PDA

View Full Version : Computer Space Station 13 - Sealab 2021; In Space!

Surrealistik
2015-05-22, 04:53 PM
Free multiplayer modification that uses the BYOND engine and client.

This game is essentially Sealab 2021 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealab_2021) in space meets Dwarf Fortress for those familiar with the show, albeit with at least a passing semblance/veneer of professionalism. Essentially it focuses on an ill-fated research space station manned by (mostly) incompetents (i.e. the players), where all manners of horrible misfortunes happen in perpetuity, ranging from commandos of a rival corporation attempting to destroy the place with a nuclear device, Dennis Nedry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfiQYRn7fBg) style traitors/spies bent on assassinating crew/stealing valuable items/causing chaos, S̢̹͍̥̮̝̝̙p̤͓̖͎̤̝͡a̖̯͎̞̞̗ç͖̰̭̖è ̷͉̙͓̱C̲͎̱t̠͎̯̪̣͡h͖̦ͅu̳͎̜͈̫̠ͅl̜̺̺̖͇͔̟͝ḥ̥̦̝̱̳u (http://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Cult_Magic), T-1000 like Changelings that harvest genomes by absorbing victims into their bodies, cancerous blobs growing uncontrollably as they devour the station, to malfunctioning AIs attempting to hijack its systems and/or kill everyone GLaDOS style before they begin their reign as the supreme being of all that exists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKE4YExWcy8&feature=player_detailpage#t=210). Gameplay is delineated into rounds which generally last 1-2 hours, though they can sometimes be much longer depending on the nature of the crisis, and the willingness of the crew to tough it out rather than escape via emergency shuttle.

In the meanwhile, you pick out a role in one of the departments, Security, Science, Engineering, Medical, etc... and do your job as best you can while things go to hell, or even help rectify the crisis of the day.

Beyond the granularity of the mechanics that allow for nearly anything and struggling with antags, roleplaying your character(s) is also a prominent element of the game; the degree to which RP is valued depends on the server, but many do place a meaningful emphasis on this.

It's totally free and only requires getting the BYOND client (which is also free!):

Obligatory Wiki: http://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

BYOND Client: http://www.byond.com/download/

Space Station 13 in a Nutshell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA

I usually play on the Paradise server.

Surrealistik
2015-05-24, 06:49 PM
So does anyone else on GitP play?

Also, would be happy to answer any questions GitPers might have about the game.

Otomodachi
2015-05-25, 02:21 AM
So does anyone else on GitP play?

Also, would be happy to answer any questions GitPers might have about the game.

Yeah, I play with the Goons in EU 4. Fantastic game. Love the blob.

Grif
2015-05-25, 02:33 AM
Tried getting into it, but BYOND doesn't play nice with my internet, and I keep getting odd freezes or disconnections off the bat.

Too bad really. It looked fun.

Surrealistik
2015-05-25, 01:01 PM
@ Otomodachi: I tried EU4, I really did, but the lag there is too intense for me (located in Toronto). :(

@ Grif: Which server did you attempt to connect to?

Otomodachi
2015-05-25, 11:08 PM
@ Otomodachi: I tried EU4, I really did, but the lag there is too intense for me (located in Toronto). :(

That's so funny, I actually live on an island in Maine but seem to have good internet, despite all indications otherwise.

What's your favourite job? What's your favourite antag? What are some features of your server codebase that might be unique to it?

Grif
2015-05-25, 11:16 PM

The /tg/ one, actually. (There's always an ongoing SS13 thread on the chans.) I kinda just gave up at the end and played something else.

Surrealistik
2015-05-26, 02:25 AM
That's so funny, I actually live on an island in Maine but seem to have good internet, despite all indications otherwise.

It's not unplayable exactly, but it's not really fluid either, and feels lurching; would be totally unacceptable in combat.

What's your favourite job? What's your favourite antag? What are some features of your server codebase that might be unique to it?

AI/Medical Cyborg are probably my favourite jobs.

AI when I feel like an exciting and intense exercise in futility by micromanaging the station and helping Security track and take down perps, Medborg when I feel like unwinding with a round of pacifist altruism.

Least favourite is pretty much any Security role; all the stress of the AI, none of the thanks or gratitude; you're usually considered guilty of being ****curity until explicitly and repeatedly proven otherwise, and often there's no winning as everyone disagrees what level of force is adequate for a situation.

Fav antag? Malfunctioning AI, definitely, no brainer, at least if I have borgs on hand to order around.

As for Paradise' codebase, it's an odd mish-mash of Baystation and TG's codebases; typically combines the best of them and new features are constantly being added. I absolutely _love_ the Robotics control interface for the AI.

@ Grif: Try Paradise; lag there is usually minimal, and it's always well populated.

druid91
2015-05-26, 02:31 PM
Mostly I just ignore accusations of poor sec unless I see it myself. And the level of force required is whatever level stops them. If they wanted to not be shot in the face they shouldn't have been running around removing peoples arms with a lightsaber.

NEO|Phyte
2015-05-26, 02:58 PM
Man, SS13, that takes me back. Played the hell out of it back in olden times (pre-opensource, pre-power, pre-lighting), somewhere along the line ended up as one of the head coders for /tg/station (the first /tg/station, not the more recent one, unsure what name the second goes by). Eventually burned out, and I'm probably not going back unless one of the 'lets remake it on an engine other than BYOND' initiatives finally bears fruit.

Eldan
2015-05-27, 08:11 AM
I think I played the odd game of it years ago, but never really got into it. Remember it as fun, but chaotic, confusing, complicated and other c-words.

What are good servers for a relative newcomer to get on?

Surrealistik
2015-05-27, 12:17 PM
Hard to say, though I would _definitely_ avoid low/no RP servers which are effectively giant thunderdomes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHU6K47qgc8) in space.

The Baystation official server might be a good place to start; it's a high RP server which is relatively calm. Pick a non-head, non-security role that appeals to you, and ask for training/instruction: http://baystation12.net/

Once you've got a decent understanding of a couple of roles, and how to do them, as well as the combat system (you will need to learn basic self-defense) head over to Paradise.

So far as fighting/self-defense goes, the main things to concern yourself with are the Disarm and Harm intents, found in the lower right hand corner.

Disarm is great if you're forced into a confrontation with someone that has superior weaponry, or you want to resolve a combat non-violently; it has a chance of stealing your target's weapon, causing the target to drop their weapon, or pushing your target down (which also causes them to drop their weapon). Note that cyborgs and some other types of creatures cannot be disarmed or pushed down.

Harm intent is for actually beating the **** out of people. You'll generally want to aim for the head on the area targeting figure (usually found in the lower right corner) as blows here have a good chance of blinding/concussing/knocking your target down or out. If the head is armoured, the leg can be a great alternative if you need to flee, or the arms if you want to disable their ability to attack you (you only need to badly damage one leg to stop them from pursuing you!). Excellent improvised weapons include fire extinguishers, toolboxes, circular saws, scalpels (if you can get them) and lit welders. Attacking unprotected eyes with sharp/pointed objects (scalpels, screwdrivers) will typically blind and/or stun the target if you land a solid hit.

Hiding can be a good alternative to combat; lockers are great places for that. Open the locker, then close it when you're on the same tile (just be wary of getting welded inside). Lockers are wonderfully versatile, and can also act as a form of mobile cover when closed and dragged about.

Eldan
2015-05-31, 12:36 PM
Wellll... logged in to play a game, see if I still knew the controls. Spawned as a tourist, escaped the shuttle, went into the cafeteria and was killed by an explosion. Playtime: about three minutes.

Surrealistik
2015-06-01, 06:36 PM
It happens, especially if you join a round late.

Again, you'll want to avoid low RP servers like Hippie Station, /TG/ and Goon; Thunderdome in space is a charitable way to describe them; try Paradise and especially Baystation.

Eldan
2015-06-02, 03:53 AM
That was Paradise :smalltongue:

I'll hang around a bit more. Turns out that I have forgotten almost everything.

Egneil
2015-06-07, 12:31 AM
This seems like an interesting game, so I downloaded it and decided to start as a botanist. I figured that it would give me the best shot at easing into the game, but now I'm stuck. I can keep the cook going with a lot of food and monkeys, but I can't seem to mutate anything worthwhile and the wiki is not very helpful in explaining things...

Do you have any tips for what a botanist should do after the chef has what they need?

Surrealistik
2015-06-07, 03:40 PM
I normally play AI and Engineering/Sec/Medborgs and have never really touched Botany, so I can't help you all that much. To get plants to mutate though, you would use unstable mutagens; just order them from the Chemist or Science team.

I'm not sure which guide to point you to since I don't know what server you're playing on and which codebase the Botany system you're interacting with uses (different codebases can have vastly different mechanics). However, once you know the codebase, just search Guide to Botany + the wiki for said codebase.

Egneil
2015-06-08, 03:58 AM
I've been playing on the Paradise server, so I don't yet have access to those classes at the moment. I have also looked on their wiki to try and figure it out, but it seems out of date as I haven't noticed various mechanics occurring when they should. Most notably, the special effects of the other nutriments not having any visible impact.

Eldan
2015-06-08, 04:56 AM
I'm also on Paradise, going by the ridiculous (and randomly generated) name of Lorde Dimeling. (I will claim to be British nobility, if asked). I've been doing botany and a bit of engineering yesterday, during the Captain's wedding.

Maybe we've met?

Egneil
2015-06-08, 08:49 AM
I think so, I'm using the name of Cayden Riggle and I mostly just try to supply the Chef when I play. While I generally don't keep track of names I think you where the other botanist on-board.

Surrealistik
2015-06-09, 12:20 PM
You consulted this wiki page right? http://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Botanist

If so, and the info there is out of date, I would recommend asking for tips on the forums: http://nanotrasen.se/phpBB3/index.php

Sadly, this is one of the few job roles I have absolutely zero expertise on/knowledge of.

Hazzardevil
2015-06-11, 11:20 AM
I gave it a short go ages ago, I should probably give it another go soon. I remember going in, locked in a room as some sort of character with no authority whatsoever and everyone refused to let me out.

Eldan
2015-06-12, 04:48 PM
This was seriously epic. And hilarious.

So I was blind. Stumbled aroudn a bit. Hacked a door. Went into a room, opened some valve. Lit a welding tool, because why not.

Result? Plasma fire takes out most of research, and the fire also contains an airborne virus and a toxin.

Level five biohazard and I think it infected most of the engineers who came to fix it.

I'm sorry, it wasn't on purpose, but it was seriously hilarious.

Edit: the best part, of course, is that all traitors failed because the station was evaced before they could do anything.

Surrealistik
2015-06-13, 12:04 PM
Lol, what? On Paradise? And you weren't antag? Did you get any admin reprimands?

Eldan
2015-06-14, 08:26 AM
No reprimands, no. I apologized OOC (being blind as well as bored is a good excuse, it seems) and all I got was a sarcastic "congratulations" from one admin.

I really need to go over my role settings again. After being engineer, medic and botanist, tourist is just so damn boring.

Surrealistik
2015-06-21, 04:42 PM
I can't stand Tourist/Civvie; beyond boring. I just use them as an intermediary state before I join the borg collective.

SS13's 3-D Spiritual Successor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJh0e1gNKt0

Surrealistik
2015-06-23, 10:55 PM
A surreal experience was recently had aboard the Paradise server; my first ever encounter with furry terrorism: http://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/3auk4f/furry_terrorists_assault_paradise_bombing_ensues/