PDA

View Full Version : Don't go into the woods: IC

Inevitability
2015-05-20, 12:28 AM
The little sunlight that reaches into the dark hut does nothing but tell Kuthili another dawn has come. Soon, he would be given some awful food and a small bowl of water, and then...

The sound of hushed voices suddenly sounds within the hut, and two people can be seen talking. One, who the Killoren recognizes as Lorf, carefully approaches and points at the prisoner. The other, a guard who Kuthili has not seen before, speaks in an angry voice.

"Listen up, you murderous savage. We're going to give you a chance to be useful and get out of here, and I suggest you take it. Now come along, I haven't got all day."

The guard opens the door and roughly sizes Kuthili by the arm. He then leads the Killoren to a large building in the center of the village. Lorf walks right behind.

The three people wait in front of the door. From inside, they can hear voices...

The four villagers stood in the center of the elder's house. It was large, by the village's standards, and surprisingly well-furnished. Around a dozen chairs stand around a large oaken table, and two braziers are located on both sides of the room. A pair of antlers decorates the wall, most likely a hunting thropy from back when the elder used to be a hunter himself. Several other important villagers, such as Godric the smith and Zoraz the priest. Lorf, the guard captain, seems to be absent though.

Au-Ruk, Morag, Niz, and Koiper. Four very different people. Yet today, they had gathered here. Why exactly? That would soon become clear...

The elder rose from his seat and started speaking.

"I wish to greet everyone who has come here today, especially the brave souls who this whole meeting is about. May the gods bless you all and grant you health and bravery."

"As you surely know, the merchants have not visisted us this year. For us, this is troublesome, and I and the other leaders fear a food shortage. Rather than wait for our stores to run out and hope the merchants will visit, though, we will be doing something else. We shall find food ourselves."

"Koiper, Morag, Niz, and Au-Ruk. You are all skilled and strong people. When you volunteered to go on this mission, I was happy knowing you would be the ones doing it."

"The woods, however, are dangerous. Even the most skilled hunters can't possibly be prepared for what will be out there. And that is why we've decided to send a fifth person with you."

As if waiting for this moment, Lorf walks inside. Behind him follow a guard and a creature none of you has ever seen before. You heard rumors about a captured and imprisoned savage, but didn't know what it looks like.

http://www.hachiroku.ca/wild_guns/images/indians/indians_tomahawk_fighter.png

Kuthili looks something like this, except he's been pretty worn out from being in prison for months.

"'Person' isn't what I'd call this." Lorf speaks as he pushes the captive towards you. "More like 'brutal savage' or 'bloodthirsty murderer'."

The elder glares at Lorf for a moment, then turns his attention to the captive.

"Brokenjaw. If freedom is what you seek, I can grant it. Those four people need a guide through the woods, and you do know those lands very well. Go with them and guide them. If you do well, your crimes will be forgiven and you will be set free. Try to escape, and they will hunt you down and capture you, if the monsters of the forest don't do so first."

"I suppose you could refuse, in which case you'd be imprisoned again. If we do get short on food, though, know that you'd be the first one to starve."

"So, what do you say? Servitude or death?"

The elder looks the Killoren in the eyes, waiting for his answer...

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-20, 04:02 AM
He tried to hide his weakness. He was very weak. Even more, he hated crowds, and now he was in one. Everyone was looking at him: a lot of faces with different emotions each.
Some were angry. He could understand. He had attacked many.
But what Kuthili hated more was the curious faces. Not the ones waiting for his answer, because he would certainly embrace this chance to leave this miserable lot.
It was the other type of curiosity. Those that saw him as if he was a strange animal. Something that you can look for amusement and entertainment. Those that would be more amazed by the way that he would speak rather than by his answer.

In any case, Kuthili was very amazed by this turn of events, and he didn't show any resistance.

"Guide it is you want, I will be one. Fighter it is you want, I will also be one. Help it is you want, I will provide. But if pet is what you want, I won't be one. And if the time comes that you find what you want, I leave you for good. Try to become hunters out there and you're already the hunted. Try to go alone a hundred yards away from me and you're no longer my responsibility, but the wild's."

That said, he raised his hands and displayed his chains. "I will need my hands. And I will need my tomahawks."

Inevitability
2015-05-20, 07:29 AM
Eli's expression relaxes, and the elder speaks.

"Of course. Lorf, remove the chains."

The guard captain roughly does as he is told, though with clear anger. He then walks away from Kuthili, angrily muttering to himself.

"As for your weapons, though, we will be holding onto those until you leave the village. I'm sure you'll understand."

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-20, 08:02 AM
"Two months I waited. Can wait a bit longer. So, who is coming with me?" Said Kuthili and looked around, while he was grasping his free hands.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-20, 03:49 PM
Morag is bent over the mayor's oaken table, picking through a pile of detritus that she's unceremoniously dumped onto it, sifting through it with her long, nimble figures. It seems a random assortment of odds and ends: small bits of string and wood, cured leather patches, some rose petals, a pile of powder of various colours which she carefully scrapes into a tiny bag, and a lump of some kind of animal fat. She sorts through it, choosing bits of junk seemingly at random, and secreting them away in the pouches she wears on a leather strap slung over the front of her tunic.

She cranes her head and peers up as Kuthili is dragged in, and smiles, the light of the braziers glinting against her pearly white teeth. Her amber eyes regard him with amusement, but for once, not a particularly malicious brand of it.

"I told you he'd come around, Eli. He just needed time to cool off and to consider what kinds of freedom he values the most. Isn't that right, Kuthili? I'm glad you've agreed to come with us." she says, her voice soft and soothing, her words careful and deliberate.

She regards the fae man with interest for a moment, and then rises, sweeping the remaining junk back into the bottom of the backpack she originally emptied it out from. She stands up and looks over the other three members of the party.

"I can vouch for the killoren. Those of you that do not know me, my name is Morag. I do not own a bow and I am a poor hunter, but I know a few spells that will protect us."

trysted
2015-05-20, 04:40 PM
I'm coming with you.

Koiper speaks loudly to garner everyone's attention, and then softens. Aside from Lorf's prisoner here, I think you all know me. And for the most part, I'm hoping you all trust me. Because I know you all. And I will tell you this, that this is my home. I will do what I can for it. Let's hope that "what I can" is enough.

Koiper turns to Kuthili. You and I, well, we've no history. There are those here who resent you. I'm not one of them. I don't speak for anyone here but myself. A bargain has been struck. As far as I am concerned, you are here to help me and I don't think you can do that if I don't trust you. So I can tell you now, as our guide and someone far better with those axes than I am, I trust you. I will continue to trust you, until you've given me reason not to. I repeat, I trust you. I want you to know that now, so that you don't have to wonder about it later, when wondering if I trust you or not could get us killed. Do not wonder.

If there is some reason I shouldn't trust you, then you should tell me now. And that goes for the rest of you.

HerbertWest
2015-05-20, 04:58 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2013/5/31/1370035649540/Neanderthal-man-011.jpg

Au-Ruk stands with the rest of the gathered hunters, giving Godric a small smile before his face goes stern and solemn again at the Elder's words. The Neanderthal easily stood a foot or more taller than the rest of them, so he had the look of always looking down when others spoke. Fully dressed for the hunt in his armor and his various weapons, he listened to what the others had to say before speaking himself.

"I am here to help this place in their hunt, as the Huntress would want. I have no hatred for any of you."

His words were simply spoken, but such was his way.

casualcryptic
2015-05-20, 05:03 PM
http://www.komarckart.com/mtg_23.jpg

Niz listened cooly to the mayor's speach, resisting the urge to snort as he rattled on about the virtue of bravery and other foolish notions. As if bravery has anything to do with it. Survival won't come from bravery, though it may come in spite of it.

His eyes narrowed as the... creature was borught into the room but he said nothing, simply waiting while the mayor awkwardly explained the situation. Niz didn't have problems with bringing the man-beast along on the expedition. The savage had wasted enough of the village's resources, and this was as good a time as any to be rid of it. But why the mayor insisted on dignifying it with a conversation in his office rather than on the edge of town, or better yet, at the dog kennels, was frankly beyond him.

It was ultimately irrelevant. The hunters would need a good wall of flesh to keep the goblins at bay, and this 'Kuthili' would do as well as any. In fact, considering the average villager's survival skills, he would probably surpass them in many ways. Still, to hear the other villagers pamper the man-slaying savage was almost more than Niz could stomach. He met the guard captain's eyes with a look that expressed worries of his own regarding the savage then forced himself to go through the necessary introductions.

"I am sure you will be more than useful she-mage," Niz began by consulting his fellow elf, after deciding on the most flattering arcane title from a sample size of she-mage, witch, and temptress. He then turned and addressed the group at large. "My name Is Niz Yorick, one of the afforementioned hunters. I prefer to refrain from boasting, but I have developed some skill with a bow over my hundred years in this village," as he says his age Niz passes his gaze to the savage, eager to gage his reaction.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-20, 05:31 PM
The savage gazed, one after the other, the four members of his future company.

An elf. Elves he had seen. They respect the nature. They don't cut trees to build their things. They have keen sight. Good. But he was a mage. Can be good this time. But most of the time, he was afraid of spells. Animals have claws, not balls of fire that burn the forest.

A local man. He seems to be popular. So he knows his deeds. Moreover, he demands trust. A word he listened a year ago last time. Could be good to have somebody to watch your back, for now. He leaned his head.

A big, strong guy. He was a person of wild heritage, it seemed. Short to the words. Interesting. Not the worst to have around.

And another elf. He studied him: He seemed an archer. Always good to have one. But arrows end eventually, and they can't protect you when you see a feral badger in front on your nose.

His eyes turned to a deep green colour, as he concentrated. It has been a long time he hasn't manifested the aspect of the hunter. Or any aspect at all.

"Strong and able you seem. I can survive out there alone, so it must be much more dangerous recently so that five people may not succeed."

He looked his company with his eyes forest-dark.

"If you can tolerate me, I can. If you want me to guide you, I will lead the way. But when I say stop, we stop. When I say quiet, its total silence. And if i say run, we run like a deer. And if someone says I don't take orders from you, remember I can do the same. I have survived in what you call "the wild" . I am "the wild". "

And he stopped, waiting for their judgement, hands crossed.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-20, 06:01 PM
"Then it is settled." Morag declares. She shoulders her pack, pulling her dark black silver-flecked hair out of the way of the straps.

"Setting off northwest seems most promising. Good hunting and less competition for it. Unless you wish to explore to the south west first? I can't imagine the danger will be less or the game more plentiful."

She glances at Eli. "We could use a map. If you have any."

HerbertWest
2015-05-20, 06:07 PM
Au-Ruk thinks for a moment, listening to the others introduce themselves. It hadn't occured to him to do the same, considering that most of the villagers shyed away from him when given the opportunity to avoid him. Stepping forward to address the group, the primitive man speaks.

"I am Au-Ruk. I speak for the Huntress. I carry her blessing. Let us go now."

The neanderthal didn't seem to bear much ill will towards Kuthili. His people's ways could be considered savage and brutal, from most perspectives. He figured he had no place to judge.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-20, 06:14 PM
"Map? What is a map?" He was confused.

Inevitability
2015-05-21, 12:22 AM
"I believe miss Morag is referring to this."

Eli reaches for his belt pouch and takes out a crudely drawn map. It's not very detailled, and it does contain a few blank spots, but it's better than nothing.

http://i.imgur.com/jLtARM9.png

"I am sorry for the map's quality. We had to piece it together from several reports, so it may not be fully accurate. Still, I think it may be useful."

The elder hands the map to Morag.

casualcryptic
2015-05-21, 12:07 PM
Niz smiled slighty at the idea that a map had been created for the journey, but his smile drops away as he sees the quality of the thing. It was not better than nothing. Ignoring the mountains and the plains, where they would not be going, and the goblins, which the map only questioned, it only really showed where the hills began. Niz got the sense that he and the savage would end up doing most of the navigation on the journey, and he would have to hazard the rest of the group not to rely on the scrap of parchment too closely.

"Yes, well, it seems everything is in order then. Eli, what is your plan for getting food back to the village once we've found it. I'd assume you've thought of something." At this point Niz wasn't sure if his question qualified as an obvious concern or wishful thinking.

Inevitability
2015-05-21, 01:01 PM
"Ah, yes. I was going to mention that next. You'll be given two draft horses; fine animals who can carry the food for you. Be careful, though. I think many a predator with a taste for horses lurks in the forest."

The elder pauses for a moment, frowning as if trying to think of something.

"I think I explained things quite well, but does anyone still have any questions?"

SlyJohnny
2015-05-21, 03:31 PM
"Yes, Eli. Where did you kill the stag you got those antlers from? Was it around here?" she says, nodding at the elder's hunting trophy on the wall.

As he speaks up in confusion, Morag shows the map to the killoren and begins to explain.

"Kuthili, a map is a drawing of where a place is in relation to other places. It's to help you navigate your way through terrain that you might not be familiar with, and know the distances between spaces. This map is sparse because we don't know much of what is around us. It'll be your job and Niz's to make it better and more accurate."

Morag folds the map up, and looks over at Au-Ruk and Kopier as she speaks.

"It's an important job. If we get lost, you and Niz and can probably find your way home even without a map, and I have a spell scroll that will lead me back to Radsend. But Kopier and the boy might have a harder time of it if we get separated."

She frowns at Au-Ruk as she looks over at him, speaking about him almost as if he isn't in the room. She casts a snide smile over at Zoraz, her amber eyes flashing with amusement, as they always do whenever she decides to deliberately provoke an argument out of boredom or simple malevolence. "Honestly, Zoraz. This boy wasn't even born when I first arrived here. He has barely seen fifty seasons, and you want to send him into the woods. I know we needs must have a priest with us, but Eli should have shamed you into coming with us long before he permitted a child to take your place."

HerbertWest
2015-05-21, 04:35 PM
Au-Ruk listens to the conversation happening around him. At first, he doesn't even seem to put together that Morag is indeed speaking about him. When he does, his face grows angry looking, his eyes narrowing beneath his jutting, primitive brow. He steps forward, his steps heavy due to his siez, and towers over the wizard, looking down at her with a baleful glare.

"I am not a boy. I am a man of Ice Clan. I have honored my ancestors and the Huntress through my Rite of Passage, three frosts ago. Think before speaking ill of your companions, little one."

trysted
2015-05-21, 04:35 PM
Koiper gives Morag a smile. I do so appreciate your concern. But don't pretend that none of that concern is self-serving. I know that if I were you, I'd too be reluctant to leave town with such an handsome guy as me and to come back without him. The rest of the population would turn you out, well at least the female half would. I'm not sure that any story other than "I couldn't bear to share him with you lot, so I have him locked away for myself" would be believed".

Koiper follows that off with a bigger smile and a wink.

But for as for Au-ruk, if you want to attempt to shame the representative of a god, then you should probably do it AFTER the expedition, not before. Because if we aren't back in a reasonable amount of time, it may be more dangerous to be here than to be out with us.

But humor and squabbling aside, the bigger issue is...which direction on that map is towards the closest town that used to send us traders?

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-21, 06:06 PM
Strange, this "map".
"Many problems IF you plan to return. But this will be your last concern, for great dangers await. You make communities in the wild. You cut trees and you drive away game. You sell dead tree and fur for food, but food doesn't come and you starve. Miserable townsfolk. As if only the people in this town need to feed in this forest and noone else. And when nature turns against you, you are surprised."

"Now, where your precious traders come from?"

casualcryptic
2015-05-21, 07:15 PM
"Now, where your precious traders come from?"[/QUOTE]

Niz sighs audibly, the conversation growing tedious. "Yes, yes. We are bad people who do bad things, yet you are the one inprisoned. Life can be very unfair at times and it seems to favor the winners. Nature and man have had a rocky relationship from the outset and I see no reason why it would suddenly turn to roses." He pauses, a question arising that he hadn't thought of immediately. "Koiper, why of all questions do you consider that one the most important?" Niz watches the man as if suddenly studying a puzzle.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-21, 07:38 PM
Au-Ruk

Morag peers up at Au-Ruk. She grimaces slightly, clearly chastising herself for having antagonised the neanderthal. Well, how did you expect him to react? Fool. This isn't playing with village politics to keep your mind active. Your life is going to depend on these people and their opinion of you. She opens her mouth slowly, as if still considering her words, and speaks.

“I apologise, Au-Ruk. You must understand... I have lived for more than seven score years, and will live that more again. You are seventeen or eighteen years at my count, and that seems impossibly youthful to me for someone to be a warrior. But I know that it's... different, for your kind. I'm sure you are a capable priest and we will depend on your healing. If you are willing to forgive me, I will not try to shame you for your youth again.” She extends a hand towards him, hoping that he's lived in the village long enough to understand what an offer of a handshake is.

Koiper/Niz

Morag shoots her toothy smile at Koiper. “But of course. I do not wish to survive this expedition only to be clawed to shreds by a pack of grief-stricken, wailing maidens."

She opens the map again and points out the road to Kopier, which leads towards the distant town.

“This way. But I am against heading to town. It'll take too long and the road may not be safe. We don't know if the caravan did not come to us, or tried to and failed. The caravan always had guards or adventurers with them. Better equipped than us. If they did not make it through to us, who's to say that we could make it through to them?”

Morag glances off to the side for a moment, staring at one of the braziers, the fire inside it reflected in her eyes. “Or it might be worse than that. Maybe they did not come at all, because... something is wrong. We're isolated out here. The entire country could be being eaten from within by plague and we would not know of it. Or war could have finally found its way here. I think we have to assume that we're on our own, for the time being.”

trysted
2015-05-21, 11:10 PM
Koipe r nods. You make some good points, even those that have nothing to do with grief stricken Maidens.

Perhaps since the normal route is from the southeast, we should start out venturing west. And just let Kuthili lead from there?

Inevitability
2015-05-22, 12:10 AM
Eli looks a bit worried at the erupting bickering.

"Calm down, people. Calm down. I think..."

Lorf rudely interrupts the elder.

"Look, if you want to argue you can do that after, say, bringing back some game. There are people in this village, good people, who are going to starve without food, and it is your responsibility to get it to them. Now try to focus on what you're supposed to do or I'LL MAKE YOU!"

The guard captain breathes heavily, having trouble to recover from his outburst. The few others in the room, including Eli, seem shocked.

"I... am sure you can work together very well. Yes. Now, as Lorf pointed out so... forcefully, I think you maybe should check if there's anything you want to do before leaving. After all, you do have an important mission."

For a moment, no one says anything. Then, Zoraz smiles and speaks.

"What our good elder means is that we'd like you to start the hunt. Right now. Get to work, I'd say."

The priest gestures to the guard Lorf brought with him, who after a moment of hesitation opens the door. From where you are standing, you can see a couple of people waiting outside, apparently curious to what happens in here.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-22, 01:57 AM
He didn't see it at first. But now it was right in front of him.

The forest.
He kneeled to the ground, his eyes staring at the trees wild open. Not able to see it for two months.

He made one step, then turned to the others with a smile.

"Are you done, already? Take what you need! To the hunt!"

HerbertWest
2015-05-22, 02:56 AM
Au-Ruk considers Morag's words, looking at her hand before taking it in his own rough, calloused one, and shaking it. He has learned the handshake in the last few years, though he finds it a somewhat odd gesture.

"Thank you for understanding. I think we will be able to all work together with this...understanding."

The primitive man paused for a moment, trying to find the correct word for what he was conveying.

casualcryptic
2015-05-22, 09:57 AM
Niz nods. "So be it then. I have everything I'll need in my pack. Shall we make our way?" he asks, somewht ignoring Kutthili's enthusiastic ushering.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-22, 10:53 AM
Kuthili looked around, trying to sense the direction.
"So, we go... where the sun sets?? This.. map thing.. is strange."
And pointed to the west.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-22, 10:58 AM
Morag grins wickedly at Eli.

“Just teething problems. Do not worry, we shall overcome our differences in time to save the village just like the heroes in the sagas of old! I mean. Probably.”

She gestures to the antlers.

“Before I go, where did you bring down that beast? It might help us to know.”

Barring that, Morag seems ready as any to leave, following the others outside. If her brother or his family are in the crowd, she'll skirt around and try to avoid them. Apparently, she hates emotional goodbyes.

trysted
2015-05-22, 11:15 AM
Koiper shrugs. Works for me.

He then picks his way to be directly behind Kuthili.

Hey, did someone give this guy his weapons back? Because I'd rather he had them...

Inevitability
2015-05-22, 01:55 PM
"You mean those?"

Eli pauses for a moment, and his eyes glaze over briefly. He then turns to Morag again, and answers:

"Northwest... Yes, I am pretty sure it was to the northwest. The deer were resting in one of the denser parts of the forest there."

"I'm not sure if you should go there, though. It's goblin territory, and living is more important than a nice trophy."

At Koiper's remark, the elder nods to Lorf, who reluctantly shows a small bundle of weapons, clothes, and other items. The guard captain walks towards you, but doesn't hand over the bundle yet.

"You won't get it as long as you're still within my town, get it?" Lorf hatefully speaks. "I'll walk along to the forest edge."

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-22, 02:20 PM
Kuthili looked Lorf with a smile.
"If only you were as intimidating to the threats out there as you are to me, all villagers would be safe and fat for a hundred years"
He pointed his finger to a distant tree.
"Come, law-keeper. Walk with me till there to give me my things. But be careful, for in this tree MY law applies, not yours."

HerbertWest
2015-05-22, 02:47 PM
Au-Ruk shifts his armor and weapons to more comfortable positions, and adjusts his holy symbol to where it is clearly visible. So readied, the neanderthal motions that he is ready to proceed with the others.

trysted
2015-05-22, 04:21 PM
Well, MY law applies everywhere. Of course, I just make it up as I go along. Also, I'm the judge too. And you would not believe how many of you are currently serving suspended sentences for the crime of failing to provide me a drink when I get overly sober. So be careful all of you, cuz you're on probation.

Koiper turns back to the general throng. And those gals in this crowd, you're on probation too! I won't say names, but you know who you are!! So you better behave while I'm gone, or you're getting a spanking!!

Hopefully having diffused a little tension, Koiper looks at Lorf. I know it doesn't sit well with your view of honor, so if you'd rather hand his things to me, and then head back to protect Eli & the crowd, it can work that way too.

[roll0]

casualcryptic
2015-05-22, 04:56 PM
"Oh, a drunkard are we?" Niz asks with thinly veiled disdain. "This will be a long journey for you then, I think." As the group draws close the edge of the forest, Niz becomes less flippant, more quiet, and falls to the back of the group. His sense of self preservation overwhelming his sense of pride. He hadn't survived a hundred years hunting thes shallows of these woods without prioritizing survival above all else.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-22, 05:11 PM
Morag walks second from the back, instinctively seeking to shield herself at the centre of the group.

"North-west, then? Goblins are smaller than trolls, aren't they?"

casualcryptic
2015-05-22, 06:57 PM
Morag walks second from the back, instinctively seeking to shield herself at the centre of the group.

"North-west, then? Goblins are smaller than trolls, aren't they?"

Niz responds almost instinctively. "Much. Much smarter too. And they group in much greater number."

Inevitability
2015-05-23, 12:53 AM
"Fine. You keep an eye on the savage forest-spawn, and I keep an eye on two hundred people in need of protection. Can't say I envy you there."

Lorf hands over the items to Koiper, then walks back towards Eli and the other townsfolk.

By now, a few dozen people have gathered to watch you leave.

Morag spots her brother and his wife standing at the back of the crowd. A moment later, she discovers Libby standing a bit away from her parents. The half-elf grins, then throws Morag an apple.

Au-Ruk spots Elena and Aethelstan, the latter leaning on his oaken walking stick. Both smile as they meet his eyes.

Niz sees some of his fellow hunters, their expressions ranging from pity and fear to anger and envy.

Koiper spots a few of the schoolchildren he teaches. The youngsters smile and wave, then run of to play. A few other people laugh at his new self-proclaimed status as 'lawkeeper'.

And Kuthili... Kuthili can just make out Eli in the back of the crowd. The elder looks directly at the Killoren, then nods.

As you reach the forest edge, a hush falls over the crowd. The villagers expectantly look at you, curious to see who'll take the first step.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-23, 05:47 AM
Kuthili was the one to make the first step. Maybe because he had noone to say farewell to. He had seen Eli. But his opinion for this man was specific. He was like a lion that broke off his claws and teeth willingly.
He donned his armor, made from deer leather. He threw his snow fox fur and his bag on his back. Then he put the axes on his belt, ready for use. All this weight: he had surely missed it.
He approached a big tree. In the blink of an eye, he drew his axe and carved a X on the trunk. "See this? in case we split up or we can't talk, this means its NOT safe here and I have come this way.
Afterwards, he carved another X. If you see XX, it means its safe. You don't drop your guard, but at least you are not in immediate danger. If I am alone, I leave these symbols every ten trees or two hundred feet in the open, on rocks or fallen woods. Remember, MY feet. Might be a long distance. These symbols are also used by woodcutters to mark if the tree is good or bad to cut, but my symbols are a lot smaller, made from a tomahawk and not from a chopping axe.
He touched the tree with his hands and close his eyes, concentrating.
Hello there, friend. Surely you have seen many dozen winters and I express my respect, for i don't know if I will reach such an age. I am not one of the woodcutters that cut your kind, and I am sorry if I made these marks to you. With my marks, you are safe from cutting, but the stupid people here one day or another may try to cut you down eventually. I seek your wisdom and your advice, not to help these people, but for the good of the forest. For if the forest has become much more dangerous like I've learned, noone is safe.
What news carry the winds on your leaves?
What you learn from the soil in your roots?

Inevitability
2015-05-23, 06:33 AM
The tree Kuthili touches trembles for a moment, and a light breeze rustles its crown. A single leaf falls to the ground.

"The moving ones live their short lives... They eat, sleep, breed, and die... Sometimes, they are small and furry and hide my children underground... Other times, they have wings and feathers, and build houses between my branches... Some moving ones kill my brothers and use them for houses, and like them you look most... Yet the moving ones never talk to me... Why do you?"

For a moment, everything is silent. Then, the tree continues.

"You tell me of danger. What danger do you mean? The danger of the moving ones with their metal claws? The danger of being hit by lightning? The danger of a fatal illness? Those are as present as they used to be in the past."

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-23, 06:49 AM
Trees are trees. You can learn some, you can learn nothing. A tree in a village can't know a lot more than a villager. Or not?

True enough. Yet these people here seek some supply traders, and they decided to sent a company with me to find them, or find food. And though I think another brother of you might know more, do you know from which direction come the most birds? From where the wind brings deer smell and sweat? Thank you for your time. May the water in your roots be plenty and the sun in your leaves everyday.

Kuthili afterwards opens his eyes and steps back.

Inevitability
2015-05-23, 07:44 AM
"The moving ones in the sky, they come from the sunless horizon... But I the moving ones with hooves and antlers, those are not nearby... Only when one of the moving ones who kill my brothers brings them here, cold and unmoving, do I sense those..."

"I thank you for your kind words, moving one who talks, yet I do not hope you succeed. I fear the moving ones who kill my brothers... To have them disappear would be a blessing to me..."

The breeze disappears, and the tree no longer moves.

casualcryptic
2015-05-23, 10:09 AM
Niz turns back to the other hunters and performs a smileless half-wave before continuing on. There is little mirth about him now, so close to the forest. He's hunted the woods to laugh off the possibility of grizzly death. As Kithili explains his system Niz responds with a simple "fine." He seems to be more interested in watching their surroundings than listening to their guide. Of all the members of the group, Niz considers himself to be the only one who doesn't need a guide.

As the tree starts to quiver in Kithili's touch, and though he does not know what is happening Niz's eyes narrow sleightly, though he still watches the woodline, even as he speaks. "Witchcraft all about, it seems. Does anyone else wonder if Eli picked the group he most desired to be rid of, rather than the one best suited for the job? I mean, we're talking about the most fatal quest our little village has available, and the lord chooses a witch, a savage, a lecher, and whatever you call Au-Ruk. This group doesn't exactly match the village's mold. As for myself, hunting is a pety business. The more successful you are, the more rumors get tossed about. By this point I can only imagine what they are saying about me."

SlyJohnny
2015-05-23, 10:59 AM
Morag manages to avoid catching her brother's eye. He understands, of course. She hopes.

Libby, on the other hand, is not having any of that, and positions herself so Morag makes eye contact with her. Morag manages a smile, despite herself. She catches the apple and steps over to Libby, bending down to kiss her forehead. She speaks to the girl in Elvish,

"Do not do anything too stupid while I am gone, little sand cat. Your parents will be worried and distracted; that means you can get away with more, but will be in more trouble if you are caught."

She glances over at her brother and his wife. "Tell them I said goodbye." She hurries off after the group.

---

She nods respectfully to Koiper after Lorf heads away. "That, woodcutter, was artfully done. I did not expect it of you. Your cunning tongue is good for more than pleasing witless seamstresses, it seems. What other talents have you been keeping quiet?"

She glances at the killoren as he performs his queer ritual, but doesn't question it. She keeps her eyes out on the forest around them rather than exchanging looks with her companions, but she glances sideways at Niz when he speaks up. She sidles closer to him and murmurs quietly,

"It has crossed my mind too. We are competent, but not essential to the functioning of the village. Ultimately, it does not matter what they think of us, or we think of each other. I am here for my brother and my brother's child, not these peasants. They are no family of mine. But we're all in this together now, and we must depend on each other as if we were blood, or we are going to die out here."

casualcryptic
2015-05-23, 11:27 AM
Niz sighed as Morage explained her rationale. "I don't disagree."

HerbertWest
2015-05-23, 12:59 PM
Au-Ruk enters the forest with them, waving a farewell to Elena and Aethelstan, before focusing on the task at hand. The neanderthal doesn't speak, he simply listens to the others having their conversations and speaking with each other. He doesn't have anything to contribute to the conversation, therefore he doesn't speak. The Cleric nods to Kuthili's markings system, pulling his shield onto his right arm, but leaves his left hand free for now.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-23, 05:09 PM
The savage smelled the air and looked around. Too many people, too many feet on the ground. Meaningless to try tracking something here.

"So I'll go first to scout. The second shouldn't be more than a dozen feet behind me, and that goes for the rest too. Place yourselves as you want, but I'd prefer the hunter on the back. He seems adept at the forest ways." And pointed at Niz.

"Follow me." And started walking down the path.

trysted
2015-05-23, 05:30 PM
Lecher? You exaggerate...But perhaps you have a point, Niz. Let me ask you, if you were a married elder and you had a dangerous mission to be done, wouldn't you want someone like me to be on it? The easiest way to compete with me, is simply not to.

Morag, never underestimate witless seamstresses. Seamstresses know everything that happens in a town, and who to turn to when they want something done right. As for other talents, yes they do stay quiet. But unfortunately, being a great hunter is not one of them. So when I say that I value the hunters with us, I speak honestly.

And now it seems our friend has a plan, now that he has his weapons. I for one, shall shut up and follow it.

Koiper falls into line behind Niz (presuming Niz is behind Kuthili).

Inevitability
2015-05-25, 01:23 AM
http://wiredtotheworld.net/OTRA/Alaska2008/Pictures/2008-07-02%20QCI-PR/ForestPrimeval.jpg

The five hunters depart at last, setting of to the west. For a few minutes, the sounds of the village remain audible in the distance, but they quickly fade away.

The woods are dense, and little light is able to pierce the foliage. That what does shows an old-growth forest. The only thing revealing humanity's close proximity is the occasional tree stump.

A few small birds flutter around high above your heads, but no other animals can be seen.

If anyone tries to look for tracks, please specify what kind of tracks you are looking for.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-25, 06:01 AM
The forest. Home. The only house I ever needed. Also the biggest. Good to be back. The birds singing, the leaves playing their subtle sound, the grass, with a smell of its own. But this time not alone. With four others, all strange in their own way. And loud. Very loud. But you have to work with what you have.

Survival check: [roll0]

"Try to remain as silent as you can. Its difficult, but it will be for good cause. Forest cane be dangerous, and we need not inform anyone in one mile that we are here, just because someone laughed or screamed."

He stopped for a while, drinking from his waterskin and then looked the ground. He searched on the path for human tracks: boots mainly. The tree was a bit specific: no deer near the town. Maybe a hunter or a woodcutter came this way.

Survival check:[roll1]

Inevitability
2015-05-25, 06:16 AM
Kuthili can't discover any traces of human passage.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-25, 11:37 AM
Morag remains alert, watching the treeline as Kuthili picks around in the dirt.

She muses to herself that so far they've seen no signs of anything hostile. Maybe the forest's reputation is overblown by generations of credulous idiots telling campfire stories. Maybe this will be easy.

HerbertWest
2015-05-25, 12:03 PM
Au-Ruk still remained silent as the grave, besides his armor jingling with each step. When Kuthili stops to look for tracks, Au-Ruk does the same. Rather than looking for where other humans may have traveled through the woods, Au-Ruk is looking for the tracks of wolves. It stood to reason that the wolf packs went where the food is.

[roll0]

casualcryptic
2015-05-25, 01:03 PM
Place yourselves as you want, but I'd prefer the hunter on the back. He seems adept at the forest ways." And pointed at Niz.

Niz's eyes narrowed. He had little interest in what the savage thought he should or shouldn't do. Fortunately for him, however, the back of the group was precisely where Niz wanted to be. As a result, he simply replies "As you like."

Lecher? You exaggerate...But perhaps you have a point, Niz. Let me ask you, if you were a married elder and you had a dangerous mission to be done, wouldn't you want someone like me to be on it? The easiest way to compete with me, is simply not to.

[COLOR="#800000"]The easiest way to compete with you is to let your mouth hang open, Niz thought fleetingly as they started the journey in earnest.

As the savage and the barbarian begin the tracking process, Niz watches the edge of the treeline and listens. Despite Kuthili's warning, it was impossible for this bumbling group to be quiet, between their speach and Au-Ruk's armor. He worried someone might hear them.

Active Spotting
[roll0]
Active Listening
[roll1]

Inevitability
2015-05-25, 01:55 PM
Niz listens and looks, but is unable to discern anything.

Au-Ruk's search is successful. After spending some time searching his surroundings, the neanderthal discovers a few wolf prints, all pointing northeast. Judging from the prints, the group consisted of at least three wolves, probably more.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-25, 03:36 PM
"Noone has passed through here recently, as far as I can tell. We are coming deeper into the forest. I' ll leave a mark here, just in case."

And carved XX on a tree, while studying it (age, type and anything strange or unnatural).

[roll0]

Then he turned to the rest, who have stopped briefly.

"We continue on the same route?"

HerbertWest
2015-05-25, 03:46 PM
Au-Ruk looks up at the group from his knelt position, pointing out the lupine tracks that are embedded in the forest's floor to them. He places his large fingers in the tracks softly, checking the size and number of the predatory animals.

"Wolves went this way. Three, maybe more. Could be a pack. They may lead us to the herds."

The Cleric then points out the tracks that continue to the northeast, before standing up again to hear the group's consensus and thoughts.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-25, 04:51 PM
Morag looks down at the indisctinct mud, her keen eyes failing to reveal a distinct trail. "I'll take your word for it, Au-Ruk. But I'd like an idea of whether the wolves were headed back to their den or towards a water hole before we spend a day tracking wolves. What about actual game trails? Any sign of deer, or wild pig?"

casualcryptic
2015-05-25, 06:09 PM
Niz thought for a moment before speaking. "You can eat wolf. The meat's tough and it's not nourishing food, but it will keep you from starving, and it's not terrible. It may be worth hunting them, just to keep them from huntin us. Not to mention that we could probably trade the pelts in town."

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-25, 06:23 PM
An unnecessary hunt. Hunting wolves. These people call me savage, yet they just want to kill whatever is moving here and isn't their kin. Winter and famine can make everyone a marauding beast.

"Hunting wolves is always risky. If these wolves come from a greater pack, hunters will be hunted. More likely, they will find feed our bodies. But if that is your decision, I can track them. Have faced wolves before. Anyway, our choices are limited, and they may lead us to a deer herd."

Kuthili pointed to the trail Neanderthal showed.

"OR, they can lead us to the traders, if this leads far east. Or whats left of them."

A twisted grin appeared in his face.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-25, 06:30 PM
Morag rises from where she was kneeling by the prints.

"Perhaps that is wise." she says in response to Niz. "I am not too familiar with the fauna of these climes, but if wolves are anything like hyenas, a pack of them may be too many to kill. Three, we can handle, but more?"

She looks to Kuthili as he speaks. "Wrong direction entirely for the traders. They would've come from the south east. Can't imagine wolves would attack a caravan."

Morag muses about what she knows of wolves, specifically whether they all hunt together in packs, and whether a minimum of three wolves implies the presence of a much larger number.

Knowledge: Nature [roll0]

Inevitability
2015-05-26, 11:25 AM
Kuthili can't find anything unusual about the three. It's an oak, maybe a century old.

Morag knows most wolves hunt in packs of at least half a dozen, though she isn't sure how common smaller groups are.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-26, 11:39 AM
“Wolves usually hunt in packs of at least half a dozen, often more. This trail could lead to more wolves than we can fight. Even six would be a challenge.”

Morag looks over at the treeline, shifting her weight around. Standing still makes her impatient, or nervous, or both.

“If you can't find a game trail here I would prefer to head north to where we know there will be good hunting rather than follow an uncertain number of wolves and compete with them for whatever they're after, which may only be smaller game.”

casualcryptic
2015-05-26, 11:44 AM
Niz shrugs. "Either way a group that large is a threat, more of a threat if they start hunting us rather than the other way around. If we can't take them on directly, then we need to avoid them entirely. The question then becomes whether or not we are capable of moving quietly enough not to attract their attention."

trysted
2015-05-26, 12:40 PM
I'm not an expert on any of this, but I do so very much like the idea of our hunters tracking the wolves than the wolves tracking us. Whether we want to go after them, or want to avoid them, I'm thinking either way we want to know where they all.

But I shall defer to the decisions of the hunters we have with us. Even someone who is nothing more than a pretty face knows that it is best to let the experts decide.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-26, 02:50 PM
Morag shrugs. "Wolf-meat for dinner it is, then. Lead on after the wolf tracks."

She turns, patting one of the large horses on the side of it's head. "Perhaps we can use one of the horses to bait them into a trap. Would you like that, you great beast?" She croons to it.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-26, 04:08 PM
Hah. They use horses for bait. Can't say I'm surprised.

"If you want to trap them, we need to reach them first. If that is your decision, then, I will track this trail."

Kuthili touched the tracks, smelled it and tried to remember all he knows about wolves.

[roll0]

He approached the horses and brushed their heads.

All will be fine, now. The road might be long and tireful, but you got nothing to fear for the moment. If these people try to hurt you, I'll inform you first. You can trust me.

He then starts tracking the trail. "Follow me. Keep close."

(includes favored enemy bonus) [roll1]

trysted
2015-05-26, 08:56 PM
Koiper doesn't say anything (for a change) but follows Kuthili, doing his best to not make any noise.

[roll]1d20+5[/roll)

trysted
2015-05-26, 08:58 PM
Typing redo

[roll0]

Inevitability
2015-05-27, 12:10 AM
"Forest dark. Forest bad. Never go to forest, why now we go? Smells are bad. Shadows are bad. Forest is bad."

Kuthili knows wolves are predators with sharp teeth who hunt in packs. They swarm an enemy, then drag it to the ground and kill it. Larger enemies are killed by repetitive bites.

The party then sets off to the northeast and travels for most of a day without incident. As the day progresses, the tracks become fresher and fresher. Eventually, the tracks lead to a clearing, where two wolves can be seen standing.

I'll get up a map as soon as possible. For now, assume you haven't been noticed yet, but the wolves are a good distance away.

casualcryptic
2015-05-27, 10:30 AM
While they are still a large distance away Niz speaks up. "We aren't all stealth experts. We may not be able to sneak our entire group up on them. Per haps me or Lthulhi should get close enough to survey their numbers. We could possibly lead them back to the group if there aren't too many."

[roll0]

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-27, 10:37 AM
"Seems good enough for me. Go ahead. I'll follow half the distance and climb a tree. If you can take down anyone while they sleep, much the better. The rest of you, prepare for battle. These beasts are hungry: they can fight to the death."

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-27, 10:41 AM
[roll0]

[roll1]

If this succeeds, he stops at 10 feet above ground.

Inevitability
2015-05-27, 11:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/e3GXhiL.png

Assume all dark green squares contain light undergrowth (concealment, move at half speed, -2 to move silently and tumble) and trees (+2 to AC, +1 to reflex saves). The light green squares are tall grass, but it isn't long enough to influence combat.

Wolves marked with a red spot are asleep.

You are about sixty feet away from the wolves, somewhere around row 20.

Kuthili and Niz sneak through the undergrowth, unnoticed by the wolves. The Killoren then climbs a nearby tree with visible ease, ending a few meters up. From there, it is clear that in addition to the two wolves visible from the ground, four more are sleeping. The awake wolves seem to be focused mostly on the east and north, with less regard for the south and west.

I edited my previous post a bit with regards to the sleeping wolves being visible, so sorry if the sequence seems weird now. I'll try to keep such mistakes to a minimum in the future.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-27, 03:40 PM
Before the others creep off, Morag murmurs, "Your hearts are still set on this idea, then? Very well. If they all rush you, I will conjure some grease to slow them down... strike for those that fall. If they do not do so immediately, I will try to imprison the bulk of them in an illusion so you need not fight them all at once. But they will try to break apart and flank us. Do not let them."

Morag flattens herself against a tree and watches her allies approach. She prepares to cast an Silent Image spell as soon as the rest of the wolves reveal themselves.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-27, 04:36 PM
Kuthili draws a throwing axe, ready to throw it as soon as a wolf reaches 20 feet.

After he weaves his head at the others on the back, when they are ready he nods silently at Niz to initiate.

He tries to hide on the tree's leaves.

[roll0]

trysted
2015-05-27, 07:05 PM
Koiiper follows Kuthili, and then moves laterally to be 10 feet away from him (in the opposite direction of Niz.

He watches Kuthili, and waits for the nod. When the nod occurs, he summons a swarm of rats between the nearest wolf and the group.

[roll0]

casualcryptic
2015-05-28, 12:44 PM
Niz motions for Kuthili to edge up with him, maneuvering to the very edge of the canopy but not beyond the treeline. Niz leans against a tree, just as Kuthli was (possibly is) doing, then notches his bow, raises it level, steadies his breathing, holds for but a moment, and fires an arrow at the first of the two conscious wolves.

Positioning Niz at H11 and Firing at the wolf at H5. Unless I'm very much mistaken it should be flatfooted.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Sneak Attack:
[roll2]

Inevitability
2015-05-29, 12:31 AM
Everyone quietly sneaks into position, what little sound they make overshadowed by the forest's background noise. A moment, nothing happens, but then Niz then fires an arrow at the wolf nearest to him. The projectile pierces the wolf's fur and draws some blood, but the animal is far from dead.

Before the canines have any chance to respond, though, dozens of rats swarm from the forest and cover the frontmost wolves, viciously biting their prey.

Wolves [roll0]
Rat swarm [roll1]
Niz [roll2]
Koiper [roll3]
Morag [roll4]
Au-Ruk [roll5]
Kuthili [roll6]

Kuthili
Morag
Niz/Koiper
Rat swarm
Wolves
Au-Ruk

Wolf 1: 5 damage.
Wolf 2: 0 damage
Wolf 3: 0 damage
Wolf 4: 2 damage
Wolf 5: 2 damage
Wolf 6: 2 damage (FF 1)

Rat swarm: 0 damage

http://i.imgur.com/8r8i8V6.png

All wolves are awake now, but those with a blue dot are still prone (and most of these have the additional subproblem of being eaten alive).

Morag had a readied action for casting Silent Image, but since the wolves won't be all visible at the start of her turn yet it didn't trigger. The same goes for Kuthili's unresolved attack.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-29, 09:51 AM
Morag moves to cast the spell but hesitates, surprised at Koiper's display of magical prowess. Whatever magic he has is good for more than amusing children. If they're getting bitten by vermin they'll be less likely to be contained by an illusion... hmm.

Out of range for her other spells, Morag jogs closer, her unusually long legs wading in deep strides through the tall grass. She makes ready to throw a small orb of acid and some accompanying conjured smoke at whichever wolf charges the group first.

Moving 20ft north as a move action, and readying an action to cast Acid Splash to fire at the first wolf that approaches within two squares of any member of the party, with Cloudy Conjuration smoke to appear in the square adjacent to the ally that they appeared to be heading towards.

Dras Kvaal
2015-05-29, 10:24 AM
Kuthili keeps waiting, axe in hand ready to throw at first who approaches.

Patience always pays off. But rats? How? This fellow also uses magic?

If he has time, he makes a spot check for the wolves' condition. (Tired, hungry, old, gender)

[roll0] (includes favored enemy bonus)

trysted
2015-05-29, 01:52 PM
Koiper stays behind his tree and keeps his concentration for the swarm going.

Inevitability
2015-05-29, 03:13 PM
Kuthili finds observing the wolves hard, with the distance, the trees, and the current battle all contributing to that, but does notice the wolves seem well-fed.

I'm just waiting for CC to post, then I can finally let those wolves act (grumble natural 1 on initiative grumble).

casualcryptic
2015-05-29, 04:03 PM
Niz's eyes widened, but he knew better than to look a gift horse in the mouth. He knew that many members of his team were more than they seemed, and hoped that one of them were responsible. In any case, the wolves seemed the larger threat. He notched another arrow and let fly.

Sorry, figured my initial action counted towards my actions for round 1.

Firing a second shot, same target as the first. No sneak attack this time. Being swarmed isn't enough of a distraction for a sneak attack right?

AttacK:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

HerbertWest
2015-05-29, 04:34 PM
Sorry for the lack of posting on my part. I had some issues with my ISP saying they didn't get my monthly payment and cutting my service off out of nowhere. I'm back up and running now, and will post when it is Au-Ruk's initiative.

Inevitability
2015-05-30, 10:20 AM
Niz fires another arrow, but his aim is off and the projectile misses.

The rats continue to swarm and bite, scattering to attack more wolves.

The wolves finally respond to the sudden attack. Those under attack by the rats manage to stand up, then attack the swarming rodents. While many rats are killed, even more remain alive.

Wolf 3: [roll0] [roll1]
Wolf 4: [roll2] [roll3]
Wolf 5: [roll4] [roll5]
Wolf 6: [roll6] [roll7]

The wolf attacked by Niz spots the elf and charges, jaws snapping wildly. The animal grieviously injures the rogue, tearing away a small chunk of flesh from his leg. Niz barely remains standing, despite the injury and the animal's attempt to drag him to the ground.

[roll8] [roll9] Crit for double damage!

Concealment (1-4 misses): [roll10]

If the attack hits, the wolf gets a free trip attempt.

Strength check: [roll11]

The final wolf charges Koiper and is welcomed with a handaxe and an acid orb to the face, which brings it down before it even gets a chance to attack.

First, Kuthili can make a free handaxe attack.

[roll12], [roll13]
Concealment (1-4 misses): [roll14]

Then, Morag casts Acid Splash.

[roll15], [roll16]
Concealment (1-4 misses): [roll17]

Providing the wolf lives through that, it gets to attack Koiper.

[roll18], [roll19]
Concealment (1-4 misses): [roll20]

If the attack hits, the wolf gets a free trip attempt.

Strength check: [roll21]

Wolf 1: 5 damage. (-2 AC)
Wolf 2: -1 HP (unconscious)
Wolf 3: 4 damage
Wolf 4: 6 damage (FF 2)
Wolf 5: 6 damage
Wolf 6: 6 damage (FF 1)

Rat swarm: 9 damage

http://i.imgur.com/DbXI0Fo.png

In case attack bonuses seem wonky, I made the AC bonus from being in a forest a penalty to attack rolls to make the die rolling easier.

Kuthili's attack wouldn't have hit if it weren't for him being hidden.

trysted
2015-05-30, 01:13 PM
Koiper watches the wolf die in front of him, and steps to the side, maintaining his focus on the swarm while making a mental note: I need to return that tomahawk to Kuthili. Chances are, he's better with two.

SlyJohnny
2015-05-30, 04:38 PM
Seeing that the wolves are either being handily beaten or are distracted by fighting the rats, Morag decides to save her magic. She advances forward 15 feet, and keeps an eye on the wolves battling the rats, readying herself to cast Grease the moment one of them breaks from battling the rats. Otherwise, she is content to let the group handle this.

casualcryptic
2015-05-31, 11:09 PM
Niz turns pale as he sees his own blood, well paler than he usually is even. He stumbles back a few steps and tries his best to murder the beast that struck him before it ends him.

Attack and Damage including Point Blank Shot
[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Forgot to explicitly state that the above references a five foot step.

HerbertWest
2015-06-01, 10:03 AM
Au-Ruk, seeing Niz take the hit from the wolf, steps up to start closing the distance, and help his comrades. He steps up as well as his armor allows, and says a quiet prayer while his hands make sigils in the air. The holy symbol of Ysvasis around his neck flashes for an instant, and then fades.

Bless

Level: Clr 1, Pal 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 50 ft.
Area: The caster and all allies within a 50-ft. burst, centered on the caster
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Bless fills your allies with courage. Each ally gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Bless counters and dispels bane.

Moving to space F14

Dras Kvaal
2015-06-01, 11:12 AM
An acid attack? I will never get used to this.

Kuthili focuses his attention on the troubled rogue. He draws a second axe and throws it at the injured wolf in front of Niz (H10)

If it is possible, he moves 5 feet on the tree trunk ahead (H14) to reduce the range penalty. Since Niz stepped back before this second attack, he doesn't suffer the -4 attack for melee combat.
Climb check (if there is space to move): [roll0]

Numbers include bless, range penalty, favored enemy and not cover:
attack: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]

trysted
2015-06-01, 01:49 PM
Koiper looks to see if Niz is still in trouble

Koiper Summons a fresh swarm (bats this time)

Koiper Uses Eldritch blast on the wolf in front of Niz

[roll0] Ranged Touch Attack (Precise Shot)
[roll1]

Inevitability
2015-06-03, 12:31 AM
Au-Ruk joins the battle! After his spell fills the party with courage and confidence, the cleric moves forward through the thick vegetation.

Kuthili carefully moves over a thick branch and throws another axe, but it misses the quickly moving wolf.

Morag, too, moves closer to melee, keeping her magic ready while Koiper remains focusing on his swarm.

Niz shoots an arrow at the wolf, which strikes true. Even after being shot twice, the wolf isn't dead yet, though.

The swarm... swarms. Big surprise there.

The wolves continue attacking the swarm.

1d20+3[roll0]
1d20+3[roll1]
1d20+3[roll2]
1d20+3

A bigger issue, however, is the wolf menacing Niz! The animal jumps at the elf who shot him twice, fangs bared. Fortunately for Niz, the attack misses.

[roll]1d20+3][roll4] [roll5] (1 misses)

Wolf 1: 9 damage.
Wolf 2: -2 HP (unconscious)
Wolf 3: 5 damage
Wolf 4: 7 damage (FF 2)
Wolf 5: 7 damage (FF 3)
Wolf 6: 7 damage (FF 1)

Rat swarm: 14 damage

http://i.imgur.com/xZQU71b.png

SlyJohnny
2015-06-03, 07:41 PM
Morag darts forward, looping behind the wolf. She crouches low in the grass and hisses at it, aiming to distract it...

Withdraw action, moving behind the wolf so as to provide a flanking bonus to Kuthili or anyone else that winds up meleeing it.

casualcryptic
2015-06-06, 10:53 AM
Despite the raw horror of the situation, Niz couldn't help feel embarassed. Things had certainly not gone according to plan. Of all the targets, the wolves had attacked the archer, and perhaps that was his own fault for being at the forefront of the skirmish. Nevertheless, it was taxing him. Even disregarding his injuries, which were not shallow, he was already down two arrows and as he stumbled back again, this time getting dangerously close to Koipler's position, he was beginning to notch a third.

Wait with the group. No more playing hero for this half-dead scoundrel.

5 Foot step and fire on wolf again.

Modifiers:
Bless: +1 Attack
Point Blank Shot: +1 Attack, +1 Damage

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Dras Kvaal
2015-06-06, 12:46 PM
This wolf is strange. He doesn't seem hungry, yet he attacks this fellow with 2 arrows on its pelt. Seems he needs more immediate help.

Kuthili draws and grabs his battleaxe two-handed and jumps from the tree in front of the wolf.
Jump check to land in front of wolf: [roll0] (no running start)
Jump check to avoid falling damage: [roll1]
charge attack: [roll2]
charge damage: [roll3] (numbers include favored enemy, charge, higher ground, bless and flank)
falling damage: [roll4] (if it applies on me or on the wolf)

Kuthili try to reach the other wolves as close as possible while on the tree. (2 move actions, E10 square if possible)
Climb: [roll5]
Jump: [roll6] (if needed between trees)