PDA

View Full Version : A Firestorm Over Verto

Jormengand
2015-05-22, 05:04 PM
Having landed in the desert, with no idea where to go, you were shown the way to the centre of the desert. People around you treat you like some kind of god. You don't know why.

"Welcome to my invention."

Who could come up with this? A world torn into warring nations, not a single one at all like any other, and this... a desert in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nothing at all?

"Welcome to my world."

And these people have to live in this world? This world that if this person's simple greeting is to be believed is just a creation of an overactive imagination? Who would make this?

"Welcome to the game."

And is this just a game? Who would make all this just to laugh at the poor people who had to live there? None of this makes sense.

You are torn from your line of thought as you reach the ruins in the centre of the desert.

Magikeeper
2015-05-22, 09:27 PM
Yuri brushes a hand against the old stone, confirming to herself once again that this place appears to be more than just a dream. She walks deeper into the abandoned ruins at the heart of Verto before taking a seat on a overturned pillar.

"So. I've fallen from the sky, and the world needs me to... do what, exactly?"

She'd read a lot of stories about stuff like this. Terrible evils, majestic heroes - she was going to be a hero, of course, but the actual doing of it was a bit tricky. The local people must have some kind of government, maybe she should go talk to the leader(s)? Actually, she probably should have done that before running off into the ruins! Gah, great way to start your new job as divine savior, Yuri!

The girl hops back to her feet and starts heading back out of the ruins. The citizens would probably find it odd how she asked for a place to collect her thoughts only to immediately come back out, but.. eh... maybe she could pass it off as being a quick thinker? Yeah, that's the ticket.

The evoker tries to find a lone individual or a small group. One that doesn't look particularly busy, that is. The whole town would probably start a song-and-dance number if she willed it, but that wasn't a reason to have them do it!

Jormengand
2015-05-23, 06:54 AM
You see a group of three humans sitting around talking, and another one walking on her own. A few dwarves are milling about, taking a break from their work - whatever their work is, in any case. A group of warforged moves along, having a conversation that seems more agitated than warforged would usually have.

Magikeeper
2015-05-23, 11:43 AM
Hrm.. the lone woman might be a good choice but.. the warforged might be agitated about something serious? Maybe she could learn something that needs fixing right now.

Yuri almost heads over to the construct group, only to stop herself when she realizes she doesn't really know how to start that conversation. "Hey, you seem agitated - maybe I can be of service?"??

She heads to the milling about dwarves instead. Bearings first, random help offering later.

"Excuse me. I, uh, fell from the sky about an hour ago. Could you tell me a bit about this city, its leaders, any great problems it has?"

Jormengand
2015-05-23, 01:23 PM
The dwarves look at each other as though they've seen something that they had all been told would happen, and never quite believed it. "Fell from the sky? Wait, you don't think...?"
"Oh come on, mate, she's having us on. Everyone's heard about the prophecy, and she's not the first to try and pass herself off as the Chosen."
"Just look at her! She's not some old runt from the slums, is she?"
"Hmm... you've a point. So anyway, whatever's the case, welcome to Verto, ruled by one Thurnus Mithraldir, the centre of trade in the middle of nowhere. Full of these warforged things, since they're the ones who made the first bits of it, and then there's us dwarves who found the damned thing when the warforged lost it. These gnomes decided that, hey, they'd show up and help us, the elans ran away from whoever and ended up here, and you've got humans who're here because they're everywhere, then elves, halflings, orcs and whatnot that pass through every however often."

"Right now," picks up the other, "We're kinda looking for a miracle. Each of the realms is supposed to get its own Chosen, who is destined to fall into the sky from some whole other world and lead us to victory. If that really is you, I'd suggest talking to the king, since he seems to know what's what."

Magikeeper
2015-05-24, 01:19 AM
Hrm, so there were other "chosen", and the nations might not be working together? Some sort of war game? But if nothing was making them fight, maybe she could unite the players!

"That sounds like a plan. Thanks for your help!" **lightly hops backward into the air** "Where should I go to find the king?"

The girl tried to recall the most impressive buildings she'd passed on her way to the ruins. Maybe it was the stone tower? Or the squat marble building. Or even underground - there weren't many dwarves in Yuri's homeworld, but she was pretty sure living underground was a thing they did. Although that might be a world-specific sort of thing?

Jormengand
2015-05-24, 03:33 PM
You actually know the answer to that question and I don't, so...

"Come, I'll show you. Nothing better to do right this moment in time, anyhow."

Magikeeper
2015-05-25, 12:23 PM
"Thanks! I'm Yuri Asanova."

It doesn't prove to be a long walk, the duo arriving before the squat marble building in a matter of minutes. The dawn's light completely overtakes the city as Yuri and the helpful dwarf enter the building. Yuri's initial surprise that they could just walk in was replaced with understanding as she looked about the first floor - the king's meeting room was underground. Looks like she'll have to speak with the guards next... she should try to look more impressive for this. The girl unleashes her true nature and puts on a determined face.

"Hello! I fell from the sky recently, can I speak with the king?"

She quickly smiles as well, rapidly switching to a more relaxed stance with all the grace of a drunk bison after looking at the people's response to her 'determined' face.

@Location: Ah, I was leaving it open in case you had a preference. Although in retrospect I should have mentioned that. My apologies.

Yuri manifested her true nature (wings, the extra eyes, etc), I should have said if she was already in it or not at the start. If you were operating under the impression she was already in it I can edit this post. She chooses to exclude everyone she's aware of from the fear effect.

Unintentional Intimidate Check: [roll0]
Diplomacy Check: [roll1]

Jormengand
2015-05-27, 07:02 PM
"Fell from the... dear god. Sir! SIR! It's the chosen! No, I've not gone mad, she's right there! No, seriously..."

The guard's voice trails off as he runs to tell the king of your arrival. Huh.

Magikeeper
2015-05-27, 10:52 PM
Yuri smiles at the display. She was a convincing champion, at least!

The girl patiently waits for the dwarves to give her further instruction, excitedly glancing about the spiraling staircase leading deeper into the structure as she waits.

Jormengand
2015-05-28, 07:02 PM
The other guard, looking shaken but slightly more in control of himself, nods to you. "You'd better come in, Chosen." He gestures for you to follow him.

Magikeeper
2015-05-29, 03:04 AM
Yuri follows the dwarf.

"Ah, I apologize if I startled you."

She was beginning to feel a little bad about her earlier display... she'd have to remember to be more.. refined.. next time... Focus! The girl takes a deep breath. Whatever the king was about to tell her was going to be extremely important.

Yuri finishes collecting her thoughts by the time the dwarf leads her to a particularly impressive set of doors.

Jormengand
2015-06-01, 09:07 AM
The king smiles as you appear. "Ah, Chosen. It's good to see you arrive, after all this time. I have to admit, I doubted you'd ever arrive. Now, how much have you had explained to you, hmm?"

Magikeeper
2015-06-02, 06:23 PM
"Well... I know this city's name is Verto. Dwarves, warforged, gnomes, elan, humans, and others live here." Yuri marked each group off on a finger " My arrival was prophesied, and there are other chosen, also from another world, that fell to other cities. I'm apparently really powerful relative to the other people here." The girl couldn't help but smile about that. Although..

"I was also told that I'm supposed to lead you to victory, but why do the realms have to fight in the first place?"