PDA

View Full Version : Entangle and other movement-impediments: natural terrain?

Rakeesh
2007-04-20, 10:37 PM
Playgrounders,

I was curious as to what sort of 'type' the terrain is altered to in the case of some spells. Something such as Kelpstrand, for example, it impedes movement but doesn't really alter terrain. But something such as Entangle, I've reviewed the description and cannot answer this question on my own: if an area is subjected to the Entangle spell, is it still a natural environment, since the material of the spell is still the naturally existing flora? Or is it considered magical terrain, since these bits of flora are being transmuted?

Any other questions or comments people have regarding movement-impeding spells are of course welcome :)

Miles Invictus
2007-04-21, 01:38 AM
I presume you're thinking about the Druid's Woodland Stride ability.

Woodland Stride (Ex (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#extraordinaryAbilities))
Starting at 2nd level, a druid may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.
The key words are "magically manipulated" -- even if a spell only modifies the environment, it still nixes Woodland Stride and similar abilities.

Rakeesh
2007-04-21, 01:58 AM
Close, it's actually the Scout's Flawless Stride ability I was thinking of. http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf page 160. I didn't think to compare it to Woodland Stride, but it would certainly appear to be equivalent...

the quinn
2007-04-21, 10:12 AM
It looks so... but it is up to the DM to make it work or not.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-21, 03:33 PM
What about using that 2nd(?) lvl druid spell that instantaneously makes vegetation so thick creatures of large (huge?) size and smaller go through it really slowly?