PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hurling, Greater, Rage Power Way to abuse?

Draco_Lord
2015-05-21, 11:55 AM
So, I was looking at the Rage Powers of a Barbarian, and Hurler, Greater, seems like there is a little use for something a little abusive. So, the part of it that makes it cool is the ability to make objects you throw change in size. the minimum size you need to do damage is small, which does 2d6 of damage. With greater you can make objects grow 2 sizes, so that minimum object size you need is Diminutive. So, with that, can't you just fill a bag with pebbles, and then take a handful and throw a ton of them? Thus making a rain of small rocks, each doing 2d6 damage. The range is a little issue, but with the Hurling Archtype you can throw at a minimum of 20 ft. If you hit the same creature, it could end up being a lot of damage.

Psyren
2015-05-21, 05:56 PM
You appear to be misreading it - it doesn't make the items you throw change in size, it allows you to throw bigger items.

Yanisa
2015-05-21, 11:40 PM
You appear to be misreading it - it doesn't make the items you throw change in size, it allows you to throw bigger items.

Still it is worded weird. The full line reads:

As hurling, but the barbarian can increase the size of a hurled object by two size categories

I can understand the other interpretation, that you throw as if the item was larger, but I don't think they mean you can increase your rock on the fly (pun not intended, hihi).

The other problem is that as far as the rules go, you can only throw once per round. You cannot toss a handful of pebbles, that's not how hurling works.

Benefit: As a full-round action while raging, the barbarian can lift and hurl an object up to one size category smaller than herself with both hands or two size categories smaller with one hand as an improvised weapon with a range increment of 10 feet. This inflicts damage as a falling object plus the barbarian’s Strength bonus. This damage is halved if the object is not made of stone, metal, or similar material. This is a ranged touch attack, and the target may attempt a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the barbarian’s level + the barbarian’s Strength modifier) for half damage. The barbarian may apply Power Attack to this attack as a one- or two-handed weapon, as appropriate.

You spend a whole round to throw a single object. Still it is decent damage and a touch attack, not the worst way to deal ranged damage.

upho
2015-05-23, 06:36 PM
I can understand the other interpretation, that you throw as if the item was larger, but I don't think they mean you can increase your rock on the fly (pun not intended, hihi).But wait, say the rock you throw is of the angry dwarf kind commonly found underground. If you poke such a rock with a wand of enlarge person just before tossing it, wouldn't that be increasing your rock on the fly?

And if you toss a dwarf, would you deal additional damage if he's wearing full plate? Armor spikes? If he's also raging?

Psyren
2015-05-23, 08:05 PM
Still it is worded weird.

Hey, I never said there wasn't a reason he was misreading it. :smalltongue: