PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Xerox (Sorcerer Spell Lv. 2)

ChubbyRain
2015-05-18, 11:03 AM
Xerox
Level 2 Evocation
V, S, M

As an action or bonus action you may cast any 1st level spell that you have seen cast by any ally within 60' after the end of your last turn. You may copy an enemy's spell provided you use a bonus action and pass an Arcana (Int) check versus a DC 8 + Spell level. You can not copy spells that come from magic items.

The spell must have a casting time of no more than one action or bonus action, this spell uses the same action as the copied spell.

This spell works exactly as the original spell including verbal, somatic, and material components and level. You use your spell casting ability and yourself as the source of this spell. You may modify this copied spell with metamagic.

If you use this spell in a 3rd level or higher spell slot (up to 6th level) you may copy a spell whose level is one below the level of which you cast this spell from. You may use spell slots of 7th level and higher but you can still only copy a 5th level or lower spell.

Special: Bards can not learn this spell via magical secrets. If you Xerox a metamagic spell you must pay SP in order to copy the metamagic and you can't further change the spell via metamagic (no twin spelling a twin spell) and you must know the metamagic in order to Xerox the original spell.

Designer Spell Note: casting Xerox as a subtle spell would be fun as hell and totally works.

PotatoGolem
2015-05-19, 10:59 PM
I like it! Seems flavorful and useful, but not OP. You should probably tag this as 5e, though- took me sec to figure out what the system was.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-20, 10:24 AM
I like it! Seems flavorful and useful, but not OP. You should probably tag this as 5e, though- took me sec to figure out what the system was.

Thanks!

I just never liked how the sorcerer was supposed to be this person that used raw magic but could only use the wizard spell list (and even then, not all the spells).

The sorcerer should have their own spell list that takes spells from everywhere so to show that they make their own spells and aren't just another caster's kid brother/sister.

I thought I did tag it... Oopse... Thanks for the heads up.

meltodowno
2015-05-20, 10:34 AM
Mimic
Level 2 Evocation
V, S

As an action you may cast any 1st level spell that you have seen cast by any ally within 60' after the end of your last turn. This spell works exactly as the original including casting time and material components. You use your spell casting ability and yourself as the source d this spell. You may modify this mimic spell with metamagic.

When you cast this spell in a 3rd level or higher slot you may mimic a spell cast by an ally of 2nd level or higher.

Special: Bards can not learn this spell via magical secrets.

Yep, wording needs changing. As written I can cast it as a 3rd level spell to copy a 9th level spell.

My only 2 real complaints are:

1: It's a bit dull in of itself, it requires you to mimic something and ally does, provided its weaker than the spell slot you are giving up. I'd probably remove the ally restriction so it's at least useful in parties that are light on casters.

2: The name. Mimic's are a classic DnD monster, so I'd rename it to something like Echo Magic, so it is has it's own defined identity.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-28, 03:27 AM
Yep, wording needs changing. As written I can cast it as a 3rd level spell to copy a 9th level spell.

My only 2 real complaints are:

1: It's a bit dull in of itself, it requires you to mimic something and ally does, provided its weaker than the spell slot you are giving up. I'd probably remove the ally restriction so it's at least useful in parties that are light on casters.

2: The name. Mimic's are a classic DnD monster, so I'd rename it to something like Echo Magic, so it is has it's own defined identity.

Dull?

This spell is probably broken as is and makes the sorcerer one of the most versitile casters in the game. I'm really thinking of making it a 3rd level spell to copy a 1st level spell.

This spell allows a sorcerer to always be ready in case a specific spell is needed or a specific spell is really effective.

I need to mention that the spell only needs to originally be a lower level spell, if the caster used Cure Wounds in a 3rd level slit the sorcerer could copy it with their spell but it would only be a first level Cure Wounds.

Still working on the name, copy cat is a bad name too.

In all honesty this may need to not be a spell and just a class feature usable 1/short rest.

Fizban
2015-05-28, 08:09 AM
5e is already very tightly controlled, and all this spell does is let you pay a premium to effectively convert your spell slots into those of your allies. It's not actually an increase in spells known or even staying power since you're limited to spells that were cast nearby in the last turn, requiring coordination for best results. Useful, especially if you've chosen an otherwise very narrow list of spells known for yourself? Sure, but not overpowered.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-28, 10:06 AM
5e is already very tightly controlled, and all this spell does is let you pay a premium to effectively convert your spell slots into those of your allies. It's not actually an increase in spells known or even staying power since you're limited to spells that were cast nearby in the last turn, requiring coordination for best results. Useful, especially if you've chosen an otherwise very narrow list of spells known for yourself? Sure, but not overpowered.

I need to add in some sort of limit on what spells can be copied, as is the Sorcerer can now copy things like Clone or Simulacrum without knowing the spell.

In battle, being able to copy something that works, is a skill that really really helps. A well timed Reverse Gravity (enemy number 1) and then Reverse Gravity (enemy number 2) can be a life saver.

That said, I think I will reduce the maximum spell slot used to 6th level. The Sorcerer can only copy spells of 5th level or lower from another class. Not only does this stop some of the more powerful spells from being reproduced but it protects some of the other classes from having their special high level spells from being shared.

Edit
Changed the spell, the above no longer really applies.