PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Could a dragon take the dragon shaman class?

walfulninja
2015-05-23, 07:09 AM
Right what it says on the tin. I think it would be interesting from a roleplaying stand point. Any thoughts?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-23, 08:00 AM
Right what it says on the tin. I think it would be interesting from a roleplaying stand point. Any thoughts?
Yep. As a base class, it has no requirements. You could even devote yourself to another type of dragon than your own, but that's questionable from a fluff perspective, imo.

Chronos
2015-05-23, 08:19 AM
Well, some base classes do have requirements, like the non-lawful on barbarians. And dragon shamans are required to be close to the alignment of their patron dragon. But that's easy enough to meet.

You could even devote yourself to another type of dragon than your own, but that's questionable from a fluff perspective, imo.
Actually, that seems to me to make more fluff sense, not less. I can see, say, a silver dragon aspiring to be like a gold dragon a lot more easily than I can see one aspiring to be like a silver dragon.

P.F.
2015-05-23, 08:30 AM
IIRC no race restriction on Dragon Shaman. It's Dragon Disciple that "tries to become a dragon" and has the non-dragon type restriction.

heavyfuel
2015-05-23, 09:24 AM
As a base class, it has no requirements.

Some base classes - Dragon Shaman included - have alignment requirement

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-23, 09:52 AM
Some base classes - Dragon Shaman included - have alignment requirement
Right, I forgot that. You can still be any alignment if you're a dragon shaman, though.

Clistenes
2015-05-23, 10:51 AM
Well, some base classes do have requirements, like the non-lawful on barbarians. And dragon shamans are required to be close to the alignment of their patron dragon. But that's easy enough to meet.

Actually, that seems to me to make more fluff sense, not less. I can see, say, a silver dragon aspiring to be like a gold dragon a lot more easily than I can see one aspiring to be like a silver dragon.

What about a blue dragon adopted and raised by gold dragons, trying to become like mom and dad?

DrMotives
2015-05-23, 11:14 AM

I dunno, the silver dragon being a silver dragon shaman could work, it'd be like those 5th generation immigrants who suddenly get all into their cultural heritage and start taking on affectations. I bet they'd be really annoying to other silver dragons though, always talking about how they have to only do "traditionally silver" things.

Afgncaap5
2015-05-23, 12:58 PM
I dunno, the silver dragon being a silver dragon shaman could work, it'd be like those 5th generation immigrants who suddenly get all into their cultural heritage and start taking on affectations. I bet they'd be really annoying to other silver dragons though, always talking about how they have to only do "traditionally silver" things.

I could also see it from a "personal investment in my inherent power" standpoint. They see mortals devoting themselves to the power of dragons, and gaining these ethereal, aura-like powers, and thinking 'You know... I don't really appreciate the majesty of Me...' and delving into their own raw potential.

DrMotives
2015-05-23, 01:17 PM
I could also see it from a "personal investment in my inherent power" standpoint. They see mortals devoting themselves to the power of dragons, and gaining these ethereal, aura-like powers, and thinking 'You know... I don't really appreciate the majesty of Me...' and delving into their own raw potential.

So, the dragon becomes a dragon shaman because it's a giant narcissist / egotist? You can't say that goes against classic dragon personality at least.

Actually, I have a half-dragon BBEG I need to build, it'll be a while before the PCs meet it. One idea I was bouncing around was giving it levels in dragon shaman to make it more dragon-ey. But it's half-shadow dragon, and I didn't see an easy way to swap out the other metallic or chromatic totems for shadow.

rollforeigninit
2015-05-23, 08:45 PM
Sure they can,they just call it the Shaman class though.:smallwink:

ericgrau
2015-05-24, 06:25 AM
So, the dragon becomes a dragon shaman because it's a giant narcissist / egotist? You can't say that goes against classic dragon personality at least.
"Every day I aspire to be more like myself."

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-24, 06:31 AM
They could, but it's pretty much a terrible class so it's not a good idea!

Chronos
2015-05-24, 07:05 AM
It's a terrible class for you or me, mostly because of a lack of active abilities. It might not be so terrible for a dragon, though, which is already a melee brute, with a relevant breath weapon, and possibly spells.

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-24, 08:43 AM
It's a terrible class for you or me, mostly because of a lack of active abilities. It might not be so terrible for a dragon, though, which is already a melee brute, with a relevant breath weapon, and possibly spells.

It's even worse for a dragon, who definitely has better things to do with it's time.

DrMotives
2015-05-24, 03:04 PM
Although, if you gesalted a dragon turtle with a dragon shaman, then advanced it up to 19 HD, it'd have wings.