PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Demonic Races?

HaikenEdge
2015-05-21, 08:20 AM
Currently, I'm playing a thrallherd in a D&D 3.5 campaign, and decided to go with the concept of the thralls of being something like the angel and devil on a the thrallherd's shoulders. Given this concept, I went with an aasimar for one thrall, and was considering a tiefling for the other thrall, but the tiefling just feels mechanically disadvantaged in comparison to the aasimar.

I guess what I'm trying get at is, what LA +0 or +1 races with demonic heritage/flavor would be a good counterbalance to the aasimar? I'm looking for something that isn't mechanically disadvantaged in trying to persuade the thrallherd without having to spend anything in levels or skills (basically, have the same +2 Cha bonus as an Aasimar would), or in general.

As far as I know, all 1st and 2nd party 3.5 materials, including Dragon and Dungeon magazines, are on the table.

Pilo
2015-05-21, 09:14 AM
Dragon compendium has a diabolus race, which does not have a penality on charisma, but gets no bonus.

HaikenEdge
2015-05-21, 09:16 AM
Also has a penalty to Diplomacy and Sense Motive, which, in a sense, makes them much less persuasive.

Pilo
2015-05-21, 09:29 AM
You may replace the aasimar by a Hellbreed (Fiendish Codex II) who are less powerfull than aasimar.

HaikenEdge
2015-05-21, 09:33 AM
That doesn't fit, thematically. The aasimar is suppose to the be the angel on the shoulder to the devil on the other shoulder; making both devils (or devil-likes) kind of defeats the point.

Red Fel
2015-05-21, 10:13 AM
I thought Diabolus only looked Evil, anyway; I thought they were CN or something.

If you're feeling flexible on the LA, a Fey'ri (Races of Faerun) has LA +2, and is the offspring of elves and demons. For an extra LA +1 (total +3), you can pick from an expanded list of abilities. They are Planetouched, but I'm not sure if that lets you use the Lesser Planetouched rules from PGtF to reduce that LA. (I'm inclined to think no.)

Another option is the Maeluth (Fiend Folio). Although described as Planetouched, it's really an Outsider, and not even a native one at that. But it's an LA +1 Outsider, with no HD, usually LE; it's basically a Devil-Dwarf. It doesn't have a lot, power-wise; it has some Dwarf traits, and can cause a melee weapon to be Unholy 1/day for 10 minutes. That said, it does get Outsider traits, which is a big plus, right up until the stupid bugger snuffs it.

EDIT: Side note, I once did a bit like this. Had a Hexblade with an intelligent Ioun stone that was Good, and an Imp familiar. Worked fairly well for me, aside from playing a Hexblade.

EDIT+: If you want a race that's not demonic per se, but enjoys a double dose of dark, how about Deepwyrm Drow or Deepwyrm Half-Drow? Deepwyrm (Races of the Dragon) is a special subtype of Drow and Half-Drow that grants the Dragonblood subtype, trades the Faerie Fire SLA for Detect Magic and Disguise Self SLAs, and trades the +2 Diplomacy and +2 to Will saves versus spells and SLAs for a +2 to Bluff. It's not much, but they're basically even darker and more sinister Drow. Half-Drow have no LA, and they lack the abilities listed in Deepwyrm Half-Drow to lose (except for the Diplomacy bonus), which suggests that basically Deepwyrm Half-Elf is pure upgrade. If the Drow's LA bothers you, you could try for the Lesser Drow variant and avoid the LA altogether.

Baroknik
2015-05-21, 12:44 PM
There's always the Fiendish Template.

You could also use an imp or another lower level devil (or demon if you want CE) and just eat the RHD.