PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sharpshooter Class Feature PEACH

Steampunkette
2015-05-21, 02:42 PM
So. I am putting together a pile of 5e character classes for a conversion of my Clockwork Symphony materials and as I sat down to tinker witth. The Sharpshooter class I thought of an interesting class feature for them that is unlike anything I have seen, before.

Overwatch: As a bonus action select a 5 foot space within line of sight at least 20ft away from your current position. For the next turn that square and the adjacent squares you have line of sight to are considered your theatened area. You may use your reaction to take a ranged opportunity attack if any creature provokes while in the area, and you impose disadvantage on ranged attacks made by creatures in the threatened area so long as you have a loaded rifle readied.

What do you think of the ability?

I, personally, like the idea of a sharpshooter pinning down a gunslinger who can't easily shoot for fear of a sniper's round, and trading a bonus action and a reaction to make an opportunity attack at range seems fairly balanced, but I would love to get some opinions.

Wartex1
2015-05-21, 03:04 PM
It doesn't look broken to me, but I'm AFB so I can't look at all the feats that interact with Opportunity Attacks.

EDIT: After getting back to my book, I can make some more comments.

Threatened Area is no longer a game term, just say that you select a 15-foot cube that, when an enemy leaves, you may make an Opportunity Attack against them with a ranged weapon.

It looks well balanced, but it depends on the other features of the subclass.

Flashy
2015-05-21, 04:07 PM
This seems perfectly reasonable. At worst it should be made to cost an action rather than a bonus action, but the specific balance depends a lot on what the rest of the class features are (and how early in the class progression the ability comes online). The ability itself looks fine.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-21, 06:27 PM
This seems perfectly reasonable. At worst it should be made to cost an action rather than a bonus action, but the specific balance depends a lot on what the rest of the class features are (and how early in the class progression the ability comes online). The ability itself looks fine.

If it takes an action then it's no different than readying an attack on the first creature that enters that space. EDIT: Just saw that it affects a 15-foot cube not just a single space, but point still stands.

Flashy
2015-05-21, 06:48 PM
If it takes an action then it's no different than readying an attack on the first creature that enters that space. EDIT: Just saw that it affects a 15-foot cube not just a single space, but point still stands.

Yeah, the ability is fine as written.

I only mentioned the other option because if it's too early in the sharpshooter progression it becomes a way too reliable source of a second sneak attack per round for an archery rogue. I really meant the at worst part.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-21, 06:51 PM
This ability could also be flavored as Covering Fire, as well.

Steampunkette
2015-05-21, 06:53 PM
The nine classes I'll be making for Clockwork Symphony will be for a game wherein they are the only classes. So I'm not really worried about how they'll interact with the Core Classes, overmuch.

That said, the Medic will have Sneak Attack based on anatomic knowledge. But the fix for that is Medics need to use Pistols for Sneak Attacks while this class feature only works with Rifles.

Flashy
2015-05-21, 06:53 PM
The nine classes I'll be making for Clockwork Symphony will be for a game wherein they are the only classes. So I'm not really worried about how they'll interact with the Core Classes, overmuch.

That said, the Medic will have Sneak Attack based on anatomic knowledge. But the fix for that is Medics need to use Pistols for Sneak Attacks while this class feature only works with Rifles.

Seems 100% fine as written then.

I'd be interested to see the classes as and when you finish them!

Wartex1
2015-05-22, 02:01 PM
I'm interested in the other classes as well. What are they?

Steampunkette
2015-05-22, 02:33 PM
Clockwork Symphony is an MMORPG I tried to get made several years ago. I shopped it around to publishers and even had a development studio willing to help me get it created so long as I could get the funding. Things fell through. Rather than just letting it die, though, I've been redesigning stuff for tabletop use.

The nine classes are:

Sharpshooter: Single Target Ranged Damage Dealer with Debuffing ability. Rifles and Pistols.
Whether you're shooting the guns out of someone's hands or putting a bullet in their shin to keep them from running away the Sharpshooter is your go to guy. Subclasses of Gunslinger, Sniper, and Calvalryman.

Medic: Short Ranged Healing, Support, and Leadership. Pistols.
Whether it's battlefield Triage, morphine injections, or just yelling at the ragtag group of heroes to get off their butts the Medic is the one calling the shots. Subclasses of Commander, Surgeon, and Occultist.

Cannoneer: Ranged Area Damage Dealer with Forced Movement. Shotguns, Hand Cannons, Grenades.
Need something blown up, but good? Call in the Cannoneer. With her explosives in one hand and hand cannon in the other, she'll take care of it for you. Subclasses of Bomb Squad and Bombadier.

Privateer: Mid-Range Light Fighting Stealth Attacker. Sword and Pistol.
Whether it's swinging from a Chandelier or leaping off the deck of an airship, the Privateer is the wildest woman in the room. And you'll never see her coming until it's too late. Subclasses of Tomb Raider, Sky Pirate, and Swashbuckler.

Clockworker: Minion Mastery with short range combat capability. Pistols and Melee Weapons.
The Clockworker crafts Clanks that crash and crush the competition. With a small army of roving minions they lock down the battlefield neat as you please. Subclasses not written, yet.

Dreadnaught: Full Combat Tank. Pistols, Shotguns, and Melee Weapons.
With heavy metal armor, steamtech, and gunpowder, the Dreadnaught is a walking tank capable of crushing foes underfoot. Subclasses not written, yet.

(Mad?) Scientist: Crowd Control and Ranged Support. Pistols and Rifles.
The closest thing CS has got to a classic Caster class, the Scientist uses gizmos and whatsits they've prepared to knock down, trip up, or tear apart their enemies. Subclasses not written, yet.

Engineer: Buffing Beatstick! Shotguns and Melee Weapons.
Braining baddies with a heavy wrench while keeping steamtech working and providing repairs to Clanks, the Engineer is a fairly well rounded combatant who is just as useful off the field. Subclasses not written, yet.

Pilot: Jack of Trades, Master of Some. Pistols, Shotguns, Rifles, and Melee Weapons.
The Pilot is the one person who can fulfill any role for a short time. But he excels at manning the helm of any vehicle he gets his mitts on. In a world where Airships soar the Pilot is king. Subclasses not written, yet.