View Full Version : Rules Q&A Prestige Class Skill Prerequisites, base or final total?

gogogome
2015-05-22, 11:41 PM
So lets say an 18int wizard wants to become a geometer, who has a prerequisite of 9 ranks in decipher script. Can she take the geometer class at level 3, or does she have to wait until level 7?

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-22, 11:46 PM
Skill modifier = skill ranks + ability modifier + other modifiers. You don't use your total skill modifier when determining if you meet prerequisites, just your skill ranks (the number of skill points you've invested, or half that for cross-class skills).

gogogome
2015-05-22, 11:51 PM
Skill modifier = skill ranks + ability modifier + other modifiers. You don't use your total skill modifier when determining if you meet prerequisites, just your skill ranks (the number of skill points you've invested, or half that for cross-class skills).

Alright thanks! Do you happen to know which book that rule is from? One of my players was very adamant about it.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-05-22, 11:58 PM
Alright thanks! Do you happen to know which book that rule is from? One of my players was very adamant about it.
The prereqs always say X skill ranks, not "bonus" or "modifier" or anything like that.

KillianHawkeye
2015-05-23, 12:37 AM

The prereqs always say X skill ranks, not "bonus" or "modifier" or anything like that.

The Player's Handbook contains the definition of skill ranks and the process for obtaining them by spending skill points during the level-up process. This is very basic info that you and your players should all try to be familiar with.

Also, FYI, prestige class prerequisites frequently contain skill rank requirements (or BAB, in the case of martial prestige classes) as a means of setting the minimum level for entry, since there are almost no ways to get more than your level + 3 ranks a skill (or more BAB than your level).

gogogome
2015-05-23, 01:21 AM
Alright thanks everyone!