PDA

View Full Version : Need help with character design.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-05-22, 09:11 PM
Soo, i have this group of characters in a story I'm writing.
They each wear a long cloak, with the symbol of their organization on it and their rank in said organization.
But, I'm having trouble with the symbol.
You see, I decided to use a combination of symbols from non-Roman based languages.
The problem with this approach is, I don't know any other languages.
So, I decided to come to all of you for help, 'cause you are awesome people.

To help here is some info.

The characters are supposed to be protectors of the "universe" that I'm writing them in.

The organization spans multiple worlds and time periods.

Annd i think that's it!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Artman77
2015-06-22, 02:43 AM
I realize this is like a month old, but I was playing around with insignia the other day. Here's what I got:
insignia (https://wingmind.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/insignia.jpg)

"john johnson" would be the fully-awarded, topped-out veteran, "alex winter" would be more of the average joe type soldier.
The symbol is a 8-pointed star inside a circle, representing sovereignty and inter-connectedness within the universe.
The lowest ray of the star is overlapped with signs which represent a level of training or achievement.
I thought the first badge below the insignia would be the location of their base of operation(s), and the badge below that would be the planet.
The simple diamond patch with the star/circle symbol could be given to those deputized by their leader.

1 - special status; could apply to commanders of multiple armies/bases?
1a. - the rectangle could be divided into one, two, three, or four parts. I have four shown here.
1b. - the dashes could indicate a status or achievement relevant to, but independent of, how many armies/bases they control.
F - recruit/trainee
E - grunt
B-D - levels of rank
A - commander rank
B and G - have "tails" denoting a position of authority not fitting into the normal hierarchy
H-L - levels of weapons and combat training
M-P - regions of authority
M - universe
N - intergalactic
O - galactic
P - interstellar
I didn't include "stellar" (single system) because I thought that would be the default, and adding a symbol for it would be redundant.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-06-22, 08:54 PM
Thanks, I had all but given up hope that some one would respond.
Thank you.
You seem to have put a lot of work in to this. So i must ask you, how long did this take?