PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Rome (with magic) - IC

jodokast
2015-05-19, 04:34 AM
The roman camp of Eboracum is a short journey out of Isurium. At this time of year it is a cold journey. It is already shaping up to be a rough winter. The guards at the camp are all wearing heavy coats, and to a man they all look as if they would rather be anywhere else than standing watch in the cold.

http://static.bbc.co.uk/history/img/ic/640/images/resources/events/roman_occupation_wales.jpg

Of course the cold also meant that there were very few other signs of life in this large roman camp. Usually a camp would be bustling with slaves, legionaries, and assistants. But this time of year the bustling has slowed to a crawl. Only a few desperate looking slaves are dashing from place to place. Perhaps it was the weather, perhaps it was Paulus Muncius ensuring that this meeting remained low key. His summons had stressed this point quite forcefully.

Indeed even Muncius's usual servants seem to have vanished. There was a pitcher of wine with goblets in the middle of the table, but Muncius was offering it himself. For a man of his stature and years to be playing the role of the servant must mean secrecy was absolutely paramount

http://www.excerptsofinri.com/images/505centurion.jpg

"I'm glad you all made it on time." Muncius said when the four had arrived. "I have a pressing matter that is a little outside the scope of my usual command." He continues as he places his helmet on the table by the pitcher and runs a hand through his graying hair. " As you know our glorious emperor has ordered a wall to be built to keep those forsaken dwarves out. He has sent out an architect Flavius Publicola, to design a wall, with my men providing the labor to assist in its construction. For the past several months Flavius has been across and back the width of this isle, taking measurements and constructing his designs. I will be honest the man was a nightmare to work with and his surveying kept falling further and further behind. Servius Caecius, the wily cow that he is, has been sending missives to the emperor about these delays, and I am reliably informed that further delays will result in my recall to Rome, if I am lucky. So it is with some horror that I realized two days ago that Flavius has vanished. Neither he, nor his construction notes or plans are anywhere to be found. At this stage I do not mind why he vanished as much as I care about getting him back. The men under my command are very fine, but none of the rest of them have any skills in this area, so I must use the tools I have at my disposal. Which are those of you gathered here. I won't mince my words, every day that passes without Flavius is another day that Servius may succeed in having me recalled. I wish to make this very clear, locate Flavius before this happens and you will be rewarded handsomely, fail, and I will ensure that your fate is worse than mine."
Muncius is very serious as he says this, and it doesn't look like he is going to take no for an answer.

driftwood
2015-05-19, 07:05 AM
Amelia Prisca pulled her fur-lined cloak tighter about her, shivering. She probably looked like a barbarian, but her pride had withered before the un-Mediterranean cold. Sniffing, she noted Muncius' poor hospitality, offering none of them wine or refreshment after hauling them in like freedmen rather than citizens. Well, maybe the others were freedmen, or even slaves, they didn't look like much. He hadn't even offered an invocation of greeting, although these outlying soldiers probably all worshipped Sol Invictus instead of Mars.

Doing a mediocre job of shunting aside her irritation, she tried to speak in an even tone. "Have you consulted a flamen or augur to seek divine guidance? When and where was he last seen?"

Hypername
2015-05-19, 08:38 AM
Apart from that, are the legionnaires that were with him back? Did they see anything?
Says Marcus after he takes off his hood to sit.
He closes his cloak trying to warm himself, looking at the others sitting next to him, discreetly.
This must be serious he thinks for so many people to be gathered here in secrecy to discuss this.

jodokast
2015-05-20, 03:48 AM
"Servius Caecius would hear of it the minute I consulted either Prisca." The centurion says. "There are only two real Flamen's in Isurium who can truly practice their art. Unfortunately for me both are very close to Servius and I suspect his main sources of information in the city. Likewise the Augur is Servius's sister's husband."

At this the centurion offers more wine. "Flavius returned from the field with four of my men three days ago. They left him at their apartment in Isurium. They were meant to bring him back to camp where he should be staying, but apparently he insisted, said they could spend the night drinking and carousing before coming back here in the morning. I knew the man was a gambling reprobate with a propensity to drink, but I had no idea he could corrupt my men so easily. The claim they were separated as the night wore on and he never showed up at his apartment the next day. I have made discrete esquires of the local constabulary and morgue but he has shown up at neither. I was not particularly worried until I realized his workbook had vanished from his apartment also. Getting drunk and into trouble is one thing, vanishing without your work is something else. My men are being confined at the moment, and I am assured they will be exceptionally helpful with your investigation."

Hypername
2015-05-20, 05:53 AM
I see. I need to meet those soldiers as soon as possible. I doubt that his obsession with drinking and gambling has much to do with it though. Those soldiers might just know more than we believe they do, especially if they were with him for a long time.

Says Marcus scratching his beard.
A man suddenly disappearing leaving no trace behind? Suspicious...

whoiam
2015-05-20, 01:12 PM
"You shouldn't write off the gambling quite so quickly. He would hardly be the first man to do something...drastic... after gambling his wealth away." This particular opinion came from the second barbarian-looking woman in the party. The difference here was... well, she really was. (By ancestry, anyway). Audr wore her furs proudly (if for no other reason than she, like Amelia, felt that Britain was a little colder than she would have liked it to be) and her 'noble' bloodline was still too pure to have diluted her inherited german features.

Of course, the barbaric features in her appearance were somewhat spoiled by the ink-spotted chilton she wore over the top of her furs. It was hard to simultaneously be an intimidating barbarian and a professional scribe. And Audr... was utterly failing at the 'intimidating' part.

Still, it wasn't all bad. At least the rest of the party wouldn't have to fight over who filled out any reports at the end of the investigation...

jodokast
2015-05-21, 06:41 AM
"My men are being detained in the tent in the north west corner of the camp." Muncius says. "If they are not forthcoming, or even if you suspect they are not, let me know and I will apply the appropriate pressure." He takes a drink of his goblet. "As to the gambling there may be something there. However I will tell you bluntly, I suspect Servius Caecius. The man will stop at nothing to get rid of me. Whether he has done this by foul means himself, or just forced Flavius to flee is beyond me. My only hope is that he had not dared to kill the man directly as that could come back on his head."

"You will want to look at Flavius's apartment, it can be found in the Rua district, it's directly above Sixtus's bakery. I do have a key." At this Muncius holds out a simple copper key. "It will be a little disturbed, I had some of my men conduct a complete search for that book of plans. I have posted two men there in case Flavius should return."

Hypername
2015-05-21, 07:24 AM
Ι don't think you will need to apply more *ehm* pressure, sir. If everyone here is fine with it, we can just go and learn what those men know. See, if it was just gambling or drinking he wouldn't have taken his notes and his research with it, unless it was to sell them, but even that would be tough. No, I suspect something much worse. Before I am certain, I have to talk to the soldiers.

Marcus looks at everyone else

If you, my honourable companions, I guess, are ready, we can go start the questioning. Commander Muncius is there anything else we should know?

driftwood
2015-05-21, 06:25 PM
With a long-suffering sigh, Amelia nods at Marcus. "Yes, let's be on with this."

Vhaidara
2015-05-21, 06:33 PM
Kemes Ammonson, The Accursed Exile

Kemes looked up. It had only been a few days since he had arrived in the camp, and his servant had made itself useful while they had been there. It seemed that, combined with the reputation he was acquiring around the camp as a problem solver, was enough to draw the commander's attention Though now, of course, it was waiting outside, standing beside his litter.
I think I am prepared to begin the investigation. Shall we depart?
Rising, he steps out and reseats himself upon the litter.
Up, Amit.
The decrepit looking mummy responded instantly, lifting the litter onto its shoulders.

driftwood
2015-05-21, 06:39 PM
Amelia watches the exotic servant lift its master's litter. Curling her lip up in scorn, she mutters, "The decadence of the orient. They would see Roma herself bow beneath a similar litter - of wheat and silk, but a servant's yoke nonetheless."

Vhaidara
2015-05-21, 06:51 PM
Kemes Ammonson, The Accursed Exile

Kemes glances back at Amelia.
I have no such designs upon your empire. Neither am I of the Orient. I am a man of the Nile.
As he speaks, a rot grub crawls out of his mouth, down his pale chin, and disappears beneath his robes.
I am simply here seeking a cure for my condition. Amit was my first creation, and I am actually quite fond of it. And is this not more humanitarian than forcing a living being to bear me along?

driftwood
2015-05-21, 07:04 PM
The grub definitely didn't make Amelia flinch. Not even a little. Definitely not.

Mustering up a sniff (closer to a sniffle in the cold), she retorted, "More humane to return his genius to Dis Pater across the Styx."

whoiam
2015-05-21, 07:35 PM
Since the first of them had already risen from the table, Audr also made to excuse herself from the meeting point.

As she went outside, she could not help but mutter a comment on the current conversation to herself.

German, quietly: "I have seen better reasons to disturb another's rest in the next world than 'I cannot bear to bear my own weight'."

Once outside, she switches back into Latin to rejoin the conversation.

"Fascinating as this philosophical debate is, may I request some introductions before we rush into our investigation? My name is Audr, and when I am not employed as a Scribe, I serve as an ancient guardian of the ways of the Tribocci." Pause. None of them looked like her own people, or even like the gaulish tribes that would have known of them. "...Which translates to 'Druid from one of the German tribes still under Rome's control'. So I do know a little magic - just don't expect me to be animating forests any time soon - and, probably more usefully, I speak dialects of both the dominant native languages in the region. Without a Roman accent."

Vhaidara
2015-05-21, 07:45 PM
Kemes Ammonson, the Accursed Exile

Kemes shrugs.
He volunteered his body to the practice. It is considered a high honor to serve my family in death.
He looks quite interested when the woman introduces herself as a druid.
Fascinating. Part of why I came to this land was to study the magics practiced by the druids, in hopes of finding a way to break my curse.
He turns to the others.
I am Kemes Ammonson, Necromancer of the Nile.

jodokast
2015-05-21, 07:45 PM
"There is nothing additional I can think of." The centurian replies grimly. "Other than the requirement to keep me fully informed."

The prisoner's tent is easily located in the camp, only a short walk in the chilly air. Inside the tent is a large metal spike driven into the ground. Four large soldiers dressed only in tunics are huddling together. They are all shackled by the ankle to the spike. They all look the worse for wear, two of them have bruising on their face, another holds his arm delicately, and the fourth struggles to rise with the others as the party enters the tent.

Hypername
2015-05-22, 05:38 AM
Commander Muncius could you leave us alone with them? and makes a cruel smile.

driftwood
2015-05-22, 02:29 PM
Amelia takes a position in the corner of the tent, folding her arms and watching Marcus intently.

jodokast
2015-05-23, 07:04 AM
The commander gives you a curt bow and leaves you alone with the prisoners.

Hypername
2015-05-23, 04:15 PM
Someone keep record of what they are going to say. We might need it.
he says before he starts approaching the prisoners.
Hello soldiers. Calm down, I'm not here to hurt you, I promise. Now, I am a man that always keeps his promises, but I also am completely loyal to the one we all bow down to. As long that my promise and my loyalty don't interfere with each other everything will be fine for all of us here. If not, well my loyalty always comes first. In other words, if you help us here, I swear upon everything I hold holy, that not only will I not hurt you, but I will also do everything I can to have you released. Make my life harder by not helping and I will personally report to your commander that you were of no help, and trust me he won't be really happy about it. I am not trying to frighten or break you, I am merely stating the facts. Now that I've made my point I would like you to tell me everything about the disappearance of this poor man, Flavius. Do not omit any information and do no try to lie to me. I will see through it, and this won't be pleasant for you. Now speak. In the name of the emperor SPEAK.
He says looking the broken prisoners, making his point as clear as possible. He wants to make them feel that they have no other option. An old tactic taught to him by other interrogators during his training as a hunter of the enemies of the faith.

Intimidate check [roll0]
Bluff Check ("...I will see through it..." if needed) [roll1]

driftwood
2015-05-23, 04:41 PM
Not wanting to break Marcus' rhythm, Amelia deliberately walks to the other side of the tent, glaring at the four wretches. When he pauses to let his words sink in, she lets a moment go by, and then adds in a hissing voice:

"If there is any doubt that they are telling the truth, I have some training as a haruspex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruspex) ... although I will need their livers for that, and so any vindication will be posthumous."

jodokast
2015-05-24, 03:01 AM
The prisoners look properly cowered. One of them, a young blond man speaks up. Please miss. He says We've been completely honest with the centurion and we'll be honest with you.

At this the other men nod aggressively.

Three days ago we came back to the city with Publicola. Wed just spent two weeks with him surveying. He complained all the time, particularly about the cold as he always did. It was around 6 pm when we arrived back and he refused to go back to the camp. As he always did. He insisted on going to the baths and then out for dinner at The Solid Leg, We went with him to both. At the Solid Leg he ate, drank, rather a lot, gambled as he was prone to doing. Chatted with a young pretty brunette. At that point some dwarfern slave tried to pick a fight with Cornellius here and there was a scrap. At the end Publicola was nowhere to be seen. We assumed he'd taken the brunette home. But he wasn't there. We stayed up all night to wait for him but he didn't show. So we drew lots and Cornellius lost so we sent him back to camp with a report and we guarded the house until the centurion sent men to relieve us. We didn't see a thing at the house. He never showed.

Hypername
2015-05-24, 05:21 AM
Marcus stares at him, trying to pay attention not only to what he says, but also his facial expressions, the tone of his voice.
Sense Motive check to see If he is telling the truth [roll0]

He says with a calm voice
So, can you provide me with a description of the Dwarf and the that brunette? This scrap, except from you how many were participating? We need some more details.

driftwood
2015-05-24, 05:33 AM
"And what of the... Solid Leg? What type of establishment is it - a den of drink, wagering, whores, and vice? Who has been back there to investigate?"

jodokast
2015-05-25, 05:33 AM
You Believe Him

"We certainly can provide you with a description." The legionnaire says. "If you scribe can sketch we can provide a very good description."

"The Solid Leg was Publicola's favorite establishment. The food's not bad, and there is always gambling. The other night was only the third brawl we've seen in the place. There was the dwarf, but several other slaves joined in, it took around fifteen minutes til it was all over. Lucius here broke a table, and it took us a wee while to settle that with the barkeep. They were not expecting us to be so quick off the mark, perhaps they assumed we were intoxicated. "

Just over an hour of working with the four men produce the following two sketches:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TI3KUAcVyks/TjmoJS4ZsaI/AAAAAAAACYs/JgcZLDhrGfw/s1600/Woman-portrait-face-head-charcoal.jpghttp://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b604/Pife/dwarf_portrait__particular_by_dottorfile-d3i70m5_zpsfa65b6cd.jpg

Hypername
2015-05-25, 10:24 AM
Is it that all? Good. Thank you for your cooperation.

Marcus moves back, and whispers to the rest of the party

I think they truly have nothing more to tell us. If any of you people is not yet convinced, now it's the time to ask. Their spirits are broken and they are exhausted. If not we shall report back to the Commander, whatever we think we have learned or understood ourselves.

whoiam
2015-05-25, 10:50 AM
Audr gets in on that whisperin' action with "Agreed. We're probably best off heading to the Solid Leg and starting to inquire after that Brunette they mentioned. She seems to be the last person known to have seen Publicola. Let's just hope she didn't 'mysteriously vanish' at the same time..."

Hypername
2015-05-25, 11:58 AM
Αre you thinking, what I am thinking? I have a strange feeling about that disappearance.
he says, sounding troubled.

whoiam
2015-05-25, 12:09 PM
"The reading of minds is not a typical druidic power, so I am afraid I cannot answer that question.

As to what I am thinking, it has not changed since the start. I am thinking that the inveterate gambler got himself into financial trouble and sold the plans for the fortifications he was helping design to one of the tribes to the north as his way out of trouble. Better to live like a King amongst the Picts or Dal Raitans than as a disgraced pauper on the streets of Londinium. A Pictish woman, especially, could have easily made contact with him in a place like the Solid Leg. They're not all red-headed, despite the rumours, and few Romans could tell them apart from any of the other Breton tribes if they wore the right clothing. Half-drunk legionnaires would stand no chance of recognising such an agent."

driftwood
2015-05-25, 12:18 PM
Slightly disappointed she wouldn't be able to brush up her liver extraction skills, Amelia nodded in agreement at Marcus and Audr's comments. Then she walked back to the legionnaires.

"What is the name of the proprietor of the Solid Leg? Are there any guards working for him who might recall the night of the brawl?"

After receiving her reply, she returned to the others, muttering, "It's been too long already. I hope there is a trail left to follow."

Hypername
2015-05-25, 12:43 PM
I find it hard to believe that he would sell his work like that. An architect like that would be rewarded greatly by the Man above us. But let's stop hypothesising. Everything is plausible here. We need to head there as soon as possible. Give me some time to inform Commander Muncius that we are departing, and let's go. he says to Audr.

He cracks his knuckles and starts walking towards the exit of the tent.

I will see anyone willing to follow on the entrance of the camp. is the last thing he says just before he exits the tent.

jodokast
2015-05-26, 02:43 AM
None of the four men remember the proprietor's name, you get four suggestions
"The raven haired gal,"
"The hot dark haired"
"The piercing eyed one, not the dumb blonde who is often serving."
"What they said"

The establishment is easy to find, it has a well painted hanging sign, and is quite clearly not a dive. The proprietor is easily recognizable, she is standing outside on the street giving two men directions as they unload a large table off a cart.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/chocoladevla/33bc53a0-dc90-4357-bcc9-73b64ad632f8_zpsm4cabsdm.jpg

"We open at 4." She says curtly to the party as it approaches.

(It is around midday)

whoiam
2015-05-26, 08:18 AM
"And when it gets to four, we might be customers. May we speak with you inside? It's a delicate matter and best discussed before you acquire a merrily drunk crowd."

Of course, Diplomacy checks take at least a minute, so I'm going to roll here for Audr's effect on the following conversation (as opposed to those three sentences).
[roll0]

Feel free to Aid Another, folks!

Hypername
2015-05-26, 11:31 AM
It is of utmost importance to talk to you. We have no time to spare. he says looking at her growing tired.

Aid another [roll0]

Vhaidara
2015-05-26, 04:36 PM
Kemes Ammonson, the Accused Exile

Down, Amit.
The mummy lowers Kemes' litter, and the emaciated man steps off of it.
Indeed, I concur with the assessment of my colleagues. You would likely prefer us gone before your regulars begin to arrive. The matter at hand is not a pleasant one.

Diplomacy to Aid: [roll0]

driftwood
2015-05-26, 05:20 PM
Amelia clicks her tongue and arches her brows, but adds nothing until they are inside.

Diplomacy to Aid Another, untrained and without any bonii: [roll0] Boo roll.

jodokast
2015-05-27, 06:27 AM
The proprietor wrinkles her nose, and seems to consider the cost of the mummy carriage turning up at 4 and affecting her guests.
"I could spare you a few moments now." She says. "Provided these lummox's behave and place the table appropriately." Her tone here is more of humor than anything else.

The inside of the establishment is certainly not the flashest, but neither is it a dive. There are several heavy wooden tables that match a particularly impressive bar. The bar has a number of amphoras behind in a variety of unusual shapes. In one corner there is a table that is obviously designed for dice, and another that probably works with cards. The place is currently dark, it seems designed to be lit with some large hanging candlesticks, none of which are alight. The only thing that seems to be out of place are the splintered remains of one table that are pushed up neatly against the door.

"Now what was it you didn't want to discuss on the street?" She asks.

driftwood
2015-05-31, 04:16 PM
The silence draws out for an extra beat or two, and it seems the others are content to scrutinize the proprietress and her establishment. With a long-suffering sigh, Amelia directs her attention to their host.

"Madam, my associates and I are looking into a brawl occurred here a few nights ago. A dwarf and some slaves, some soldiers, some gambling, some drinking ... the usual. Can you tell us any more about it, or anyone else who was involved - the guards who broke it up, any loose women working that night, or the dwarf who I understand was an instigator?"

jodokast
2015-06-01, 05:05 AM
"Guards?" The woman sneers. "Break up a fight with legionaries? You've got to be kidding me. When the fight broke out one of the legionaries invoked his career, some of my less desirable patrons scarpered. It took only a couple more minutes after that for those men to throw one of their opponents onto my table, smashing it to pieces" She gestured to the pile by the door that the two men were now taking away. "Shortly after that another threw the dwarf clean out the door. He didn't come back. It took them longer to deal with me than the fight. They tried to tell me they weren't going to pay for the table, had to play an hunch and suggest their commanding officer didn't know where they were. They backed off real quick after that and sorted it out."

Hypername
2015-06-01, 05:29 AM
Let me ask you something, when they first came, they were with a man. A man that was a regular client here. Did you notice where he was during the brawl? Did you notice him leaving in the company of a brunette woman?

Says Marcus slightly angered by the unacceptable behaviour of the legionnaires.

jodokast
2015-06-02, 03:17 AM
Publicola you mean? The woman asks. He always comes in with legion guards who drink and buy food. I didn't see him leave but he frequently left with some girl or the other. Sometimes they were working girls I recognized but I didn't recognize her. Good looking though. He'd won a bit that night which meant he was going home with someone.

Hypername
2015-06-02, 07:28 AM
Yes that would be him. I see. When did you notice him leave? Early, late, before or after the fight? And you said he won this day? Do you know about any problems he had with debts from gambling or something like that?
Marcus seems really troubled.

whoiam
2015-06-02, 07:29 AM
She's starting to sound like a hunter, right enough. Go where your prey will be, strike cleanly without disturbing the rest of the herd, be gone before anyone notices you're a threat.

"Is there anything else you can tell us about them? What they did before 'making each others' acquaintance', say, or their interactions with your staff or other patrons?"

jodokast
2015-06-02, 05:48 PM
"That Publicola's gambling will be the end of him." The publican says as she pours herself a glass of beer. "He's been borrowing money from Trevius to keep gambling, and he's not one you want to be indebted to. As to the girl he was talking to, she'd only been in here a short while before he latched onto her. I certainly didn't notice either of them leave, we don't watch our well behaved patrons particularly closely. He could've left with the brunette, I didn't see her after the fight, but I didn't see either of them leave."

whoiam
2015-06-02, 06:06 PM
So he was getting into trouble... Might be worth looking up this money-lender of his. If the rich man looking for repayment or revenge isn't behind the disappearance, he might be willing to help out a little in exchange for us providing the location of his errant debtor...

"And who would Trevius be? Apologies, as you can tell from the accent, I'm not exactly a local."

driftwood
2015-06-02, 06:09 PM
"A dissolute gambler, eh? Besides this Trevius - and where can we find him? - was he in debt to others around town? Yourself?"

A pox upon games of chance and the men of low morals who play them!

jodokast
2015-06-03, 03:18 AM
"I don't extend credit to my customers sweetie." The proprietor says as she winks at Amelia. "You never know who is going to come back. As to Trevius he's a tax collector who works for the governor. When not out loaning government monies to desperate individuals you can usually find him in the assessor's office by the gates."

More information about Trevius and the tax collection system would be a knowledge(local) roll. I do allow players to take 10 on knowledge checks, however sometimes rolling higher than a 10 will reveal more information. To prevent players from knowing if this will be the case, I will point out where I think knowledge checks are obvious (here is one) but if you want to make a check at any time tell me you are taking 10 or make the roll.

driftwood
2015-06-03, 06:36 PM
Amelia creases her brow as she tries to recall what she can about Trevius.

[roll0]

jodokast
2015-06-04, 05:23 AM
Treviso is probably no more corrupt than other money lenders. However he is more notorious given his side business of lending money out. Enforcement of the loans is done by the local wood cutters a business run by Torcall Bhodhsa who according to rumour doesn't pay any import dues as a kickback by Treviso.

Treviso is answerable to the governor who so far has not made any effort at clamping down on corruption by the tax collectors.

He works in the excise office by the main gate.

whoiam
2015-06-07, 05:53 PM
[roll0]

Audr did something similar, albeit with less creasing. She'd had a briefing on local officials when she'd been transferred here... but as she'd be the first to admit, she hadn't been paying *that* much attention during it...

driftwood
2015-06-07, 06:06 PM
Pursing her lips sourly at the proprietor's wink, Amelia says, "Any chance this brunette was working for Treviso or his enforcement associates?"

jodokast
2015-06-08, 02:14 AM
Treviso is a corrupt tax collector who has a loan business and employs some muscle for that on the side.

Treviso is answerable to the governor who so far has not made any effort at clamping down on corruption by the tax collectors.

He works in the excise office by the main gate.

The proprietor takes another drink of her beer. "I really wouldn't know if she worked for anybody, or what she did. I'd never seen her before, or since. Why are you so interested in her? Also do you have many more questions I need to get to work."

whoiam
2015-06-08, 03:09 AM
"Mainly just because one of the 'players' in the incident we're investigating seems to have appeared and disappeared in the space of just one day. It's... potentially interesting.

Still, I think we're done here, unless there's anything else that struck you as odd about the night of the altercation?"

jodokast
2015-06-09, 03:35 AM
"Nothing odd," The proprietor says as she finishes off her drink. "Frustrating about the table, but that's just something that happens on occasion in this line of work."

Hypername
2015-06-09, 06:54 AM
Μarcus steps slightly behind scratching his chin looking at her, scanning her body moves and expressions.
[roll0]

He then whispers to Amelia
I think she won't tell us more. Let's go outside and plan our next move.

driftwood
2015-06-09, 07:51 AM
Lips tightly pressed, Amelia nods to Marcus. "Thank you, matron, for your assistance."

As she turns to leave, she looks back and adds, "Oh, one more thing, can you tell me where I might find Torcall Bhodhsa, the woodcutter?"

jodokast
2015-06-10, 03:41 AM
You sense no reason to suspect the bar owner is not telling the truth. You do think she might be hitting on Amelia however with that wink.

"Any time doll." She says to Amelia. "If you want to find Torcall he runs an operation just to the west of town, and he has a house on site, its about half an hours walk out of the west gate. And remember we open at 4 if you want to come back as patrons."

The street is fairly empty, several slaves are hurrying about their master's business, and several messengers are running with their messages.

driftwood
2015-06-10, 04:22 AM
Amelia follows Marcus and the others to a relatively secluded pocket on the street. Checking for eavesdroppers, lurkers, and ne'er-do-wells, she turns to the others.

"Treviso is just another corrupt tax collector, betraying the trust of the Senate. But if Publicola is in trouble for his gambling debts, I say we start with Bhodhsa. If I recall, he's got a nice little kickback scheme going with Treviso."

Hypername
2015-06-10, 06:32 AM
Ι think she was hitting on you back there. Anyway let's find that guy.
He says with a grin on his face.

whoiam
2015-06-10, 09:16 AM
Having followed the others out of the solid leg, Audr weighs in with a mildly amused:

"She runs a drinking-house. Being flirtatious is one way of attracting customers. And having women in your establishment when you're near to an encampment of legionaries is a great way of attracting customers."

"So, why the sudden interest in a woodcutter? Kickbacks off a tax collector - especially one this close to the edge of the Empire - are hardly unusual..."

driftwood
2015-06-10, 09:28 AM
Amelia arches a brow at Audr. "From what I heard, the kickbacks involve running security operations as well."

whoiam
2015-06-10, 09:39 AM
"...Ah, yes, that makes sense. I'm still not sure why you'd choose to start with the enforcer rather than the tax collector, though. Especially as we're closer to Treviso than to Bhodhsa."

Audr's knowledge check didn't turn up quite as much information as yours, it would seem...

driftwood
2015-06-10, 11:05 AM
Amelia shrugs, and begins ticking items off on her fingers. "Speaking to Treviso tips our hand - perhaps we can recover Publicola without Treviso ever being the wiser. Bhodhsa is probably the one who actually arranged to snatch or harm Publicola. Perhaps there is a warm trail from the woodcutter, and if not perhaps we can pick up something that will embarrass Treviso if we do need to confront him. But as you said, Treviso is closer, and perhaps it would make more sense to start there."

Yeah, it was a pretty awesome roll, given that I typically rolls 2s!