PDA

View Full Version : Opposite of grease spell

EastbySoutheast
2015-05-19, 12:51 PM
Okay now I know that I've read about this spell somewhere but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called or where its found

Its basically like grease but instead of halfing your movement speed it doubles it in those squares, its meant to be like you skid on it or something like that... Anyway if any of you have played the game 'wet' the character in that has a move where she skids on her knees and shoots at everyone she goes past,
I want to do this with a npc archer/hand crossbow man as a bad ass entrance to a room but to do that I need to make sure the spell is what I think it is,
Any help please playground

eggynack
2015-05-19, 12:59 PM
I think you're thinking of resinous tar from complete mage, because that's how it's billed in Treantmonk's wizard handbook, but I don't think it does the things you want it to do. Treantmonk's description of the spell as doubling movement rates certainly sounds like a weird speed doubling effect, but in actuality the spell doubles the cost of movement, which makes the whole thing oddly similar to grease given the spell looking like grease's opposite.

Miss Disaster
2015-05-19, 02:16 PM
Sticky Floor ... it's in Race of the Dragon.

There's a few good mentions of the spell here in the GitP forums. Probably even a thread or 2 devoted to it.

eggynack
2015-05-19, 02:23 PM
Sticky Floor ... it's in Race of the Dragon.

There's a few good mentions of the spell here in the GitP forums. Probably even a thread or 2 devoted to it.
Sticky floor also doesn't increase movement speed.

Darrin
2015-05-19, 02:43 PM
Any spell that creates difficult terrain will cost double movement (or halve your movement, depending on how the effect is worded). However, this isn't always entirely obvious from spell descriptions. A spell may say it creates a slippery or uneven surface, but may not mention that it's creating difficult terrain, or it may mention difficult terrain but not explain the movement costs associated with that. You may have to go to the Balance skill description or check the "Dungeon Terrain" section of the DMG to find out what rules are involved with moving across a particular surface.

As eggynack mentions, if you're looking for the "opposite of grease", there's resinous tar in Complete Mage (which actually can be used to counter grease), and also sticky floor in Races of the Dragon. Both spells cost double movement through a 10' x 10' square, but sticky floor does a lot more than resinous tar: it entangles targets, which incurs a -2 attack penalty and a -4 Dex penalty. It also has a longer duration, and on a failed Ref save, any creature in the affected area is stuck in place until it succeeds on a DC 15 Strength check or Escape Artist check.

For healbots, Frostburn has ice slick, which is four times the area of grease: 20' x 20' square. Moving across the ice requires a Balance check, and it's treated as difficult terrain (spell description says "half movement") even if you pass the Balance check. However, if you want to slide across it, druids and rangers can cast ice skate, which is a touch spell that increases your base movement speed across ice by +60'. The spell description doesn't mention that it creates any actual skates, so you could easily describe this as "skids on her knees" or however you like.

The only other spell I can think of that creates "smooth" terrain is unfailing terrain in Forge of War. This can be cast over difficult terrain so that your movement isn't halved or movement costs aren't doubled, allowing you to run or charge or skid or whatever you'd normally do over clear terrain. So you could have your John Woo archer cast impeding stones (Cityscape) to create difficult terrain over a 40' radius, then follow that with unfailing terrain on a 10' strip so he could skid along that.

I'd probably consider doing something with spellvials, maybe modified as the breakable tips on crossbow bolts. Use a Glyph Seal on a pocket or piece of ammunition to trigger the ice skate as a free action, then fire the first bolt to set up the ice slick, maybe use Paimon's Dance of Death to take a free shot at everyone you slide by.

Flickerdart
2015-05-19, 03:04 PM
There is a psionic power called skate that allows you to skid rapidly over regular terrain. You can buy boots of it.

Urpriest
2015-05-19, 03:14 PM
There is a psionic power called skate that allows you to skid rapidly over regular terrain. You can buy boots of it.

You can also just buy magical roller skates. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061120a)

EastbySoutheast
2015-05-20, 01:41 AM
Damn I think I was thinking of the tar spell but it doesn't sound like it does what I want,
Ahh well back to the drawing board

Miss Disaster
2015-05-30, 09:12 PM
Props to Darrin for some outstanding commentary on these thematically-related spells. These insights will definitely have me see these spells get more use for my next wizard character.

On a related note, there's also the Grease-like Incendiary Slime spell in Complete Mage. 2nd level. Although it's fairly meh from an optimization and popularity perspective. Although it does allow for rider effects (Fell Drain, Bracers of Entanglement) to accompany the Grease effects.

Interestingly, in Pathfinder, a Grease spell that uses Alchemical Power Components (which doesn't boost the spell level, just the cost for the added booster components) can get some nice benefits. A 5gp flask of alchemical grease added as a material component will add +1 DC to the Grease spell. Also add a 10gp flask of acid as a material component and your Grease spell adds 1 Acid damage per round to the creatures in the area - with No Save. I believe this allows for rider feats (again, Fell Frighten, etc.) to work on the base Grease spell. Although I'll have to read the fine print some more before being 100% on that.

Necroticplague
2015-05-30, 09:40 PM
Damn I think I was thinking of the tar spell but it doesn't sound like it does what I want,

Skate sounds like it does what you want. It's a psionic power that lets you move faster by reducing friction, letting you slide over things. Makes it harder to move uphill, but lets you really speed downhill.

Miss Disaster
2015-05-31, 02:13 PM

Is it possibly a Pathfinder spell?

Flickerdart
2015-05-31, 03:03 PM
Skate sounds like it does what you want. It's a psionic power that lets you move faster by reducing friction, letting you slide over things. Makes it harder to move uphill, but lets you really speed downhill.
Skate has already been mentioned, and that's not even right - it doesn't make it any harder to move uphill than normal.

Hawkstar
2015-05-31, 03:08 PM
Its basically like grease but instead of halfing your movement speed it doubles it in those squares, its meant to be like you skid on it or something like that...

I actually think this was a certain function of Grease in previous editions.

Necroticplague
2015-05-31, 03:44 PM
Skate has already been mentioned, and that's not even right - it doesn't make it any harder to move uphill than normal.

Derp. I was AFB, and remembered some detail about it being less effective uphill. I thought it slowed you down, it just doesn't help you uphill. Thanks for the correction.