PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need advice on a Skald Build

5w337x7007h
2015-05-21, 12:55 AM
My situation is this. The up-and-rising theurge decided to cast black tentacles on the main deck which won the fight, we're lvl 3, and the idea cost two pc lives. I was a human monk, and the other was a ratfolk necromancer.

I need a new character, and I've decided on a character based on Jack Churchill, a British soldier in WWII who earned two awards of the Distinguished Service Order. And was upset when WWII ended, blaming the Yanks for it's "abrupt" end.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/churchill.html

I imagine he's a fighter, and an eccentric one at that, but I can't decide how to properly build him. I want to say Archery Fighter, wielding a longbow and a longsword/broadsword for backup. Broadsword is 3rd Party and does 2d4 instead of 1d8, but lacks the 19-20 crit range.

Geddy2112
2015-05-21, 12:01 PM
Mad Jack is clearly a bard, and one of the most badass bards to ever walk the earth. "Newspaper editor, model, movie extra, archery champion, bagpiper, surfer" screams bard. That diverse of a skillset applied to a man who as a **** that attitude and charges into gunfire with a sword. If this is not a charisma based person, then I have no idea who is. Also, note that he got the only recorded bow and arrow kill of the war when he shot a German NCO from a tree. Like a boss.

You clearly want performance-bagpipes and performance-oratory so you can inspire/annoy/not give a single **** with bagpipes or say awesome things to inspire your allies. Vanilla bard works fine, and you will have proficiency with a short-bow and longsword out the gate. The daredevil archetype fits the reckless and gung ho nature, and the bonuses to escape artist, climb, bluff and acrobatics fit his actions in combat over extra knowledge. Also consider the savage skald archetype- it replaces some of the less useful performances with more strictly badass performances, and it can be added on with the daredevil. Either/or, or vanilla bard are all good.

Since you are an archery master, Point blank shot, precise shot, rapid shot, deadly aim and weapon focus(bow) are going to eat up most of your feats. With oratory, you can use your bow and still perform your inspire courage/derring do, and bagpipe other times. Have a buckler to compliment the longsword and so you can hold your bagpipes and slash people. Statwise, a high strength for bow damage(compound bow obviously), with decent dex to help hitting. A high con score fits the character and fleshes out the weak fortitude saves. Dump intelligence and wisdom, you don't need the skill points or will saves, and you won't be a knowledge monkey very often. Charisma should also be pretty high, at least 14 to start, higher if you plan on using spells against enemies with saves.

With a 15 point buy I would go something like 14 14 14 9 7 14, +2 in cha or dex. For a 20, increase strength/cha to 16, after that its pretty up to you. Overall, your character is not there to do the most damage, but to be a solid combatant and leader.

If you wanted to go the route of straight combat, then swashbuckler fits a bit better than straight fighter.

5w337x7007h
2015-05-21, 07:00 PM
Alright so I'm gonna go Skald, and I may want to choose a different instrument, though bagpipes are pretty metal when played by the right people.

Stats are, Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16; +2 to Cha from human bonus..

Feats so far are,
1st; Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot
3rd; Rapid Shot
5th; Deadly Aim
7th; Weapon Focus (Longbow)

Skald's Vigor and it's Greater version could definitely help out as well. I could take them at 9th and 11th level.

When it comes to rage powers, I'm thinkin' about Spirit Totem line. All allies are surrounded by spirits that pummel everyone around them? It's a great support ability, plus the choice to gain abilities from inspired rage is completely optional for my allies.

Geddy2112
2015-05-22, 10:32 AM
I was thinking savage skald, which is an archtype of the bard but the skald class is also pretty solid. The ability to hand out rage powers fits a mad jack leadership style. Herald of the horn and fated champion are both archtypes that would fit a bit better, but vanilla skald is a solid choice as well.

Your feat tree looks great. Skald's vigor and greater are fantastic choices- see if you can substitute oratory for sing for that prerequisite.If your party is spellcaster/ranged/support heavy, take greater skalds vigor as your 11 level feat. If they are melee heavy consider discordant voice instead. Sonic damage is rarely resisted and adds up quickly.

Consider swapping your strength and con score if you only plan on using your bow while raging. You can get a +3 compound bow for more oomph but you could not draw it otherwise. Eventually you get a +6 to strength in rage(and I assume some belt of strength etc) so you can get the +5 superbow with enchantments a la carte. Unless you plan on needing a bow outside of combat?

The spirit totem line is hands down the best choice for a skald. Handing out beatstick spirits to each ally and granting a 20% miss chance from nonadjacent attacks is stupid good. Other good powers are swift foot, strength surge, superstition/witch hunter/disruptive/spell sunder, rolling dodge and guarded life. Pick accordingly to fit with the party.

5w337x7007h
2015-05-22, 02:34 PM
What I know the party will have; A gunslinger, a theurge, and a druid.

I was really hoping for a rage power that allows for casters to benefit from my raging song without losing their primary function, casting. So I'll probably end up on the front lines fighting, which wouldn't be too bad. so swapping Str and Con would work better for survival. I just hope I won't be the only one who can, because it's this or a crit-fighter build.

I'll talk it over with my GM because a raging song has audible components, but not visual components.
So I imagine any kind of audible performance should do for the prerequisite.

Geddy2112
2015-05-22, 02:48 PM
Hm, inspired rage is certainly not going to go well for your theuge. The gunslinger probably won't mind the HP and will save boost, and some of the rage powers like guarded stance and surprise accuracy. If the druid is going to be a caster/support then also not happy, but a wild shaping druid will love you. Thing is, the party can choose each round to accept the rage or not. If they are unconscious they auto accept-part of why guarded life is a very handy rage power. You could take moment of clarity so they could ignore the rage, but there is little point because they choose each round to accept or not. It is still a handy power to have if they want it, but a vanilla bard might fit better for your party makeup.

You could use the spell warrior archtype to give enhancement and magic bonuses to weapons instead of rage, and that way you can still boost them with rage powers, but not actually enrage them.

5w337x7007h
2015-05-22, 04:09 PM
How about I go with melee fighting. I'll be on the deck of a ship and archery won't count for much when most of the enemies will be within charging distance of me.

Considering that, I'd probably like to change my feats so they can cooperate with that style of combat instead.