PDA

View Full Version : ways to see through druids thousand faces

tim01300
2015-05-21, 01:15 PM
What ways are their to see through a druid using thousand faces ability? My players are saying true seeing wouldnt work? Is this true? If so what are alteratives for me as a dm?

Geddy2112
2015-05-21, 01:19 PM
True seeing would work. A thousand faces functions as alter self, and true seeing specifically says it can see through a polymorph.

Venger
2015-05-21, 01:21 PM
What ways are their to see through a druid using thousand faces ability? My players are saying true seeing wouldnt work? Is this true? If so what are alteratives for me as a dm?

your players are wrong (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueSeeing.htm)

Evolved Shrimp
2015-05-21, 01:24 PM
True seeing would work. A thousand faces functions as alter self, and true seeing specifically says it can see through a polymorph.

This. Your players may have gotten confused by the “not an illusion” statement for the thousand faces ability. However, this is immaterial because true seeing is by no means limited to seeing through illusions.

In fact, I believe the only way to foil true seeing are mundane disguises (as per the disguise skill).

tim01300
2015-05-21, 01:24 PM
Ok thanks. Thats what i thought. Their agruement was that it was a supernatural ability. I have punished them.

Karmea
2015-05-21, 01:38 PM
In fact, I believe the only way to foil true seeing are mundane disguises (as per the disguise skill).

+ the Cloak of Khyber spell from Dragon 337.

Venger
2015-05-21, 01:49 PM
+ the Cloak of Khyber spell from Dragon 337.

It was actually made official in city of stormreach p59. unfortunately, it will not work since a druid is incapable of maintaining a face for more than six hours.

mundane disguise does indeed trump true seeing.

it's also worth noting that druid's thousand faces does not give alter self, but disguise self.

Psyren
2015-05-21, 02:42 PM
Discern Shapechanger is a low-level spell in Races of Eberron that will also see through Thousand Faces, and does not require an expensive component.

Venger
2015-05-21, 02:58 PM
Discern Shapechanger is a low-level spell in Races of Eberron that will also see through Thousand Faces, and does not require an expensive component.

It was updated in the spell compendium. it's now one level lower and does actually have a costly material component (not horrible, 25gp for a 2nd lvl spell, but you're not gonna be using it that often)

I don't think it'd actually work on a druid, though since it calls out alternate form. it says a wizard with alter self does not ping on this spell, so I'm not sure thousand faces would count.

Psyren
2015-05-21, 03:22 PM
It was updated in the spell compendium. it's now one level lower and does actually have a costly material component (not horrible, 25gp for a 2nd lvl spell, but you're not gonna be using it that often)

I don't think it'd actually work on a druid, though since it calls out alternate form. it says a wizard with alter self does not ping on this spell, so I'm not sure thousand faces would count.

It's says it works on creatures that assume an alternate form via supernatural ability. This is not necessarily a reference to the Alternate Form ability, but even if it were, druids would still qualify due to Wildshape.

Venger
2015-05-21, 03:34 PM
It's says it works on creatures that assume an alternate form via supernatural ability. This is not necessarily a reference to the Alternate Form ability, but even if it were, druids would still qualify due to Wildshape.

That's certainly true. Man, I really wish they wouldn't use game terms that have specific pre-existing definitions like that.

So a druid would ping as a shapechanger even though the disguise self effect wouldn't count. Makes sense.

I absolutely adore how they call out how barghest qualifies "even though its type is outsider."

this spell has been updated three times, and they never amended that it's a subtype now and not a type, so barghest can be both at the same time.