PDA

View Full Version : Items for a swordsage

torrasque666
2015-05-19, 05:39 PM
I have a swordsage and I recently came into a fair amount of money. (100,000 GP)

I'm wondering what I should get with it.

Current equipment:
Cloak of the vagabond
Amulet of mighty fists (+2)
Robe of the vagabond
Sandels of the vagabond
Beast Claws

I mostly use my natural claw and bite attacks (Feral Longtooth Shifter) but I want to find ways to boost my to-hit. My DM has hinted that we might be going up against some Paragon creatures and currently I'm looking at only a +17 bite and +16/+16 claw attack. I know overcoming DR/Epic likely isn't going to happen much, but my maneuvers should handle tacking on extra damage.

Manly Man
2015-05-19, 05:42 PM
Getting maneuver-granting items are always good.

torrasque666
2015-05-19, 09:21 PM
Getting maneuver-granting items are always good.
That's good in general, but doesn't help with my to-hit problem...

Keld Denar
2015-05-19, 09:39 PM
Definitely 40k for a Ring of Freedom. Best money you'll ever spend. Even as a Swordsage with plenty of "Get Out of Jail Free" maneuvers such as Shadow Step (etc), the ability to just ignore bad things, even if cast by allies...ESPECIALLY if cast by allies, is a pretty nice boon. Waltzing into an Evard's Black Tentacles and laying down some Death From Above is pretty awesome.

RoyVG
2015-05-20, 05:29 AM
See if you can get Magic Weapon abilities on your Amulet of Mighty Fists and go for a Martial Discipline weapons of your favorite stance. The weapon gives a +1 to attack at all times if you know a maneuver or stnace of that discipline, which increases to +3 when you actually use a maneuver of that discipline, or when you are actively in a stance of that discipline. You can enchant it with multiple displines and it will stack if you can use both at the same time (Strike of one discipline, Stance of another for +6 attack). Tome of Battle pg 148.

Other than that, +Str item (+Dex if you have Weapon Finess) increases you to-hit. Other than that, I can't really think of anything right now.

Hiro Quester
2015-05-20, 08:22 AM
One of the best ways to increase your to hit is to get bigger. Buy a wand of enlarge person and give it to your party's arcane caster.

Or get a custom magic item that gives you 5/day uses of enlarge person. Belt of Embiggening or something like that.

There's a handbook on natural weapons (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10994.0) here that has lots of other advice about using and enhancing natural weapons.

torrasque666
2015-05-20, 09:53 AM
See if you can get Magic Weapon abilities on your Amulet of Mighty Fists and go for a Martial Discipline weapons of your favorite stance. The weapon gives a +1 to attack at all times if you know a maneuver or stnace of that discipline, which increases to +3 when you actually use a maneuver of that discipline, or when you are actively in a stance of that discipline. You can enchant it with multiple displines and it will stack if you can use both at the same time (Strike of one discipline, Stance of another for +6 attack). Tome of Battle pg 148.

Other than that, +Str item (+Dex if you have Weapon Finess) increases you to-hit. Other than that, I can't really think of anything right now.
If I could figure out a formula for it, I'd offer it to my DM. I mean, its not a weapon, and it doesn't follow weapon pricing rules. As is, the only thing I can think of is instead using the Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species.

Feint's End
2015-05-20, 11:55 AM
If I could figure out a formula for it, I'd offer it to my DM. I mean, its not a weapon, and it doesn't follow weapon pricing rules. As is, the only thing I can think of is instead using the Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species.

Yes try this. It's a very reasonable way to calculate properties for natural weapons.

Seconding martial discipline weapon. +3 to hit for a +1 enchantment is great and gives you some breathing room with your to hit (you need less enhancement bonus to scale up to your enemies and can use feats which reduce your to hit relatively easier).

torrasque666
2015-05-20, 12:47 PM
Yes try this. It's a very reasonable way to calculate properties for natural weapons.

Seconding martial discipline weapon. +3 to hit for a +1 enchantment is great and gives you some breathing room with your to hit (you need less enhancement bonus to scale up to your enemies and can use feats which reduce your to hit relatively easier).

I was thinking about doing that, probably just getting a +1 necklace of natural weapons with the Tiger Claw and Wounding enhancements. I get more con damage dealt (what with Longtooth Elite and all)