momothefiddler
2015-06-04, 09:29 PM
Zlyak follows Chemosh as she flips through the regulations book. "Well there's... where is it... here we go. 'No gambling is to be conducted on prison grounds, on-duty or off' and... this one! 'To maintain a standing of honor as befits a servant of Talingarde and of His Brilliant Majesty, no extraprofessional monetary exchanges shall take place between superior and subordinate.' Plus, it appears we'd have had a much harder time if they'd been sticking to policy - no way we should have been able to surprise them while they were questioning us while we approached them...."

She shoves the regulation book in her pocket and pulls her mace back out as she comes up behind Blossom. "Not that I'm complaining, obviously, but it's amusing how poorly that went for them."

JDL
2015-06-05, 06:57 PM
"Excellent. If we catch the gate guards by surprise we'll have an easy time escaping," says Michelle, moving over to the south door with Blossom, Chemosh and Zlyak.

Move to square AI36
Open door to South

Kish
2015-06-05, 10:58 PM
Michelle opens the door to a well-stocked kitchen. Two servants, one male and one female, look up at her entry and show surprise. "Who are you?" the woman asks.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) is updated. The woman is I, the man is the medium-sized G.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-06, 01:55 AM
Jackx lets out a slow whistle of admiration when he sees the lute. He picks it up and carefully moves it about before fipping it straight and touching a snare. He listens intently to the one note that seems to linger forever and then abruptly touches is again to silence it.

Jackx groans with pleasure.

'Gorgeous five stringed crooked red guitar.' He says lovingly to the item. While seemingly forgetting he's in the middle of a violent jailbreak.

Okay so that's skill points going in disguise and string instruments next level.. :D

JDL
2015-06-07, 02:26 AM
"Ah, you're the cook, are you? Excellent, I have a special request today," says Michelle, moving without missing a beat around to block the exit from the room to the east. She speaks with the ease and surety of one of noble birth addressing a servant at their task, acting every inch the superior in charge of the situation and expecting to be obeyed. "I'd very much appreciate it if you'd sit down on the ground and put your hands on your head," she says, now pausing to whip her rapier from its sheathe. "You see, I have with me several companions who will happily cut your throats if you so much as blink without being told to do so. If you wish to survive these next few seconds, surrender immediately and don't try to do anything to raise an alarm or it will be the last thing you ever do." She gives a nod to the door to her companions to enter and ready to kill the two servants if they don't follow her orders.

Move to AK41
If this above movement doesn't result in initiative:
Move Action: Draw Rapier

If the servants don't attempt to fight, I'll ask for someone to fetch rope to tie them up. If they surrender, we can probably forgo initiative to speed things up. If they don't surrender, Michelle will kill them.

Mechanix
2015-06-07, 02:40 AM
As if to punctuate Michelle's words, the door opens wider and the armored, shield-wearing, axe wielding figure of the orcish warblade steps into the room, standing behind the noblewoman and giving both servants a dismissive stare.

"I'd do as she says if I were you. And while you're at it, I'd tell me where I can find some real meat in this kitchen. I'm tired of gruel."

momothefiddler
2015-06-07, 05:29 AM
Zlyak strolls in and gestures to her mace. "Not technically cutting anything, but the essence of her point stands."

Kish
2015-06-07, 08:44 AM
The servants, looking terrified, sink to their knees. Then Grumblejack strides through the door and you realize you only thought they looks terrified before. "I dunno why you little 'uns keep not-killin' enemies," he rumbles. "You, little 'uns." He looms over the cowering servants to show whom he's addressing. "You know anything about the water they give me here?"

"B-belladonna," the man says faintly, gesturing behind him to the door in the east wall.

Searching the kitchen will reveal, in addition to the usual assortment of plates, bowls, and other cooking paraphernalia unlikely to help you escape, six large knives equivalent to a dagger, a long meat cleaver equivalent to a shortsword, forty days of perishable food, ten days of iron rations, and a large green cloak with a hood that could probably be used to disguise any of you except Grumblejack as one of the servants.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-07, 09:01 AM
'Ill go fetch some rope.' Jackx offers as he turns to go get some from the storage room they had seen. He doesn't really seem to care what happens to the staff as long as it doesn't impede him in any way. He was more than happy to cater to Michelle's inclination to let them live for the time being and definitely wasn't about to speak up against her.
It seemed like a good idea to come across as being on the same page towards the prisoners anyway.
When he comes back he starts loading up on some rations and makes himself a big tasty sandwich while he's at it.
'Anyone else want one of these bad-boys?' He asks around just before he sinks his teeth into it.

JDL
2015-06-07, 09:56 AM
Michelle thanks Jackx, tieing up the two servants by the wrists and ankles with the rope.

"Now, we're going to play a little game, you and I," says Michelle calmly to the woman. She pulls her over to the kitchen bench, then slams her bound hands onto the chopping block. "Here's the rules. I'm going to cut off five of your fingers. In the time it takes me to do this, you're going to give me as much information as you can about anything you think I might find interesting. If you make me happy, you get to keep the rest of your fingers. If you pass out, you lose, and then I'm going to cut off pieces you're really going to miss. Are you ready?"

Michelle picks up the cleaver and slams it down on the woman's left pinky finger, severing it neatly.

"Sure Jackx, I'd love a sandwich," she says with a smile to her friend.

momothefiddler
2015-06-08, 02:56 AM
Zlyak nods enthusiastically to Jackx' question. "Here I was assuming we wouldn't have time to put anything together!"

She rummages through the cabinets, taking stock of materials, then turns to the man. "You mentioned belladonna. Is there any in here?"

Kish
2015-06-08, 10:35 AM
The woman gibbers incoherently as Michelle pulls her over to the table. When Michelle cuts off her finger, she starts screaming piercingly; a moment later, the other bound servant does as well.

"Make them be quiet!" the ogre growls, coming toward the table. Unless quickly prevented from doing so, he'll pick up one servant in each hand and slam them against the wall until they stop screaming, unconscious or dead.

Mechanix
2015-06-08, 10:51 AM
The orc looks with apparent disinterest at the grim spectacle of Michelle and her torture of the two servants; she does not intervene at first, instead proceeding to cut strips of her discarded prisoner's uniform on the edge of her axe. When it becomes apparent that the servants do not have the fortitude to endure the process and provide coherent information at the same time, she sighs wearily and walks over to the table, putting her hand on Michelle's wrist to stop her from going further.

"Enough. I don't care that you like spilling blood, we could have gotten some actual information out of them. Now they're worthless. That's why you leave people a chance to answer the questions before you bring on the pain: most people are cowards and speak right away, and most don't have the fortitude to tell you anything while they're being maimed, even if it would save them from more pain. You've just wasted an opportunity."

Shaking her head in disapproval, she promptly grabs the servants and gag them to muffle their screams, then pushes them to the ground, stretching a few other strips of clothes.

"If you really, really need to kill them then stab them properly, we don't have time for anything elaborate. Myself, I dislike killing unarmed civilians, so if you don't I'll just tie them and they can quietly wait to be found or to bleed to death. No skin off my nose. Now we need to get moving and hope their screams didn't do the work the trumpets failed."

momothefiddler
2015-06-08, 11:47 AM
"These walls are pretty thick, we've already killed all the guards in this building, and I'm sure prisoners make noise from time to time, so there's a good chance no-one noticed. Still, thank you for stopping that awful noise." Zlyak scowls at the servants.

"Still, we probably shouldn't risk hanging out here too much longer." She turns to the man. "Belladonna, yes or no?"

Kish
2015-06-08, 11:03 PM
"Mmf!" replies the man through his gag.
He gasps, "Garden. P-please don't kill us."

momothefiddler
2015-06-08, 11:36 PM
Zlyak sighs. "It was a simple question. All you had to do was shake your head yes or no."

She crushes his skull, grimacing at the mess that gets on her face when she does so. "Not like it really matters. I was just gonna use it on the dogs to save some time.

"We should probably go." She looks to Michelle and nods toward the woman. "Are you gonna... finish that?"

JDL
2015-06-09, 03:26 AM
"One moment," says Michelle, eyeing the woman until she's finished her hysterics. When she judges she's no longer going to scream, she'll remove the gag and slap her face to get her attention, ready to reapply the gag if she starts back up with the excessive noise.

"Focus, woman! Don't be such a weakling for pity's sake, it's only one finger. When are you due to bring food or drink to the guards next? What are they expecting you to bring? How do you usually deliver it to them? Answer me!"

Unless the woman answers quickly and well, Michelle will become disgusted with her and grab out her dagger, slashing her across the belly just below the ribs on her right side, then reaching in and pulling out her liver, making the woman watch as she cuts the arteries open to pump thick rich lifeblood in gushing gouts across the floor. Then Michelle will calmly stand, walk over to the basin of water and wash her hands thoroughly with soap, inspecting her clothes for any blood and doing her best to clean them.

"Is that sandwich ready Jackx dear? I'm famished," she says, picking up the green cloak and putting it on, adjusting herself to resemble the kitchen maid as best she can. "I'll go take a little walk around outside and check if there's any guards watching the building before we try taking our big friend outside."

Taking 10 on Disguise if possible, but otherwise spending the required time to assemble a Disguise as a kitchen maid. She'll eat her sandwich while she does this.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-09, 06:06 AM
Jackx slided the cutting board with a few sandwiches on it over the counter towards Zlyak, Michelle and the others. His own lies on the counter with but one bite taken out of it. His appetite drastically changed seeing Michelles handiwork and he turned quiet.

He could see this situation go sour very fast and he didn't feel like being the only one sane person stuck between three violent homicidal woman bickering so hard they were pissing off the violent homicidal ogre in their midst.

There was definite tension in the air and Jackx was happy when Michelle proposed to take a walk. None of the women would hesitate a second or blink an eye at cutting down poor old Jackx, he was sure of it and wondered if he was better off in chains after all. At the same time he wondered how it could be the women of the world seemed so much more extreme than the male population. Sure, there was madness and bloodshed on both sides of the fence but on theirs it took a particular nasty form.
He quickly shaked the unsettling train of thought about the differences between man and woman from his mind and looked at Chemosh.
'The map noted a room we haven't covered yet. You feel like coming to check it out? We should be back when Michelle returns.'
Without waiting for an answer from Chemosh he draws his sword, again more as a gesture of looking busy more than anything, and goes back to where they came from to investigate.

momothefiddler
2015-06-09, 08:24 AM
While Michelle is out, Zlyak rummages through the kitchen, collecting some of the (more) perishable foods for dinner tonight. Long-term, the rations might have to do, but Jackx has the right idea - that's no reason to suffer now.

Kish
2015-06-09, 08:33 AM
The woman begins screaming again immediately when ungagged.

Hamste
2015-06-09, 11:32 AM
I have an idea, we can deal with it after you are done questioning though as long as we don't alert the guards. Chemosh says before following Jackx.

Still_I_Rise
2015-06-09, 12:55 PM
Zarathustra grins down viciously at the woman. Her screams were so delightful... yet in this case, simply not practical.

"Shut up woman," he spits down at her. "If you don't stop screaming in the next second, I'm going to gag you with your own tongue." He picks up one of the nastier looking knives in the kitchen to punctuate his threat.

If she does not cease her pathetic wailing, he will force her mouth open and slice out her tongue before shoving it back down her throat. "You understand, Michelle, we aren't going to get anything useful out of her anyway. Might as well share the fun."

If she does stop making noise, he will merely look a little disappointed.

Kish
2015-06-10, 09:58 AM
Before Zarathustra has a chance to find out how the woman's going to respond to his threat, the ogre roars, "ENOUGH!" He grabs the woman's head and twists it, breaking her neck. "PLAY WHEN WE'RE OUT OF HERE! crazy little 'un's..."

Just to be clear, this is not a meta-note from the DM; it's entirely Grumblejack running out of patience with what he sees as dangerous noise and pointless delay.

Michelle finds a small vegetable and herb garden to the east of the keep. One plant is separated from the others and has recently been pruned, but without Knowledge (Nature) or Survival she can't be sure what it is in this unrefined form. Outside, it's mostly dark, but as she's poking around in the garden, she sees the light of a bullseye lantern approaching from the south on top of the walls of the keep.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing) is updated. The grey denotes walls with a wall-walk atop them.

Still_I_Rise
2015-06-10, 11:26 AM
Zarathustra's eyes narrow briefly, then he relaxes and sighs.

"You just spoiled my fun, Grumblejack. I'll just have to see about taking a guard or two with me for later, then."

Kish
2015-06-10, 10:07 PM
"Whatever. As long as you don't expect me to look back if it slows you down an' you get caught," the ogre says.

Upstairs, Chemosh and Jackx open the door to an room which is plain and featureless, save for a single stout wooden table and four chairs.

The room has a faint odor of burning flesh, and you see bloodstains in the corners. You're pretty sure the jailers have carried out enhanced interrogations here.

Hamste
2015-06-10, 10:10 PM
Odd, I was expecting a torture room. There doesn't seem to be any torture items here. Maybe a free time area? Close to the inmates which makes it both bad and good for a place to relax. Chemosh says.

[roll0]

LuckyStrike
2015-06-11, 02:21 AM
'Whatever it was, it probably wouldn't have been great for our health.' Jackx says as they exit the room.
'I feel good knowing we might never get to find out. Let's get back to the others.'

Upon their return to the kitchens Jackx looks at the woman's head hanging in an unnatural angle and smiles ironically.
'There was a room perfect for these things upstairs.' He remarks. 'No need at all to ruin my appetite. Any word from Michelle yet?'

momothefiddler
2015-06-11, 02:54 AM
"She's not back yet," comes Zlyak's voice from near the ceiling, where she's standing on one shelf to better inspect another, "but I did find some onions!!" She half-turns outward to toss a bunch of small bulbs down to Jackx. "Hold those while I climb down, please?"

She gingerly climbs down, losing her balance at the end and very nearly falling. She stands back upright, shaking her head. "What'd you guys find? Anything good?"

LuckyStrike
2015-06-11, 05:35 AM
Jackx holds the onions and at the same time wonders why he's holding onions. 'Today is a strange day..'

He hands Zlyak the onions back.

'Good in the sense that we didnt find anything bad. Nothing useful though.'

momothefiddler
2015-06-12, 02:49 PM
"Dull, but acceptable." Zlyak finishes shoving ingredients into the uniform's pockets - they bulge rather oddly at this point - and picks up her shield and mace again. "I hope Michelle gets back soon. I don't know how much time we have..."

JDL
2015-06-13, 08:11 PM
After spending between five to ten minutes watching the movements of the guards from the garden as Michelle pretends to pick ingredients, she returns to the kitchen.

"There's enough activity outside to be worried," she says when the others have regathered from their search. "I saw torches moving along the walls, meaning they're not all holed up in the gatehouse playing cards, more's the pity."

Things Michelle will be looking for outside:
1. How many guards appear to be manning the walls?
2. Is there a way up to the top of the wall nearby? If not how high up are they?
3. Are the patrols spaced apart enough to allow us to sneak Grumblejack to the gatehouse without being spotted?

LuckyStrike
2015-06-14, 01:34 AM
'If we stick the window on the southern most point of room 15, we greatly shorten the distance to the wardens tower. We would simply have to climb out the window and move into room 21. I agree that there should be a sure way onto the walls from there.' Jackx says.

momothefiddler
2015-06-14, 02:52 AM
"We still have no clue that's what the window does!" objects Zlyak. "Look at how we handled our pyramid!"

LuckyStrike
2015-06-14, 03:30 AM
'Aren't we richer than before? I would call the pyramid today's greatest success.' Jackx replies with a cheeky grin.
'But your right.' he concedes. 'No way of knowing until we try and find out.

momothefiddler
2015-06-14, 03:59 AM
"Pah!" Zlyak laughs. "Do you know how much gold it would take to build a pyramid? Here I was all excited about having my own triangular castle, and it's just gold." She shakes her head exaggeratedly. "Now I'll just have to do it the old-fashioned way."

LuckyStrike
2015-06-14, 04:14 AM
'Three minutes ago she was on death row and now she's planning a castle. Say what you will but I like a girl with ambition.' Jackx winks at Zlyak and turns to Blossom. 'If they discover us moving about any time soon, how well would we fare in a siege type situation?'

momothefiddler
2015-06-15, 03:50 AM
"Psh, I've been planning a castle for a while now! Ya just gotta keep an eye out for opportunities is all."

JDL
2015-06-15, 06:32 PM
"Okay, enough dawdling. Grumblejack, follow my lead. Everyone else is welcome to help me escape or find their own ways out. From the maps, it looks like the Warden's Tower is the closest way up to the wall. I'm going to inspect it. Watch out if you're going near the gatehouse, there's dogs and they'll probably raise a racket if we get close."

Michelle sticks her head outside, watching the light of the bullseye lanterns until she judges she won't be seen, then slips out the door of the kitchen and rounds the south of the building.

Taking 10 on Stealth while moving and moving to square Y48.

momothefiddler
2015-06-15, 07:07 PM
Zlyak snaps back into Business Mode and follows Michelle.

Taking 10 on Stealth gives me a... 5. Wow. Hooray for distance modifiers on Listen checks I guess? Anyway that's the best I got.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-16, 12:58 PM
Jackx waits ten seconds before he strolls out of the same door and walks around the prison after Michelle and Zlyak.

Still_I_Rise
2015-06-16, 01:50 PM
Zarathustra sticks the long knife from the kitchen into his belt and walks out with the others.

Kish
2015-06-16, 01:58 PM
You get to the eastern edge of the tower unseen. Looking up, you see that a rickety-looking walkway twines around the tower above you.

JDL
2015-06-16, 07:18 PM
Michelle continues around the wall, working towards the entrance of the Warden's Tower.

Taking 10 on Stealth. Move to P40.

Kish
2015-06-17, 11:24 PM
Michelle works her way to the door of the tower. Grumblejack follows her. As of yet the guards on the walls don't seem to have noticed you.

momothefiddler
2015-06-18, 12:09 AM
Zlyak continues to follow Michelle.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-18, 01:02 AM
Jacks too, sticks close.

JDL
2015-06-18, 02:05 AM
Michelle takes a moment to check the door for traps, another to listen at the door, then quietly opens it and steps through if the coast is clear.

Taking 10 on Perception to check door for traps and listen at door, then ditto for Disable Device if trapped or locked, followed by opening door to south and moving inside, taking 10 on Perception to check for hostiles.

Kish
2015-06-18, 04:33 PM
The door opens. On the other side you see a single large room illuminated by four torches and decorated with wall hangings that detail the history of the Castle Branding, all the way to its current existence as Branderscar Prison. For the most part, they are plaques that speak of nobles none of you know, commemorating deeds you never heard of. There are a number of banners and flags; one tapestry depicting the castle being turned into a prison catches your eye. It bears the motto, "His Judgment Cometh and That Right Soon."

In the center of the room, a spiral staircase leads to higher floors.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESREa2PswiT7xvNnVXemGx77QsX5HRjHGaFPTxB62s8/edit?usp=sharing).

Still_I_Rise
2015-06-18, 07:44 PM
Zarathustra heads into the room after Michelle.

"I think you're being over cautious," he says as he joins her. "I doubt this group of lackadaisical guards have seen fit to trap the doors."

He surveys the banners in the room with disgust as he speaks.

Hamste
2015-06-18, 08:44 PM
Once they enter, Chemosh quickly goes out into the open and moves into the spiral staircase place as well.

momothefiddler
2015-06-18, 09:48 PM
"While you may be right, I'm not about to go against someone's instincts when those instincts might save my life. If this is how she operates in a hostile situation, I'm all for it."

Despite her words, though, Zlyak nabs a bite of her sandwich while glancing around the now-determined-empty room, then approaches the stairs.

momothefiddler
2015-06-20, 01:00 AM
Zlyak takes a moment to stand at the bottom of the stairs and listen above/look for shadows revealing anyone.

Perception: [roll0]

Kish
2015-06-20, 10:01 AM
There appear to be two other levels of the tower. From the bottom of the stairs you see no movement.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-20, 02:46 PM
Feeling like there's nobody up there, Jackx decides to move upwards. He walks in a normal pace but has his eyes fixed on above him, daring not to blink. His heart pounds in his chest so loud it makes it hard for him to focus but he keeps moving steady nonetheless.

JDL
2015-06-20, 09:26 PM
Michelle motions the others to move quietly as she moves forward cautiously, trying to take the lead and scout for danger.

Move up the stairs taking 10 on Stealth and Perception.

momothefiddler
2015-06-20, 11:48 PM
Zlyak continues to follow Michelle.

As usual, 10s on Perception (11) and Stealth (5). It's all I got, man.

Kish
2015-06-21, 02:14 PM
Sorry about the delay. I'm hoping we haven't lost Mechanix/Blossom, who hasn't posted in a while.

The second level of the tower holds a library: a large, meticulously ordered collection of books and scrolls.

Above you, the spiral staircase ends at a stone landing. It is lit by a single torch on a sconce, but you cannot see what doors and/or staircases open off the landing from here.

You hear a sound like an owl hooting.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-21, 02:57 PM
Jackx immediately looks around the library hoping to find something useful.

'Seems like this place is deserted.. Our lucky streak continues.' He says with hushed voice.

JDL
2015-06-21, 05:24 PM
Michelle hisses as her ears pick up the sound ahead. She stops in her tracks, motioning the others behind her to wait a moment, and takes a minute to scan the room thoroughly, then moves towards the landing to check on the rooms beyond. Her feet move softly across the floor of the library, making no more noise than a cat in the night.

Taking 20 on Perception to spot Stealthed enemies in the library over 1-2 minutes, then move to stone landing, taking 10 on Stealth.