PDA

View Full Version : In the Beginning: Battle of the Line-era Earthforce (Babalon 5) vs Kobol System (BSG)

Rakaydos
2015-05-20, 11:21 AM
The search for viable vs threads for BSG continues...

Before the babalon project, Earth accidently pissed off one of the heavy-hitter races of their setting, and proceded to get their asses handed to them despite tech transfers from other races such as the Narn and Drazi. Due to Destiny(tm) intervening, earth was not destroyed, and Earthforce began to rebuild.

Before the Cylons infiltrated Kobol, there were any number of Battlestar class vessels built against the threat that the cylons would return. (im fuzzier on their other capabilities, so feel free to help out)

One group discovers the other. Kobol has no jumpgates, so earthforce needs a ship large enough to make it's own jumppoint as part of any expedition.

Kantaki
2015-05-20, 12:50 PM
How much time do Babylon 5s Earthforces have to rebuild? Because right after the battle of the line they would couldn’t win a fight against an paperbag so badly did the Minbari beat them. If they get enough time to recover it would be a close call but I think the Babylon 5 verse humans have a slight advantage over the BSG ones. I mean they did manage to take down the Black Star during the Battle of the line and the Minbari ships are tougher than a basestar. Plus they have energy-weapons, that should give them an advantage in the ammunition area. How good are BSGs Vipers? The standard B5 fighters can turn on the spot and fly backwards, allowing them to attack a chasing enemy and/or turn the chase around. That could give them an advantage as well.
I’m leaning towards an victory by the Babylon 5 side there.

Rakaydos
2015-05-20, 01:39 PM
Vipers manouevre in pretty much the same way. They seem pretty equally matched to starfuries.

One major difference is that BSG ships have integrated FTL whereas B5 have to rely on external gates to get around. At a strategic level that's a major disadvantage to B5.

The big ships have integrated FTL, and can "hold the door open" for non-jump ships that accompany them without needing to, say, land fighters.

Kantaki
2015-05-20, 01:46 PM
Vipers manouevre in pretty much the same way. They seem pretty equally matched to starfuries.

One major difference is that BSG ships have integrated FTL whereas B5 have to rely on external gates to get around. At a strategic level that's a major disadvantage to B5.

I am pretty sure that is only true for some ships. Others them to be able to open their own window to hyperspace. Although I don't know if Earth has such ships. But yes at least in that area BSG has an advantage. But I still think that the Babylon 5 technology in other areas is a bit better. Well maybe not the Artificial Gravity Babylon 5 ships (at least human ones) seem to use rotation to create AG, but I have no idea about Battlestars. And how much of an advantage would an FTL-drive even be in this scenario? And would they even fight? I could see both sides trying to negotiate.

Rakaydos
2015-05-20, 04:16 PM
So, earth contacts Kobol shortly after the battle of the line, Kobol initially is all enthusiastic, then Earth starts demanding help repairing their economy and goes intolerably imperalistic. Does war break out?