PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Risky beginnings, +5 ECL at level 5.

TheNivMizzet
2015-05-21, 05:27 AM
I've been given the opportunity to play an illithid savant, taking the half illithid template (we acknowledge that it wouldn't work usually but the concept seems fun) but we're starting at level 5, so I would start at level 0 and get spellcasting and such next level.
My first question whether this is a viable option in terms of working with the group without dragging behind until I reach Illithid Savant.
Second question, what equipment should I use to keep myself safe until I can gain a few HD and spells of my own (Taking Wizard levels).
I've been trying for a chance to play the class for a while, and this seems like the right campaign for it, and just wondered what everyone else opinion of the circumstances were.

OldTrees1
2015-05-21, 06:02 AM
1)
I don't know how you are doing HD/hp for level 0, but it looks like the Half Illithid template only has melee options and telepathy to contribute to the group. A level 0 melee character will die against CR 4-9 encounters.

2)
Honestly I would go with high AC and a ranged weapon. You can't contribute yet and you will die from 1 lucky hit.

However WotC does not have a good track record with balancing monstrous races/templates. In response, communities like this one have redone the work via homebrew. If you are willing to consider homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?192151-Community-Based-Monster-Classes-VII), there are two options for Illithid: The normal one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=7947714&postcount=13), and the psionic one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9159107&postcount=1357). The second is probably a better fit since it is more of a caster.

TheNivMizzet
2015-05-21, 06:09 AM
The homebrew race has been disallowed for being only +1 ECL, and homebrew in general seems like a bad idea. I might be able to run custom items past the GM, and with 9000 gold I might be able to run crowd control with non-magical items. Aboleth mucus and egg shell grenades mixed with alchemist grenades and chaos flux for versatility.

OldTrees1
2015-05-21, 06:18 AM
If the ECL-1 race was not accepted, I would be surprised if Aboleth Mucus abuse would be. (I'm also surprised Illithid Savant would be allowed considering it's 3rd and 5th level abilities being more powerful than either linked race).

Have you considered taking the template later? Say Human + Wizard 5 + Half Illithid[+5LA] + Wizard 2 + Illithid Savant.

With a box
2015-05-21, 06:30 AM
sylph in MM2 is 3HD, LA +5, and cast as 7th sorcerer (just 1 level delay)
maybe you can use Savage Species version of it. (cast as 4th sor)
http://www.bardicgrove.org/~campaign/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7346&sid=f01b751a84d48290f2ad75a357645e48

dysprosium
2015-05-21, 09:02 AM
Have you considered taking the template later? Say Human + Wizard 5 + Half Illithid[+5LA] + Wizard 2 + Illithid Savant.

I saw that the OP didn't specify race but just wanted to point out that from a fluff standpoint humans cannot have the half illithid template. A human that is implanted with an illithid tadpole becomes an illithid. Check the sidebar at the bottom of the page in Fiend Folio with the half illithid template on it. It explains "how illithids make more."

That also goes with the long standing fluff from previous editions on illithids.

Also technically if you are starting at Level 5 you cannot really be a character with a Level Adjustment of +5. You have no HD, no hp, etc.

OldTrees1
2015-05-21, 09:15 AM
I saw that the OP didn't specify race but just wanted to point out that from a fluff standpoint humans cannot have the half illithid template. A human that is implanted with an illithid tadpole becomes an illithid. Check the sidebar at the bottom of the page in Fiend Folio with the half illithid template on it. It explains "how illithids make more."

That also goes with the long standing fluff from previous editions on illithids.

Oh, I know. Illithid biology and classification is an interest of mine. (Funny story about unimplanted tadpoles :smallwink:)

I was assuming the OP was using(with their DM's permission) the Half Illithid as a lower ECL version of an Illithid. Thus using a Human as the basis would be more fluff appropriate(kinda like 3 left turns to make a right).

dysprosium
2015-05-21, 09:31 AM
Oh, I know. Illithid biology and classification is an interest of mine. (Funny story about unimplanted tadpoles :smallwink:)

OK. Now I have to know that story.

OldTrees1
2015-05-21, 09:47 AM
OK. Now I have to know that story.

"Larval flayer: A step between larva and neothelid, these creatures looks like overgrown tadpoles. The existence of these beasts is a guarded secret among illithids, and it is considered impolite to speak of them." Complete Psionics?
"Neothelid: If an illithid tadpole fails to undergo ceremorphosis, it may eventually grow into a neothelid, an incredibly powerful worm-like creature with illithid tentacles at the forefront of its body and immense mental powers." XPH
Personally I take this as further evidence that illithids are a slave race manipulated and consumed by the Elder Brains(but there is no confirmation of this theory).

Flickerdart
2015-05-21, 09:53 AM
There's a variant somewhere (DMG?) for playing races with an LA that's too high - just give them negative levels (which don't kill them but give all the associated penalties) equal to the LA, and remove them in favor of real LA whenever it wouldn't make the creature too fragile to live.

TheNivMizzet
2015-05-21, 11:15 AM
I'll look into the alternate rule for playing with negative levels. And aboleth mucus isn't that cheesy, its on my standard adventurers kit list along with the angels mercy and other nonmagical solutions.

prufock
2015-05-21, 11:51 AM
Playing as a level 0 character could be simple enough: +0 to all saves and BAB, 0 skill points, no proficiencies, and no class abilities. Similar to a level 1 commoner (which I believe is CR 1/2 on an LA 0 race). For the intent of special attacks and such, you're considered to have 0 hit dice. Hit points can be con bonus only.

Alternately, use commoner 1, replacing it with your real class when you gain another level.

TheNivMizzet
2015-05-21, 12:24 PM
Probably commoner 1 until I level up, none of my illithid stuff scales off HD I believe, so shouldn't be too hard, except my SR, and its worth it for the eventual benefit.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-05-21, 01:07 PM
The homebrew race has been disallowed for being only +1 ECL, and homebrew in general seems like a bad idea. I might be able to run custom items past the GM, and with 9000 gold I might be able to run crowd control with non-magical items. Aboleth mucus and egg shell grenades mixed with alchemist grenades and chaos flux for versatility.

As a heads up, both the linked races seem pretty solidly designed and fairly balanced. Homebrew in general isn't a bad idea: often it's better designed and/or better balanced than official WotC material.

Your call, but both of those races would serve you well without becoming oppressive.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-21, 02:16 PM
There's a variant somewhere (DMG?) for playing races with an LA that's too high - just give them negative levels (which don't kill them but give all the associated penalties) equal to the LA, and remove them in favor of real LA whenever it wouldn't make the creature too fragile to live.
It's in the Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 190, but I don't know whether that is the most recent version or not.

General Sajaru
2015-05-21, 04:35 PM
"Larval flayer: A step between larva and neothelid, these creatures looks like overgrown tadpoles. The existence of these beasts is a guarded secret among illithids, and it is considered impolite to speak of them." Complete Psionics?
"Neothelid: If an illithid tadpole fails to undergo ceremorphosis, it may eventually grow into a neothelid, an incredibly powerful worm-like creature with illithid tentacles at the forefront of its body and immense mental powers." XPH
Personally I take this as further evidence that illithids are a slave race manipulated and consumed by the Elder Brains(but there is no confirmation of this theory).

As I recall, Lords of Madness and Elder Evils pretty much do confirm that about the illithids, that the elder brains eat the tadpoles as they swim around in the pools, and consume dead illithids for their memories and knowledge.

OldTrees1
2015-05-21, 04:54 PM
As I recall, Lords of Madness and Elder Evils pretty much do confirm that about the illithids, that the elder brains eat the tadpoles as they swim around in the pools, and consume dead illithids for their memories and knowledge.

The consume part is all but confirmed. The tadpole consumption is confirmed(but the tadpoles will eat each other if nutrients are low). The Elder Brains claim the brain eating is merging the dead illithid with the Elder Brain (not that I believe the Elder Brains).

However nothing has yet confirmed the slave race theory of Elder Brain > Illithid society.

Endarire
2015-05-21, 09:11 PM
Player's Guide to Faerun in the back has rules for playing 1 HD, high LA races.