PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed crafting magic items without attending to them..

animewatcha
2015-05-21, 12:16 AM
Let's assume I have limited books available like no Tome of Battle. What are the different ways that a cleric ( not a cohort/magic mart/artificer/etc. ) can craft magic weapon/armor/wondrous items ( but not scrolls ) assuming that he has the right item creation feats. This is without him being able to spend 8 hours 'actively attending' to them. I was thinking craft construct or unseen crafter, but I cant find anything on a yay to magic items ( spells needed being taken from your list of course, etc. ).

-edit- Edited to account for wondrous items and armor/weapons, not scrolls. Sorry.

With a box
2015-05-21, 12:32 AM
Quill of Scribing in Complete Mage Pg 134 makes you able to scribe scroll while you do something else

and I think there is a some kind of scroll printer in dragon mag.

animewatcha
2015-05-21, 12:52 AM
Edited for further clarification. My apologies.

Uncle Pine
2015-05-21, 02:26 AM
What level are we talking about? A Dedicated Wright can craft magic items in your stead, but you can only have one at a time. On the other hand, creating a fast time demiplane (or teleporting to one) would give you extra time to craft the item yourself (i.e. IIRC no time passes in the Far Realm, so you could go there, craft an item for 8 hours, rest, wash yourself and when you teleport back no time would have passed in the Prime Material).

Saintheart
2015-05-21, 04:00 AM
Self-promotion and somewhat tangential, maybe, but since it's explicitly a cleric: Inscribe Rune, which requires a divine spellcaster. It's explicitly an [Item Creation] feat, out of the Forgotten Realms. It's not magic item creation while the creator is not in attendance, but gets there for most intents and purposes: crafting a rune takes ten minutes plus the casting time of the spell involved. Runes are touch-activated, no Use Magic Device required, and set off the spell immediately; you spend the casting time of the spelll when you create the rune, not when it's triggered.

Runecaster, assuming you're willing to sweat eight levels in it, grants you the hilariously broken feature of being able to craft permanent runes, i.e. buttons of instant spells.

JyP
2015-05-21, 06:35 AM
Let's assume I have limited books available like no Tome of Battle. What are the different ways that a cleric ( not a cohort/magic mart/artificer/etc. ) can craft magic weapon/armor/wondrous items ( but not scrolls ) assuming that he has the right item creation feats. This is without him being able to spend 8 hours 'actively attending' to them. I was thinking craft construct or unseen crafter, but I cant find anything on a yay to magic items ( spells needed being taken from your list of course, etc. ).

-edit- Edited to account for wondrous items and armor/weapons, not scrolls. Sorry.
There's the variant with craft points (in SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/craftPoints.htm) or Unearthed Arcana), to have your cleric working on this in spare time, even during dungeons.

A wish can also create magic items, but it's lacking in guidelines:
•Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value.
•Create a magic item, or add to the powers of an existing magic item.

You can try to summon a Genie for wishes too.

in DMG2 , you can attune to your own weapon and do rituals to improve them.

LoyalPaladin
2015-05-21, 09:43 AM
What level are we talking about? A Dedicated Wright can craft magic items in your stead, but you can only have one at a time.
These are the best answer that I have found over the years. Gotta love your own little crafter-bot. But yes, we definitely know what level you are.

animewatcha
2015-05-22, 01:09 AM
So the part of the campaign is time-limited. So crafting would have to be done on the go. This is for a possible back-up character that could be an ordained champion of heironeous cleric. Limited books allowed for players to use for character creation. Level at this time very close to 9th. This means no Genesis. Crafting up to this point would have had to be done 'in the background before introduction'. I doubt an eternal wand ( no wizards and limited sorcerers ) of Rope trick would be tolerable to DM. Dedicated Wright is in Eberron campaign setting, but we are allowed Races of Eberron, but not the campaign setting.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-22, 01:49 AM

Simulacrum or ice assassin of yourself is one way, you can use planar ally to get a Midgard Dwarf, or a genie, or bind a Mirror Mephit to gain free copies of the others.

Uncle Pine
2015-05-22, 03:28 AM
So the part of the campaign is time-limited. So crafting would have to be done on the go. This is for a possible back-up character that could be an ordained champion of heironeous cleric. Limited books allowed for players to use for character creation. Level at this time very close to 9th. This means no Genesis. Crafting up to this point would have had to be done 'in the background before introduction'. I doubt an eternal wand ( no wizards and limited sorcerers ) of Rope trick would be tolerable to DM. Dedicated Wright is in Eberron campaign setting, but we are allowed Races of Eberron, but not the campaign setting.

Heironeous favors the daring, doesn't he? If you have access to Plane Shift (probably through a scroll, since you lost at least one caster level going Ordained Champion, but not necessarily depending on when exactly you'll play this character) I'd still consider a trip to the Far Realm (no pun intended). Imagine: you and your party wake up one morning, you cast Plane Shift and 0 seconds and (24*total base price of crafted items/1.000 + 1) DC 20 Will saves later you reappear stocked with all kinds of magic items. And probably insane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/insanity.htm) (unless you manage to have at least +19 on your Will saves and can reroll/ignore natural ones), so keep a Greater Restoration scroll around.
Total cost: 4.775 gp (7.025 gp if Plane Shift is only available through scrolls).

EDIT: This also double as an interesting background. "I've… seen things you people wouldn't believe… eyes sprouting from my hands and feets... floating drunk aboleths wearing llama pajamas... I've seen it, felt it…!"