PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Need help finding a few D&D monsters (any edition)

Oryan77
2015-05-21, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for some official D&D monsters that might fit these concepts. I am not interested in homebrew or customized monsters. I prefer to start with 3rd edition sources and work my way backwards in editions.

Here are 3 creatures I am trying to find:

1. A large sized cyborg-ish wolf (or canine).

2. A large sized worm similar to a purple worm, but large size. The worm can be longer than large, but when it thrusts part of it's body out of the ground to attack, only the length out of ground would be considered large size.

3. A large size tree. Similar to a treant, but large size and not "evil" looking or deciduous.

Saintheart
2015-05-21, 08:48 PM
Dunno about (1) and (3), but for (2) the sandworm from Dune ashworm from Sandstorm sounds like it gets pretty close.

Urpriest
2015-05-21, 08:55 PM
For 3, unless it's a Willow or something you should be able to describe it as either deciduous or not as you wish.

Flickerdart
2015-05-21, 08:57 PM
What about an Effigy or Half-Golem Winter Wolf for #1?

Uncle Pine
2015-05-22, 01:09 AM
1. ???
2. Ashworm (Sandstorm)
3. Awakened Large tree (= Large animated object; Player's Handbook for Awaken and Monster Manual for animated objects)

Venger
2015-05-22, 02:12 AM
3) ironmaw is a very nasty tree monster from the fiend folio that' a killer tree. all kinds of cool powers.

nedz
2015-05-22, 09:07 AM
1. Take a wolf and apply the half Golem template.

The Viscount
2015-05-22, 12:52 PM
1 Ironclad Maulers are I think technically bears, but you could easily call them wolf-like creatures.

2 Burrow Root makes a pretty good worm creature.

Urpriest
2015-05-22, 01:01 PM
Wait, did the size categories even exist in their current form in prior editions? Does this inquiry actually make sense?

Oryan77
2015-05-22, 04:07 PM
Wait, did the size categories even exist in their current form in prior editions? Does this inquiry actually make sense?

Heh, so yer stumped because you can't figure out if an older edition creature would fit in a 1" square or a 2" square simply because they were not called "medium" or "large" size? :smalltongue:

Venger
2015-05-22, 04:19 PM

No, they did not. The hex system is a new development for 3.x older systems did not have sizes. it was all freeform.

Heh, so yer stumped because you can't figure out if an older edition creature would fit in a 1" square or a 2" square simply because they were not called "medium" or "large" size? :smalltongue:

well, no. most monsters didn't have their numerical size listed and the art was, to put it mildly, simplistic, often lacking anything for scale, so yeah, it's understandable Urpriest is unsure.

ShurikVch
2015-05-22, 04:20 PM
1. A large sized cyborg-ish wolf (or canine).Half-Machine template from Dungeon #91

2. A large sized worm similar to a purple worm, but large size. The worm can be longer than large, but when it thrusts part of it's body out of the ground to attack, only the length out of ground would be considered large size.Juvenile Urkhan Worm, Bestiary Of Krynn

nedz
2015-05-22, 04:28 PM

Well older editions didn't have squares because tabletop wargames don't use them — only board games use squares.