PDA

View Full Version : Sprit Howler [Creature, MitP II]

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-21, 01:13 AM
A journal was found with these bodies which have not a mark on their bodies and seem to have died of pure terror and exhaustion. It reads as follows.

15th day of the month of the Scorpion, of the year seven hundred and twelve, New Imperial Reconing.
Full moon tonight, make it easier to navigate, so we pressed the advantage Nature has given us and did not set camp until the moon was at it's hight. There is something not right here, the land herself weeps, though I can see no reason for Her to. We have found a little copse, not far from a hill to set camp. The wizard warns us there is magic on the hill that requires further study.

17th day of Scorpion
That damn thing is back. We thought we had slain it, and yet it returns once again. It seems to be naught but a ghost wolf... yet it's howl is such to set men's minds on fire. Most of the party has reported horrid nightmares by now, dreams of running through a deep forest, hunted by orcs, and being slain. The Wizard says this place dates back to the Ancient Empire. I have felt a great tragedy here, as though Nature herself has felt a great wound, and yet he wishes to remain to study further.

20th day of Scorpion
Two of our people did not awaken this morning, stone dead. This marks the fourth loss so far. I have finally persuaded the Wizard to flee this place with all due haste. Last night, I saw the nightmares the others spoke of... it was more than they realize. I think these are actually the final memories of the... thing. And yet... it somehow calls to me... personally. Is this what happens to animal companions when they die?

25th day of Scorpion
The nightmares still haunt me every time my eyes close, though the creature did not persue us, the dreams are driving us all mad. We cannot rest, we cannot meditate... as much as I shun the cities, my only hope is that we may find a temple and find some cure for this before we all perish.

I have often asked myself: What would happen if an animal companion died leaving it's mission unfilled? This is my answer. I have purposely left how to get rid of it permanently up to the GM. Perhaps they must find the spirit of the companion's owner and get it to make peace with it's death. Perhaps you must avenge the death and finish the task it was set to. It is up to the GM what must be done, and will almost certainly be an adventure in and of itself.

{table]Spirit Howler[/table]{table=]Size/Type: | Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: | 6d12 (39)
Initiative: | +8
Armor Class: | 18 (+4 dex, +4 Deflection), touch 18, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: | +3/-
Attack: | Incorporeal touch +7 melee (1d6 plus energy drain)
Full Attack: | Incorporeal touch +7 melee (1d6 plus energy drain)
Special Attacks: | Howl 1/Day
Special Qualities: | Darkvision 120', Scent, Sunlight Powerlessness, Spirit Bound, Rejuvenation, +4 turn resistance, undead traits, Incoporeal traits
Saves: | Fort: +2, Ref: +5, Will: +7
Abilities: | Str:-, Dex: 18, Con:-, Int: 14, Wis: 14, Cha: 18
Feats: | Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse, Ability Focus (Howl)
Environment: | any land or underground
CR: | 10
Treasure: | Perhaps magic items burried under the mound
Alignment: | Always Neutral Evil[/table]

This creature stands atop a small hill or mound. It seems as though it is a wolf at first, with blazing red eyes. Then, one can see the moonlight streaming through it, as though it is not a part of this world.

Special Attacks:

Howl (su): This is the most dangerous ability of this foul creature. All within a hundred yards of the mound who hear the mournful howl of this creature must make a Will Save (DC 19 Cha based) or be affected by a most profound curse. Every night, the afflicted is haunted by the final memories of the creature. He must make a Fort Save (DC 15, flat) or die of sheer fright. Even those who make the fort save are unable to get any sleep and will be exhausted. While afflicted by the curse, the afflicted cannot even meditate to regain spells, as every time they close their eyes, the nightmares come back to haunt them and break their reverie. This continues until the afflicted recieves a Remove Curse... or dies. This is a supernatural, sonic, mind-affecting ability to place the curse on a person, and a supernatural, mind-affecting, death effect for purposes of the death effect. Creatures immune to or protected from death effects will still suffer exhaustion although they cannot die from failing a saving throw, the exhaustion itself may eventually become life-threatening.

Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a Spirit Howler's incorporeal touch gains one negative level. The DC is 18 for the Fort save to remove such a negative level. The save DC is CHA based.

Rejuvenation (Su): Like a Ghost, a Spirit Howler is unable to be completely destroyed easily. If it is destroyed, it will simply come back the next night. the only way to truely get rid of it is to set the soul of the creature to rest, which may be an adventure in itself.

Sunlight Powerlessness (Ex): The Spirit Howler is powerless in natural sunlight and flees from it, retreating down into it's mound. If it is caught in sunlight, it cannot attack and may only take a single move or attack action in one round.

Spirit Bound (Ex): A Spirit Howler cannot leave it's mound for any reason. It is linked to it and cannot move beyond it's bounds.

Matthew
2007-04-21, 12:28 PM
Nice table. The Howl Abiility seems a bit on the powerful side, even for a signature power. Also, why is the Initiative Modifier +9? I see Dexterity (+4) and Improved Initiative (+4), what am I missing?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-21, 12:37 PM
Well, for it to make it into the monsters you probably need a complete table. Missing a number of things, including skills. Also, though its an alright creature, it basically seems to be a ghost with a powered up Frightful Moan. Not much originality going for it.

Some things that are off...

Hit Dice: 6d12
Needs to mention average HP (39).

Initiative: +9
Should be +8.

Howl (su): This is the most dangerous ability of this foul creature. All who hear the mournful howl of this creature must make a Will Save (DC 20) or be affected by a most profound curse. Every night, the afflicted is haunted by the final memories of the creature. He must make a Fort Save (DC 15) or die of sheer fright. Even those who make the fort save are unable to get any sleep and will be exhausted. While afflicted by the curse, the afflicted cannot even meditate to regain spells, as every time they close their eyes, the nightmares come back to haunt them and break their reverie. This continues until the afflicted recieves a Remove Curse... or dies. This is a supernatural, sonic, mind-affecting ability to place the curse on a person, and a supernatural, mind-affecting, death effect for purposes of the death effect. Creatures immune to or protected from death effects will still suffer exhaustion although they cannot die from failing a saving throw, the exhaustion itself may eventually become life-threatening.
This is an interesting ability, though far too powerful for a CR 8 I'm thinking (and you need to mention what the save DC's are based off of).

This is basically a much stronger version of Phantasmal Killer that can affect everyone within, what, a mile? You need to mention how far its howl can be heard.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-21, 01:04 PM
Well, for it to make it into the monsters you probably need a complete table. Missing a number of things, including skills. Also, though its an alright creature, it basically seems to be a ghost with a powered up Frightful Moan. Not much originality going for it.

Some things that are off...

Needs to mention average HP (39).
Fixed

[initiative]Should be +8.
Fixed

This is an interesting ability, though far too powerful for a CR 8 I'm thinking (and you need to mention what the save DC's are based off of).

This is basically a much stronger version of Phantasmal Killer that can affect everyone within, what, a mile? You need to mention how far its howl can be heard.

Fixed, specifically limited the range of the Howl. Furthermore, keep in mind you only need a 2nd level spell to fix the afflicted, and it is an ongoing long-term effect. Sure, someone without access to Remove Curse might be in serious trouble, but anyone who actually has an intelligent party is just going to Remove Curse and negate any chance of PC death.

Also increased CR to 10

Danu
2007-04-21, 06:37 PM
I love the fluff, and the creature itself is very cool. I do have a couple of issues I need to bring up, however.

1) Either it's an undead or an animal. You can, however, make it an Undead (augmented animal). That would largely fit the theme I think you're trying to produce.

2) Saving throw DCs are 10 + 1/2 racial HD + ability modifier. From what I've seen, all of the save DCs are Charisma based, so they should all be DC 17. If you want to increase the DCs, grant it a racial bonus.

Despite these issues, I'm going to vote yes. You've obviously put a lot of effort and thought into the creature.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-21, 09:06 PM
I love the fluff, and the creature itself is very cool. I do have a couple of issues I need to bring up, however.

1) Either it's an undead or an animal. You can, however, make it an Undead (augmented animal). That would largely fit the theme I think you're trying to produce.

2) Saving throw DCs are 10 + 1/2 racial HD + ability modifier. From what I've seen, all of the save DCs are Charisma based, so they should all be DC 17. If you want to increase the DCs, grant it a racial bonus.

Despite these issues, I'm going to vote yes. You've obviously put a lot of effort and thought into the creature.

1) You're right. While it looks like an animal, it is, in fact, an undead. Therefore, the type is Undead, even if it looks like a wolf.

2) Changed the DC's. The will save vs the curse itself is 19, with the Augment Ability feat to increase it's DC by 2. The Fort save on a nightly basis is just a flat DC 15, otherwise it's too strong.

Also defined Howl as a 1/day ability to keep unscrupulous GM's from continuously howling, requiring Will saves on every turn until everyone has failed it.

Icewalker
2007-04-21, 11:27 PM
I must say, extremely cool idea. Very scary, and quite the adventure hook. Finish before the party dies of fright in their sleep. I definitely like it. Great fluff too.

If they die and are resurrected, do they stop having the nightmares?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-28, 07:19 PM
I was wondering what the heck a Wx ability was, but then I realized it was a typo. Fix it!

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-28, 08:40 PM
I was wondering what the heck a Wx ability was, but then I realized it was a typo. Fix it!

Fixed this.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-28, 08:41 PM
Excellent.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:47 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people!

Zherog
2007-05-16, 04:49 PM
Some feedback. There's a few typos I'll mention, along with comments on the creature itself. I don't know if your mistakes in the journal are intentional or not, but I'll point them out anyway.

A journal was found with these bodies which have not a mark on their bodies and seem to have died of pure terror and exhaustion. It reads as follows.

You used the word "bodies" twice in that sentence, which makes the flow a bit less than it should be. I'd recommend changing the underlined text to the word "them."

Full moon tonight, make it easier to navigate, so we pressed the advantage Nature has given us and did not set camp until the moon was at it's hight. There is something not right here, the land herself weeps, though I can see no reason for Her to. We have found a little copse, not far from a hill to set camp. The wizard warns us there is magic on the hill that requires further study.

In order:

I believe "make" should be "makes."

"Its" shouldn't have an apostrophe in this case. It's a weird word; while a possessive word usually gets an apostrophe, the word "its" is the exception. This is to help keep from being confused with the contraction "it's."

"Height" is misspelled.

"Her" shouldn't be capitalized.

Place a comma after "hill." The phrase "not far from a hill" is a "side" thought, so you should wrap the whole phrase in commas.

17th day of Scorpion
That damn thing is back. We thought we had slain it, and yet it returns once again. It seems to be naught but a ghost wolf... yet it's howl is such to set men's minds on fire. Most of the party has reported horrid nightmares by now, dreams of running through a deep forest, hunted by orcs, and being slain. The Wizard says this place dates back to the Ancient Empire. I have felt a great tragedy here, as though Nature herself has felt a great wound, and yet he wishes to remain to study further.

Again, no apostrophe in "its."

I have often asked myself: What would happen if an animal companion died leaving it's mission unfilled?

My first inclination would be to apply the "ghost" template. :)

Special Qualities: Darkvision 120', Scent, Sunlight Powerlessness, Spirit Bound, Rejuvenation, +4 turn resistance, undead traits, Incoporeal traits

These should be in alphabetical order, and all but the first is lowercase.

Saves: Fort: +2, Ref: +5, Will: +7

I compute +6 for your Reflex save. A 6 HD undead has a +2 base save, and the howler has a +4 Dex mod.

Feats: | Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse, Ability Focus (Howl)

You're missing skills, which should go above this line.

In my opinion, it would be entirely reasonable to make Weapon Finesse a bonus feat, if there were one other feat you wanted to give these critters.

CR: | 10

They're going to be very susceptable to being turned by a cleric, since they only have 6 Hit Dice. Do you intend that? A 10th level cleric (even one with a sucky Charisma) is going to have little trouble making these ghost dogs put their tail between their legs and run. I'd consider granting Turn Resistance (+4 or maybe even +6) up in the SQ, to account for the CR being higher than the Hit Dice (which is the opposite of most undead).

You're missing an "advancement" line here on the end, and you're also missing a "level adjustment" line (even though that value will be '--' most likely).

This creature stands atop a small hill or mound. It seems as though it is a wolf at first, with blazing red eyes. Then, one can see the moonlight streaming through it, as though it is not a part of this world.

Good description text - it details the creature in a few sentences without making presumptions about the characters.

Howl (su): This is the most dangerous ability of this foul creature. All within a hundred yards of the mound who hear the mournful howl of this creature must make a Will Save (DC 19 Cha based) or be affected by a most profound curse. Every night, the afflicted is haunted by the final memories of the creature. He must make a Fort Save (DC 15, flat) or die of sheer fright. Even those who make the fort save are unable to get any sleep and will be exhausted. While afflicted by the curse, the afflicted cannot even meditate to regain spells, as every time they close their eyes, the nightmares come back to haunt them and break their reverie. This continues until the afflicted recieves a Remove Curse... or dies. This is a supernatural, sonic, mind-affecting ability to place the curse on a person, and a supernatural, mind-affecting, death effect for purposes of the death effect. Creatures immune to or protected from death effects will still suffer exhaustion although they cannot die from failing a saving throw, the exhaustion itself may eventually become life-threatening.

Alright, I underlined a few things. In order:

Spell out "Charisma"
Spell out (and capitalize) "Fortitude"
Spell names are lowercase, and should be italicized.

Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a Spirit Howler's incorporeal touch gains one negative level. The DC is 18 for the Fort save to remove such a negative level. The save DC is CHA based.

The creature's name should be lowercase.

Spell out Fortitude and Charisma.

Rejuvenation (Su): Like a Ghost, a Spirit Howler is unable to be completely destroyed easily. If it is destroyed, it will simply come back the next night. the only way to truely get rid of it is to set the soul of the creature to rest, which may be an adventure in itself.

Lowercase for creature names.

Sunlight Powerlessness (Ex): The Spirit Howler is powerless in natural sunlight and flees from it, retreating down into it's mound. If it is caught in sunlight, it cannot attack and may only take a single move or attack action in one round.

Lowercase for creature names.

Also, your last sentence is confusing. It cannot attack, but it can make an attack action? I'd remove "or attack" from the end of that sentence. In other words, allow a move action only.

Spirit Bound (Ex): A Spirit Howler cannot leave it's mound for any reason. It is linked to it and cannot move beyond it's bounds.

Lowercase.

So what happens if a cleric turns it?

Interesting. It has a huge advantage over the ghost template - I don't have to sit and do the work to apply the template.