PDA

View Full Version : Good Items for any class...

Generic PC
2007-04-20, 03:40 PM
I have been searching round the forums, and have not found any thread that asks this: What is your preference for class x's magical items. Everyone knows that you should have Rope, preferably Silk, but one character may want a ring of Feather fall, while another thinks a ring of Haste is a better idea. So, what are your Favorite (either Crunch or Fluff) ways to Equip level y character of class x, with wealth per level guidelines. If there is already such a thread, please direct me to it, and i'm sorry for cluttering up the forums some more, but if not then Input please?

silentknight
2007-04-20, 06:38 PM
Everybody can use and wants a Ring of Protection.

Assassinfox
2007-04-20, 06:44 PM
Can't go wrong with Daern's Instant Tent and Everlasting Rations.

Tellah
2007-04-20, 06:46 PM
A general response for a general question, broken up by archetype:

Melee Fighters
Melee fighters have a lot of weaknesses they need to cover. As such, I make mobility a priority in equipping melee classes, and I try to purchase boots of flying as soon as they cost less than one third of my total wealth. Defenses against magic are paramount, so a melee character should have the best cloak of resistance s/he can afford. Once those concerns are dealt with, I think offense, starting with a scabbard of keen edges wherever possible, and investing in a few oils of magic weapon (or, if this is CoDzilla, casting it myself) at first rather than dumping all my money into one monstrously powerful weapon. At higher levels, spell resistance should augment your cloak of resistance and wondrous items that duplicate mirror image and displacement are often better than investing in a huge AC. Look into the Augment Crystal system in the Magic Item Compendium to enhance your flexibility. When you invest in AC, maximize your money by investing in multiple forms of AC (natural, deflection, shield an enhancement).

Rogues
Masterwork thieves tools by level 2. A reliable method of gaining concealment by level 4, and invisibility by level 6 or 7. A backpack full of skill shards (if psionics is in play) for your most important skills. Slippers of spider-climbing and boots of flying.

Arcanists
If you are a Wizard, do not try to put every spell in the game into your spellbook, at least until you've got a Boccob's Blessed Book. Keep a good stock of situational-use scrolls an various magical tools (wands, robe of bones, etc.) on hand; this should be about a third of your wealth. Arcanist's Gloves from the new Magic Item Compendium to boost those Save-or-Lose spells. Spend up to a third of your wealth on an item to boost your casting stat. The remaining third should go to boosting your saves and hp, since those are the true defenses against enemy casters, your only real threat.

Healers
Wand of Cure X Wounds and scrolls of the various cures for status ailments (remove curse, restoration, etc). That should total about a third of your wealth. Another third goes to magical defenses, as mentioned for melee fighters. And if you want to rule the world, nightsticks from the Libris Mortis to fuel your Divine Metamagic.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 06:48 PM
amulet of nat. armor....potions of cure mod...

Pink
2007-04-20, 06:48 PM
Ring of sustenance. Take that bag of everlasting rations. Unsure, but i do believe that it allows arcane users recover after just 2 hours of sleep, but that might be me misreading it.

Also, Handy Haversack. And the quick goodies of cloak of resistence, ring of protection. If you don't have a better use of the slot buffing resistence or ac is always nice.

JaronK
2007-04-20, 07:53 PM
Ring of sustenance. Take that bag of everlasting rations. Unsure, but i do believe that it allows arcane users recover after just 2 hours of sleep, but that might be me misreading it.

It doesn't.

JaronK

Ramza00
2007-04-20, 07:57 PM
Battle Belt

12,000 gp you get 3 charges on a belt, charges refresh each day.

Activation is 1 swift action
1 charge yields 1 move action
2 charges yield 1 standard action
3 charges yield a full round action.

The belt has no attunement time thus you can have multiple belts use all the charges in 1 or 2 encounters and then put on a different belt for the next battle. Good for melee (easy full attacks) and magic. 2 charges yielding a standard action that makes it a lot cheaper than a metamagic rod of quicken (which costs 35,000 gp (lesser), 75,500 gp (normal), 170,000 gp (greater))

Charges refresh each day at dawn.

Battle Belt is in the Magic Item Compedium

clericwithnogod
2007-04-20, 08:32 PM
Healers
Wand of Cure X Wounds and scrolls of the various cures for status ailments (remove curse, restoration, etc). That should total about a third of your wealth.

Expendables to be used on all members of the party should be purchased with party funds, not forced onto one character.

RandomNPC
2007-04-20, 08:36 PM
a few empty vials, for when you find something you didn't think of.
rope
caltrops
non-damage spell wands (casters of course)
climbers kit (who uses this anywayż)

i don't know that it is a good equipment idea, but i had a player take four chickens and a goat, they got names and roles (they didn't actually go into battle, but the goat was shemus the battle goat) they weren't verry usefull, but they helped lighten the mood when the group got down, or a bit distracted.

Dhavaer
2007-04-20, 08:48 PM

Also, Handy Haversack. And the quick goodies of cloak of resistence, ring of protection. If you don't have a better use of the slot buffing resistence or ac is always nice.

JaronK's right, but these are still two very useful items. Sign me up.

clericwithnogod
2007-04-20, 09:09 PM

JaronK's right, but these are still two very useful items. Sign me up.

The Haversack is probably the single best item in the game on a value for GP basis.

I like the Ring of Sustenance as well. In a similar vein, the Portable Oasis is pretty cool to really travel in comfort.

RandomNPC
2007-04-20, 09:16 PM
Ring of sustenance. Also, Handy Haversack.

Quoted (and trimmed) for truth.

these two items are on about 2/3 of my character sheets. most of the the remaining third probably have one or the other.

also, minions. what problem can't be solved by throwing more minions at it?

Telok
2007-04-20, 09:17 PM
Potions.

Really, it's amazing what you can get from them. Fly, Gaseous Form, Invisibility, Water Breathing, and the Cures are my basics. If the character can cast/manifest the effect then skip it if you keep it memorized most of the time. Of course Cure Serious Wounds will never go out of style. It may be less effective at higher levels mabey, but never out of style.

Assassinfox
2007-04-20, 09:17 PM
what problem can't be solved by throwing more minions at it?

Extinction?

Quietus
2007-04-20, 09:58 PM
You just have to throw them to different effect that way.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-20, 10:15 PM
This is subject I feel should be completely governed by flavor. Whatever gera fits your character, you should get. There's no set gear.

That said, Rings of Sustenance, Spools of Endless Rope, Decanters of Endless Water, Continual Flame Torches, and similar items that replace inconvenient large stocks of expendables with a single, highly useful item are exceedingly important.

Pink
2007-04-21, 12:21 AM
also, minions. what problem can't be solved by throwing more minions at it?

How many people actually try to use hirelings? They're surprisingly cheap.

My bad on the ring of sustenance and casting, still useful though. I'll also second thw decanter of water, though as for continual torches, I feel that sunrods do a better job and you can buy 55 of them for the price of one torch. Not to mention you can get the same effect as a cantrip, and i don't think it'd be unreasonable to say that at least one caster of the party can't use 1 level 0 spell for it if needed.

Seffbasilisk
2007-04-21, 05:25 PM

As others have said, these are meat and potatoes.

Everburning Torch
Winter Blanket
Belt Pouches

Pink
2007-04-21, 05:31 PM
Oh yes, how could i forget belt pouches, also, chalk pieces. They have a hundred uses if you try i'm sure. A nice use of copper pieces.

JellyPooga
2007-04-21, 05:32 PM
A Scarf of Warmth!! (CompAdv)

'Cos everyone needs a magical scarf to keep you warm...:smallconfused:

Assassinfox
2007-04-21, 05:35 PM
Ring of True Strike. :smallwink:

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-21, 05:35 PM
Cloak or vest of resistance.
A couple potions for cure serious when you're in trouble.
A couple utility potions (water breathing, etc).
A wand of cure light wounds so the cleric can patch you up after a battle, and won't be stingy.
Bag of holding.
Handy haversack.
Rings or other items that give boosts to skills.

clarkcd
2007-04-21, 05:41 PM
Boots of Striding and Springing. Who can't benefit from extra mobility?

Cocktail Umbrellas
2007-04-21, 05:44 PM
Tongs!

Yes, they're not magical. But when dealing with potentially magical items, or potentially dangerous ones, or just plain gross stuff, nothing beats a handy pair of tongs <3

Except perhaps a planar mancatcher (http://www.planewalker.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia.php?intEntryID=4192). But that's more for the close observation of potentially magical individuals rather than objects :smallwink:

Pink
2007-04-21, 05:45 PM
...my next rogue character will now carry tongs. what is the cost on them? XP

Threeshades
2007-04-21, 05:49 PM
A ring of jumping house ruled in from 3.0 Edition. +30 on jump checks and no limitations to maximum range for only 2000 gp. Good times!

(MAN im happy we're playing 3.0)

or a +5 Sickle. on the first few levels even a fighter would kill for it (okay a fighter would kill anyway, but you know what i mean).

I am playing a rogue and i try to get my hands on any magic item i can. If its useful or not i use it as long as i can. Until i can sell it and use the gold for something more suiting for my purposes.

Cocktail Umbrellas
2007-04-21, 06:07 PM
what is the cost on them?

Oh dear ^^;; I have no idea, my present character peeled the pair she's using presently from a dustman :smallredface: and was gifted the pair she had before that.

I doubt they'd be too expensive though, a couple silver, if I had to guess.

jlousivy
2007-04-21, 06:23 PM
daggers, no adventurer is complete without at least one hidden somewhere on their body.

mirror- seeing around corners without being targetable is great.

Also, ring of invisibility--every class could benefit from one of these

Assassinfox
2007-04-21, 06:31 PM
my present character peeled the pair she's using presently from a dustman :smallredface:

Well, way to go. How's he supposed to find True Death without his tongs?

Armads
2007-04-22, 01:32 AM
A potion of Cure serious wounds

Cocktail Umbrellas
2007-04-22, 01:46 AM
How's he supposed to find True Death without his tongs

Maybe he was emotionally attached to them and my taking 'em brought him one step closer to abandoning his attachments?
Or perhaps he already didn't care :smallbiggrin:

On topic, a sturdy, plain cloak is a good item to have too. Doubles as a blanket or a towel and if need be, can be torn into bandage strips. I've gone through a fair few cloaks by tearing 'em into makeshift bandages...

I very much agree with the ring of inviz, I don't think there are very many people that go through a campaign without wanting to disappear on a few occasions. But hard to get something as useful as that in my campaign. If I could though, oh the times that would be had <3

Threeshades
2007-04-22, 04:22 AM
On topic, a sturdy, plain cloak is a good item to have too. Doubles as a blanket or a towel and if need be, can be torn into bandage strips. I've gone through a fair few cloaks by tearing 'em into makeshift bandages...

That brings me to an idea.

Any adventurer can make great use of a towel. Not only to dry yourself off, but you can also soak it in nutrients and feed on it for a while. If you twist a wet towel it becomes an effective melee weapon. And there are so many more uses i cant think of right now.

Wehrkind
2007-04-22, 04:27 AM
I am reminded of the scene from Boondock Saints where they are debating the virtues of rope:

"Name one thing you are going to do with a rope."
"They don't know what they need it for, they just always f'in need it."
"Listen to yourself, this isn't a movie. This is the real thing!"
-holds up a giant 'survival knife' from the bag-
"Oh... is that right Rambo?"

I am not doing it justice... rent the movie, it is fantastic.

Rope is key though. Always take at least 100' of silk rope.

InfiniteMiller
2007-04-22, 08:59 AM
"Name one thing you are going to do with a rope."
"They don't know what they need it for, they just always f'in need it."
"Listen to yourself, this isn't a movie. This is the real thing!"
-holds up a giant 'survival knife' from the bag-
"Oh... is that right Rambo?"

"....Go get your stupid f***in' rope."

Good stuff.

Honestly, I never leave town without rope on my character, regardless of class or party role. Useful for climbing, tying the hands of captured hostiles, tying tourniquets, you name it. To paraphrase Boondock Saints (again), "They never know what they need [rope] for, but they always f***in' need it."

Indon
2007-04-22, 09:04 AM
In Eberron, I'm a big fan of eternal wands.

Sir Giacomo
2007-04-22, 02:24 PM
Hi all,

another great thread idea.

My (fairly low-level) favourites:

- boots of speed (12,000gp, 10 rounds of haste as free action as you see fit/day)
- ALL scrolls (half the price of potions, simply get a few ranks in UMD cross-class and you're fine; in particular since you can re-try almost as often as you like- outside of combat, definitely better than potions)
- Circlet of Persuasion (4,500gp): +3 to ALL CHR checks (including UMD). Highly useful.
- Figurines of Wondrous power. Incredible bang for their buck.
- Monk's belt (11,000gp). Provides AC of 5th level monk to all (5 lvls more for AC purposes to a monk). So you add +1 AND your WIS bonus. Very nice for Druids (if they wear no armour). Plus, it also is there when flat-footed and vs touch attacks.
- Dust of appearance (1,800gp): makes tarket visible for 5 Minutes (i.e. no chance for invisible opponent to turn invisible again in that time). No save. No attack roll needed. Great stuff. (courtesy Tim the Enchanter)
- all metamagic rods for casters and kama beads for divine casters.
- luck blade (22,000gp roughly): a great +2 short sword, gives +1 luck bonus to saves (stacks with almost all of the more frequent boni out there) AND has an EXTRAORDINARY (i.e. non-dispellable) ability to provide carrier with 1 re-roll per day. VERRy powerful for initiative rolls...
- oathbow (25,600gp). A +5 ranged weapon with bane properties already for an 8th level character? Sure!

That list could go on, but just as a some first inspirations...

- Giacomo

Pink
2007-04-22, 02:58 PM
Those must be some high gold games you're playing, cause i think in generla it'd be better spreading the wealth around to armor and other things as well instead of just saving up to buy the doombringer weapon of choice.

However, i wonder, dust of appearance versus just spraying chalk dust in the air?

Belkarseviltwin
2007-04-22, 03:39 PM
However, i wonder, dust of appearance versus just spraying chalk dust in the air?
Thing is, once chalk dust is on someone, it's a "worn or carried item", so if they cast invisibility again, they disappear despite the dust.
Dust of Appearance eliminates that problem, and also has other uses (dispels some illusions, makes Hide checks near impossible).
Also, I think chalk dust might need an attack roll.

Pink
2007-04-22, 03:45 PM
Unsure why it can't be used just like the dust of appearance, and even if they cast invisibilty again, you just made them waste a spell slot for 2 cp.

Generic PC
2007-04-22, 07:27 PM
heres some more Ideas...

Paper/Ink... i always find i need it...
Rope is an obvious one...
Grappling Hook?
i always enjoy boots of Striding/Springing, or anything that increases Speed... cause you never know when having 50' per round movement speed is gonna save ya...
Handy Haversack has already been said, but Quiver of Ehlonna is almost as good for 200 gp less.
um... Amazing weapons are always nice to have, but can cost alot...
a nice ability is to have returning darts/throwing axes/javelins/whatever, as it'll save you money... not alot, but there ya go

Pink
2007-04-22, 07:41 PM
Quiver of Ehlonna? aka effecient quiver? no, not anywhere near the usefulness of handy haversack. unless you use throwing items and such, not really useful at all i think.

Rakeesh
2007-04-22, 08:29 PM
I think you're mistaken, Pink. It depends on just how closely your DM pays attention to things such as ammunition tracking, ammunition destruction, and encumberance penalties.

For example: you're in a dungeon, spending quite a lot of time there, far from civilization. You can carry sixty arrows, a bunch of javelins, a bunch of spears, and your bow for a weight of only 10 lbs. You can't just recover spent arrows as a given (according to the rules, anyway), and so carrying more can become important. Carrying more means more encumberance, and if your DM uses those rules, encumberance can be a real issue for people who wear armor and carry a lot of equipment, and don't have a strength of 16.

1800gp is really not that much gold. It's a relatively minor investment, and sure, it's payoff isn't so major either...but then again, it can help mean the difference between, say, 30' move and 20' move, and a penalty on a bunch of armor checks, etc. etc.

Pink
2007-04-22, 11:48 PM
My point stands that it's pretty much only useful for the ranged weapon attackers. I will give you the encumberence saver, however, this is only useful some of the time, when it's being used by the more stealthier scout, rogue, possibly ranger, basically any class that would be using light armor and might not have the highest strength.

however, for those that do have high strengthes, and they happen to have a high strength score or wear medium armor already, then they can probably carry the ammunition fairly well normally anyway.

In any event, my major point is that while the haversack is extremely useful to all, the quiver seems mostly to have it's use stemmed in that of the light ranged attacker, who will eventually be able to carry 9 pounds of arrows and afford returning weapons as well.

Toliudar
2007-04-23, 02:10 PM
For Cloistered Clerics, druids, wizards who don't want to have to carry staffs around, and (of course) monks, the Monk's belt is great.

In close connection with the Haversack, most of my characters who actually WANT to adventure (as opposed to getting sucked into it for a while) bring a pickaxe, shovel, and crowbar. Great situational bonuses, and handy as improvised weapons.

Indon
2007-04-23, 02:15 PM
I'm partial to the spyglass, myself. If I recall, it doubles the range you can see (meaning you get +1 DC to Spot checks for every 20 feet instead of 10).

It also has the dubious merit of being one of the most expensive nonmagical items you can buy short of a horse, house, or vehicle.

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-23, 02:20 PM
It also has the dubious merit of being one of the most expensive nonmagical items you can buy short of a horse, house, or vehicle.
Right alongside the Water Clock, which is also one of the heaviest bits of gear you can buy (short of obviously large things)

Indon
2007-04-23, 02:22 PM
Ah, the Water Clock. I wonder how much damage it would do in the hands of a Drunken Master?

Pink
2007-04-23, 05:04 PM
Any character who plans to live outdoors for anylength of time should really invest in at least a shovel. Why?...I'll let that be answered by someone else :P

but yes, some of those tools are an adventurer must if they can be carried.

Variable Arcana
2007-04-23, 05:44 PM
My wizard has done quite well with a Haversack and a Decanter of Endless Water. After the party was dumped in the middle of a desert, those, combined with Secure Shelter and several Phantom Steeds came in quite handy indeed.

Obviously, a Headband of Intellect is enormously important for a wizard -- not so sure about Boccob's Book. It's a great deal of money for functionality that a Haversack provides -- easy enough to carry around three or four spellbooks instead of one Boccob's.

Also, my wizard finds a silk rope in his Haversack very useful -- especially with Animate Rope at first level (and even more so for those who use Rope Trick).

Every character, and I really mean *every* character, should have at least some kind of healing potion.

Pink -- I disagree about the Everburning Torch.

The Light cantrip is equivalent -- but takes a cantrip slot for 10 min/CL. (Granted, when we actually go dungeoneering, my wizard pulls out Mass Darkvision for nine hours, but it's nice to be able to see at dinner time as well.) Cantrip slots are actually quite valuable, in my experience. Between Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, and Message (not only good for secretly conferring in social situations, but also enormously enhances the usefulness of the Scrying spell) those slots (which don't benefit from an intelligence bonus) are too valuable to waste on two hours of torchlight.

And while you could, in fact, afford 55 sunrods for the cost of an everburning torch, those sunrods would occupy half of a Haversack. Not a good trade, for the same reason most fighters buy a +1 sword, when they can afford one, rather than 46 vials of Oil of Magic Weapon.

Pink
2007-04-23, 05:53 PM
I'm not suggesting actually buying all the 55 sunrods at the same time. but if you carry 4 or 5 at a time, and replenish whenever you come into town, you have a farther range of light and unless you're gonna be trapped under ground for a while, they can easily suffice.

as for why not to take the oils, well, that's require an action to put on and they could inconvieniantly run out :P

Ikkitosen
2007-04-23, 05:55 PM
The only item that every character of mine buys once they can afford it is a vest or cloak of resistance. ALWAYS need better saves.