PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Petal Sorcerer

Gale
2015-05-21, 10:25 PM
I've been thinking of interesting character concepts for a campaign a friend of mine is running over the summer. I was looking through a Sorcerer guide and saw Petal (MM3) as a suggested race. They're normally only allowed as cohorts, but I could potentially convince my DM to allow it. They get +10 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Int, +8 Cha along with DR 5/ cold iron. Also they can fly at 60 feet with good maneuverability. The only downside is they have a level adjustment of 2. I’m wondering how much that would actually hurt in a character build. Is it worth it or am I better off picking another race?

Hiro Quester
2015-05-21, 10:51 PM
I've been thinking of interesting character concepts for a campaign a friend of mine is running over the summer. I was looking through a Sorcerer guide and saw Petal (MM3) as a suggested race. They're normally only allowed as cohorts, but I could potentially convince my DM to allow it. They get +10 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Int, +8 Cha along with DR 5/ cold iron. Also they can fly at 60 feet with good maneuverability. The only downside is they have a level adjustment of 2. I’m wondering how much that would actually hurt in a character build. Is it worth it or am I better off picking another race?

That sounds like a lot for LA2. I imagine this why it's only for NPCs

bekeleven
2015-05-21, 10:52 PM
Honestly, that hurts a caster a lot, unless you're starting at reasonably high levels and can buy the adjustment off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm).

Sorcerers already get slow spell progression - they get each spell a level after wizards. As a petal with full level adjustment, you're getting spells 3 levels after a wizard.

Petals are good for high levels when you can buy off the LA, or for wacky martial builds that don't mind being tiny and having -8 strength. (I like swordsage)

Heliomance
2015-05-22, 03:37 AM
Yeah, don't forget the downside of -8 strength. They're also Tiny - though that's not really a problem for a sorcerer.