PDA

View Full Version : pricing a potion equivalent to an eternal wand

curious-puzzle
2015-05-20, 12:25 AM
So I've had a player ask if he can create some custom items, essentially 2/day potions of some 1st level spells. Going off the item crafting guides, they end up being around the same price as an eternal wand. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that to use an eternal wand (which is a pretty good comparison item), you have to have at least 1 level of an arcane spellcasting class. A potion requires nothing other than drinking it to gain access to the buffs. Should there be an additional cost for it not having any requirements, and if so how much would people think? He's a martial character, mostly paladin, looking to pick up buffs for melee like enlarge person. I very well may be wrong, but the cost just seems low to me. Any opinions are welcome!

Karl Aegis
2015-05-20, 01:08 AM
The cost is the gratuitous amount of actions you'e using to use a potion. You're using at least two actions to use a potion and the caster level on a potion is not good.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-05-20, 01:14 AM
The cost is the gratuitous amount of actions you'e using to use a potion. You're using at least two actions to use a potion and the caster level on a potion is not good.

The CL is the same as on a wand. I agree with the action part though. Also the mundanes are lagging behind anyway, so i can't see it upsetting the balance too much (or at all, really).

JDL
2015-05-20, 01:59 AM
Take the cost multiplier of a potion vs. a wand (5/3) and add that cost onto the cost of an eternal wand of the same spell. Done. For a 1st level spell such as Enlarge Person, that would mean an Eternal Potion would cost 1,250 gp and be usable two times per day.