PDA

View Full Version : [Unchained/Spheres of Power] Making A Useful But Not Gamebreaking Summon Character

PlatinumVixen
2015-05-22, 07:16 AM
Hey folks, I need a little help with a newish character and I feel a little out of my league here.

So we've started a new game. Essentially I and what turned out to be seven other players are essentially playing a team of Chosen Ones from eight different races; the plot goes that the world we're playing on was created by our goddess only 100 years ago, and we're being sent into a Super Mega Dungeon of her own creation to prove ourselves worthy of driving the destiny of the planet forward. Or something like that.

Anyway, everyone was given a schtick to work with. The problem is my schtick was Creating Life (along with fertility and motherhood symbolism), which from the terms I was given basically stuck me with healing and summons, with the suggestion that my summons pick up where ever the party was lacking; this was considered fitting due to my tendency to overly mother party members anyway.

Of course, then we ended up with eight people and I'm slightly at a loss as to how to be useful outside of healing (which is, while useful enough, probably not going to be a major issue most of the time and could end up super boring) without being completely obnoxious.

We're using Spheres of Power for the magic stuff. Here's the general outline of the other characters I've been given:

Melee/Support (Path of War Mystic with War sphere through feats)
Tank (Path of War Warder)
Control/Debuffs (I think a Dragonfire Adept, but I'm not sure)
Melee (Path of War Zweihander Sentinel, I believe)
Support (Sphere Bard)
Some Sort Of Forest Hunter Character (I have no idea; Probably something Druidy)
Other Guy (I Still Have No Idea)

I am planning to use either the Unchained Summoner or the Incanter (the former converted to Spheres) though I'm willing to take other suggestions.

The requirements I've been given:

- Try to keep most abilities centered around the theme of creating things or giving life
- Must have at least one summon (either the Eidolon of a Summoner or a semi-permanently summoned Conjuration Companion)
- Am not allowed to build an entire battalion of super-powered high damage monsters (given that these seem to be the easiest Eidolon/Companion builds, this is potentially an issue, not that I'd want to do that anyway)

Some useful additional notes:

- Alignment doesn't matter; any of the Unchained Eidolons are accessible.
- Miiiiiight be able to get by with Death as long as it's fluffed appropriately
- Character's race is homebrewed, but based off of D&D's weird general tendency to have one gender parasitic monster races (specifically the female ones in this case, albeit taken in more of an 'adorable' fashion).

Vhaidara
2015-05-22, 07:35 AM
I'm actually working on a summoning sphere for the contest. I plan to finish it this weekend. I could send you the google doc when I do. Get in a Bit of play testing.

PlatinumVixen
2015-05-22, 11:01 AM
No promises on me being allowed to actually use it but I would definitely be intrigued.

Eldaran
2015-05-22, 03:25 PM
I don't know much about Spheres, but are you allowed to apply Form traits to your Eidolon if you go Summoner? Because if so I'd definitely do that, you can make a ridiculously strong one by combining evolutions and the conjuration sphere. I'd probably go with making them more tanky/versatile than a straight melee powerhouse, because you will overshadow others if you go with the basic natural attack max strength pouncing ball of claws.