PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play! Move Some Threads; Ridiculous Edition

Crow
2015-05-18, 12:57 PM
Can we please relocate the several Let's Play (and Let's Play-like) threads from the Gaming subforum to the Play By Post subforum? This is starting to look like the versus threads of a few years back in the Media subforum.

For example, there are seven Civ5 threads on the first page of the gaming forum as I type. These things are getting out of hand; sifting through all of these to find the actual discussion threads is getting tiresome.

Thank you.

Sallera
2015-05-18, 03:28 PM
Can we not? (Most) LPs are not PbP games; it's one person doing the storytelling, with occasional votes from the readers. There's no gaming going on in the thread itself.

I can see where you're coming from in regards to the Civ5 GMR threads' resemblance to OOC threads, but those are not LPs and oughtn't be used to attack them.

Crow
2015-05-18, 04:59 PM
Well we have;

"For the discussion of video games, board games, war games, LARPs, kick-the-can, etc."

and

"A forum for any kind of quote games, continuing story games, "What would you do if?" games, or whatever anyone comes up with."

These seem to fit better in the latter. If we can't relocate them there to play-by-post, can we create a sub-forum beneath the Gaming section for these?

Sallera
2015-05-18, 05:05 PM
It'd be a pretty sparse subforum - there are all of eight actual LPs in the first hundred threads in Gaming. The GMR threads I could see in another location, though.

Crow
2015-05-18, 05:08 PM
From my OP:

"Let's Play (and Let's Play-like)"

Let's not split hairs here. You know what I'm talking about.

Sallera
2015-05-18, 05:11 PM
See above edit. The GMR threads are neither LPs nor anything like them; if they're all you have a problem with, perhaps a thread title change is in order?

Edit: And upon actually reading one, the GMR threads (or at least the one I checked) appear to consist mostly of discussing the game itself as much as that specific instance of it, so they're probably best suited for the Gaming forum as well.

Edit: Ach, pedantry. Never mind, I'm not invested as long as the actual LPs are left alone.

Crow
2015-05-18, 05:21 PM
The threads in question, and the ones like them are functionally similar to message board games, regardless of the discussion that takes place in them (which is the same game discussion that takes place in every play-by-post thread). Seriously, this is just like the versus thread epidemic of a few years back.

Let's let the mods take a look and decide what they want to do. As-is, these threads taken with the several threads that are spiritually similar (Let's Play and Let's Play-like) are choking up the subforum. Why not throw them all into a place made just for them, and make it easier on everybody? Everybody wins.

Fri
2015-05-19, 04:31 AM
To be honest, there's not even that many lp now There were even more LP a few years back. And back then some people asked for a new subforum for them. But back then the mods didn't grant it. They didn't even grant the request of an lp index sticky, they just didn't think the lps are that many. Just a few months ago, I asked for it again, but they still didn't think it's needed.

I like the idea for an lp subforum, but I dunno if the mods will change their mind.

The Dark Fiddler
2015-05-22, 09:39 PM
To be honest, there's not even that many lp now There were even more LP a few years back. And back then some people asked for a new subforum for them. But back then the mods didn't grant it. They didn't even grant the request of an lp index sticky, they just didn't think the lps are that many. Just a few months ago, I asked for it again, but they still didn't think it's needed.

I like the idea for an lp subforum, but I dunno if the mods will change their mind.

As the person who maintained that index for its natural life, I can confirm that Fri is pretty much right. Looking through the subforum right now I don't see nearly as many LPs as we had back then. There was a time you might as well have renamed the subforum LPs. Back then the mods didn't consider there a need for moving them, or even putting the index on sticky, so I can't imagine it'd happen now either.

I think an important distinction between LPs and the versus threads, even hypothetically if you accept that they're equal in number, is that LPs are generally long-term creative efforts while versus threads without much merit, proposal, or discussion would clog up the front page only to go nowhere.