PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Link (LoZ) thread.

DurionArcanis
2015-05-20, 08:41 AM
Soo yeah. Looking to build Link in what is essentially a high magic high power high cheese gestalt 3.pf game, full of shenanigans homebrew and 3rd party crap. The primary basis for the campaign is the Pathfinder story feat Fearless Zeal, the GM has made some unusual rules regarding this as well. Basically we're trying to create crazy as **** builds and see how fast we can kill them. (unique and hilarious deaths in service to a deity, lord/king, or cause are extremely welcome here).

I decided with some random ideas to make a Link build. I'll most likely be getting my hands on a Legacy weapon, using the Item Familiar feat, and possibly progressing into Legacy Weapon Master as one part of my gestalt track (though this is debatable right now). I'm also guaranteed to take the Incomprehensible Accent flaw (or whatever it's actually called) from Dragon Mag (no matter what language I'm speaking, noone can understand it, not even the likes of Comprehend Languages/Tongues can actually understand what I'm saying).

Base class I'm almost certainly going to be taking Factotum, and probably at least some levels in Martial Maneuver classes (either from Path of War or from Tome of Battle).

Any particular build ideas you guys can provide would be handy, especially since I rarely do sword and board types of characters (and despite Link's uberversatility, he is at his core a sword and board character).

Also, is there any particular version of Link you think would be the most entertaining to use for this? Or even non-canon fan designs that might be fun to work with? Feel free to post fanart of link as well, especially the types that don't look like they belong in any existing Legend of Zelda game since I'm sure those might have some interesting build inspiration. Something like this Darksiders version of Link (http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/freelance-artist-merges-link-into-darksiders-with-3d-modeling) might be cool to try out.

Xaotiq1
2015-05-20, 10:27 AM
This may rock your socks; or just interest you. http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1145346

Red Fel
2015-05-20, 10:41 AM
Yeah. First off, sword-and-board type characters don't generally work well. And let's face it, despite having a shield, Link isn't really a sword-and-board fighter; generally, he's a sword fighter who periodically hides behind a shield. If you really want one, grab a shield with the Animated property and be done with it. Then pick up a two-handed sword and own it.

Now, onto classes. One combination you'll frequently hear in reference to Link is Warblade 10/ Eternal Blade 10. Why? Because it's Link. It has everything, right down to a fairy companion ("Hey! Listen!"). Oh, and the EB capstone is obscene.

So that easily addresses one side of your gestalt. Factotum handles the other. Here's where I have a question: Why do you want a Legacy Weapon?

I ask this, because, as written, they suck. You generally do better getting the enhancements you actually want on an item, and not paying the price in BAB, saves, HP, skill points, etc. Similarly, an Item Familiar is great, in many ways better than a Weapon of Legacy. So, again, why go with a WoL? Unless you use one of the homebrew fixes, I'd suggest skipping it. Alternatively, take the Ancestral Relic feat. You now have a magical sword that you can power up in a holy place. Slap it on your Item Familiar for doubleplus funtimes.

ahenobarbi
2015-05-20, 10:52 AM
So that easily addresses one side of your gestalt. Factotum handles the other. Here's where I have a question: Why do you want a Legacy Weapon?

I ask this, because, as written, they suck. You generally do better getting the enhancements you actually want on an item, and not paying the price in BAB, saves, HP, skill points, etc. Similarly, an Item Familiar is great, in many ways better than a Weapon of Legacy. So, again, why go with a WoL? Unless you use one of the homebrew fixes, I'd suggest skipping it. Alternatively, take the Ancestral Relic feat. You now have a magical sword that you can power up in a holy place. Slap it on your Item Familiar for doubleplus funtimes.

Weapons of legacy are great. Just found your own legacy instead of using pre-generated ones (which suck) (relevant handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5907)).

DurionArcanis
2015-05-20, 11:19 AM
Warblade/Factotum build does interest me. Doesn't really blow my mind though, but I'm a little jaded sometimes. I will look through it every now and then when I'm building something that could benefit from the content though.

Why use Weapon of Legacy? As ahenobarbi stated build a custom one of course. But also because Master Sword. Item Familiar can also be handy considering the restricted nature of this specific game. The characters in this game are quick, bright sparks. They burn, they're pretty, then they're gone. I do expect Link to last longer than most of the other characters in this game, but I hope he doesn't last longer than a handful of sessions. Depending on the actual level I wind up making him at many things are subject to change.

Also, one particular PrC I'm currently considering is the Thingomancer (https://armrstudios.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/new-prestige-class-the-thingomancer/) because of that friggen backpack. But again many of these options will vary. I'm hoping to build a rather unique and unusual Link for this, so I am writing a list of ideas thus far. One such idea was to try to combine as many canon versions of Link as I possibly can (which would include potentially having a faerie familiar, a sword guide, a mount, shapeshifting, a....would Midna be counted as a cohort..? As well as quite possibly every single item from every game.

Note, cheese is heavy, 3rd party and homebrew are open and subject to approval (chances are anything short of Punpun black magic frickery will be allowed though). Pull out the crazy stuff people! Dig to the darkest dredges of your banhammer worthy idea boxes and throw them at me! I don't care how broken (be they overpowered or just don't work) the ideas are! :P The players in this game have been all been given a the Improved Book Evasion (Ex) feature, and though we've broken the DM dozens of times just from brainstorming in various chats, it's very rare that he actually says we can't do something.

For context... one of our players plans to use the "You've got Chickens" dragon magazine flaw (which states whenever you draw a weapon or pull out an item you have a 50% chance of pulling out a chicken instead) to conquer/flood the poultry market in the game and thus rake in a massive amount of gold.