PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Bard College

TheOOB
2015-05-22, 10:39 PM
The Beguiler was my favorite 3.5 class, and looking at the spellcasters the Bard is the most apt class to get a beguiler-esq path. Here is my (very) rough draft at making said path.

College of Silence

Bonus Proficiencies
When you join the College of Silence at 3rd level you gain proficiency in the Deception and Stealth skills. If you are already proficient in either or both of those skills you may choose a different skill(s) to become proficient in.

Also at 3rd level you gain proficiency with Thieve's Tools. If you are already proficient in their use you may instead learn a new language or become proficient in a tool of your choice.

Subtle Spell
After you join the college at 3rd level whenever you cast a spell you may expend one use of Bardic Inspiration to cast without any somatic or verbal components.

Cloaked Casting
Starting at 6th level your spells become more potent against unwary foes. If you cast a spell against a foe who is surprised or unaware of you they gain disadvantage on any saving throws against that spell and you gain advantage on any attack rolls made by that spell.

Master of the Mind
Starting at 14th you automatically sense the prescense and location of any creature within 100ft of you who has a mind, and you may communication telepathically with any creature within that range that has a mind.

I'm open for feedback and opinions. A couple things I'm thinking so far:

*I'm not sure about the balance of cloaked casting. It seems a little weak, but making it work on foes who haven't acted yet in combat may make it a little strong, thoughts.

*I'm not sold on master of the mind. It's thematic, but adds little real power like the Lore or Valor ability does. I thought about something that would give you brief invisability or a short teleport when you cast a bard spell, but I'm worried that might be too powerful. Opinions?

Ziegander
2015-05-22, 10:44 PM
Cloaked Casting isn't weak at all. It's right on the edge of being just a little too powerful, but I think it stays sane enough to be okay as is. And Master of the Mind isn't a direct power-up, no, but it is powerful, and it helps to enable more and more Cloaked Casting, which seems good to me. Great College, in my opinion, one of the better homebrew Bard Colleges.

TheOOB
2015-05-22, 11:31 PM
Cloaked Casting isn't weak at all. It's right on the edge of being just a little too powerful, but I think it stays sane enough to be okay as is. And Master of the Mind isn't a direct power-up, no, but it is powerful, and it helps to enable more and more Cloaked Casting, which seems good to me. Great College, in my opinion, one of the better homebrew Bard Colleges.

I will say idea of telepathic suggestions did cross my mind. Thanks for the feedback.