PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dragonrider Critique

torrasque666
2015-05-21, 10:21 PM
So I recently decided to step out of my comfort zone a bit and play an Exalted Good Paladin. Deciding to go for the whole shebang with this dragon-themed campaign, he is a mounted combatant and does ride a drakkensteed.

a link to his sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=212871

for those who just want the deets,

Stats:
Feats:

Saint Template (LA already bought off) Human

Working off rolls of 18, 16, 16, 14, 13, 10, bringing totals at level 13 with items to

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

18(+4)
10(+/-0)
16(+3)
18(+4)
16(+3)
26(+8)

Paladin 5/Crusader 3/Vassal of Bahamut 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 3
1: Nymph's Kiss, Mounted Combat (Human), Sacred Vow (Shaky flaw), Vow of Obedience (Honorable Challenge flaw)
3: Ancestral Relic
4: Ride-by-Attack (Holy Warrior ACF)
6: Spirited Charge
9: Power Attack
12: Celestial Mount

Weapon:
Armor:

+2 Dragon Bane, Holy Lance (Ancestral Relic)
planning to add Magebane next level and Merciful at 15
+1 Roaring Platinum Armor (Light Armor, +9 Armor bonus, -1 ACP)
+1 Darkwood rider's shield (Shield, +3 shield bonus, 0 ACP)

Items:
Maneuvers:

Helm of righteous war
Cloak of charisma (+6)
Medal of gallantry
Riding boots
Miscellany worth 2,600 GP
Crusader's Strike
Vanguard Strike
Foehammer
Revitalizing Strike
Divine Surge
Leading the Attack
Battle Leader's Charge
Martial Spirit
Thicket of Blades
Leading the Charge

Spells typically prepared:
Skills

1: Shield of Faith x2
2: Ayailla's Radiant Burst
2: Shield Other
Concentration: +16 (13 ranks)
Craft (Armorsmithing): +22 (16 ranks, masterwork tool)
Diplomacy: +34 (16 ranks, +2 traits, +4 untyped [Nymph's Kiss, Medal of Gallantry], +2 perfection [Sacred Vow]+2 synergy
Hide: +3 (4 ranks, -1 ACP)
Intimidate: +20 (12 ranks)
Know(Religion): +20 (16 ranks)
Ride: +21 (16 ranks, +5 competence [Riding Boots])
Sense Motive: +14 (12 ranks, -1 traits)
Spellcraft: +17 (13 ranks)

how did I do?

Any thing that I could do better?

Any advice for the next few levels? Campaign will probably go until 20.

Karl Aegis
2015-05-21, 10:47 PM
You seem to be missing a resistance bonus to saves. I recommend having a resistance bonus to saves.

torrasque666
2015-05-21, 10:58 PM
You seem to be missing a resistance bonus to saves. I recommend having a resistance bonus to saves.
I could probably feasibly drop about 1,900 off of his equipment, as I'd really prefer to not have to drop the manacles. Though the manacles won't really be of much use until I get the Merciful property... hmm..... that would leave me with enough of a budget to get a +2 resistance bonus added to my Cloak of Charisma. I still kinda feel a need to be sold on it.

Another question, can a flying mount turn in place and charge?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-22, 10:52 AM
Another question, can a flying mount turn in place and charge?
Turning in place requires at least average maneuverability. Perfect allows you to turn as much as you want (like walking), good allows a 90 degree turn at a cost of 5' movement, and average a 45' degree turn for the same cost. With average maneuverability, you can turn up to a maximum of 90 degrees in any one space, so if you want to turn around, you'll have to turn 90 degrees (costs 10'), move 5', then turn another 90 degrees, for a total cost of 25' movement. Creatures with good or better maneuverability can also fly in reverse, but that probably won't let you charge (ask your DM).

Charging while flying is no different than charging while running - straight line only.

torrasque666
2015-05-22, 11:00 AM
Turning in place requires at least average maneuverability. Perfect allows you to turn as much as you want (like walking), good allows a 90 degree turn at a cost of 5' movement, and average a 45' degree turn for the same cost. With average maneuverability, you can turn up to a maximum of 90 degrees in any one space, so if you want to turn around, you'll have to turn 90 degrees (costs 10'), move 5', then turn another 90 degrees, for a total cost of 25' movement. Creatures with good or better maneuverability can also fly in reverse, but that probably won't let you charge (ask your DM).

Charging while flying is no different than charging while running - straight line only.
Great.. Welp, that locks in my drakkensteed's spare feat into Improved Flight. Anyway to improves its maneuverability another step?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-22, 11:11 AM
Great.. Welp, that locks in my drakkensteed's spare feat into Improved Flight. Anyway to improves its maneuverability another step?
There's the pectoral of maneuverability, 12.000 gp for one category better, or 90.000 for two categories. These are based on the (greater) wings of air spells, which are druid/wizard 2 and 4 respectively. They last 1 minute/level.

torrasque666
2015-05-22, 11:13 AM
There's the pectoral of maneuverability, 12.000 gp for one category better, or 90.000 for two categories. These are based on the (greater) wings of air spells, which are druid/wizard 2 and 4 respectively. They last 1 minute/level.
Bit out of my price range for now. But I guess they're on the list then.

Ungoded
2015-05-22, 11:26 AM
If all you want is to turn in place, the wingover feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm) gives one 180 degree turn each round as a free action that eats 10' of movement.

Andezzar
2015-05-22, 12:32 PM
If all you want is to turn in place, the wingover feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm) gives one 180 degree turn each round as a free action that eats 10' of movement.That unfortunately does not help with charging. You can only charge if your movement is not hampered. If you have to spend 10' to line up your charge, your movement is hampered.

But I would talk to the DM. it is just weird that D&D generally does not have facing but de facto introduces it for all flying creatures without perfect maneuverability. I would allow lining up "between turns" for all flying creatures.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-22, 01:04 PM
Well, it's totally lame, but you can always just cast fly on your mount.

Andezzar
2015-05-22, 01:08 PM
Good maneuverability granted by the Fly spell unfortunately is insufficient for charging most of the time. The exception being that the target of the charge does not move for two rounds (or one round and has lower initiative than the charger).

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-22, 01:35 PM
Good maneuverability granted by the Fly spell unfortunately is insufficient for charging most of the time. The exception being that the target of the charge does not move for two rounds (or one round and has lower initiative than the charger).
With the Improved Flight feat, the mount would have perfect maneuverability.

Incidentally, master air is a fair alternative to fly: 90' speed, good maneuverability, second-level spell (druid, sadly). Downside: it lasts 1 round/level, instead of 1 minute/level. If you're persisting something, try getting master air on your list somehow.

torrasque666
2015-05-22, 01:51 PM
With the Improved Flight feat, the mount would have perfect maneuverability.

Incidentally, master air is a fair alternative to fly: 90' speed, good maneuverability, second-level spell (druid, sadly). Downside: it lasts 1 round/level, instead of 1 minute/level. If you're persisting something, try getting master air on your list somehow.
I'm not persisting anything. Don't have DMM, don't even have Persist.