PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help making Rakshasi villain more interesting.

Brendanicus
2015-05-18, 10:04 AM
So, I'm working on a plot for my game over my summer break, but I've hit a rut.

The villain is a Rakshasi (Not a typo; that's what female Rakshasas are called) who is trying to run an island kingdom into the ground in the most spectacular manner possible. I have a very basic backstory that gets the job done, but it needs more fleshing out if I want her to be a really memorable villain.
Ravani the Rakshasi was summoned by a circle of goblin shamans who lived on the island of Crownglade, 300 years before the events of the game took place. The goblin clans who ruled this land were in deep trouble, as an aspiring human warlord named Amala the Conquerer was doing what anybody called "the Conquerer" does. Goblin tribes were subject of genocide as Amala was rapidly colonizing Crownglade for human settlement.

The goblins needed a strong leader, and Ravani fitted the bill (For sufficient payment and promises of power, of course). However, she was summoned too late to stop the Amala. Ravani was slain personally by the warlord, and the last of the goblins were driven from Crownglade soon after.For some bizarre reason (and this in particular could use fleshing out), Ravani was sent to hell for much longer than most Rakshasis after death, about 230 years, actually. When she finally got back to the Material Plane, he found that the humans of Crownglade have formed a peaceful and prosperous kingdom, ruled by Queen Amala IV (Amala the Conquerer married a Wood Elf). Upon seeing that the brutal warlord had accomplished so much while she had suffered in Hell, Ravani swore revenge on the Amala dynasty and the humans of Crownglade.Being a Rakshasi, Ravani has a lot of tools to manipulate the powerful and all the time she wants to do it. Her first step was Dominating Amala IV, and ordering her to raise taxes stupendously, cut military spending, and quietly forge alliances with the ogre tribe of the neighboring swamp continent.

Phase 2 of her plan was to get as many ogres as possible into Crownglade, in hopes that Amala IV would get blamed for the resulting riots, pillaging, and violence. To do this, Ravani flew into Ogre lands, and proceeded to concoct a plan with the ogres' Oni Chief.

Ravani and the Oni created a fake story of a plague running rampant among the ogres. Oddly enough, the plague only affects ogres, and even then only at night. Ravani would then assume the disguise of a powerful noble, who would hire several trading ships to transport ogres from the swamps to Crowngade as a relief effort.

This is where the party comes in. They were in turn hired by one of the trading ship captains as mercenaries (transporting ogres is risky business).

Once the ogres arrive in the capital city, all hell breaks loose. Seeing as Crownglade's army was weak in the best of times, the ogres overwhelmed the city's defenses and are running loose across the country.

At about this time, the players should be investigating the pot in the countryside. While they are doing so, things have gotten even worse in the capital.

Ravani has hired several wizards from the Mages' Academy through the Queen. These wizards are instructed to use necromancy in order to raise dead ogres as soldiers. This would, in the Queen's worlds, allow Crownglade to quickly raise an army just as strong as the ogres are. Ravani plans to eventually dominate the necromancers. Once they are all under her control, she will assume control of the zombie ogre army, and use it to conduct genocide against all the humans in Crownglade.

Once every human in the country is dead, Ravani plans to execute Amala IV by throwing her into hell.This really needs some fleshing out. Rakshasas typically like the more decadent things in life, so I will keep that in mind, especially given Crownglade's current tax rate. Ravani is something of a functional alcoholic, and usually keeps a bottle of wine on her, even when disguised. That's something of a tell and a distinct quirk, but I feel like I need more. EDIT: Maybe the quirk transfers to those she has dominated? Like the Queen can now typically be found sipping on some wine.
Thanks for tolerating my wall of text, especially because the latter parts were more crunch than fluff. What could be improved on here, and how? Please note that I'm keeping the PC's goals intentionally vague, as they will likely evade Ravani's notice for quite a while.

Bigby
2015-05-18, 10:29 AM
Rakshasa are shapeshifters, right? I dunno, I barely know anything about them but I remember reading something like that in a campaign journal.

If this is true, and if you plan on this villain doing any sort of manipulative/disguise work, perhaps she should have a way to cancel out abilities that reveal her true nature? Or maybe not that could be interesting.

I say this because I think I remember seeing a Paladin ability that reveals shapeshifters for what they are... Turn the Faithless, I think? So if you have any sort of character with an ability like that, and you don't want an early reveal, I would probably keep those abilities in mind.

This would help make her a better villain, since it means she prepared for this possibility, and it makes it less easy for PC's to just find and smite her to death.

Note that this isn't any sort of expert or even amateur advice. It's just my thoughts and how I might do something, depending on the circumstances.

Hope you do a campaign journal of your game when it's running, by the by. I'd love to read it.

Brendanicus
2015-05-18, 10:36 AM
Rakshasa are shapeshifters, right? Not really, but they do get Disguise Self at will and 1 Dominate Person a day.

I like the advice to give her a magic item, even if players won't see her for a while.

The funny part about this campaign is that players will suspect the involvement of a shapeshifter early on. However, the fact that Ravani is in league with an Oni makes things even more hilarious, as there are actually TWO shapeshifters in play. Seeing as the Oni just likes killing people, Ravani has enlisted his help as her assassin. Therefore, the players will encounter the Oni much earlier than Ravani. Once they think they are safe from all the smoke and mirrors, the players realize that they have only begun.

DireSickFish
2015-05-18, 11:34 AM
Seems very fleshed out to me.

You could have a mid level part of the adventure be where the Raksasha is killing off suitors for the Queen so that her linage ends with her. This would be a good hook into discovering that someone is pulling the stings, but for far down the line.

If you're already planning on having necromancers then have the necromancers bring back the original Amala as a sentient death knight to ravage the lands she fought so hard to conquer int he first place.

I get that the ogers want to trash the place because ogers, but they could (especially the Oni) have there own motivations to work against the Raksasha. Not in huge overt combat ways but small differences in opinion or tactics. The Oni could be using her to grab a greater prize and overreaches causing him to go into conflict with the Raksasha. He wants to use the humans as slaves to run his empire which contrasts with her wanting all humans dead. Or he wants this island as a launching point further out to sea and is building ships when he "should" still be trying to snuff out the hard to take cities.

The 4 factions I'm seeing you have are: The Oni lead Ogers, The Necromancers, The Country of Crownglade, and the Raksashi herself. Don't make the mistake of having team evil all get along vs the Country of Crownglade, it will make it much more interesting if they have there own motivations for working together but rub each other the wrong way or are only held together while there goals align.

The head Necromancer -could- want to marry the queen to be the king of a country that allows Necromancy openly. After all if he saves them from the Ogers he'll be a big fat hero.

Since the Raksashi is alone in all of this, even tho by herself she is physically imposing, her main weapon is subterfuge and alliances. You've done a good job noticing this and having her work/manipulate others for her big evil scheme. After all she can't intimidate an army into following her. The PC's beat her by unraveling her alliances and eventually revealing her to the populace.

I think you have a really good setup for a game.

Bigby
2015-05-18, 11:40 AM
Yeah I wanted to suggest the way to avoid being revealed early on because I feel someone who's lived so long (or, I guess, suffered in hell for a while too), would naturally want ways to prevent being found out. Even if this person hasn't lived long, I take it Disguise Self is pretty important to this type of character when trying to carry out their plans, a la Mystique style. So, they would obviously (and quite logically) realize that they need a way to prevent people from finding out what they are, through normal or magical/divine means.

And unless Paladins, spellcasters in general, or especially shrewd adventurers are very rare in your world, I think she would have some failsafes in place. Especially if she uses an Oni as an assassin; she would probably have a special way to contact this asset so as to leave as little trace to herself as possible.

Shining Wrath
2015-05-18, 12:08 PM
The reason Ravani spent extra time in hell? She made the mistake of actually caring (a little) about the goblins she was called to save, and made a deal with a devil for more power in exchange for two centuries of service the next time she died on the prime material.

As an evil type person, the idea that her suffering is in any way her own fault for having made a poor choice simply does not compute. Her suffering at the hands of the fiend is the fault of the humans currently inhabiting the island, and never mind whether that's a complete inversion of the time line or not.

Brendanicus
2015-05-18, 12:24 PM
I get that the ogers want to trash the place because ogers, but they could (especially the Oni) have there own motivations to work against the Raksasha. Honestly, I plan on the reverse happening, with Ravani betraying the Oni. The genocidal phase of her plan would involved organizing the ogres under HER control, not the ONi. I do want he ogresto have more tactics and generally be more organized when the Oni is near, because he cares if the ogres are efficient, but Ravani just wants to sow discord.

I don't remember who posted the idea with the suitors, but I like it. It could work into a larger narrative if a fancy elf prince ails towards Crownglade in a fancy ship, filled with elf soldiers, with the intention of liberating the country and potentially marrying the Queen. The twist is that the Prince was assassinated on board (by the Oni), causing the ship to turn back home. (Good old fashioned slow elf decision-making).

EDIT: I might make the necromancers Death Clerics of Nerull. Make it that they were imprisoned, but are being pardoned on the condition that they help during these desperate times. Seeing as the ultimate goal is genocide, followers of Nerull would totally be on board. i want these guys to get along with Ravani, as there are even more major characters at play than those I've already described, and I don't want too many moving parts for what is going to be a semester-long campaign.

Marcelinari
2015-05-18, 01:11 PM
Another possible reason that her return was delayed by so long - Amala the Conqueror did not kill her, but defeated and imprisoned her, knowing that a slain Rakshasi would only return to plague her descendants. Ravani was imprisoned for more than 100 years, unaware of the outside world, before being accidentally slain by... a building collapse, maybe? Natural disater, methinks. This ups the stakes for Ravani and gives her even more reason to hate the Amala dynasty.

Brendanicus
2015-05-18, 01:53 PM
Another possible reason that her return was delayed by so long - Amala the Conqueror did not kill her, but defeated and imprisoned her, knowing that a slain Rakshasi would only return to plague her descendants. Ravani was imprisoned for more than 100 years, unaware of the outside world, before being accidentally slain by... a building collapse, maybe? Natural disater, methinks. This ups the stakes for Ravani and gives her even more reason to hate the Amala dynasty.
I like it. It just leaves open the possibility that If Amala the Conquerer knew of the threat to her descendants, why didn't she leave proper infiltration protocols for her descendants?

EDIT: Explanation found! Amala the Conquerer didn't know much about magic; she just cut off Ravani's hands so she couldn't cast spells, then chucked her in an island cave in the middle of nowhere until Ravani lost hope and committed suicide.

MrStabby
2015-05-19, 04:06 AM
Rakshasa are shapeshifters, right? I dunno, I barely know anything about them but I remember reading something like that in a campaign journal.

If this is true, and if you plan on this villain doing any sort of manipulative/disguise work, perhaps she should have a way to cancel out abilities that reveal her true nature? Or maybe not that could be interesting.

I say this because I think I remember seeing a Paladin ability that reveals shapeshifters for what they are... Turn the Faithless, I think? So if you have any sort of character with an ability like that, and you don't want an early reveal, I would probably keep those abilities in mind.

This would help make her a better villain, since it means she prepared for this possibility, and it makes it less easy for PC's to just find and smite her to death.

Note that this isn't any sort of expert or even amateur advice. It's just my thoughts and how I might do something, depending on the circumstances.

Hope you do a campaign journal of your game when it's running, by the by. I'd love to read it.

Would a familiar work? Someone detects Good and Evil and notices that where the Rakshasi is standing is coming up as an evil outsider - openly there is an Imp familiar on her shoulder and the "evil" gets attributed to it? The Rakshasi may have to explain away the familiar but that might be easier than explaining away her own evil presence.

Or she could carry around a lead sheet with her.