PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Action Point Variant (A non level-dependent variation to the Hero Point option)

Rezby
2015-05-22, 09:26 AM
So I'm about to start DMing a 5e game, and I'm considering adding a little bit of oomph as a variant rule for my players. This would be in addition to Inspiration, which I am keeping as written in PHB.

Variant Rule: Action Points
Characters have 1/4th their level, rounding up, in Action Points. They can spend 1 after rolling a d20 to add 1d6 to the roll, whether it's an attack roll, an ability or skill check, or a saving throw. Alternatively, they can be used to turn a failed death saving throw into a success. They regain any spent Action Points after finishing a long rest. You may not spend more than one at a time unless you have the feat as described down the page.

So at levels 1-4, they'd have a single AP
at 5-8, they'd have two
at 9-12, they'd have three
at 13-16, they'd have four, and
at 17+, they'd have five.

I am also thinking about adding a feat they could take:
In The Thick Of It

You gain an additional action point.
You can spend more than 1 at a time.
You can now influence the rolls of your allies and enemies as well. You can spend action points and have an ally receive the bonus, or you can spend action points and deduct the d6 from your enemy's rolls.
You are no longer limited to spending them on d20 rolls. They can now be used for damage rolls, when spending Hit Dice, and for effects that heal a non-static number. Note that this does not apply when rolling on a table to determine a random effect.

What do you all think about it? Is it too strong or imbalanced? Its mostly meant to be Hero Points but on an x per long rest scale rather than an x per level scale. The feat was intended to be the Action Point specific Lucky. Maybe I should add a clause to it saying you can't take both Lucky and In the Thick of It.... Anyways, thoughts and critiques welcomed.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-22, 09:36 AM
So I'm about to start DMing a 5e game, and I'm considering adding a little bit of oomph as a variant rule for my players. This would be in addition to Inspiration, which I am keeping as written in PHB.

Variant Rule: Action Points
Characters have 1/4th their level, rounding up, in Action Points. They can spend 1 after rolling a d20 to add 1d6 to the roll, whether it's an attack roll, an ability or skill check, or a saving throw. Alternatively, they can be used to turn a failed death saving throw into a success. They regain any spent Action Points after finishing a long rest. You may not spend more than one at a time unless you have the feat as described down the page.

So at levels 1-4, they'd have a single AP
at 5-8, they'd have two
at 9-12, they'd have three
at 13-16, they'd have four, and
at 17+, they'd have five.

I think this is probably fine as it applies to every PC.

I am also thinking about adding a feat they could take:
In The Thick Of It

You gain an additional action point.
You can spend more than 1 at a time.
You can now influence the rolls of your allies and enemies as well. You can spend action points and have an ally receive the bonus, or you can spend action points and deduct the d6 from your enemy's rolls.
You are no longer limited to spending them on d20 rolls. They can now be used for damage rolls, when spending Hit Dice, and for effects that heal a non-static number. Note that this does not apply when rolling on a table to determine a random effect.

What do you all think about it? Is it too strong or imbalanced? Its mostly meant to be Hero Points but on an x per long rest scale rather than an x per level scale. The feat was intended to be the Action Point specific Lucky. Maybe I should add a clause to it saying you can't take both Lucky and In the Thick of It.... Anyways, thoughts and critiques welcomed.
It's weird, i find the feat's abilities really strong but at the same time I don't think I'd bother taking it. I'd suggest specifying how many action points they can spend at once, because it feels weird to be able to spend 6 at once.

Rezby
2015-05-22, 09:48 AM
I thought about imposing some limit on how many AP can be spent, even with the feat, but its like, if you're willing to blow the entirety of your daily resource on a single thing to guarantee that one arrow will hit the leader of the encroaching army, it doesn't seem that bad. Sure, it can make a couple rolls ridiculous. So can lucky. But they're both very limited in terms of how many times per day you can use that ridiculousness. Lucky is flat out 3, and I chose to make AP tiered, to give a sense of personal growth or w/e.

And yeah, I meant to clarify that every PC will have action points with this variant. Of course, so will important NPCs.

EDIT: also, if i was playing i'd have similar feelings about how strong it is and how 95% of my characters aren't going to take it anyways. Kind of like Lucky.

2EDIT: The thing about having 6 AP is by then, you're level 17 and have spent a feat, full casters have access to 9th level spells and martial characters are reaching the peak of their prowess. Being able to pull off an incredibly flashy thing at first seems a little off, but then when you compare it to everybody else? its fine. at least imo. The strongest benefit of the feat isn't the stacking APs but being able to use them to debuff enemies, after they roll. Fantastic for when you really want your enemy to fail their saving throw against the caster's spell, whether you're the caster or not. Or just for avoiding hits.