PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Repeat Spell

jlousivy
2007-04-21, 05:00 PM
I know there's already a feat with this name, but i couldn't really think of a name that could fit it besides that

Repeat Spell[General]
Prerequisites: ???
Benefit: Even after casting a spell, for a short duration you retain the knowledge of that spell. After casting a spell, the next round (and the next round only) you are able to cast that spell again taking up an equal or higher level spell slot.

Example:
wizard has scorching ray and invisibility prepared as his second level spells. He and his rogue friend need to get through the keep un-noticed to the many eyes of the gaurds. So he casts invisibility on the thief then casts invisibility on himself, the second casting effectively converting his scorching ray into invisibility.

what pre-requisites should it have? is it overpowered/underpowered?

Legoman
2007-04-21, 05:12 PM
Revivic Casting? <SOMETHING> Spell makes it sound like a metamagic feat.

I like the idea - but of course, it makes the Sorc even more worthless.

Maybe, to make it work, you must also expend one spell of one level lower? So, in your example, to channel that Scorching Ray into the Invisibility spell, you'd have to lose your Magic Missile as well.

There's already spells you can prepare that do this sort of thing I think - basically you prepare it, and then you can retain a spell you cast in the previous round. I hadn't grasped the usefulness of it until now, though...

Demented
2007-04-21, 06:02 PM
Invisibility Sphere. =P

Alternately, Mage's Lucubration, Lesser.

jlousivy
2007-04-21, 06:05 PM
i definitely forgot about that spell, but seeing how this is far more limited in scope (you have to cast it the very next round, not saving it for an hour later or something) is it ok?
I don't know about the losing 2 spells..... instead just one spell of a higher slot?

Demented
2007-04-21, 07:14 PM
As it is, it's much more powerful than Lucubration, since it gives you a limited form of spontaneous casting. It works for any spell level, for as many times as you can cast, and you can even use higher level spell slots for the spell, if you run out of same-level spell slots.

It even applies to casting scrolls (in case you want to save on money, or you're on your last scroll for that spell).

Scribbler
2007-04-21, 09:12 PM
It's for casting spells, not activating magic items, so that doesn't work as it's written. Using higher level slots for lower level spells isn't exactly a great strength, but anyone can do that anyway if they want to. It's also a very limited form of spontaneous casting.

Triaxx
2007-04-22, 06:40 AM
Might be useful in Low level campaigns, where you don't necessarily have large numbers of high level slots to burn.