PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Swift Action as Immediate Reaction?

Shnigda
2015-05-20, 06:30 PM
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone knows of or can think of any ways in which you can use a swift action as an immediate reaction/interrupt.
For example, say you play a caster with a quickened spell prepared. Is there any rules-legal way of casting the quickened spell as an immediate interrupt?

Curmudgeon
2015-05-20, 10:24 PM
Not really. Swift actions can only be taken on your turn. So you could use your swift action if someone is taking an AoO on your turn because you let your guard down. You couldn't use it to interrupt an AoO in progress, but you could use it either before or after the AoO. So as soon as you realize you've provoked the AoO, but before it happens, you might be able to do something to avoid it.

heavyfuel
2015-05-20, 10:56 PM
For general purposes, you can ready your action (though that is a waste of a standard action most of the time)

In your specific scenario, there's the Battlemagic Perception spell, which lets you attempt to instantly counterspell one spell as a free action.

RolkFlameraven
2015-05-20, 11:45 PM
There is a feat in PGtF I think, that lets you counterspell even if you haven't readied for counterspelling. I'm AFB or I'd give you the name. Its part of a small feat chain though.

But for the most part no, not that I recall besides readying.

heavyfuel
2015-05-21, 12:54 AM
There is a feat in PGtF I think, that lets you counterspell even if you haven't readied for counterspelling. I'm AFB or I'd give you the name. Its part of a small feat chain though.

But for the most part no, not that I recall besides readying.

Indeed: Reactive Counterspell on p42.

Lets you counterspell 1/round without readying, but uses your action (either standard or swift, depending on the spell cast) for the next turn

Saintheart
2015-05-21, 08:51 PM
Tome of Battle, of course, allows you some maneuvers as counters which can be taken outside your turn.

Urpriest
2015-05-21, 08:53 PM
Immediate Interrupts and Immediate Reactions are a 4e thing. 3.5 doesn't distinguish, they're just Immediate Actions.