PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Suggestions for a "man worth his Tin"

lynxd80
2015-05-19, 06:20 PM
Warning: If you are a member of the Fata Fabulae Campaign: Please read no further!

That said, I've been working on some new enemies for my players to be based around a Twisted, steampunk version of Frank L. Baum's "The Wizard of Oz". I have already created Dorthy, the Lion, and the Scarecrow... However, I find myself a little stuck on the Tin Woodsman. I know I could easily go with a Warforged for this villian, but I already have a villian whom is constructing himself into one via the Mastermaker prestige class. However, I'm not against a Sentient construct to take this place, either. I found something along the lines of a "Tin Golem" that was released in Dragon 341 (according to research), but have been unable to find any further information about it.

By chance, would anyone happen to have the stats for said golem? I'm thinking of addiing some tome of battle to it, but what sort of suggestions would you all make to help construct such a foe (should I/Should i not find the Creature stats)? Note: I plan on having them fight with him at their 11th level and there are 7 players + 1 NPC. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

~Lynx D.

Karl Aegis
2015-05-19, 07:12 PM
Tin golems cap out at 12 hit dice (large sized) and have proficiency with simple weapons, martial weapons and all shields (except tower shields). They have no slam attack. They are primarily used as slaves to craft weapons or armor, and some of them have profession skills. They have an ability that gives them 6 ranks in any two craft or profession skills. They get a +3 racial skill bonus to spot or climb (it isn't specific as to which one) from SOMEWHERE (who knows from where?). They have speech as an extraordinary ability.

You probably shouldn't use a tin golem. They won't be a challenge for the party.

I suggest using an old man with an oversized battlefist from several generations previous that doesn't work properly.

DrMotives
2015-05-19, 07:52 PM
The Tin Woodsman started out as a normal munchkin named Nick Chopper, he just repeatedly replaced severed limbs with tin as they got cut off by his cursed ax. So he basically repeatedly added the half-golem (tin) template to himself until all his original body was gone. Once his original humanity was completely gone, he told himself he couldn't love the munchkin girl he wanted all along, her mother being the one to curse his ax, and after the Wizard gave him a heart he never chased her again. He did fall in love with the Patchwork Girl, who made of an old quilt and a large amount of magic intelligence beans for a brain. He also retired to become Emperor of the Winkies, who are the people enslaved by the Wicked Witch of the West, shown in the old Judy Garland movie as green-skinned goblinoid people.

nedz
2015-05-19, 08:06 PM
Give him an Irish accent and then the Slender Racial feat (DR324 p78).

lynxd80
2015-05-19, 08:13 PM
Interesting information from both of you... So, a nifty idea came into my head: What if I make him a "Sheriff" type ala' The Sci-fi original "Tinman" and pull some guns from d20past? Or, I could construct him with the Half-Golem template to make him mostly Construct and then equip him with some form of Cursed Axe... Give him a Ranger/scout mixing with Swifthunter feat or play him "Heartless" as a barbarian... What do you guys think? Think I could do it better with a different class combos or what-not??

~Lynx D.

lynxd80
2015-05-19, 08:19 PM
Give him an Irish accent and then the Slender Racial feat (DR324 p78).

What does it do, exactly?

~Lynx D.

jiriku
2015-05-20, 03:57 AM
Take a nimblewright (MM2), advance it to 15 HD and customize its skill and feat selections, then stack on some class levels in an appropriate ToB class. Starting with an IL of 8th when it gets its first maneuvers will let you skip right to the powerful stuff. You should be good to go.

lynxd80
2015-05-20, 07:47 PM
Appreciate the Suggestions, everyone! I think i might just have to run with the Nimblewright idea! Thanks a mil for the help!

~Lynx D.

atemu1234
2015-05-20, 07:51 PM
How're you doing scarecrow and the cowardly lion?

nedz
2015-05-20, 08:30 PM
What does it do, exactly?

~Lynx D.

Minor skill bonuses for being thin.