PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Spruce up a Monk: Fist of Zuoken, Sacred Fist or Swordsage Multi-Class

Pax_Chi
2007-04-20, 11:54 PM
Hey folks, been a while.

One look at my avatar will tell you I'm a fan or martial arts, and I'm a fan of the concept behind the Monk class, even if I think the execution could use some work. So with that in mind, I'm curious of these two official Prestige Classes and Book of Nine Swords Core Class, what's the best way to take the standard Monk class and make him a bit more of an effective adventurer?

The Sacred Fist gives him access to divine Magic, making him a good back up healer with a lot of dangerous abilities given how many Divine Spells are Touch based. He also gets a full BAB score which helps make him a better front line fighter while preventing him from outshining the Fighters, Paladins, Rangers or Barbarians in BAB rank. Plus, it encourages players to get a high Wisdom to enhance both the Monks abilities and the Cleric's spells.

The Fist of Zuoken lacks the BAB of the Sacred Fist, but the Monk's focus on meditation and inner searching makes Psionics a good source of power for them, fitting the concept as well as the execution.

The Swordsage makes for an excellent alternative to the Monk class altogether, though combined with the monks abilities they make for a formidable pair. They too are stuck with a medium BAB, but the martial arts techniques fits the Shao-Lin esque martial artist Monks are based on. Someone really needs to make a Book of Nine Swords Prestige Class with Monks in mind.

Frankly, given how many levels of Monk and other classes the character would have to take to have access to the Prestige classes, most of them should have a full BAB to balance out the Monk's innate lack of one compared to the other fighters, but that's an old gripe I've had for a while, so don't mind me. :smallbiggrin:

So with that having been thrown out, which of these three, in your mind, is the best upgrade a Monk can recieve? And are there other, official Prestige classes out there that might better improve a Monk than these?

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-20, 11:57 PM
Basically, take Swordsage. Forget "multi-classing", just take Swordsage; use the Unarmed Strike adaptation, and you'll be like a monk but better in every way.

1337_master
2007-04-21, 12:01 AM
Don't water down your Monk...ish blood with that "Prestige class" Filth. Monks are great, and you can't change that.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-21, 12:11 AM
Great... at what, exactly?

Macrovore
2007-04-21, 12:17 AM
hitting stuff while naked and in an antimagic field.

JoeFredBob
2007-04-21, 12:21 AM
Please don't start that bears. It's been hashed into the ground plenty.

Anyway, I personally think the fist of zuoken looks fun. I haven't personally played using psionics (yet), but it seems to have a lot of good buff-type powers, which is the sort of stuff you want to use when you're a partial caster. It also doesn't require multi-classing to enter, so you don't lose progression on unarmed strike damage etc.

The_Snark
2007-04-21, 12:26 AM
Sacred Fist and Fist of Zuoken are both workable classes, giving some nice buffing abilities to the monk; the Sacred Fist requires a bit of multiclassing first, though.

Multiclassing with swordsage doesn't sound like a great idea, because you can't use strikes while using flurry of blows. If you're going to use the swordsage, make it a plain, non-multiclassed swordsage and select maneuvers as is thematically appropriate (probably Setting Sun and whatever others you feel like).

Pax_Chi
2007-04-21, 12:33 AM
Please don't start that bears. It's been hashed into the ground plenty.

Anyway, I personally think the fist of zuoken looks fun. I haven't personally played using psionics (yet), but it seems to have a lot of good buff-type powers, which is the sort of stuff you want to use when you're a partial caster. It also doesn't require multi-classing to enter, so you don't lose progression on unarmed strike damage etc.

Some good points here. All you need is the Wild Talent Psionic Feat and a 6th level Monk can jump right in to the Class. Inertial Armor, Inertial Barrier and Force Screen all are good defense buffs, while things like Weapon of Energy make for great unarmed strike buffs. Not to mention you can use feats to get things like Touch Sight and other powers that are very Monk-ish.

I think it should be house ruled that if you took levels in Psi-Warrior, your levels of that stack with the Fist of Zuoken levels.

Pax_Chi
2007-04-21, 12:37 AM
Sacred Fist and Fist of Zuoken are both workable classes, giving some nice buffing abilities to the monk; the Sacred Fist requires a bit of multiclassing first, though.

True, but you really only need to take one level in Cleric to get access to it, which isn't such a bad sacrifice all things being equal, save for having to spend 2 levels with a +0 BAB.

Multiclassing with swordsage doesn't sound like a great idea, because you can't use strikes while using flurry of blows. If you're going to use the swordsage, make it a plain, non-multiclassed swordsage and select maneuvers as is thematically appropriate (probably Setting Sun and whatever others you feel like).

True, they offer some ways to make the Swordsage more Monkly in the book, which basically amounts to giving them the Monk's Unarmed damage progression at the cost of the weapon proficiencies.

I really wish they'd come out with a Book of Nine Swords sourcebook, maybe expand on the technique lists, add new styles and bring in some more Prestige classes, especially one designed with the Monk in mind.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-21, 12:44 AM
FoZ is a good PrC, although I highly suggest to the Monk that he not go into it until level 11. Why? Simple... he wants his perfect flurry.

Force Screen and Inertial Armor are both very good defensive buffs, but a friendly caster with Mage Armor or Bracers of Armor can replace Inertial Armor. Force Screen is good, but Biofeedback is the true gem at 1st level for defensive buffs. Monk only has a D8 HD, which is bad for a melee class. DR 2/- can help invaluabally against hordes of mooks, shrugging off lesser blows. Augmenting manifestation to get more DR is good as well.

For offensive, grab Expansion. Large and eventually Huge sized fists. Combine this with Improved Natural Attack or Superior Unarmed Strike (from ToB) for truely sick damage output.

For level 2: Psionic Lion's Charge lets him do a full flurry on a charge, which allows him to take maximum advantage of his greater number of attacks and his mobility.

While we're at it, Strength of My Enemy is handy for the sheer number of attacks he will be making

Hustle is good to get a move action after a full attack on a charge to get the flock out of there so you're not in melee range.

For level 3: Empathic Transfer, Hostile. Heal yourself and hurt him... all in one move.

However...

Swordsage pwns Monk. There is absolutely *NO* reason why you should multiclass Monk/Swordsage if you can just go straight Swordsage. Go unarmed variant, which sacrifices light armor for full monk unarmed attack progression.

And there is a monk/swordsage PrC... it's called the Shadow Sun Ninja. Probably one of the worst PrC's in the book.

Pax_Chi
2007-04-21, 01:02 AM
And there is a monk/swordsage PrC... it's called the Shadow Sun Ninja. Probably one of the worst PrC's in the book.

Okay, then let me re-phrase that: A ToB PrC that DOESN'T suck and is geared towards making a martial arts Monk rather than a ninja.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-21, 01:02 AM
Swordsage. Hands down. Superior Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick substitute for monk just fine, but if you already have a monk, then definitely swordsage multiclass.

Grab Setting Sun maneuvers to help you press the attack. A few Stone Dragon maneuvers have excellent monk flavor, and when combined with Stunning Fist or the Decisive Strike variant, they can make for some serious bruisage.

EDIT: In response to you simupost, no. ToB is still in its infancy. It's kind of like Jesus. It's just a baby, but we know it's going to save the world any time now. As such, we are waiting with baited breath for its batism expansion, and we fully expect supplements to come eventually. There are only a few, very specific PrCs in the Core rulebook—which is totally okay—and are meant to give the homebrewy an idea of what to work with. Not perfect, but a good beginning.

The_Snark
2007-04-21, 01:08 AM
Eh, the Shadow Sun Ninja isn't bad, though it probably isn't quite up to Tome of Battle's other classes. It is heavily ninja-oriented, though, and had a light-and-darkness flavor that isn't possible to shake. It's a narrow concept. Cool, though. (Do you know how hard it is to get a total darkness effect normally?)

I'd make the choice based on how you see the character: if he's a religious ascetic, Sacred Fist is a good choice. If he's more of a martial artist who achieves nearly or overtly superhuman feats, Fist of Zuoken or Swordsage is probably the way to go.

Fist of Zuoken has trouble augmenting powers, though, with so few PP, until the class's highest levels. Of the two, I'd prefer a straight Swordsage.

knightsaline
2007-04-21, 01:58 AM
What about Kensai? you get some nifty abilities including ENCHANTING YOUR FISTS! make them throwing and flaming (you can make your fists throwing! its in RAW) Kensai is in Cwar

Pax_Chi
2007-04-21, 02:07 AM
What about Kensai? you get some nifty abilities including ENCHANTING YOUR FISTS! make them throwing and flaming (you can make your fists throwing! its in RAW) Kensai is in Cwar

I remember reading up on the Kensai a while back, and while I don't remember the specifics, I do remember being underwhelemed at what it offered, especially compared to the above options.

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-21, 02:15 AM
I like the Kensai options. For starters, your fists can be +5 weapons. I'd also consider enchanting them with Collision, a +2 modifier that pretty much adds 5 damage to every hit with the enchanted weapon. No dice roll, no elements to worry about, and it gets multiplied on a critical. Impact is a good +1 ability, as it is the bludgoning equivalent of keen. My personal preference for a level ten Monk/Kensai would be +4 impact collision speed fists. I think that's disturbing enough.

JaronK
2007-04-21, 02:18 AM
I'll throw in with another vote for pure Swordsage. With the unarmed varient, it's just a monk only better, with actual martial arts techniques to make things interesting.

JaronK

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-21, 02:53 AM
Kensei is a very sucky class. Average base attack and no real class features, its a poor prestige version of OA's Samurai meant to replace OA's completely differant but overpowering Kensei. Get a friendly druid to cast greater magic fang on you. You don't need impact since you can get improved critical anyway and haste is such an easy option for a wizard to buff you with that speed is a waste.

Fist of Zuoken is awesome and Sacred Fist appears overpowered.

Flawless
2007-04-21, 04:11 AM
Kensei is a very sucky class. Average base attack and no real class features, its a poor prestige version of OA's Samurai meant to replace OA's completely differant but overpowering Kensei. Get a friendly druid to cast greater magic fang on you. You don't need impact since you can get improved critical anyway and haste is such an easy option for a wizard to buff you with that speed is a waste.

Why? SaF is weaker than straight cleric and better than straight monk (which any class ought to be). So I don't see a problem with it.

Zincorium
2007-04-21, 04:25 AM

So...Being dependent on others and blowing a feat to do what you could do yourself is a good thing? Man.

Seriously, a +8 unnamed bonus to strength, as a move action? +2 to all of your allies checks? The BAB is the same as the monk's, so why bash it, and you go up a die size for hit points.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from taking +9 worth of enhancements that can't be replicated with spells and having the same greater magic fang cast.

TRM
2007-04-21, 08:18 AM
Personally I'm not to fond of the Sacred Fist, mainly the class abilities. However full BaB is pretty sweet.
I really enjoyed playing a fist of Zuoken a couple months back, the psionic powers go along well with my idea of a monk.

Of course that had absolutely nothing to do with the game statistics, but I look at flavor more than abilities.

--Me

Talya
2007-04-21, 08:33 AM
Great... at what, exactly?

Surviving. Even though the monk's signature abilities (speed and flurry) are mutually exclusive, they are quite survivable, with medium hit points, decent to-great armor class, extremely good saves, unparallelled speed and mobility.

My main issue with the monk class is their inability to utilize their flurry of blows while moving, and a monk should never stop moving. Second issue is that whole MAD thing.

In a mid-level campaign, our little halfling monk who was trip/grapple specialized (go figure) was actually ridiculously effective, especially considering his size penalities.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-21, 12:42 PM
Kensai is not a sucky class—especially for ToB characters, who generally have the Concentration skill anyway. With 10 ranks and mediocre Constitution, you get a 2/day use of +8 to strength. That's +4 to hit, and +4 to damage. NOT BAD. In addition, you can burn relatively inexpensive quantities of XP to make your fists—your undisarmable, unsunderable, unloseable fists—über magical weapons. ÜBER! The one thing that bites about the class is having to take Weapon Focus to get in, but that's overlookable—to a degree.

Sacred Fist is pretty solid, but the "delivering touch attack through unarmed strike" combo is somewhat overrated. It's NICE, yes. Quite nice, in fact, but it isn't really what you're after. Full BAB is a good thing, but Kensai offers that, as well. The smattering of divinity you can pick up through Sacred Fist pales in comparison to the power of a Monk/Sorcerer/Enlightened Fist with the Ascetic Mage feat. Lay on Hands is meh, as it always is, and, without armor and a lot of the more vital Clerical buffs, you can't stand on the front line and heal/buff/slug away like a real cleric can.

Swordsage is by far the best option available to you, just like Warblade is better than Fighter or Barbarian, and Crusader is better than Paladin and occasionally a bard, Swordsage is better than Ranger or Monk. Monks will Stone Dragon maneuvers are a terrifying sight to behold, especially when they are Shadow Jaunting about the battlefield and flinging enemy formations into dissarray with their various Setting Sun throws. The small-sized monk, once a laughable idea, with its reduced damage and speed, is now a terrifying sight to behold, as it adopts Giant-killing Stance against Medium creatures and uses grotesque quantities of leverage for brutal Setting Sun tosses, throws, and trips.

Any time is a good time to dip into Swordsage. I personally recommend going 4 levels of monk (if human or half-elf, mind you, or a monk-favoring race), then multiclassing to Swordsage so you fist 6 maneuvers can be both 1st- and 2nd-level. Believe it or not, these 6 maneuvers and one stance could probably tide you over until 8th level, at which time you could take a 2nd level of Swordsage for a 3rd-level manuever and stance, and then just PUMP swordsage all the way through, taking overpowered maneuvers as you go until, by Monk 11/Swordsage 9, you should have no 1st-level maneuvers, few 2nd-level, and a good few 3rd-level. Alternatively, you can just meander your way up both sides of the class at the same time, bumping Swordsage to 4, then Monk to 5, then Swordsage to 5, then Monk to 6... and so on, or similarly on, until you get to Monk 11/Swordsage 9. Make sure to take Superior Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick along the way, as they beautify your class, and Shadow Hand Style helps alleviate some of the infamous Monk MAD with Dex to damage. Your maneuvers won't be quite as maxed out by this method, but you will have more of them, sooner, meaning that you Monk gets "spiced up" more thoroughly at early levels.

Now, if you're a small monk (don't laugh, they work now!), you have to go slightly differently, because no small races can get away with leaving a level gap between Monk and Swordsage. I advise going 2 Monk, then 3 Swordsage, and onward and upward to around Monk 7/Swordsage 8. From there, a level of Shadowdancer is often a good choice, for Hide in Plain Sight to gain your flatfooted Shadow Hand maneuvers more often, and then either take 4 Kensei levels, or 4 Shadow Sun Ninja levels, or just keep advancing your Monk/Swordsage to 9/10. Make sure to load up on Setting Sun maneuvers to compensate for reduced damage.

PinkysBrain
2007-04-21, 12:47 PM
The divine spell list has some pretty good buffs but without cheese they all take standard actions to cast till you are very high level. Psionics are much better for a gish who wants to be ready to fight ASAP. So Fist of Zuoken > sacred fist IMO.

Pure swordsage is good too but as was said just don't bother with monk levels at all.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-21, 01:07 PM
In any party who has someone able to buff people with Greater Magic Weapon or Greater Magic Fang, being able to blow xp to enchant your fists is pointless.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-21, 01:19 PM
NO! No it isn't. Not if you use those XP points to enchant your fists with abilities other than, say enhancement bonuses. Then you can Greater Natural Fang your fists for a +5 bonus as well as having them be impact, speed, thundering, flaming, and sundering. Or whatever.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-21, 01:23 PM
NO! No it isn't. Not if you use those XP points to enchant your fists with abilities other than, say enhancement bonuses. Then you can Greater Natural Fang your fists for a +5 bonus as well as having them be impact, speed, thundering, flaming, and sundering. Or whatever.

Or I can go straight Swordsage, with Stone Dragon, and do a flat +100 damage to a strike with a maneuver. Or I could go significantly into Tiger Fang, make a Jump check, DC opponent's AC, and make a full attack on a leaping charge. Either of which will give me far more damage output than the build you described, doesn't require Multiclassing, and doesn't require me blowing XP.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-21, 01:31 PM
Ahk. Sorry. Look: I KNOW Tome of Battle is better than anything else. It's the best option in all of D+D for nonspellcasters right now. Period. I love Tome of Battle to death. It renders just about everything short of a Shock Trooping fighter obsolete.

However, I was merely defending that Kensai is not useless. Nothing pre-ToB stands up to ToB material, other than the Shock Trooping tree and maybe a well built archer or reacher. This thread is about "sprucing up a monk" not "ownage with Tome of Battle." Yes. It is a fact that the best Monk build would be a Swordsage 20, or, if you have to use Monk, a Monk 2/Swordsage 18. Or something in that vicinity. I was merely defending Kensai as a Prestige class. I know ToB is good. I'm reasonably sure everyone here has already accepted the fact that the best option is ToB. I'm just trying to be circumspect about it.

Also, bear in mind that there is no reason you can't go Swordsage 14/Kensai 6 to get +6 of enchantments and still have access to 9th-level maneuvers. But you are correct. ToB=win.

Pauwel
2007-04-21, 01:34 PM
Besides, the spending of XP will actually end up giving you a higher XP total than your party mates (it has been proven mathematically, though I can't remember how).

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-21, 01:35 PM
Full BAB is a good thing, but Kensai offers that, as well.

No it doesn't as has already been stated in this very thread. There are also spells that can give decent properties to your fists. Prevenom is a particularly nasty power you can use as well.

Monks can also buy magic gauntlets or even god-forbid use enchanted Kama or Nunchaku.

Talkkno
2007-04-21, 01:44 PM
However; here's a preety kickass monk build if you really want psionics; way better the Fist of Zurkon.
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=345741&page=6

Ramza00
2007-04-21, 02:10 PM
Another good option is

Monk 1/Sorcerer 3/Enlightened Fist 10/Abjurant Champion 5/X 1
or
Monk 1/Wizard 3/Enlightened Fist 10/Abjurant Champion 5/X 1

Important Feats
Ascetic Mage or Cardemine Monk or Kung Fu Genius so you get Int or Cha to AC
Improved Natural Attack (so your fists damage act as if they were 1 size bigger)
Superior Unarmed Strike (+4 monk levels for damage, combine with the monk belt and Monk 1+EF 10 and you have full 20 lvls of monk damage at lvl 14)
Practiced Spellcaster (Shouldn't the reason be obvious)
TWF, ITWF, GTWF add up to 3 more attacks
For rest of feats the karmic feat line+robliar gambit if I recall it is this Combat Expertise, Karmic Strike. TWF, Imp TWF, Double Hit, Robliar GambitImportant Spells
Overland Flight, 5th lvl (For mobility)
Greater Mage Armor, 3rd lvl (For AC)
Greater Magic Weapon, 3rd lvl (For more Damage)
Greater Mighty Wallop, 3rd lvl (Probably the most important spell at all, LOTS more damage, 12d8 or 54 Average damage at lvl 14 if you take Improved Natural Attack with this, this 54 average damage is just your fist damage before magic, weapon enchantments, strength, dex, etc)
Wraithstrike, 2nd lvl (So you can actually hit something if you go into melee, only go into melee if you are sure you can kill something)
Heroics, 2nd lvl, Get a fighter bonus feat and it lasts 10 mins*caster level. Use it to grab a feat that is at the end of a feat chain such as GTWF
Blood Wind, 1st lvl (Make your melee attacks act as if they were thrown attacks at 20 feet increment, thus you can use them at up to 20 feet with no penalty and every 20 feet up to 100 you take -2 penalty, note though these are still melee attacks even though you can use them as thrown thus Greater Mighty Wallop Works and you can use a Stunning Fist attempt)
Teleportation Spells Various (For mobility)
False Life, 2nd lvl Starting combat with Caster level (max 10)+1d10=15.5 Average extra hit points is very handyNote don't play this character as a Arcane Caster (even though you can) play him as a monk who uses spells to buff himself/provide options. Have a few spells as backup such as disintegrate just in case things get messy

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-21, 02:27 PM
Monks can also buy magic gauntlets or even god-forbid use enchanted Kama or Nunchaku.

Kama does d6 damage. Monk unarmed damage starts at d6 at 1st level and goes up to 2d10. By sticking with a kama, you will be wasting one of the core class abilities... improved unarmed damage. This is why no monk worthy of the title will ever seriously consider a monk weapon, save for using them to hit obscure high DR/wierd stuff (like Silver or Cold Iron).

MeklorIlavator
2007-04-21, 02:36 PM
Plus, I believe that Wizards ruled that having guantlets negates unarmed strikes, because a gauntlet is a weapon, so now you are doing 1d3+STR+whatever.

Anyway, the Kensai allows you to become the headless horseman, and thats just awesome.

Ramza00
2007-04-21, 02:58 PM
For the EF, this thread was made when CArcane just came out

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=365456

Some new spells need to be added to it with the Spell Compedium comming out, such as blood fist regradless it is a good start

Annarrkkii
2007-04-21, 06:26 PM
Indeed. Enlightened Fist/Abjurant Champion is a truly dangerous build. Gets even cheesier but still tastes good if you add in a level of Paladin lower on the chain (Monk 1/Paladin 1/Sorcerer 3/Enlightened Fist X-1/Abjurant Champion 5) for Charisma to saves, but that's just blatant muchkinry.

Sorry about the BAB there, Closet Skeleton, I never actually noticed that. I saw the +6 BAB entry requirement and just assumed it was a full BAB class. Go figure.

My comrades beat me to it, but, to clarify:

Superior Unarmed Strike + Monk Unarmed Damage means a level 16 Monk/4 Kensai can enchant his fists to be +1 Speed weapons that deal a base of 3d8 damage, and can hit 7 times in a full attack. Enchanted Kama can likewise hit 7 times, but only deals 1/4 the base damage. You could also hold an enchanted kama in the off hand, as well, to maximize the nastiness. And gauntlets, while spicy, are not on the list of Monk weapons...

Pax_Chi
2007-04-22, 01:52 AM
I might take a shot at homebrewing a PrC for the Monks that'll give them ToB options. I already tried to make a flat out ToB monk here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29762

Feel free to check it out and leave your thoughts.

However, as that's a pretty big change to the Monk core class, I might try to make something like a ToB equivalent of a Fist of Zuoken or a Sacred Fist, where the Monk can just jump right in to the gaining of ToB type levels along with a progression in his Monk level based abilities while only having to do a minimum of multi-classing.

Basically you'd take one level of Sword Sage and get the Adaptive Style Feat. Then you level up Monk until you get Purity of Body, which signifies your understanding of the martial arts has reached the level of mental and physical integration. You then get a PrC that lets you continue to gain levels in the ToB class you had before for every level you take in it, as well as a Full BAB, increasing some of your monk abilities per level, and a few PrC specific abilities. 10 levels of this later, you take Superior Unarmed Strike and you've got a Monk's full damage potential, and you can either take more levels in Sword Sage or another PrC like Master of Nine.

Helgraf
2007-04-22, 02:17 AM
I'm going to go another direction.

Tattooed Monk.

I've made some fairly disturbing Monk/Tattooed Monk builds.

Pax_Chi
2007-04-23, 12:29 PM
I'm going to go another direction.

Tattooed Monk.

I've made some fairly disturbing Monk/Tattooed Monk builds.

Really? For example?

The_Snark
2007-04-23, 05:51 PM
Reminds me of my Drunken Master/Tattooed Monk. The Tattooed Monk had to be reflavored just a little, starting with that lawful-only clause, but it was hilarious.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-24, 04:42 AM
Tatooed Monk can be nasty, particularly if you allow extra tatoos to be taken as feats.

Many of the tatoos give bonuses based on the total number of tatoos you have. For instance, the Crab tatoo gives you DR based on the number of tatoos you have. You can get something like DR 12/- fairly easily.

And to the guy who suggested a one level dip in Paladin... you don't get Cha bonus to saves until Pal2, and you've got some major MAD. Monks need good Wis and Dex for AC, Con for hit points, Str for damage output and melee accuracy, and Int for skills. Monk already has plenty of MAD. Throwing in a Cha based advantage just complicates matters worse.

Pal2 is better as a dip in a Pal2/Sorc6/EK10/AM2 gish build, wherein you have good Cha synergy with your primary casting stat and save bonuses. Throwing in Abjurant Champion instead of a few levels of EK would be extra good.

In an arcane monk build, you want to keep as many monk abilities as possible. Monk's Belt only covers five levels of non-monk-ness.

One build I worked with for a wihle was Mnk2/Sorc6 with the feat that lets you use Cha for Monk abilities. This gives me the AC of a level 8 monk, since he's a Sorc, he's not going to be in armor anyways, mage armor stacks with it, so toss in two levels of Paladin for saves and weapon/armor proficencies, then grab some levels of Abjurant Champion. He's not a monk, per se, but he is hard to take down. He's more of a Sorcerer build, though.

Zincorium
2007-04-24, 05:07 AM
Tatooed Monk can be nasty, particularly if you allow extra tatoos to be taken as feats.

Many of the tatoos give bonuses based on the total number of tatoos you have. For instance, the Crab tatoo gives you DR based on the number of tatoos you have. You can get something like DR 12/- fairly easily.

There's 'broken' and then there's 'you broke it'.

Considering the maximum number of tattoos allowed by RAW is 5, after taking all possible levels of the class, you won't be getting the theorized DR 12. And if you think it's DR /-, you ain't readin' the class features right. It's /magic, something that's useless towards the end game and something you'd get a lot more of just by taking straight monk.

Allowing tattoos to be taken as bonus feats is not a standard option, it's not even a suggested option. It's pure house rule, so there's not much point bringing it into a claim that the class is good unless someone has said their DM likes to take house rules that their player found on the internet and put them into the game unaltered.

Finally, the thing that reduces most of the class's usefulness is that you have to blow a move action to activate most of the abilities. Unless you pick all passive ones, that's not inconsiderable.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-24, 06:48 AM
One build I worked with for a wihle was Mnk2/Sorc6 with the feat that lets you use Cha for Monk abilities. This gives me the AC of a level 8 monk, since he's a Sorc, he's not going to be in armor anyways, mage armor stacks with it, so toss in two levels of Paladin for saves and weapon/armor proficencies, then grab some levels of Abjurant Champion. He's not a monk, per se, but he is hard to take down. He's more of a Sorcerer build, though.

This... is precisely the build I was talking about. My bad about Paladin 2, though. Monk 1/Pal 2/Sorcerer 4/Enlightened Fist X/Abjurant Champion 4 is a real powerplay.

Drider
2007-04-24, 06:57 AM
in complete warrior/sword and fist is the best rp class for a monk...Drunken Master

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-24, 02:00 PM
in complete warrior/sword and fist is the best rp class for a monk...Drunken Master

Except it isn't because it doesn't represent its own archetype that well and there's not point being an uber drunkard if you can't actually pwn people.

Pax_Chi
2007-04-26, 12:46 AM
Okay, I gave a shot at trying to make a cool Tome of Battle/Monk Prestige Class. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys could give me on it over in that thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2477972#post2477972

Thanks in advance. :)