PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Spider King IC Thread

giles92
2015-05-18, 11:02 AM
"Levia Bornhold, Age Twelve, Currently Missing. 100 gold reward if found."

A pamphlet that has been passed around for over six months, Lady Bornhold is at her wits end. Without the means to cast expensive divination spells or hire a team of trained thief takers, she'd resorted to making cheap leaflets and passing them out at adventuring halls. Her hold was already crumbling and it seemed no one cared, not with the Crooked running about. Who will help this young widower recover her child?

Of course, the answer is you. To get started, Altonel sent the beginning task before you in a dream. The both of you were seated at a simple wooden table apart from one another in an empty tavern. He was sipping from a wooden mug and smiling. "I know I should probably do this through a bunch of confusing metaphors, but this way seemed a lot easier. There's this girl named Levia whose been taken from her home in Waterdeep and held in one of the biggest scum pits of the world, Luskan. The whole thing is part of a plot to take over the city of harbors, but that's getting a little ahead. For now, just focus on getting the girl back. Of course, you'll have backup. My other scions should be getting there around the same time. You'd better act fast, she doesn't have a lot of time left."

That was roughly a week ago. Now you find yourself staring at two other people, seated at the same table as in your dream. Just looking at them told you who they were. The Tavern was called Velkesh, which meant something appropriately violent in the orc tongue. It was one of the few places in Luskan where not being a monster wasn't guaranteed to get you killed. Still possible of course, just not guaranteed.

Zergrinch
2015-05-18, 06:32 PM
The water genasi looks around the tavern. In truth, Zander Galdursen much preferred to be in his home in the Icewind Dale wilderness. But that was before the nightmares, before his sleeping hours were plagued time and again by visions of a coming disaster associated with the evil queen of the drow. But that was then, and this is now, and so must the reclusive druid work with two others to rescue an innocent.

"I'm pretty sure you know who I am. I'm Zander Galdursen, a chosen, just like you. And in truth, you look just about as lost as I feel."

The druid takes full measure of the atmosphere around the tavern. His weapon of warning is silent - so far - but much can change in an instant. The former human would know full well about abrupt change...

Passive Perception 30: Anyone who looks like they may know things around here?

meltodowno
2015-05-19, 06:47 AM
Vimm pulled his hood back as he approached, and nodded thoughtfully at Zander's greeting, before flashing a grin that was almost beastial in it's countenance.

"Vimm, at his service. A pleasure to meet the others at last, but in answer to your question, no I'm far from lost - once you've lived in one hellhole, you tend to quickly figure out how they all work." he gestured to a table "Shall we? We likely have much to discuss."

Zergrinch
2015-05-19, 07:38 AM
"Good," the druid says, "At least one of us aren't out of their element! Lead the way, comrade Vimm."

Zander allows himself to be led by the human rogue to somewhere more private.

meltodowno
2015-05-19, 06:36 PM
Vimm took a seat, looking long and hard as he sized up the other chosen.

"So..." he started, pacing his words slowly "Levia. Do you have any simple suggestions on how to find her? I'd prefer to be certain we don't have a simpler method of finding her than turning over some dens hoping for a lead."

Infernally Clay
2015-05-20, 11:38 AM
"I am much more comfortable beating an answer out of someone," Hamza said bluntly, the simple act of sitting down causing her stool to creak under the weight, "Yet we might have more luck being friendly."

Drinking from her goblet which, fitting for a woman of her size, was about three times larger than a normal one, the goliath eyed the rest of the patrons of this Velkesh place. Which ones here looked the most suitable for questionable wet work? They often say taverns like these are a hive of scum and villainy, so someone must know something. Thankfully, magic made friends out of strangers.

meltodowno
2015-05-21, 08:10 AM
"Fine, lets go be nice."

Vimm walked up to the bar and pushed the flyer towards the bartender.

"Hi, I'm looking for some information. Perhaps you might know who I need to talk to to get some?" he looked around at the tavern "I had heard this was the place to come to, I do hope they weren't mistaken.

[roll0]

Infernally Clay
2015-05-21, 09:35 AM
"I shall make my own friends," Hamza said, grinning like the devil as she drank the last of her goblet and stood up. Turning around, she addressed the other patrons.

"I am bored and I have money," she said, dropping a heavy bag of gold pieces on the table at the centre of the room, "So who will test their strength against mine? I will beat any of you at arm wrestling. If you beat me, this gold is yours. All two thousand pieces."

Zergrinch
2015-05-21, 04:14 PM
Zander tries his best to melt into the background and just watch.

Stealth: [roll0]

giles92
2015-05-27, 01:01 AM
Vimm

The bartender, a ragged looking wererat, takes one look at the pamphlet and raises his eyebrows in mild surprise. "Don't know where the nine 'ells you think you are, but not the place to be askin questions like that. Seem nice enough, so I'll do ya a favor. The only things around ere that could help ya are the enemies of whos ever done this. No one else would know or care. If ya lookin for that may be, I'd try the Magpies or The Baron. Both are dangerous enough, but the Baron migh elp outta the sheer novelty of it."

Hamza

The patrons, recognizing a sucker bet when they see one, don't take the bet. In fact, most of them are on the weedier side. Mostly half orcs and wererats, it's clear the more dangerous creatures drink elsewhere.

meltodowno
2015-05-27, 09:16 AM
Vimm grinned broadly.

"Just as well courting danger is something of a hobby of mine then, I guess."

He broke into a soft laugh, before continuing.

"This ... Baron. Are we talking actual Baron - head of a barony, or the title of some underground figurehead? Either way I'd certainly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction to find them."

He nodded towards Hamza.

"Sooner I'm out of here the less trouble she'll start with your clientelle, and you seem to run a reasonable establishment - I might like to return for more drinks later. So if you would be so kind, then I can get her out of your hair."

Infernally Clay
2015-05-27, 04:11 PM
"No takers?" Hamza sighed, "Not even if I only use one finger? My pinky, perhaps."

giles92
2015-05-29, 05:44 PM
Vimm grinned broadly.

"Just as well courting danger is something of a hobby of mine then, I guess."

He broke into a soft laugh, before continuing.

"This ... Baron. Are we talking actual Baron - head of a barony, or the title of some underground figurehead? Either way I'd certainly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction to find them."

He nodded towards Hamza.

"Sooner I'm out of here the less trouble she'll start with your clientelle, and you seem to run a reasonable establishment - I might like to return for more drinks later. So if you would be so kind, then I can get her out of your hair."

The bartender gave a short, skittery laugh. "A real baron aroun here? Nah, the Barons a troll. Troll with a brain, ifin ya can believe it. E runs most ah the disposeble magic trade an any gamblin. Potions, drugs, scrolls, that sorta thing. Spose to have a temple ta Talos churn the stuff out for im. Ya wanna see im, make a meetin wit one of his goons. They'll be the big ones wearin pants an shoes."

Zergrinch
2015-05-30, 07:41 PM
Zander is bored out of his skull, and decides to get everyone's tongues flowing a bit more easily. The druid strolls over to the bartender and places a platinum coin on the counter.

"A free round for everyone!" he shouts.

meltodowno
2015-05-31, 01:41 AM
Vimm sauntered back towards his companions table and waited patiently for everyone to return.

"So, it seems we need to speak with a troll calling himself The Baron, he runs the trade for consumable magic round here, and seems to be in charge of gambling to boot. Associated with Talos worshippers. Apparently his gang are general big and wearing 'pants and shoes'."

He looked Hamza.

"Might be easiest for you, since you seem fond of gambling ?"

giles92
2015-06-01, 07:57 AM
The bartender gives Zander an incredulous look before grabbing the coin and filling mugs with cheap ale. "You lot might wanna git outta ere. Golds bad enough, but even these dregs will kill for platnum. Well, they"ll at least grab one with the muscle ta take it. Opefully the free booze will slow em down long enough ta stop this place from becomin a blood bath."

Zergrinch
2015-06-02, 04:38 AM
Zander returns to the table with his fellows, and makes a show of emptying his coin pouch and slowly counting all his cash: in all, 51 platinum pieces and 25 gold pieces.

Passive Perception 30 to be on the lookout for trouble.

giles92
2015-06-02, 04:14 PM
The tavern erupts in a massive frenzy, each occupant trying to get their hands on the big pile of money! Five in particular stand out. A one-armed orc wielding an axe made of bone, two female wererats carrying rusty daggers, a half-orc with his bar stool, and an older looking werewolf with his bare claws. If you want to participate in the fight, draw your weapons and roll for initiative!

You can either start initiative or leave the bar entirely.

meltodowno
2015-06-02, 04:55 PM
Vimm shook his head at Zander's obvious attempt to start a fight. He couldn't see anything to be gained from the act, and stood up to make his exit.

"Enjoy yourself."

Once outside, Vimm cracked his neck. This was exactly why he preferred working alone. He hoped his lord had a plan, but for the life of him, in the moment he couldn't see it.

Instead, Vimm decided to do something more productive, and started walking the street, hoping to spot a potential member of the Baron's gang.

Zergrinch
2015-06-02, 07:06 PM
At the first hint of trouble, Zander sweeps up all his coin into his pouch. He is a bit disappointed at Vimm's exit, and looks expectantly at his other comrade. Will she fight, or will she flee?

If Hamza stays, cast Spirit Guardians. If Hamza flees, flee along with her, and cast Faerie Fire on the whole tavern upon exiting the tavern.

Mechanics:
Spirit Guardians: Fey spirits flit around Zander to a distance of 15 feet. Designate Hamza and the Bartender to be unaffected. Affected creatures' speed are halved in the area. A creature entering the area or starting its turn there must make a WIS save (DC 18) or take 3d8 radiant damage, or half on a save. Lasts up to 10 minutes.

Faerie Fire: Green light envelopes every object in a 20-foot cube around the spell's center. Any creature caught within the area must make a DEX save (DC 18) or shed dim light in a 10-foot radius. Affected creatures grant advantage to all attack rolls, and lose the benefit of invisibility. Lasts up to 1 minute.

Both spells are Concentration spells.

giles92
2015-06-05, 05:55 PM
Vimm

You exit the smelly tavern, only to walk into a smellier street. Without any centralized government, Luskan is literally filled with garbage and waste. A few of the tougher scavengers still remain and have become dangerous themselves. It's said poison derived the innards of a Luskan pigeon is deadlier than most adders and nearly as dangerous to harvest. You spot your mark almost instantly, a well armored ogrillon. Her axe shines with mithral and is obviously of higher quality. The thug's clothes, though plain, are completely intact and moderately clean. For Luskan, that's the equivalence of a noble's robes.

Infernally Clay
2015-06-06, 05:53 AM
Hamza wasn't interested in fighting a bunch of weaklings that lacked the courage to even arm wrestle, so she grabbed Zander by the collar and left with her new companions. When they came across their mark, she almost stopped in surprise.

"An ogrillon?" Hamza said, impressed to see such a fine warrior - even one probably lacking intellectually, like most of her brethren - hired as a guard. Whoever had recruited her obviously had a way with words and a keen eye for talent. Either that or they just picked the scariest looking person in the room and gave them shiny things to keep them occupied. Either way, Hamza didn't care. She felt she could handle ten ogrillons right now and was itching for a proper fight so much she hoped nine more were hiding around the corner.

"Take us to your boss." Hamza said, addressing the ogrillon with the kind of authority that implied it wasn't a request.

giles92
2015-06-07, 09:27 PM
The incredibly brutish looking woman gives the group a once over before shrugging and walking down the street, motioning you to follow her. Her speech, through delivered in a rough tone, lacks most of the grammar and syntax errors common to orcs. "Baron is always interested in new opportunities, especially in the form of mercs or adventurers, whichever you may be. Names Crove if it makes a difference. He's actually pretty damn amidable, if you can get past the skin and face. Hope you do come on board. Need some fresh female blood in the place." Turning her head to face Hamza, she gives the goliath a cheery wink and attempts to form her mouth full of fangs into a sultry smile.

Zergrinch
2015-06-07, 10:01 PM
Zander tags along, giggling to himself at the fracas that has now enveloped the entire tavern. With Faerie Fire cast on everyone in the room, he wonders what the casualties are going to be once the brawl ends.

giles92
2015-06-16, 01:56 PM
Life has gotten far too complicated to maintain this thread any longer as my work hours have nearly been doubled. My deepest apologies to all players, but I'm closing this campaign.