PDA

View Full Version : [Traveller] Onboard Exalibur

Lacco
2015-05-19, 01:35 AM
The office of Bank House Razali was comfortable, spacy and illuminated by large windows. It was carpeted by Izhian rugs and full of Q’raki orchids – sure signs of prosperity and luxury. The bank manager however, did not fit this luxurious and tastefully decorated room.

He smiled at you - at least you think he did for it was a shark smile, slimy and full of teeth and continued his speech.
…now, just sign here, here and here…each of you. A simple press of your thumb will suffice – don’t mind the small sting.
He waited until you all did so.
Congratulations, you are now proud owner of Excalibur III. Your deposit has been transferred and your mortgage approved. We will now expect first agreed payment to be done within one standard month. As for the ship, it is docked in section R, dock 47F. Your docking fee is paid for next 24 hours, courtesy of bank house Razali. He bowed his massive, warty head a little. Good luck on your travels.

With that, you left the office.

Dock 22C.

Exalibur.

It looked wonderful, it smelled new. Its titanium plates shone, bathed in the Galifreyian summer sun. Dock maintenance crew was just packing up.

You stand in the in sunny dock, looking at your new ship. The dock is circular, mainly automated, containing everything necessary for repairs and maintenance of your ship - from spare parts to machinery. An elderly tech and someone who looks like an accountant are discussing something at the computer at the far side of the dock. There are several cargo-carriers parked on your right, as well as set of public terminals.

According to the status log, the ship was just refueling - another favor from Razali, however for the money they took you felt it was a bad joke - and was missing only the crew, supplies, cargo and passengers. Otherwise it was ready for its first flight.

It is now yours. According to the chronograph in the dock, you now have 23 hours 14 minutes to leave the dock or pay a docking fee of 1000 Credits.

First journey of Excalibur starts now.

samduke
2015-05-19, 07:16 AM
Krysta having been selected as Captain of the Excalibur walks to a large viewport looking up through it at the Excalibur, then proceeds to walk towards the entry hatch, she looks over to the elderly tech and someone who looks like an accountant, Pardon me gentlemen is all in order here? walking to the hatch, waiting just a moment for a reply before opening the hatch and entering the Excalibur, Once inside taking a quick glance down the walkway she turns and heads for the bridge, once there she turns the main computers on and waits for the status readout for the ship, once done reading the report she activates the auto docking system with a transponder code so she can bring the Firefly onboard with little fuss, once complete she leave the Excalibur seals the hatch then proceeds to catch a transport to the small craft hanger where the firefly is currently stationed, once there she will pilot it to the Excalibur and dock into its small craft bay using the preset transponder code. she will then lock it down and hook up the electric and fuel transfer lines to the firefly, she then will head back to the bridge and begin a pre-flight check with the computer.
Launch status check
BATTERY- ---------------------ON /GUARD CLOSED
STANDBY POWER ------------GUARD CLOSED
FUEL PUMP--------------------ON
APU----------------------------START
APU GEN ----------------------ON
APU BLEEDS-------------------ON
ESCAPE PODS ----------------ARMED
ENG.HYDR PUMPS ------------ON
FUEL----------------------------CHECK LOADED
COMM RADIOS ----------------SET
TRANSPONDER CODE ---------SET
TRANSPONDER ----------------STBY
FLIGHT COMPUTERS-----------ON
FUEL PUMPS -------------------ON
ENG 2 START LEVER ----------IDLE
ENG 2---------------------------STABILISED
ENG 1 START LEVER-----------IDLE
ENG 1---------------------------STABILISED
CONTROLS----------------------CHECK
GENERATOR 1 & 2 -------------ON
RECERC.FANS-------------------ON
FUEL FLOW ---------------------ACTIVE
STROBE LIGHTS ---------------OFF
PAYLOAD------------------------EMPTY
TAKEOFF CLEARENCE----------NONE

With the pre-flight check completed Krysta once again leaves the Excalibur seals the hatch and begins the task of looking for her crew, a cargo broker, and passengers.

ocato
2015-05-19, 09:42 AM
Ping stands in the massive archway of the hangar, inspecting the ship from afar. He gives off a tight-lipped, reserved little smile. Ping is a short man of asian descent, with short black hair and a long, weary face that seems somewhere between exhausted and exasperated at all times. His frame is narrow and his stride both short and humble. When not engaged, his hands are firmly grasped behind his back. Ping takes a deep breath. This is it, he says to himself hopefully as he begins to walk closer to the ship. Standing nearby, apparently just returned from bringing her private ship, is the captain whom Ping is already loosely acquainted with. When Ping was a planetside broker he dealt with Captain Hathaway regularly, and had come to respect her.

Good morning, Captain, Ping says, giving a deep bow. I trust everything is to your specifications. Ping speaks in a direct, controlled manner, derived from his years of training in negotiation. He gives no clue as to how he feels or what he thinks, instead speaking clearly and devoid of emotion. Please inform me once you have decided on our destination, Captain, so that I can arrange for cargo and passengers-- with your permission, of course.

samduke
2015-05-19, 01:06 PM
After departing the ship in her effort to locate the crew she all but bumps into Ping an interesting fellow with whom has has had dealings with in the past,
Please inform me once you have decided on our destination Captain, so that I can arrange for cargo and passengers-- with your permission, of course.
Mr. Ping I am looking forward to our travels together you will find your access code to the ship is functional and your stateroom ready to be occupied. As for desitnation, I would like to avoid some of the amber and red sectors for her first run out nodding towards the Excalibur, so if you would Mr. Ping find us some paying passengers that want to goto places that we can also run cargo and maybe even the mail she's got 66T avail space pack her full. I will leave the details in your hands Mr. Ping for now I must go arrange our departure with the dock master. With that she turns, walks off to the dock masters office.

*edit
Krysta checks for the following
1 : Supplies ( (1d6)[5] ) tens ( (1d6)[3] ) ones
1a: Supplies ( (1d6)[6] )
2: Check for Potential Passengers ( (1d6)[6] )
3: get Cargo - non-mail freight shipment ( (1d6+2)[4] )
4: get Mail - see if Mail is available to haul ( (1d6+5)[7] )

Lacco
2015-05-20, 05:26 AM
. Krysta .

The accountant sizes her up, quickly checks his handheld computer, which IDs her as a captain and smiles with the automatic smile of someone, who gets paid for being nice to you.

Everything is in order here. We are just going over the maintenance report and billing. Everythin seems to be in order. I wish you a good day and good travels., turning back to the tech without waiting for herreply.

The preflight check goes as smooth as possible. The ship responds quite fast and the cabin smells of industrial lubricants and steel - the smell of new ship. The controls seem instinctive. It seems too good to be true.

After discussion with Ping she checks the terminal near the dock master's office.

<<<Welcome to the SMSystem>>>
Please enter your ship ID and password.
SHIP_ID: Excalibur III
Password: *************
<<<Welcome, captain Hathaway.>>>

Message from: Razali Banking House
Time: 5 minutes ago
RE: Life Support Supplies

Dear captain,
life support supplies will be provided as per agreement for first month of operation.
The supplies will be available at 13:35 today at the respective dock.
Loading of them shall be arranged by you, or by dock employees (for compensation).
Have a pleasant day.

<<<End Message>>>

Checking the time, this gives them 2 hours until supplies are ready.

She quickly tried checking for passengers, cargo and mail in the dock list, however not knowing which world are they planning to go to, the list was useless for her.

Please put the rolls into dice roll thread or to spoilers.

Also, you need to decide on the destination - or do you want to select it based on who is available?

A crew meeting would be in order :smallsmile:

. Ping .

As captain stated, his access code worked. He quickly checked the wall terminal for staterooms.

<<<Excalibur III - Terminal 4>>>
Stateroom status:
2 occupied
8 empty

Stateroom 1 (Captain's cabin)
Located next to the bridge, portside

Stateroom 2
Located on first deck, next to the ship locker and bridge, starboard

Stateroom 3
Located on first deck, next to the common area, portside

Stateroom 4
Located on first deck, next to the common area, starboard

Stateroom 5
Located on first deck, next to the common area, portside

Stateroom 6
Located on first deck, next to the common area, starboard

Stateroom 7
Located on second deck, next to Storage, starboard

Stateroom 8
Located on second deck, next to Storage, portside

Stateroom 9
Located on second deck, next to Engineering, starboard

Stateroom 10
Located on second deck, next to Engineering, portside

Ping selected his stateroom and marked it in the system. While walking to the room, he met their resident technician - a man named Blaze - who was just checking the level of coolant in the ship's system. He noticed Ping, nodded to him and returned to work, humming some old song.

After that he quickly found his way and settled in. There was a terminal also in his room, connected currently to the dock system - so he can check for information directly from the ship. He paused for a moment, because he thought he heard someone shout his name outside.

Do you have the system map? I don't know if it has been distributed or if I should upload it somewhere.

galenbd
2015-05-20, 07:31 AM
Martin waited some distance away, appearing to be working on an old junk part left out in the street, watching the comings and goings on the ship. He tried to formulate an identity that he could maintain for months on end with the rest of the crew, but worried it wouldn't hold together. In the end, he decided to relax some. They weren't after his past and he didn't have to reveal it.

Once the woman leaves, he figures that's one less to deal with at a time. He strolled up to the ship and entered the access code given to him by the mortgage broker.

He closes the door and slowly prowls through the ship, listening for the other occupants. Once he identifies their locations, he starts shuffling around and making a bit more noise before choosing a stateroom. Once he converts it's status to occupied, he moves to a computer terminal in the common area to analyze the onboard computer.

I have time, so I don't think a roll is needed.

JNAProductions
2015-05-20, 07:39 AM
A tall, broad-shouldered man rushes into the Excalibur's hangar, swearing under his breath. When he reaches the ship, he starts yelling up Hey! Ping, hey!

Lacco
2015-05-20, 08:20 AM
. Martin .

On his way to the ship he was nearly tackled by the tall man, who started yelling for your common acquaitance, Ping.

The stateroom was small, but seemed comfortable. This would be his home for quite some time. The terminals were standard, however, once he connected to the ship's computer, it whirred and worked under his fingers - it was just as he requested. The best that could be bought for the money he spent.

The computer is Model 4/R20. Each terminal is Computer/0.

And for my information - which stateroom did he select?

. Anderson .

On his way to the ship he nearly tackled the guy whom he saw fixing something in the street. He was in hurry, he had to pick up his duffel bag and all personal items and was ready to get on board.

ocato
2015-05-20, 08:54 AM
Sitting in his stateroom, Ping pauses at the sound of his name. The sound of rustling in a nearby stateroom was not the source, and for a moment Ping considered the possibility of an intruder. Unlikely, Ping mutters to himself, stepping into the hallway and quietly cataloging the various people. Ping is not particularly keen of senses, but between the technician working, the mystery crewman rustling, and this man calling--- This man, Ping says aloud, surprise in his tone, This man, indeed. Hello Lance Sergeant Magnus, a privilege to see you again. Ping bows, a sincere smile on his face. Captain Hathaway is making our final arrangements with the dockmaster, and I believe our other crew members have come aboard. Ping attempts to speak loud enough to be heard in the neighboring staterooms, hoping that whomever else is aboard will come out and meet with Magnus and him. I was just about to check the sub-sector map and begin plotting our profitability vectors, but I have a few moments. How have you been, sir?

JNAProductions
2015-05-20, 09:02 AM
Magnus grabs Ping, lifting him off his feet in a hug. Been in a piece of clart hellhole of a planet, but your advice damned saved my life! He lets Ping down, his face split in a wide grin. Was glad to get the chance to repay you. I quit the Marines after Catachan, so it's not Lance Sergeant. Security Officer Anderson Magnus of the Excalibur, reporting, sir! He follows the sir with a brief, humorous salute.

samduke
2015-05-20, 01:19 PM
While at the dock masters office Krysta activates the computer systems to see if Melarn, Isxiax & Stormfare have anything for Exclaliburs first run

2: Check for Potential Passengers melarn : (1d6)[4]
2: Check for Potential Passengers isciax : (1d6)[6]
2: Check for Potential Passengers stormfare : (1d6)[3]

3: Check for non-mail freight shipment melarn : (1d6)[2] +2
3: Check for non-mail freight shipment isciax : (1d6)[1] +2
3: Check for non-mail freight shipment stormfare : (1d6)[5] +2

3: Check for Mail is available to haul melarn : (1d6)[4] +5
3: Check for Mail is available to haul isciax : (1d6)[6] +5
3: Check for Mail is available to haul stormfare : (1d6)[4] +5

Lacco
2015-05-20, 03:23 PM
. Krysta .

Krysta entered the parameters into ship computer and waited for results.

<<<Dock Administration Office Network>>>
Inquiry no. 3948-44B-2A

<<<Please wait, your results are being compiled...>>>

Passenger list to Melarn:

13 passengers for low passage

Arthuro Caliente, 22, drifter
James J. Johnson, 37, freelance journalist
William "Ace" Hennessy, 33, navy pilot
Clint Westhill, 44, unemployed actor
Marcel Elé, 56, retiree
Ilona Neblazni, 39, unemployed
Claudio Chiaro-Oscuro, 27, engineer
Family Oriola (Per Solomon, 39, accountant; Garrika, 36, housewife; Massariga, 17, student; Orista, 13, dependent)
Emma and Eva Soporangi, 19, students

7 passengers for medium passage

Padre Enrico Spadona, 64, priest
Miriam and Martin Soleidad, 27, 31, honeymoon
Ulrich Sandau, 35, labourer
Richie Forrester, 21, unemployed
Olivia Parizekova, 24, unemployed model

Passenger list to Isciax:

3 passengers for medium passage

Sergio Mendoza, 45, entertainer
Marciek Svidron, 28, unlisted
Gizka Onova, 68, retired TV anchor

Passenger list to Stormfare:

7 passengers for low passage

Manuel Cordoba, 55, hotel employee
Iris Diburba, 31, telemarketer
Steve Imko, 26, security engineer
Paul M. Dib, 22, marketing team leader
Wilson Orban Kicsilany, 39, assistant
Mike and Debra Walker, 39, 37, navy retirees

6 passengers for medium passage

Family Battles (Paul, 39, translator; Petra, 34, professional speaker; John, 12, dependant, Ringeira, 10, dependant)
Clark Kentingson, 24, newspaper intern
Ivan Zdrogan, 19, student

10 passengers for high passage

Sir Orville Mayes, 49, nobleman with entourage of 4 persons
Stella Flemming, 24, model
Ian Gordon, 29, photographer
Nistaj Wiazanka, 35, clothes designer
Mirjam Mirjang, 21, heiress
Irilan Quardong, 58, retiree

Freigh shipments to Melarn:
None available

Freigh shipments to Isciax:

Freigh shipment A65-S77-V48652B-X001
Contents: 20 tons of frozen vegetables

Freigh shipments to Stormfare:

Freigh shipment A65-S77-V48SAAB-V001
Contents: 5 tons of textiles

Freigh shipment A65-S77-V48652B-Z188
Contents: 15 tons of live plants

Freigh shipment A65-S77-V48Q5CB-X110
Contents: 30 tons of electronic toys

Freigh shipment A65-S77-VV8652B-X014
Contents: 20 tons of prosthetics

Freigh shipment A65-S77-V48653B-X420
Contents: 30 tons of still pictures

Freigh shipment A75-S77-M752ARR-A488
Contents: 30 tons of syrups

Freigh shipment A65-S77-V48653B-VA18
Contents: 40 tons of aromatics

Freigh shipment A65-S77-V48653B-MO01
Contents: 10 tons of toilet paper

Freigh shipment A65-S77-V48653B-A10A
Contents: 20 tons of pure mountain water

Mail available to Melarn?
No mail available at present time.

Mail available to Isciax?
5 tons of mail available, reward: 25 KCr

Mail available to Stormfare?
5 tons of mail available, reward: 25 KCr

<<<End of listing. Another inquiry? Y/N>>>

Ooof...

galenbd
2015-05-20, 08:50 PM
Martin hears a bunch of noise from the hallway. Satisfied with the state of the computer, he sticks his head out, seeing the two friends getting reacquainted. He walks out and introduces himself, "Hello all, I'm Martin."

JNAProductions
2015-05-20, 09:08 PM
Nice to meet you, Martin, Magnus says as he walks over, sticking his hand out to shake. Anderson Magnus-I'll be in charge of keeping you sorry grots alive when clart goes to hell around here, he finishes with a cheeky grin.

ocato
2015-05-20, 10:09 PM
Ping smiles and nods to Magnus, and then to Martin as he joins the conversation. Excellent, glad to have you both, I look forward to working with both of you. Once the Captain has completed her calculations I believe we should have a ship meeting to discuss our roles in the crew and our goals for this mission. Ping says, with a slow, deliberate manner that is both diplomatic and warm. Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go make some purchases for our inaugural voyage.

With that, Ping bows again and returns to his stateroom. There, he punches his access codes into the computer, accesses the planetside brokerage, and purchases the electronics and livestock that he intends to sell on their next stop in Moryon.

Lacco
2015-05-21, 01:29 AM
. Ping .

The display shows the logo of house Razali and starts to show him their current stock.

<<<House Razali Brokerage Network>>>

<<<Current offer:>>>

30 tons of basic electronics at 2,500 cr/ton
20 tons of basic machine parts at 2,500 cr/ton
50 tons of basic manufactured goods at 7,000 cr/ton
30 tons of basic raw materials at 4,000 cr/ton
40 tons of basic consummables at 2,000 cr/ton
50 tons of basic ore at 800 cr/ton
15 tons of advanced electronics at 50,000cr/ton
5 tons of advanced machine parts at 67,500 cr/ton
10 tons of advanced manufactured goods at 75,000 cr/ton
35 tons of advanced weapons at 97,500 cr/ton
10 tons of advanced vehicles at 126,000cr/ton
1 ton of cybernetics at 212,500 cr/ton
20 tons of live animals at 7,000cr/ton
10 tons of luxury consummables at 5000 cr/ton 25%
3 tons of luxury goods at 150,000 cr/ton
35 tons of medical supplies at 40,000 cr/ton
6 tons of pharmaceuticals at 55,000 cr/ton
25 tons of robots at 340,000 cr/ton
30 tons of spices at 4,500 cr/ton
30 tons of wood at 400 cr/ton
60 tons of vehicles at 13,500 cr/ton

<<<Would you like to carry out transaction? Y/N>>>

samduke
2015-05-21, 05:28 AM
Krysta disenguadges her terminal without placing an order, turns to the person at the desk and files the necessary document for departure clearance, indicating travel to Moryon then to Taran 4 then to Stormfare. When done at the office Krysta will go back to the ship to find the crew and have everyone begin loading supplies, and any cargo Mr. Ping manages to procure.

ocato
2015-05-21, 09:04 AM
Ping selects 30 tons of basic electronics, 18 tons of live animals, and arranges for Freight shipment A65-S77-V48652B-Z188, Contents: 15 tons of live plants to be loaded aboard the Excalibur, leaving 1 ton of cargo space unused.

This should suffice, Ping thinks to himself, satisfied at his ability to fill the hold as per the captain's orders. He smiles a small, controlled smile to himself and stands up, returning to the hallway of the ship and making his way towards one of the communal living areas. He sets chairs out and creates a small placard with each crew-members name to be set in front of each seat. Once the captain is aboard, Ping thinks to himself, Everything will be prepared for her to call a crew member meeting. He hums to himself softly as he works, excited at the prospect of finally returning to space travel.

Mordaenor
2015-05-21, 12:28 PM
Blaze Davidson arrived dockside and took in the vessel. Excalibur III. A pretty loft name for, what he understood, would be a cargo freighter. Still she was a ship to behold, top condition. But a starship's exterior never held that much interest for Blaze. He was an engineer, and it was the guts of the ship that impressed him, or didn't.

The servos in his prosthetic legs made a soft but audible whirring as he hobbled through the ship's hatch and down to the engine room. Let's see what you got unda the hood, eh? In the Navy, he'd always been part of a team. He'd always made sure he was the lynchpin of that team, but still he'd never been the entire Engineering department before. Then again, there was a significant difference between a freighter and a frigate. Still, a stahshep is a stahshep.

Once arriving in Engineering, Blaze will run a full systems diagnostic.

Lacco
2015-05-21, 01:52 PM
. Blaze .

The diagnostic came to full stop. The results were satisfactory.

>>>Reactor online. Check complete. 98% performance. Fully operational.<<<

>>>Sensors online. Check complete. Fully operational.<<<

>>>Jump drive online. Check complete. 100% performance. Fully operational.<<<

>>>Manuever drive online. Check complete. 100% performance. Fully operational.<<<

>>>Life support online. Check complete. Oxygen at nominal level. Fully operational.<<<

>>>Ship computer online. Check complete. 100% performance. Fully operational.<<<

>>>All systems nominal<<<

He studied the results - only the reactor output was 2% lower than expected.

It's a routine task - to spot the problematic component roll 2d6 + INT modifier + skill (Engineer - power supply) +2 (for "routine" task).
To exchange the part roll 2d6 + INT modifier + skill (this time it will be Mechanic) +4 (it's an easy repair).

In Traveller the basic roll is 2d6 + attribute modifier + skill + situational modifiers. You try to beat 8.

Mordaenor
2015-05-21, 02:19 PM
No ship Blaze was running was going to settle for 2% under par on its maiden voyage. Not ef I have anythin' ta say about et. Finding the faulty component was easy, a small valve in the reactor intake line was a little corroded. Replacing it proved more difficult. Going to the storage closet, Blaze found himself confronted with just a handful of replacements, all of them in similar states corrosion. Go fegure. Well, I guess we're off on a shopping trep.

Blaze exited the Excalibur, and made his way to the dockside supply shop, hoping that the ships stores were not indicative of the what he would find.

samduke
2015-05-21, 05:51 PM
Krysta walks over to the ship dock accesses the passenger terminal and puts out the first boarding call for the following persons in route to Stormfare.

Staterooms
Stella Flemming, 24, model
Ian Gordon, 29, photographer
Nistaj Wiazanka, 35, clothes designer
Mirjam Mirjang, 21, heiress

Low Passage
1 Manuel Cordoba, 55, hotel employee
2 Iris Diburba, 31, telemarketer
3 Steve Imko, 26, security engineer
4 Paul M. Dib, 22, marketing team leader
5 Wilson Orban Kicsilany, 39, assistant
6 Mike Walker, 39, navy retiree
7 Debra Walker, 37, navy retiree

70Cr set aside for lotto drawing at the end of voyage to Stormfare

galenbd
2015-05-21, 07:16 PM
Now that Ping has wandered off, Martin looks up at Magnus and asks,"Things appear to be going well here, everyone out looking for cargo. I've a mind to do some bar hopping to see if I can dredge up something useful. Care to join me?"

JNAProductions
2015-05-21, 07:19 PM
Haven't had a good drink in eight years. Of course you can count me in. Know any of the local flavor?

Lacco
2015-05-22, 12:29 PM
. Blaze .

Blaze stepped out from engineering and went through the ship. While walking to the exit, he heard the common area, he noticed that the small displays on staterooms changed - before that they showed only the room numbers, now they stated also names.

He continued, climbing hatch to the upper deck he came near the common area - he thought he heard a soft humming - and saw Ping rearranging the chairs and noticed also the captain entering the ship.

If you want help with haggling... or inform the captain about the state of the ship and why the power fluctuations are there...if not or they join you:

The air outside was hot - but not in the dry desert unpleasant way he remembered from the planet he was stranded on. He shaded his eyes from sun and continued to the dockside shop.

The technician was half-sleeping there. When Blaze entered, he shaked his head and looked at him with weary eyes.

What will it be, boss...?

I expect the valve to cost from [roll0]x50Cr. If you want to negotiate the price, you will have to try it at the bazaar/used parts shop. Also, 1 ton of spare parts for repairs costs 10,000 Cr, negotiable through broker with modifiers as per "Advanced machine parts".

. Krysta .
Krysta saw that two of the passengers already accepted the boarding call. Now she only has to set a second one when they are ready to receive them.

Since there are quite many ships providing the service, their first travel should be as good as possible - word-of-mouth advertising is still the strongest one.

Krysta decided it was time to check her crew and returned to the ship. Entering it, she saw Ping and Blaze in the common area. Ping seemed satisfied with himself, while Blaze seemed a bit angry.

. Martin and Magnus .

According to the terminal at the dock, spaceport offered a selection of bars at the arcade and two, a bit less "formal" near the docks.

The two seedy bars were within walking distance. Arcade was reachable through the magnetic train, within 5 minutes.

Let me know where you want to go. Within spaceport the train is for free.

. Ping .

Ping watched by one eye the terminal in the common area. The transaction was carried out and he was able to arrange the estimated time of arrival of the cargo within 1 hour for each shipment, with freigh shipment coming first and live animals last.

At the exact moment he finished arranging the chairs, a hatch opened and the head of the engineer - Blaze - he quickly summons the name from his memory - popped out. A second later, the main door opened and captain entered the ship.

Perfect timing.

samduke
2015-05-22, 12:56 PM
before disengauging from the passenger terminal Krysta puts an automatic repeat call for the passenger list set to repeat every 10 minutes until they arrive and check in.

Turning from the passenger terminal Krysta notices that a table and chairs have been arranged in the mess each with names on cards

Whats the purpose for this Mr. Ping, do we have cargo arriving to load? Mr. Davidson good to see you found the engines, noticing the parts in his hands if there a problem with something back there go ahead a get extras of what ever you think we might need within reason remember we only have so much free space.

Mordaenor
2015-05-22, 01:03 PM
. Blaze .

Blaze stepped out from engineering and went through the ship. While walking to the exit, he heard the common area, he noticed that the small displays on staterooms changed - before that they showed only the room numbers, now they stated also names.

He continued, climbing hatch to the upper deck he came near the common area - he thought he heard a soft humming - and saw Ping rearranging the chairs and noticed also the captain entering the ship.

Blaze paused to address the Captain. Engineer Blaze Davidson, reporten' for duty, Cap'n. I thought you should know I ran a preflight check on the shep's systems. The reactah's runnin' a bet below where I'd like, but they left us with a bunch of substandahd replacement pahts. I'm headin' out to get replacements now, I'll be back in a jeffy.

JNAProductions
2015-05-22, 04:52 PM
Hm... Magnus ponders which bar to visit. Well, he says, patting the hilt of his cutlass, I say we head to one of them in walking distance, and just deal with anyone that bothers us.

galenbd
2015-05-22, 09:04 PM
Martin shrugs, scanning the streets outside their ship's berth. "Fine with me. How about we get one drink? When we finish that we try the other one?"

Lacco
2015-05-23, 02:29 AM
. Martin and Magnus .

The nearest bar was Targo's. From the outside it looked like old cargo warehouse - a small one - with large sign. A tired street worker stood on its corner.

The bar smelled. Despite the fact that sun was still up, it was packed with dock workers, who were mostly here to drink - drink much, drink fast. In the back there were some dock workers playing cards and few patrons dressed in navy uniforms, drinking heavily.

When they entered, each pair of eyes in the room looked at them. In few seconds, the buzz of voices returned to the previous volume.

The barman was a man in his fourties, large and fat. He had a distinct tatoo on the whole right side of his face, which looked like a barcode.
He was cleaning a glass with a dirty rag.

JNAProductions
2015-05-23, 09:15 AM
Right, next bar. Any objections, Martin?

ocato
2015-05-23, 12:05 PM
Ping bows before Krysta, Cargo is purchased and will be loaded within the hour, Captain. I took the liberty of arranging the mess for an all hands meeting prior to launch so that you may address the crew. I apologize if that was presumptuous of me. Ping forces a brief, repentant smile, I believe the rest of the crew is exploring the local color. I am happy to stay behind and oversee the cargo and passengers prior to take off if it is your desire to join them.

samduke
2015-05-23, 05:58 PM
Ping bows before Krysta, Cargo is purchased and will be loaded within the hour, Captain. I took the liberty of arranging the mess for an all hands meeting prior to launch so that you may address the crew. I apologize if that was presumptuous of me. Ping forces a brief, repentant smile, I believe the rest of the crew is exploring the local color. I am happy to stay behind and oversee the cargo and passengers prior to take off if it is your desire to join them.

a meeting about what, their duties well they should know what they signed on for, little need for me to tell them how to do it, however if you feel a pep talk is in order then so be it, off exploring ehh.. I need to get going on the departure check list

galenbd
2015-05-23, 08:13 PM
Martin kinda shrugs at Magnus' suggestion, "Sure if you want. Any reason to think it will be better?"

Mordaenor
2015-05-23, 09:01 PM
Blaze arrives at the dockside shop. The shopkeeper looks up, a grizzled older woman, with a few fingers missing on one hand. Probably a former spacefarer, judging from the wall behind her. It's adorned with photos of her younger self in front of all manner of spacecraft, a testimony to a life lived among the stars.

Her shop is well organized, and Blaze has little trouble locating the spare components he needs. "You offer any descounts for buyin' en bulk? I've got quite a brand new ship with quite a few less than new replacement components that themselves need replacin'.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2015-05-23, 09:46 PM
Martin kinda shrugs at Magnus' suggestion, "Sure if you want. Any reason to think it will be better?"

Ah hell. probably not, no. Might as well grab a brew here. Magnus strides in, finding a seat at the bar. Gimme something that'll burn on the way down.

samduke
2015-05-24, 05:47 AM
Krysta makes her way to the bridge to see how the computer is getting on with the flight checks

Launch status check
Computer mode to active stby
APU----------------------------RUNNING
TRANSPONDER ----------------EX3STRM1
STROBE LIGHTS ---------------ON
RUNNING LIGHTS--------------ON
PAYLOAD------------------------LOADING
PASSENGERS--------------------LOADING
TAKEOFF CLEARENCE----------WAITING

then opens the ships comms to the communicator channel , [roll0] Attention crew of Excalibur 3, this is your boarding call and we will have a meeting in the lounge in 45min.. that is all after that anouncemnt she will head out to supervise loading of passengers and cargo

Lacco
2015-05-25, 01:51 AM
. Blaze .

Woman sizes up Blaze, notices the smears on his jumpsuit and answers.
We sell spare parts - the usual set, 11,000 Credits for one set - it's about ton, but it covers basic maintenance, as well as some after-fight fixes and juryrigging. Valves, lubricants, relays, spare boards... got 8 tons of that stuff. You buying?

. Magnus and Martin .

The barman looks Magnus up and down and responds rather slowly. We got only things that burn on the way down and beer. No fancy stuff here. And he handles you two shots. That'll be 2 credits.

A man next to Martin looks at him. He looks cleaner than the others, though when he smiles, you see that he has blackened teeth. Nice clothes. What's bringing you two here between these mongrels?

Some of the workers stir a bit, since he said that quite loud.

Suddenly their comms activate and release a message from the captain. Attention crew of Excalibur 3, this is your boarding call and we will have a meeting in the lounge in 45min.. that is all.

Black teeth lets out coarse laugh. Hmm... nice. You got yourselves a chick for a captain? Like to get commanded around?

. Krysta .

As she walks down the corridor, she sees a message on one of the terminals.

>>>To: Captain Krysta Hathaway of the Excalibur<<<
>>>From: Gallifrey Starport Dock Master Office<<<

>>>Your takeoff clearance has been pre-approved. If there are any changes to cargo or passenger list, please inform the starport authority. Any discrepancies may result in revoke of takeoff clearance. If not, place a request for takeoff when ready.

Gallifrey Starport thanks you for your bussiness.<<<

. Ping .

Captain left the meeting room. However, there was still work to do. According to the terminal, the passengers were already waiting and some of the cargo arrived.

When he came outside the ship, there was an elderly couple waiting at the boarding zone, as well as a stunningly beautiful young lady, man in rather colourful clothes, who reminded him of the exotic birds he saw once in a documentary, and a man talking to a personal communicator with the air of someone, who really wants to help you select your omniplastic windows.

There were also several large crates, about dozen suitcases and he noticed that a crew was just unloading several containers with cargo.

samduke
2015-05-25, 04:15 AM
*note this is jumping ahead but sould in theory get things rolling while I am out today..
after the passengers and cargo are loaded, the meeting from Krystas end will go something like this..
Hello all I have served with some of you, know some of you and recently met the rest of you... I hope our joint enterprise in this ship is a profitable one, each of you has a specialty that your good at, I trust that you will do it well, for the things that your not so good at, get with some of the others maybe they can give you some training.
I am not much on formalities so if you wish your first name to be used speak up otherwise I will refer to you by your last as I have up until now. Mr. Ping has got us some cargo and we have stops along the way most of this trip I hope will be uneventful, however be on your toes as there are always pirates out there.. if there are now questions of me? this meeting is over. Mr Ping get the passengers in their cabin, we are all but ready for liftoff..

Krysta will walk back to the bridge and check the computer again.

Launch status check
PAYLOAD------------------------LOADED
PASSENGERS--------------------LOADED
TAKEOFF CLEARENCE----------GAL103A

All hands departure stations

open comms [roll0] Excalibur to starport dock control - requesting pemission to depart
clear all moorings [roll1]

space deflector to full [roll2]

leaving port gates [roll3]

engineering 1/2 aft thrusters - Engineer (M drive) check

arm weapon systems [roll4]

clear spaceport [roll5]

depature course set [roll6]

inititate computer for jump [roll7]

engineering aft thrusters to maximum - Engineer (M drive) check

All hands prepare for jump to hyperspace

open intership comms [roll8] This is the captain for our passengers we are going for jump to hyperspace, we ask that you remain in your cabin areas during this time. thankyou

engineering divert power to the jump engines & engage jump engines - Engineer (J drive) check

*note I should be back to this tonight sometime

JNAProductions
2015-05-25, 09:56 AM
Magnus drops two credits on the bar, drains his shot in one go, and then turns to face Black Teeth. 'Course I do, so long as whoever's giving orders deserves my respect. Man, woman, alien-eh, who even cares. As for being here? Magnus clinks his empty glass against the table. Booze, my friend. Booze.

Lacco
2015-05-26, 07:28 AM
Magnus drops two credits on the bar, drains his shot in one go, and then turns to face Black Teeth. 'Course I do, so long as whoever's giving orders deserves my respect. Man, woman, alien-eh, who even cares. As for being here? Magnus clinks his empty glass against the table. Booze, my friend. Booze.

Black Teeth smiles, showing all contents of his mouth. He turns to the barman Another round for my new friends, Garck. He snaps his fingers. You remind me of someone I knew. And I like you. he looks around, noticing no one listens, leans a bit forward and whispers So...care to make some money?

galenbd
2015-05-26, 08:46 AM
Martin had been mostly ignoring the man with the black teeth. He had been inclined to look for an opportunity, but with the ship lifting so quickly, he had set the plan aside. Then the man mentioned money.

Martin turned back to him and asked, "Sure, but you know we got to go. Can you close the deal fast?"

Mordaenor
2015-05-26, 10:24 AM
The pricing seemed just a tad on the high side, and in another time and place he might try and bargain the shopkeep down a bit, but Blaze was pressed for time, and he needed these parts. Blaze was not going to lift off with a cargo hold of substandard parts. Then he had an idea.

"I'll take one ton of the spares off ya hands for an even 10K and I'll offer you the pahts I'm replacin' in the bahgain. Now they're no good as is, but I guarantee there's good metal in 'em and you could sell them for scrap, which oughta more than make up for the difference. What do ya say?

ocato
2015-05-26, 11:07 AM
Ping rushes out to greet the passengers, bowing slightly as he approaches. Welcome! Welcome! Please excuse my tardiness, I was just ensuring that all of our arrangements had been made! Please, come aboard and welcome to the Excalibur! Ping turns towards the hangar workers and speaks to them in a short, sharp staccato of chinese, setting them to the task of loading the cargo and baggage regardless of whether they're obligated to or not.

With that, he turns back to the passengers, his face transforming flawlessly from scowl to kindness. As you may already know, Excalibur is named after a magical sword from old Earth legend. In the old story, the sword was the enchanted by a lake-woman to give its bearer command over all of Europe. Much like the fabled sword, being in the presence of this ship is synonymous with decadence! We look forward to showing each of our guests the opulence of old Earth royalty! Please step this way!

Ping proceeds to show the passengers to their staterooms and ensures that they are properly prepared for takeoff.

samduke
2015-05-26, 03:10 PM
*Meeting
Hello all I am Krysta Hathaway, appointed ships captain, and pilot, on board Excalibur is my personal boat the firefly, I am an okay pilot with both and skills that go along with. and I know how to use this, tapping her laser pistol sidearm in it's holster.

now lets see who is next, ahh yes Mr. Ping why not you after all this was more or less your idea.
*after meeting see above for liftoff...

ocato
2015-05-27, 08:30 AM
*meeting

I am Xialong Ping, but you may refer to me by my first name, Ping. I am a skilled Broker and Steward, meaning that my specialized role aboard the ship will mostly pertain to the organization and optimization of our cargo and passengers. I am also an adept negotiator and information broker, with modest ability with a ship's communication array. I am not trained for combat, but I trust that careful words and wise action can prevent any unnecessary shedding of blood.

JNAProductions
2015-05-27, 09:39 AM
*meeting

Heh. And when that fails, you can rely on me. Former Lance Sergeant Anderson Magnus. I know my way around rifles, and I'm a damned expert at using a sword-should be useful on board a ship, if it comes to fighting here. Outside that, I got some sensors and gunnery experience, so I'll be useful on board the ship there.

Mordaenor
2015-05-27, 10:12 AM
*Dockside Shop*
Blaze concludes his business with the shopkeep, who agrees to arrange with the harbor crew to transport the parts to the ship before lift off. He then hurries his way back to the Excalibur.

*Meeting*
Blaze enters the room, but does not take a seat. Instead he reaches over, flipping a switch on his prosthetic legs. The legs immediately collapse and fold on themselves, creating a makeshift chair of their own.

He nods as the group is making their introductions.
Blaze Davedson. I'll be servin' as your engineerin' depahtment. Nevah had much skill with a fireahm, but if yours breaks down, I can have et workin' again in a jeffy. And if ya find yaself gettin' bored durin' a jump, come on down ta engineeren'. I've got a deck of cahds and a set a dice, and I'm always up for a lettle game o' chance.

Lacco
2015-05-28, 02:45 AM
Martin and Magnus

The man took a package from his coat. It was a small package, circular, about 10 cm (4 inches) in diameter, a bit thick. The packaging seemed to be a bit worn.

The man smiled. I like when the deals are closed fast. Get this to Stormfare. There's a bar there at the spaceport called Eye of the Storm. Just ask the bartender for fresh-squeezed galakki juice - he'll know what to do. And here he handed you about 500 Cr. You'll get triple if you get it there within 2 months unopened.

Ping *In front of the ship*

The high-passage customers were pleased with the expected journey. Except for mr. Gordon, not one of them had a space journey behind them, so they were positively thrilled by the experience. They looked over the ship, asked lot of curious questions, listened to the safety rules...

There was even a comment, from miss Mirjang about the clean spaces - she was worried that everything will be rusty at the ship, since her father tried to persuade her not to go with it and take a family yacht.

The only negative experience was the space of the rooms, which made mr. Wiazanka complain to Ping. He didn't like the small stateroom and he didn't like that he had to store most of his clothes in the carto storage, where he had no proper access to them at any time.

The low-berth customers seemed a bit nervous, but Ping successfully calmed them down with several stories about the fabled King of the Europe. The anecdote with the unicorn and maiden made mr. Walker laugh so hard, they had to wait until he calmed down to put him into cryopod.

After he inspected the last cryopod, he looked at the chronograph. All according to the plan. He rushed to the meeting.

I took your joke and expanded it a bit. Hope you don't mind. If you want to try to calm mr. Wiazanka, please IC and roll for his reaction according to skill you use (based on your argument, I will decide the modifier).

Otherwise, everything is in order for now. We'll continue after the meeting.

Blaze *Dockside Shop*

The shopkeeper thought about the deal. Let me see those parts you talk about.

She inspected them thoroughly. Yes, I'll take these as part of the payment - so, it's 10K and parts for one ton of spare parts. Give me the dock number and I'll send them right away - you can go with the truck and oversee the boarding. She seemed rather pleased with the bargain.

In few minutes, he was at Excalibur with the spare parts, loading crates into the last piece of empty cargo space. Luckily, it was just near the engineering room. He rushed to the meeting.

As for your task as the engineer - during the jump travel you have to oversee and divert enough power to the jump drive. It's an average (+0) Engineer (jump drive) check. It will affect the jump precision. (

*Meeting*

After Blaze's introduction the people at the table fell silent, waiting for Martin to introduce himself.

If everyone agrees, we'll move to the flying to space part... :smallbiggrin:

samduke
2015-05-28, 07:02 AM
* no issues here..and I will just copy this from above to make it easier*
*after the meeting

Krysta will walk back to the bridge and check the computer again.

Launch status check
PAYLOAD------------------------LOADED
PASSENGERS--------------------LOADED
TAKEOFF CLEARENCE----------GAL103A

All hands departure stations

open comms (2d6+3)[6] Excalibur to starport dock control - requesting pemission to depart
clear all moorings (2d6+8)[17]

space deflector to full (2d6+7)[16]

leaving port gates (2d6+7)[16]

engineering 1/2 aft thrusters - Engineer (M drive) check

arm weapon systems (2d6+7)[15]

clear spaceport (2d6+7)[14]

depature course set (2d6+3)[10]

inititate computer for jump (2d6+5)[15]

engineering aft thrusters to maximum - Engineer (M drive) check

open intership comms (2d6+3)[10] This is the captain for our passengers we are going for jump to hyperspace, we ask that you remain in your cabin areas during this time. thankyou

engineering divert power to the jump engines & engage jump engines - Engineer (J drive) check

JNAProductions
2015-05-28, 09:08 AM
*meeting

Oh, also, I got this. Magnus puts the package he received from the black-toothed man on the table. No idea what it is, but the idiot payed me 500 cr up front before I even had time to say yes. Pretty sure we should end up spacing it or turning it in, whichever's easier.

ocato
2015-05-28, 10:39 AM
Meeting
Ping looks to the small item with considerable dismay. I find this errand suspicious. We have no idea what you have made us accessories to. I believe that our best course of action is not to open the object-- ignorance may save us from legal recourse.

Stewarding
Ping takes a minute to calm the upset passenger. Sir, I understand that our staterooms are modest in size, but please understand that they come with large communal areas wherein most of your entertainment will take place. While you are free to retire to your stateroom at your leisure, the games, stories, and performances that you will enjoy will largely keep you out of your room and amongst the finery. If that is unsatisfactory, I would be more than happy to accommodate you with any additional benefit that is within my power to grant.

[roll0]

Upon hearing the Captain's announcement, Ping addresses the passengers. Ladies and Gentlemen, if you will please retire to your cabins. The Captain has indicated that we're preparing to jump. You will be free to move about in a few minutes. Thank you.

Mordaenor
2015-05-28, 03:25 PM
Following the meeting, Blaze hobbles back the Engine room, makes quick work replacing that corroded Reactor valve. He then sets about prepping the Jump engines. The task is made slightly more complicated by the need to ALSO keep tabs on the Sub-light engines as the ship makes its way out port. In the Navy, there'd have been at least two people on this task, one on the Jump Drive, one on the Subs. Here, it was just him. "I'll have ta make a note to see ef any o' my crewmates have any engine experience. No mattah, they practically run themselves. There's a hint of regret in his voice about that fact.

Subs [roll0] J-Drive [roll1]

Engene room ta bridge, we're good ta go on your mahk.

samduke
2015-06-01, 05:52 AM
*meeting
Oh, also, I got this. Magnus puts the package he received from the black-toothed man on the table. No idea what it is, but the idiot payed me 500 cr up front before I even had time to say yes. Pretty sure we should end up spacing it or turning it in, whichever's easier.
if this is actually brought up during the meeting then ..
Krsta being ex military and a first time captain looks blinkingly in disbelief at this package, what have you brought onboard my ship! , get rid of that pointing to the package before it is discovered by the port scanners that will scan us as we depart

JNAProductions
2015-06-01, 07:56 AM
*Meeting

Alright, alright. I'll get rid of it. Magnus heads out of the ship and tosses the package directly beneath the Excalibur's thrusters, where it'll be incinerated by the lift-off.

samduke
2015-06-01, 12:42 PM
*Meeting

Alright, alright. I'll get rid of it. Magnus heads out of the ship and tosses the package directly beneath the Excalibur's thrusters, where it'll be incinerated by the lift-off.

Krysta seeing this whips about hurries out to where the package was left near the engines picks it up goes to the farthest point possible away from Excalibur addresses the package to the police - cleans all print traces as she deposits it into a mail box then hurries back to the ship...

galenbd
2015-06-01, 09:42 PM
*Meeting*
"I'm Martin. I'm fairly handy with a pistol. I'm fairly good with computers and tend to run with rough sorts."

When Magnus abandons the package, Martin watches bemused, but doesn't interfere. Then Krysta ships it off to the authorities. Again he just watches. Now I know how the winds are blowing.

Lacco
2015-06-02, 07:19 AM
Liftoff

Please, read your paragraph. If you need an edit (want to do something else), let me know - I took what you wrote me and tried to fit it in.

As I wrote before, during the week-long travel, each of you may have a short encounter. I will post these latest tomorrow, so if you want to "skip" yours, write me a PM/write to OOC thread. It's not mandatory and mostly for the atmosphere.

After the meeting was done and the package has been dealth with, Krysta went to the cockpit to prepare for the launch.

This was her first launch with Excalibur... first launch with something heavier than Firefly since Navy. She looked forward to the experience.

Seating herself and putting on the safety belt, she checked all the systems with experienced eye. Everything was prepared. She opened the communication channel to the dock control - there was a lot of noise, so she had to repeat the request for departure twice. However, in few minutes she heard the words she wanted to hear.

>>> Dock control to Excalibur. Your launch permit has been approved. You are good to go, navigate through sector C. Good travels! <<<

She opened the communication channel to the crew.
This is your captain. All hands to departure stations.

She pushed the controls to clear all moorings, leaving port gates set the deflector to full and called the engineering.

Blaze, 1/2 power to the aft thrusters. We take off.

The ship started to glide away from the starport and as soon as she cleared the ports, she switched on the weapon systems.

With the gentle command from her captain, the ship gracefully cleared the spaceport, moving through the sector C to the free space. She checked the sensors for possible collision and noticed the sector was free.

She quickly punched in the course for departure - shortest way out of the 100 diameter. Checking the way and quickly calculating it gave her about 5 hours to reach the point where they can jump without any additional risk - and the way was clear. Again she opened the comm to Blaze. Blaze, give me full power to the aft thrusters. Then she inititated the computer for jump and began plotting the jump to Moryon.

The calculations were ready long before they reached the calculated jump point. Suddenly, the door to cockpit opened and in came Ping with a plate full of food. He bowed a little, not wanting to disturb the captain. She quickly ate what he prepared, noticing that it was a spartan, but filling and - compared to navy food quite tasty - meal.

Navigating skillfully, she stopped the ship at the correct position. She checked the chronograph - her calculations were correct. 298 minutes and a half.

Satisfied, she switched the comm to the crew comm system. All hands prepare for jump to hyperspace

She took a deep breath, again switched to the internal comm system and addressed the passengers. This is the captain. For our passengers, we are going for jump to hyperspace. We ask that you remain in your cabin areas during this time. Thank you.

And another one - this time only to engineering. Engineering divert power to the jump engines & engage jump engines. She had to count on Blaze, but since she flew with him several times, she knew he was a capable member of crew.

There was a short pause, followed by crackle and Blaze's voice. Engene room ta bridge, we're good ta go on your mahk.

This was the moment she waited for. She watched the power levels, noticed a short drop in the power just before the jump - however, it was too late to cancel the jump, so she braced herself...

...the small moment of nausea, as the ship jumps - the feeling of sudden movement combined with perfect stillness...

...and they are in hyperspace.

And luckily, according to the system, the jump was successful and the power drop did not cause any trouble.

Jump roll was made in the GM dice roll zone - succeeded (9)

Entering the engineering, Blaze felt finally at home. The reactor valve was easy to replace and he was done with it in few minutes. He checked the power supply - and everything seemed fine.

No time to spare, he hobbled to the engine room, to prepare the engines.

At first he went to the sub-light engine, doing a check of its performance. Satisfied with the result, he turned the power on full, just in time to hear the captain's voice over the intercomm.

Blaze, 1/2 power to the aft thrusters. We take off.

He smiled and let his skills, honed by years in the Navy, do the magic. His finges danced on the control panel and in less than half minute, the engine whirred and he heard a loud metallic sound, signalling that the moorings were released and the ship started to move slowly away from the starport, towards the nearest jump point.

Since he flew with the captain few years ago, he waited patiently for second order.

Blaze, give me full power to the aft thrusters.[/B]

He was ready, smiling he increased the power output. He listened for a while, knowing that it will take some time until they reach the jump point, checking for sounds that would indicate trouble - but the engine just whirred and for his ears it was like purring of a satisfied cat.

The jump engines were only few steps away and he started towards them as soon as he was sure everything was in order.

Jump engines were still cold, no power diverted towards them. He double-checked everything again, knowing that each misjump was a matter of life or death. He went through the whole start-up procedure and it took him several hours.

Another announcement sounded on the intercom - call to dinner came, this time from Ping. Just to be sure he had time, he checked the terminal for ship course. He noticed that he had only 20 minutes to prepare for jump.

His stomach loudly protested, however his task was to stay there. He went to the power plant, starting to lower the power outputs to the less important systems. The waiting was the worst part. Finally, tired, he heard captain again.

He knew what to do. Almost happily, he started to divert all reserve energy to the jump engine. Lamps in the engineering flashed a bit, but overall this ship handled it better than some he had worked on.

Engineering divert power to the jump engines & engage jump engines.

He was, again, ready for the command.

Engene room ta bridge, we're good ta go on your mahk.

He pushed the start button, diverting all the energy...

...the small moment of nausea, as the ship jumps - the feeling of sudden movement combined with perfect stillness...

...and they were in hyperspace.

He noticed he stopped to breath for a moment and took a deep breath. And he felt his stomach gurgle.

Martin waited for all the others to leave the meeting room and then took his hand computer and connected to the ship's computer. He was just browsing the cargo list, when he heard captain's voice.

He was just wondering, what his departure station is, when he heard a loud metallic sound - the moorings, he recalled. His travels were always on the passenger side, but this sound always came with the feeling that he is leaving the "ground" - and ventures into the void of the space.

He decided it will be best to bury himself under the work and continued with his browsing. He noticed that Magnus left his cabin several times, going on a walk through the deck. In a while he also noticed Ping, returning from the passenger common area and moving around the crew common area, preparing a dinner - a spartan one for the crew and a lavish one for the guests in staterooms. He suddenly felt a bit hungry.

He waited for Ping to finish the meal. When the call for dinner came, he was already sitting at the table - he noticed that Magnus came from his room, his weapons at hand. A thought crossed Martin's mind... everyone is taking their role, be it security officer or steward, quite seriously. What is my role...?

He chatted with Magnus during dinner. Noticed that the engineer and captain remained at their posts and Ping had his dinner only after he served it to the guests.

When he was finished with his meal, he heard captain's voice came out of his personal comm. All hands prepare for jump to hyperspace He moved to his stateroom, fixing his computer on his desk, just to be sure. The statement was shortly followed by another one. This is the captain. For our passengers, we are going for jump to hyperspace. We ask that you remain in your cabin areas during this time. Thank you.

And suddenly it came...

With the package out of way, Magnus went to his room, to do his traditional round of weapon maintenance. Dull blade and dirty sidearm spell death to its user. he remembered the saying his instructor in Marine Corps used to repeat every evening, when ordered them to clean and maintain their weapons.

As he was unpacking his cleaning materials, he heard the captain over the intercomm.
He smiled. He was at his station at all times. There was a loud metallic sound, signalling that the moorings were released and the ship started to move slowly away from the starport, towards the nearest jump point. They were on their way - it was a pleasant sensation of adrenaline from new travel. It quickly subsided to a thought that crossed his mind. He will have to sleep and he can not be everywhere at once...well, he'll sort it out in the hyperspace. No need to do it now. There is work to do.

With skilled moves, he oiled the blade, checked the guns and amused himself by watching the video feed from the cameras. Being security officer had its privileges - such as possibility to view all camera feeds from the public areas.

Each hour he went for a walk. Patrolling the halls - like the old times.

When he heard the call for dinner, he was in his stateroom. He slowly raised from bed and moved towards the common area. The dinner was kinda bland and spartan, but he was used to it - he was a Marine, after all. He chatted with Martin a bit - the only member of crew who ate with him at the table. Ping was moving around the ship, trying to satisfy every whim of passengers and at the same time feeding the crew, and captain and the engineer - well, they had their jobs.

Again, captain's voice came out of his personal comm. All hands prepare for jump to hyperspace

He finished his dinner and went to his stateroom. On his way he heard another announcement - this time public.

This is the captain. For our passengers, we are going for jump to hyperspace. We ask that you remain in your cabin areas during this time. Thank you.

He grinned. And braced. He disliked the jumps - it was something that couldn't be controlled. But - he was a marine, so he waited patiently.

And suddenly it came...

*Stewarding*

Mr. Wiazanka listened to Ping and then a smile flashed on his face.

Very well, I will be looking forward to the entertainment. I assumed we will be forced to stay at the staterooms for whole journey - that would be unbearable. And now, let me change into something more...appropriate for the takeoff...we will be taking off soon, correct? Are there any...safety instructions?

After a small chat, the man retired into his stateroom, as did all other passengers. He went to "store" their low berth passengers.

When finished, Ping rushed to the meeting.

*After the meeting*

The work of steward never ends. He had already prepared a menu for the evening and went to the passenger area to take their orders. He was near the common area when he heard the captain's voice over his comm.

There was a loud metallic sound, signalling that the moorings were released and the ship started to move slowly away from the starport, towards the nearest jump point. The travel has begun. But he had no time to spare.

He knocked at every stateroom, checking whether everything is allright.

He helped mr. Wiazanka choose the most suitable dinner outfit for space.
He patiently and several times explained to mr. Gordon that crew area is out of limits for passengers and he has to ask the captain before he takes any pictures there.
He calmed down miss Flemming, who just read an aritcle about the misjumps.
And he listened to the long list of requirements from miss Mirjang, who was obviously travelling for the first time without an entourage.

And all the time he took notes to get to know the passengers better.

He went back to the crew area, with a list of meals and started to prepare them. He noticed Martin sitting with his computer at one of the tables.

It was time for dinner. He sounded the dinner call and quickly served the crew their meals, bringing the meal to the captain.

And then he went to the passenger area.

While he was in the middle of his impression of Xzarg the Sad Trader, he heard captain's voice out of his personal comm. All hands prepare for jump to hyperspace

He quickly wrapped up the story, getting a short applause, just in time for another announcement.

This is the captain. For our passengers, we are going for jump to hyperspace. We ask that you remain in your cabin areas during this time. Thank you.

The passengers suddenly looked a bit nervous. He quickly and effectively persuaded them to oblige and on the way again calmed down miss Fleming.

He was just on his way with the dishes, when it happened...

samduke
2015-06-03, 07:26 PM
Krysta knowing that she will need a suitable pilot for while she is asleep as well as a backup pilot for firefly, will take the opportunity to start training Martin on the functions, controls & overall ship operations of the Firefly & Excalibur

Training theory and instruction
INT [roll0]
EDU [roll1]
SOC [roll2]

galenbd
2015-06-04, 06:51 PM
When Krysta came around to Martin, he was still perusing the computer system, but turned to give her all of his attention. He suggestion was welcome and he readily agreed, "That sounds great. I've got a reasonable understanding of the ship's computer. Since we're in hyperspace, I imagine the training will primarily be simulation based, but we could slave the actual controls to the simulator."

Lacco
2015-06-09, 07:24 AM
After approximately 160 hours (8 hours left) in hyperspace:

After approximately 160 hours in Hyperspace:

Krysta felt a bit tired. 8 hours at the helm followed by 8 hours of training Martin took a tax on her. But he was showing promise.

She yawned. He replaced her at the helm. She felt confident - the automatic systems were running the show and he only needed to oversee the power levels and possible warnings - and up until now it was quite uneventful voyage. Some card games, Ping doing the evening shows - she only had to present her once, to ensure the photographer that she'll let him take pictures of the ship insides as soon as they are out of hyperspace.

Suddenly she stopped, hearing voices from next corridor. Whispering. The voices belonged to man and a woman. She smiled to herself - maybe a romance on board?

Just curious whether it is an affair between one of her crew and passenger, she moved slowly forward.

Man's voice... ...we will need to move fast. Everything is in place. They will be waiting for us - and it will transmit the signal as soon as we are out of hyperspace. It will be a good catch - it's perfectly new.

Now she was sure it was no one of her crew - she knew their voices. She moved another step forward, just to the corner of the corridor, to hear better. She was quite sorry that she forgot her sidearm in her stateroom. Still, it's better to hear the plan...

Woman's voice... Yeah, but don't get too cocky - we have yet to catch the bird. And we need to do something with the guy in the back - he's always there. I planted the jammer device, but as soon as we are joined by... ... ...did you hear that?

She heard quick steps - and when she peeked, the corridor was empty.

I took the liberty of assuming she could forget her sidearm - otherwise it would be too easy :smallsmile:
So, it's 8 hours before you go out from the hyperspace, what are you going to do?

After approximately 6 days and 16 hours in Hyperspace:

Krysta just left the cockpit, leaving him alone. He worked hard each day - the training programme she put together on such short notice was quite broad, but he felt confident in his abilities. And piloting skills are always of good use. However, it made him choose to either put serious hole into his sleep or into his computer time.

He chose computer time, knowing that he'll have quite enough time for that during the shift at helm.

With the captain gone, he sat at the main computer terminal and started to check up on the status. As usual, the system performed up to the specs, however, there was a small amount of memory, used for a subroutine, he did not recognize.

He decided to check it.

It seemed harmless - just a countdown, showing hours until they leave hyperspace. That was of no worry - however, it was redundant for some reason - the ship's navi soft already calculated it and counted it down. For some reason, he did not like it.

He decided to go a bit deeper - and then he found the source of his irritation.

A hidden program, to be executed after the countdown, sending a signal with ship's exact coordinates. And attached encrypted packet of data. According to the datatrail, it's been inserted by the administrator, date has been scrambled. But you are the administrator...

It's 8 hours before you go out from cyberspace. Someone planted this into your ship's computer. What are you going to do?

Whistling an optimistic tune, Magnus left his stateroom. It was 8 hours until they get out of hyperspace and he was looking forward to some time at a planet. The trip has been boring up until now - the people behaved as they should, so no excitement for him... luckily?

Before he went, he checked the monitors - everything in order. Empty halls, empty corridors.

The crew lounge was empty. Main corridor was empty, however he heard some movement up ahead - someone with messed-up sleep cycle maybe? Or maybe something else? He noticed that some of the passengers got really "friendly"...

He chuckled and continued his patrol. Nothing on the main corridor. No report from the captain, except for the usual "all ok"- she looked quite tired since she pulled double shifts, training Martin.

He decided to check the storage - he noticed Ping moving towards the low berth room, most probably for the usual check of cryobeds and waved to him. As usually, he bowed slightly in return. Nice guy.

When he entered the storage, he immediately felt something strange. Something was amiss. He sniffed a faint trace of perfume - but the cargo hold was off-limits. And then he saw it - one of the passenger containers was opened...

Last 8 hours in the hyperspace. What do you do?

In a way, Ping was feeling great. He was tired and in need of really long shower and sleep, but there were only several hours left until they leave the hyperspace and then only the short trip to planet...

...but that has to wait. There are lots of things on his list and he needs to carry out all his tasks.

First task of the "day" - cryoberth check. Then the breakfast menu. And then...

...he went around a corner and saw Magnus waving to him. He bowed in return - almost a reflex - and continued. He had no time to spare. The last day must be perfect for the guests - he already listed in his mind the stories, songs and...

Suddenly he stopped.

First two berths - the Walkers, his mind immediately chimed in with the correct name - were thawing. The process has been started, not long ago, and couldn't be reversed. The display showed 20 minutes until full consciousness - but it wasn't supposed to start until they reach the planet!

8 hours before leaving hyperspace, Ping finds two berths, which started to thaw and will open in 20 minutes. For first half hour the people will be disoriented and weak, and if the process is not overseen, they may even die.
What does he do?

Lying on the cot in engineering, Blaze suddenly realized he really liked the trip. The machinery was in order, everything performed well. The card games were entertaining at least, if not profitable.

He chuckled, arranging the cards. Maybe there will be someone coming to play again, since they have last - he checked the ship chronograph - 8 hours in hyperspace, and few more to get to the planet, to win back their money.

It was really entertaining - the card games, the talking, even the model chick came to check out the ole' engineering, even if she preferred to watch the card games and just lurked around.

He sighed. It's more fun as the navy service was, however, he was the only person responsible for the engineering here...

...he stood up, ready to do the last check.

The power supply was all ok. As the jump drive. The performance of manuever drive was perfect.

And then came the comm array. Usually he left it out of the check, due to the fact it will be used only when they leave hyperspace, but it was hopefully the last check before they do so, so he wanted everything to be all right. And everything seemed all right, except for the strange device placed onto the comm array.

It looked like a jammer, however, something did not seem right about it. He sensed trouble.

I dunno about the card games results, that's why I issued such neutral statement.

However, there is some strange device planted near the comm array. What does Blaze do?

JNAProductions
2015-06-09, 07:56 AM
Magnus puts his hand on the hilt of his sword, mentally cursing himself for leaving his armor in his room. He stalks forward, keeping an eye out for any thief.

Mordaenor
2015-06-09, 08:12 AM
Some Gambling Rolls: [roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

Well, my friend, what are you about?

Blaze starts by running a diagnostic of the ship's comm system. See if that returns any obvious detectable anomalies. While that is running he presses a button his left leg, revealing a tool compartment. One advantage of clunky prosthetic legs, no need for a belt. He removes a screwdriver, and starts gingerly poking at the device.

Mechanic Check to Determine the exact nature of the device. [roll5] Most important: Is it made of Explodium?

Then he turns on his comm-link: "Davidson to Bridge. Cap'n would you meet me at the communecation array? I thenk you may want ta see this."

samduke
2015-06-09, 08:43 AM
Man's voice... ...we will need to move fast. Everything is in place. They will be waiting for us - and it will transmit the signal as soon as we are out of hyperspace. It will be a good catch - it's perfectly new.

Now she was sure it was no one of her crew - she knew their voices. She moved another step forward, just to the corner of the corridor, to hear better. She was quite sorry that she forgot her sidearm in her stateroom. Still, it's better to hear the plan...

Woman's voice... Yeah, but don't get too cocky - we have yet to catch the bird. And we need to do something with the guy in the back - he's always there. I planted the jammer device, but as soon as we are joined by... ... ...did you hear that?

She heard quick steps - and when she peeked, the corridor was empty.

Krysta is most concerned by what she has overheard and immediately goes to her stateroom and puts on her sidearm ensuring that its power cell is full.
heading out of her cabin to the bridge she sits at the main computer terminal and accesses the core directly, then accesses the internal sensors and starts searching for anything suspicious, then using military code, over the privet comms: Sgt from Cpt Code 1A secure & seal them now. Blaze, Code 2A, warm up the maneuver engines, I want max power the moment we enter real space.

Computer Difficult (–2). <comp +1, dm+2> [roll0] to find hidden program
Sensor Difficult (–2). <comp +1, dm+2> [roll1] to find anything unusual

ocato
2015-06-09, 09:13 AM
Ping stood agape at the cryoberth, equally confused and frustrated. The ship has no space to accommodate these people for another 2-3 weeks, this cannot stand! He says to himself before turning quickly on his heels and marching in the direction he last saw Blaze. That engineer can fix this, I am certain of it...

Lacco
2015-06-09, 10:53 AM
Ping

The corridor is empty so he hurries up to the engineering.

When he enters, he notices Blaze back there, he seems to be repairing one of the systems.

Magnus

It seems the room is empty - no sounds, no movement. The same doesn't go for the open containter - it seems someone was trying to find something quite fast. He notices one open space - from the outside it looks like clothes cabinet. From the inside, it is lined with metal and has several holders - some only few inches apart, some longer.

He notices a small metallic glint on the floor in front of the cabinet and picks it up.

It's a gyrojet magazine, used for snub pistols.

There's a small beep and his comm comes alive. Sgt from Cpt Code 1A secure & seal them now

Blaze

The diagnostics come to a halt quite fast - no obvious anomalies.

He pokes and prods around the device. It seems that it is made of three parts - one part is a booby trap, to prevent its removal. The second is a jammer, with a timer. And the third is a short-circuit device, which will fry the communications array. It is radio-operated.

Stepping back from the device, Blaze hears his comm come alive. Blaze, Code 2A, warm up the maneuver engines, I want max power the moment we enter real space.

He transmits his message to the captain, just in time - the door opens and Ping enters, looking a bit baffled for the first time you know him.

I'll use the first roll for gambling (9).
Gambling rolls for guests:
Mirjang [roll0]
Gordon [roll1]

Ping will most probably ask about cryoberths- once thawed out, it can not be set-up again without resupply - that means you can not "fix" it. And you can not stop the thawing process.

Krysta

With her sidearm on her hip she feels a bit better. When she enters the bridge, Martin already sits at the main computer, seems to be sifting through the data himself.

Krysta checks the internal cameras and heat sensors, sifting through the ship's areas. Blaze is in the engineering, Ping is hurrying through corridor to engineering, Magnus can not be seen, but there's someone in the cargo hold, Martin is here with her. She curses the privacy laws, which prevent her from placing cams inside the staterooms. She notices that there are two people according to the heat sensors within one staterooms - it's the photographer's room, Gordon is the name - she remembers. Model's room is empty and the heiress and fashion designer seem to occupy their rooms.

At that moment, Blaze's voice comes out from her comm. Davidson to Bridge. Cap'n would you meet me at the communecation array? I thenk you may want ta see this

samduke
2015-06-09, 12:31 PM
At that moment, Blaze's voice comes out from her comm. Davidson to Bridge. Cap'n would you meet me at the communecation array? I thenk you may want ta see this

with that Krysta turns to martin, stay put keep an eye on the sensors, I am going to code lock the bridge door and go see what blaze needs. and as she exits she turns and locks the door with a code & with that she hustles down to engineering

ocato
2015-06-09, 02:44 PM
Ping rushes towards engineering, calling out to Blaze as he rushes. Mr. Engineer! Mr. Engineer! We have an emer---

Ping stops at the entrance to engineering, suddenly aware of the rush of motion and calamity beginning to rise in the ship's atmosphere. Ping presses himself against the wall, allowing the passing of his fellow crewmembers before poking his head into engineering again.

Is... Is everything alright?

samduke
2015-06-09, 03:07 PM
*presuming krysta will walk hurried past Ping, Krysta will call to him as she passes.
Mr. Ping with me, and once out of any passenger earshot, help magus get the passengers into the cabins don't fuss don't let them know somethings up just get them in and lock them in.

Mordaenor
2015-06-09, 03:10 PM
Ping rushes towards engineering, calling out to Blaze as he rushes. Mr. Engineer! Mr. Engineer! We have an emer---

Ping stops at the entrance to engineering, suddenly aware of the rush of motion and calamity beginning to rise in the ship's atmosphere. Ping presses himself against the wall, allowing the passing of his fellow crewmembers before poking his head into engineering again.

Is... Is everything alright?

Blaze glances at Ping, then back to the Comm Array. He speaks in a slow, deliberate manner, like one who can face a calm wind, or a hurricane with the same cool clear head.

Ahh, Peng. No sah, I do not believe everythin' is alright. C'mon in here, take a look at this. That there is jammin' device or my legs is made o' plastic. Someone don't want us callin' out when we gets where we're goin', I think. I do believe we has ourselves a saboteur on this boat.

He turns to Ping, But I take it from the way you came in like a plasma stohm this ain't a social visit."

Lacco
2015-06-09, 04:01 PM
Krysta

Krysta hurries down the corridor, when suddenly one of the door open.

The model looks out and sees Krysta. She looks a bit startled for a moment, but immediately smiles.

Is everything in oder, captain?

If you want to lie to her, deception check. Or other check - depending on your approach.
And no, you don't run into Ping - you were at the opposite side of ship. But if you manage to calm her down/stuff her into her room and hurry up, you can enter engineering just after Blaze says "we has ourselves a saboteur on this boat".

We'll have to wait until Magnus/Martin post - much depends on them.

galenbd
2015-06-09, 04:46 PM
Curious as to how this was done, Martin starts fiddling with the code to alter the payload so it will no longer broadcast the ship's location, but a long string of encrypted data. It's a series of internal ship communications discussing the location of an item of value hidden on the ship. Not having hack tools, he can't trace it back. But maybe he can make the originally intended recipients come to him and find out who planted this. Naturally, the hiding place is in his stateroom.

[roll0]
Alter a program is Computer and probably Int. So I have a +3
I doubt an 8 will do it

samduke
2015-06-09, 04:52 PM
Deception Difficult (–2) Int +2
[roll0]
whether the deception works or not Krysta: "ahh excuse me we have a slight problem with our engine intakes and I must get down there to help fix the problem before it causes us to leave hyperspace to soon, now for your own safety I must ask you to return back into your cabin it may get bumpy".... and with that if she goes back in without a fuss Krysta will code lock the door then get to engineering...

ocato
2015-06-10, 09:24 AM
Ping nods to the captain and engineer, then notices the model in the hallway. He turns back to Blaze and whispers Two of the cryopods are starting to erratically dethaw, passenger death is likely. Please take a look at your earlier convenience. He speaks in a calm that belies the inherent threat of 'likely death'.

Ping then turns to the model, Madam, may I please escort you to your cabin? He ushers her down the hall as quickly as possible, doing his best to remain calm despite the thoughts racing through his mind. Once he gets her back to her cabin he takes a moment to lock it from the outside, then begins to move the rest of the passengers to their respective cabins in as kind and quick way as possible.

I apologize for the inconvenience but due to Captain's orders we're asking passengers report to their cabins. This is a drill of our emergency safety protocol and will be brief. Please hurry so that we may complete the drill and still have plenty of time to complete the rest of our scheduled entertainment before arriving. Thank you, he says with a bow

[roll0]

Mordaenor
2015-06-11, 02:02 PM
Ping nods to the captain and engineer, then notices the model in the hallway. He turns back to Blaze and whispers Two of the cryopods are starting to erratically dethaw, passenger death is likely. Please take a look at your earlier convenience. He speaks in a calm that belies the inherent threat of 'likely death'.

Blaze furrows his brown in a frown. Well that's a tad inconvenient. I might be able to tell you why the cryopods are thawing ahead of schedule, but 'twon't make a lick o' difference. Once begun, the process can't be halted or reversed, that's a sure-fire way to kill off you pasengers, and we won't be able to set the pods up again until we resupply. We got a Doctor on board?

samduke
2015-06-16, 02:48 PM
no GM post , pm or message of extended outage or activity on forums
This PbP game is dead, - Krysta walks to the self destruct button and pushes it for immediate explosion

BOOM!

I am out. ( last know posting for gm was 2015-06-10, 03:23 AM )