PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Unarmed swordsage

ShiningCrusader
2015-05-22, 04:06 PM
Hello everyone! i currently building a martial artist/street fighter/or brawler type unarmed swordsage. but as i was building it i had some trouble with understanding the text (poorly written if you ask me). i understand that gain the monks unarmed damage progression and lose you armor proficiency, but here's the questions, 1) do you gain improved unarmed strike as well? 2) can they be treated like natural weapons like a monk for feats/items? 3) if i gain a prestige class that progresses a monks unarmed damage, doe that apply to a USS as well? 4)does the USS count as "monk for feats/items like Superior unarmed strike/monks belt/etc? i just can't figure it out.

Red Fel
2015-05-22, 04:15 PM
Hello everyone! i currently building a martial artist/street fighter/or brawler type unarmed swordsage. but as i was building it i had some trouble with understanding the text (poorly written if you ask me). i understand that gain the monks unarmed damage progression and lose you armor proficiency, but here's the questions, 1) do you gain improved unarmed strike as well? 2) can they be treated like natural weapons like a monk for feats/items? 3) if i gain a prestige class that progresses a monks unarmed damage, doe that apply to a USS as well? 4)does the USS count as "monk for feats/items like Superior unarmed strike/monks belt/etc? i just can't figure it out.

What you have to understand, first and foremost, is that the Unarmed Swordsage is not a traditional variant or ACF, but an "Adaptation," an optional rule that is presented in an incomplete manner, to be hashed out between players and DM. It's up to you and your DM to determine what, specifically, it provides. All that said, I'll answer your questions with as much RAW-precision as I can.

1. Unclear. I would say yes, since IUS is an integral part of the Monk's unarmed progression.

2. Unclear. I would say yes, as above. Basically, when I see "Monk's unarmed progression," I just treat the Unarmed Swordsage as receiving everything in the Monk's Unarmed Strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm#unarmedStrike) class entry.

3. By RAW, no. If it says it stacks with Monk, then it stacks with Monk, not Swordsage. By logic, I would say yes. I would treat Swordsage levels as Monk levels for the purpose of advancing class features common to both, such as unarmed progression or AC bonus.

4. By RAW, no, for reasons above. By logic, I would say yes, for reasons above.

Notice that I modify each of my answers with "I would." That's a personal recommendation on my part, and not binding RAW. Talk to your DM and find out if Unarmed Swordsage is right for you.

And if it isn't, take Superior Unarmed Strike.