PDA

View Full Version : Into the Icy Tomb IC

drack
2015-05-23, 11:33 AM
The cold wind lashes against your brow with all the stinging cold it's carried all day and with it comes the same old face-full of snow. This time however you catches through it the warm glow of fire. As you draw closer you see the warm embers swirling through the night form a truly humungous encampment of tents littered wit the occasional wooden structure.

As your feet carry you once more into the maddened frenzy of civilization, all about you hear the calls of venders. "Torches, get your torches!"
"Ten foot poles, who doesn't like a ten foot pole? Everyone without a ten foot pole is like to be ten feet shorter!"

While many shout their wares to the heavens, others simply sit beside their wares or set up large colorful signs. Local children, intoxicated by all the excitement, run down the streets laughing, ribbons flowing in their wake.

riccaru
2015-05-24, 02:54 PM
After using her last cantrip of the day on prestidigitation to clean her of what today had wrought Emily wanders through the small marketplace, her eyes alight with feigned interest and delight at the various wares those around her have for sale.

She wears a fine cloak of fur wrapped tightly around her slight frame and her goggles are pushed up to her forehead to allow her better to see. In her fiery hair is seen specks of snow, standing out against the color and her somehow dry locks.

She ooh's and ahh's as the various sellers hawk their wares to the crowds around her. In time she stops at a small stand where the purveyor had not drawn attention to his store and smiles to the man sweetly.

"Hello good sir! Why are you so glum on this beautiful day?" She asks him with a curious lift to her voice.

He doesn't draw attention to himself. Might be someone of a similar disposition. She thinks to herself.

Emily will speak in violet when she is pretending to be nice and she will speak in indigo if she's dropped the charade or when she thinks.

drack
2015-05-24, 03:23 PM
"Beautiful day?" The man asks, hawking a glob of spit into the snow. "Why look around you ma'am, it's well into the night. Why I'm almost too old to be out selling swords in the snow this late at night. Go on and ask me if I'll be out this late next year. Go on, ask me."

3SecondCultist
2015-05-27, 08:28 AM
Quick and tender cuts. The swiftblade's knife digs into the mystery meat, and she sniffs it carefully before putting it in her mouth. The tendons are stringy, coltish and afraid. Not a great hunt, but the great three-pronged elk indigenous to this mountain range are said to be amongst the fastest breeds still alive. Not fast enough. Nair smiles inwardly.

The journey to the village was easy enough, but after several hundred miles even her body had had enough, and she needed to find shelter soon. Her winter gear was passable, but she didn't have a tent to weather any of the storms. Still, a day's progress up the mountain for her would have been weeks for any other traveler. And so, when Nair approached the village, she had found the nearest inn or resting place for travelers and ordered the largest haunch of food she could find. Something about rapid metabolisms as a result of enhanced speed... oh well. As she moved onto her second steak, the speedster sighed with delight. This was paradise.

Or course, she hadn't forgotten why she was really here. So, once she was finished (no doubt to the shock and awe of the others in the food tent), she began to walk slowly outside. Eventually, she heard a man dressing down a young girl nearby, and approached.

"Heywhatdoyouthinkyou'redoingthat'sonlyalittlegirl!" The words come out in a blur, even as Nair picks up speed and her whole body begins to vibrate uncontrollably. For an instant, her eyes are filled with pinpricks of red light, and the shadows around her intensify to conceal her form. Not exactly a subtle display, but she's looking to scare or sway the man, not entice him. Perched on her shoulder, the raven sighs.

drack
2015-05-27, 08:40 AM
"That's it, I'm out." The shopkeeper replies nonchalantly. "When I start getting wackadoos who don't even speak common trying to strike up a conversation I know I've been up too late." He begins packing his wares into a bag of holding.

Tyrann
2015-05-27, 09:46 PM
A banner mounted on a heap of snow makes its way to the middle of the square, slowly shedding in rhythmical thumps. It stops mid-pace once or twice as it navigates the sea of overly curious children, waiting patiently for them to move aside if they get in the way.

After arriving in the middle, and after having made quite the puddle, Boomer turns his thawing joints to take in his surroundings. Lots of people. This was good. Large gatherings of pink humanoids such as these had a draw on adventurers. But where to find them? Perhaps this merchant would know.

"Greetings, hu-man. Your pole is two feet shorter than the model I carry. The poles you are selling frequently cause their attached meatbag to explode. It is my understanding that you hu-mans find the sight of other organics exploding traumatic. Therefore Boomer recommends that you only sell these poles to individual adventurers, and not to groups. I hope this advice has been helpful."

Happy with himself to have remembered to appeal to the reciprocal nature of this human, Boomer feels confident continuing with an inquiry:

"In exchange, I hope you have some time to answer a question. Would you happen to know where I can find other adventurers in this encampment?"

He doesn't have to wait for the answer though, because that's when he hears a familiar voice. Dropping his conversation with the merchant entirely, the golem turns his back and starts making his way towards the speedster. "Hello, Niar. Is this salesman bothering you?"

[roll0]
[roll1]

drack
2015-05-28, 05:47 AM
The sailsman opens his mouth to reply... twice, but instead decides to simply scowl at you.

Morcleon
2015-05-28, 09:50 PM
The little girl being dressed down in question chuckles softly and gives both Nair and Boomer a wide smile. "I'm glad you two came over here."

3SecondCultist
2015-05-31, 01:39 PM
The shadowswyft tilts her head slightly, the strange vibrations dying down. When she returns to a state of relative normalcy, she is little more than a woman shifting between states of light.

"Sorry about that. I got a little... agitated there. It's been a long day, right Boomer?" She moves to nudge her massive warforged companion, for whom this trip has taken multiple factors longer than it ought to. Several times, she considered just leaving him alone on the mountain. But even the greatest of heroes needs a companion, and who will take the punches for her once she enters the tomb? In fact... she looks at the newcomers.

"My name is Nair, and I am the fastest woman alive. I plan to raid this tomb, and I find myself in need of a few traveling companions. Boomer here makes two of us, but the challenges we face therein might overwhelm even the two of us. I propose to unite our forces, and share the wealth and glory between us. Now, who are you and what can you do?"

drack
2015-05-31, 01:45 PM
Grumpily the adjacent shopkeeper asks "Can't you go do this in a tavern or something? You're scaring away all my customers."

3SecondCultist
2015-05-31, 01:59 PM
Adopting an easy smile, Nair nods at the shopkeeper.

"Indeed. I know of a place with fresh food and supplies. Perhaps we can retire there and speak further?"

drack
2015-05-31, 02:04 PM
"Wanna live long enough to retire?" A merchant across the walkway calls "Act now and get a wand of cure minor wounds, only lightly used for only 300 gp, but it now!"

This place really seems to be over saturated with merchants, though you do see a good number of adventurers going through the stalls most of them look like farm boys with only the occasional real adventurer among them.

riccaru
2015-05-31, 02:37 PM
"I'll go if you're buying, new friend!" Emily says cheerily before taking two of her companions with locked elbows and looking at each of them in turn.

"So, which way? And who's the big guy?"

Finally some new bodies to cover me. I've been hoping there would be a couple of marks here.

"Come on! Time's a wastin'! See you later pal, hope you find somewhere warm to spend this perfect day next year!"

Morcleon
2015-05-31, 02:53 PM
"Wow, you guys are adventurers?" The little girl beams up at Nair. "That's really cool. Can I tag along?"

3SecondCultist
2015-05-31, 02:56 PM
A pause, and then a smile. Easier this time.

"Sure thing. Ignore the riff-raff. The big guy's name is Boomer, don't mind him. He's mostly harmless." Although they might not see it, the swiftblade's features are twisted into a smirk. "The only thing you need to know is this: I'm fast, and he's tough. He lines them up, and I bowl them over. What can you bring to the table?"

Morcleon
2015-05-31, 03:37 PM
"I'm Torial!" she chirps, grinning widely. Tilting her head to her side, she hums softly. "Uhh... I do magic?"

drack
2015-05-31, 03:49 PM
As you enter the Dragon's Hatt inn&tavern and the warm light washes over you, you see a room full of what looks to be new adventurers in over their heads. All the same the tavern is quite packed with only one table empty, and another half filled. The empty table, as you'd expect with so many wannabes around, is directly at the center of the tavern. Some old rickety steps go up along the rear wall, and by the door is a bar with a tired looking old man. The servers seem to be of all different ages, probably recruited from the shops that weren't making any money. The tavern itself was clearly part of the original thorp, and as such ill accustomed to being as full as it is now.

3SecondCultist
2015-05-31, 03:50 PM
"Magic. Maaa-jick. It's a funny word, isn't it? The etymology, I'm told, is quite complicated. What disciplines do you practice, Torial? Battlefield transmutations are somewhat of a speciality of mine, but I'm always curious about the arcane arts." Gods, it's exausting moving and breathing at this pace. Don't people get bored of shuffling around like this? Nair suppresses a sigh.

Once they arrive at the nearest inn, Nair inquires after a set of rooms. She can bunk with Boomer, if need be. She trusts the warforged not to sneak a peek at her goods, and truth be told she doesn't really care even if he does. Do living constructs even have libidos?

drack
2015-05-31, 04:03 PM
"Why, I don't know, let me see." The innkeeper replies oh so very slowly. "Bretha, are there any rooms left?"
"Just the one." A woman, presumably Bretha, replies.
"Yes, we've got one single bed room left, naturally you're free to share and have a person or two sleep on the floor, though with the influx of clients I will have to warn you that the room will cost 7 gold. My oh my, it seems like they're all new faces every day. Why I like to believe they're all still exploring somewhere in there. I'd hate to think they were..." The man trails off not wanting to finish the sentence.

Morcleon
2015-05-31, 04:43 PM
"I use lots of, um, conjurations, I think you call them, and some other things. And the word takes its origin from ancient Celestial, the phrase magike techne meaning something along the lines of 'art of the magic user'." Torial beams and twirls around in her cloak, clearly proud of knowing this bit of trivia.

Upon hearing the innkeeper's words, she looks up at him, smiling a little. "One room should be enough for us four, thanks!"

drack
2015-05-31, 05:38 PM
The owner accepts the little girl's money without showing any concern for the fact that he's accepting money from a child.

Tyrann
2015-06-01, 08:54 AM
Boomer recognizes his cue and makes a slight nod. "Greetings. I am Boomer. I smash things."

When inside the inn, Boomer bends a little and tries his best not to scrape along the ceiling. He also tries his best not to impale any of the other guests on his armor spikes. He would like to go stand in a corner, because humans tend to get upset when they bump in to him. But since all the corners are filled, he settles for the middle of the room, waiting for the others to do the talking.

He hopes the floorboars on the second floor will hold him and is a little puzzled about why organics always though it was reassuring somehow to share a room with him when they slept. He supposed it was good thing. A sign of trust. The master had always said that "Any behavior that leads to potential altruism in the face of danger makes for great insurance." Carefully, Boomer tries to make his way up the stairs to follow the others.

Morcleon
2015-06-01, 10:48 AM
Torial skips lightly up the steps, opening the door to their room with a small push. She glances back at Boomer curiously. "What sorts of things do you smash?"

Tyrann
2015-06-01, 11:09 AM
Boomer appears a little confused by the question.

"I am sorry. I am not sure I understand the question. Is there a human taboo on smashing certain materials that I am not aware of?"

3SecondCultist
2015-06-01, 11:15 AM
Predicting where the conversation is going, Nair lets out a sibilant chuckle. "Don't worry. I don't let Boomer smash anything important."

Calmly and carefully putting her things away isn't in the speedster's nature, and the result is just short of cataclysmic, as her quarter of the room is very quickly - and very deliberately - turned into an almost irredeemable mess. And Nair hardly seems to care. I'll clean it up on our way out, or otherwise just pay the guy extra.

drack
2015-06-01, 02:15 PM
The room is perhaps ten feet by five by five tall with a single stained bed set to the side. The floor strains uneasily beneath boomer, though it doesn't seem like it's going to collapse unless he makes any sudden moves. There is a single small window with a view of the allyway which is so full of snow nobody is like to enter it anyways. The only notable feature is a chamber pot still half-full.

A light tentative knocking sounds at the door.

Morcleon
2015-06-01, 03:45 PM
Torial is about to sit down as the knocking sounds. She pouts a little and goes over to open the door, peeking out into the hallway. "Hello?"

drack
2015-06-01, 03:51 PM
A young boy no older then fourteen stands in the doorway in simple albeit somewhat muddy linens, a rather commonplace looking sword strapped to his hip. Somehow it seems the only thing the boy needs is to trade in his sword for a hoe and a straw hat to complete his image.

The boy gives you a long measuring look before saying "I think I've got the wrong room, I was told a blurry woman and big metal man had caused a slight ruckus looking for adventurers and... sorry that I've wasted your time." Humbly the boy clasps his hands and bows halfway appearing genuinely sorry.

Morcleon
2015-06-01, 04:55 PM
"Oh, no. You came to the right place, Torial chuckle softly. She opens the door wider and beckons the boy to come in. "They're right here."

drack
2015-06-01, 05:03 PM
The boy stands up straight exclaiming. "...but you're just a girl?!" Noticing too late that he'd said it out loud he adds more casually "So I suppose I don't have to worry about not being good enough to join you then do I?"

Of those present, only Boomer is like to take the boy as any more then one of the before mentioned farmboys.

Morcleon
2015-06-01, 08:30 PM
Sighing and pouting a little, Torial rolls her eyes and sits back down on her chair. "I'm not 'just a girl'... I'm probably more powerful that you."

drack
2015-06-01, 08:41 PM
The boy raises his hands somewhat jokingly to defend himself. "OK, OK, I believe you." he replies, accepting your invitation into the room where everyone was already shoulder to shoulder unable to move about.

Sense motive check if you want to know whether he really believes you. :smalltongue:

Morcleon
2015-06-01, 09:10 PM
Torial fidgets around in her chair, staring intently at the new kid before glancing away. "...good."

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Torial will also poke his mind with Dantalion's Read Thoughts (Will DC 24 negates) and check him out using mindsight, which will give her his creature type and Int score.

Tyrann
2015-06-02, 06:43 AM
Boomer is unsure what to make of all this talking. He felt that was an entire layer of conversation going on here that he was not privy to.
One thing he did understand: this boy had just made the claim that he was an adventurer. And he sounded entirely credible.

Boomer had seen this type of adventurer before. Scrawny humans without armor and wielding swords. Most of these used magic to strengthen themselves, and quite a few amongst their number had demonstrated strength that had rivaled his own. Or perhaps this human had taken a vow of poverty. He had seen one of those as well, and that one had been a very powerful totemist. Either way, no armor and a sword signaled someone not afraid to stand on the front lines.

Reassured that there would at least be one more amongst their number that could take hit, Boomer greets the boy as best he knows: by awkwardly patting him on the back. He doesn't hold back as much as he normally would. This boy is a warrior after all. He would not want to offend.

"Greetings, fellow adventurer."

3SecondCultist
2015-06-02, 07:02 AM
Nair looks the kid up and down with a skeptical eye. The movement would be almost imperceptible to anybody else, but the shadowswyft takes her time examining his pupil dilation, his tics and mannerisms to ensure that he's telling the truth. For some reason, she isn't entirely convinced. Maybe it's because she didn't choose this one? Shoving that possibility out of her mind, the speedster steps forward in a move of calculated belligerence.

"So, what can you do then, farmboy? We aren't in the business of sponsoring plucky opportunists." Actually... now that she thinks about it, she just described herself. A white lie, then. Her features start to speed up again, confirming that she is indeed the woman he had heard about. "Provethatyou'reworththetroubleofanothermember."

The blurriness actually comes from haste, but I figured in a fluff post like this one it wouldn't matter overmuch if I used it. No game effects, just like the idea of her transmutation magic having effected the biology of her body to the point where she can invoke entire system tremors and the afterimage of the ferocity spell for red eyes.

Also, if a Bluff check is required: [roll0]

drack
2015-06-02, 09:09 PM
Torial
Sense motive reveals that the boy doesn't really believe you after all. :smallwink:

Undead with 11 int.

The boy stumbles forward painfully under the golem's heavy hand only to balk before the demand that he prove his worth. "Um... um... this isn't what the shopkeepers said, did she have to prove herself?" he asks gesturing to Torial.

Tempestfury
2015-06-03, 07:03 AM
Arcantos had been in the... ‘town’ for some time in all honestly. The Paladin knew that his quest and mission was not one that he would be able to succeed without aid. He was a strong warrior, a powerful mage for a Paladin. But he operated best within a group that could cover his weaknesses, and be empowered by his song. Hence why Arcantos had been on the look out for new people that he could call companions... and soon he heard of a warforged having arrived, along with a female who seemed unable to stay still.

It didn’t take Arcantos too long for him to find the place, that they had gathered, and stepped up to the room. Pretty sure his fullplate would announce his arrival, even before he arrived and said politely. “May I join the conversation?” Arcantos looked like your standard warrior, suited up in full plate, with a big sword strapped to his back. The main thing that marked him as different, was the holy-symbol that was currently covering his left eye. As he waited for a reply, Arcantos focused his divine gifts, sweeping over them to see if any held evil within them.

(You know, if the boy is undead. Arcantos’ Shirt of Wraith Stalking means he’s unable to detect him at all)

riccaru
2015-06-03, 04:29 PM
Emily sits on the bed with her back to the headboard, choosing to assess her new companions instead of putting herself into their conversation. They seem quite content to speak without her, which was just fine with her.

It would seem our companions are fully set on giving everything away. How can this play to my advantage? Emily thinks to herself as she watches the stark black raven fly circles through the small village.

Morcleon
2015-06-03, 05:33 PM
Torial sticks her tongue out at the boy. "I don't have to prove myself. I'm already good enough."

"Anyway, what's your name?"

Your blindsense doesn't pick up Torial.

drack
2015-06-03, 05:57 PM
Torial sticks her tongue out at the boy. "I don't have to prove myself. I'm already good enough."

"Anyway, what's your name?"

Your blindsense doesn't pick up Torial.

"Then so am I." The boy asserts.

When asked of his name the boy speaks gravely as if his name is of great import, and by the way his chest buffs forth you can tell the pride he takes in it. "I am Bob, son of Bob."

Tyrann
2015-06-03, 06:21 PM
Boomer wonders why the others are giving the boy such a hard time. But Niar's instincts about fellow adventurers and their skills were a lot better than his own, and he had come to trust her judgement in these matters. So he was content to wait for her to interview the child.

When he sees the second swordsman approach them, he tilts his head a little. Wasn't asking to join a conversation effectively the same as joining one? Oh well. Better let Niar take this one too.

Morcleon
2015-06-05, 10:52 PM
"Never said you had to. And I'm Torial." She grins slightly and nods to him.

Turning to look at the newcomer, she raises an eyebrow. "...and who are you?"

Tempestfury
2015-06-07, 08:06 AM
... Bob... son of Bob... what was it with people called Bob?

Still, the Paladin didn’t really say much in regards to the boy’s name and instead turning to the girl who had questioned him on his identity. That question got a bow from Arcantos, having seen that no one around had any more evil in their hearts than the normal, he could proudly reveal himself. “I am Arcantos, Mystra’s Song.” As a Paladin of sword, magic and song... Arcantos was an talented fighter, than had earned a rather strange title.

3SecondCultist
2015-06-07, 09:21 AM
"Pleased to meet you." Nair decides that playing the magnanimous card will serve her well here. "My name is Nair, the fastest woman alive. We're forming a party to delve into the icy tomb, I can only assume you have come for the same purpose?" This question is addressed to the paladin, ignoring the boy for now.

Tyrann
2015-06-09, 12:39 AM
Boomer cringes when songs are mentioned. "Songs do not work on me. I believe the title we gave our last bard was Sir Freeloader. Do you possess any talents other than singing?"
Waiting for an answer with a skeptical look on his face, an interesting thought occurs to Boomer. He still wasn't sure what the boy could do either (maybe it was a druid?..) so he suggests this:

"Maybe you should have a friendly duel with Sir Bob, Arcantos. You both look strong, but looks can be deceiving."

Tempestfury
2015-06-09, 08:03 AM
“I don’t need to fight anyone to show my strength. Let alone a boy.” Arcantos said, distaste dripping from his words as he glanced at this ‘Bob’.... whilst he tried not to judge, the Paladin couldn’t help but think that he wasn’t all that strong all things considered... and Arcantos soon turned his gaze to the giant warforged. “It shows your ignorance if you focused solely on the fact that I have bardic capabilities. Especially when I named myself the song for goddess of magic herself.” Whilst Arcantos was proud of his ability to inspire others with his song... he was much prouder of his other abilities.

Tyrann
2015-06-09, 09:38 AM
Boomer shrugged, clearly still not impressed. "Magic tends to not work on me either. But if the boy scares you, that is fine."

At this point, Boomer's main concern is whether or not the floor will hold if people just keep on coming into the room. He can't leave Niar alone with total strangers while she's sleeping. So he'd like for the two newcomers, especially the one in full plate, to leave. But since he's not so good with words, he won't manage that. Instead, he's just going to look annoyed, and do his best not to skewer anyone. He's keeping one hand on his wallet portable hole at all times.

3SecondCultist
2015-06-09, 09:51 AM
Watching her warforged companion, Nair twists her features into something resembling a small frown. He doesn't ever need to speak to make his point clear. Looking at Arcantos, Nair's frown fades into a look of quiet contemplation. He certainly thought a great deal of himself, but did she trust him? For some reason, neither him nor the boy were people she really felt she needed here. With Boomer, Torial and the girl here, that makes four. In the stories, most of the great heroes tended to travel in groups of four. Wasn't that usually how things worked? Then again, when have YOU ever cared about normal?

"I'd hate to have to share beds, and I'm not sure this room is big enough for 6 people. It's little more than a broom closet as it is. Perhaps you would be willing to search for alternative accomodation?"

drack
2015-06-09, 09:05 PM
The floorboards creek angrily under the shifting weight of the group.

Tempestfury
2015-06-10, 05:47 AM
“Even the strongest of spell resistance can be overcome by a sufficiently powerful mage.” Arcantos said, casually shrugging his shoulders at the warforged’s claim about spells not being able to effect him... the Paladin had been around the block enough times. “Admittedly, despite my lady’s favour, I do not have the same power as a devoted cleric or a studious wizard... but you are not to be my enemy either.” Of course, then came the issue of room, and Arcantos went on to say. “Ah, that isn’t a worry. I already have my own accommodation thank you very much.”

drack
2015-06-11, 02:58 AM
As silence stretches on Bob shrugs and suggests they all get some rest. As it happens Bob is the lucky resident of one of the other three rooms. Looking disparagingly about the cramped room he suggests the party splits into two groups for the night.

Morcleon
2015-06-11, 10:45 AM
Torial nods to Bob. "So who will be in which room?"

Tyrann
2015-06-11, 05:17 PM
Boomer says nothing. He is not sure what just happened. Is Bob a member of the party now?

Anyway, he is not leaving the speedster alone with anyone while she sleeps. So he goes where she goes (or stays where she stays).

He didn't mind Bob much. At least he looked more useful than that singer guy. But they would need to have a chat about paying resurrections up front in the morning.

3SecondCultist
2015-06-11, 07:56 PM
Nair nods along with Boomer. Although she can never quite tell what the forged one is thinking, she usually has a pretty good idea.

"I'm staying here, and Boomer will be staying alongside me. Since we're four to a room, and none of us males, we should be alright."

drack
2015-06-11, 08:20 PM
Noticing the unspoken bond between the construct and the speedster Bob replies "So Arcantos has his own lodgins meaning I suppose Torial and I will share a room and that should at least give us all enough room to lie down. Sound about right?" As he speaks Bob begins backing up towards the door, but suddenly a small sploshing sound can be heard as aureolin liquid splashes up Bob's leg as his foot sinks into the chamber pot. Looking around his gaze falls on Torial and he sighs grumbling "Torial, when you go you're not supposed to just leave it on the floor for people to step in, we've got to have some ground rules if we're gonna share a room, dump it out the window, OK?"

Lodging:

Bob's room is adjacent and nearly identical except that it has fewer boards on the window allowing more of the cold air in.

Arcantos' rented tent outside (-3gp) provides him similar cover from the elements, but it seems there's room for everyone to lie down and sleep when all is said and done.

Tyrann
2015-06-12, 07:52 AM
Boomer tries to make room for the others. He puts his portable hole in a corner of the room, goes in, and makes the hole smaller while he hangs from the ledge. He's just going to hang there for the night, with his head poking up through the floor.

riccaru
2015-06-12, 10:07 PM
Emily hops up as Bob the brave begins to leave the room.

The Paladin complicates things. No matter, I've dealt with his type before. The song will bring us together if his naive idealism doesn't

"I'll stay with the kid. I'd rather have the protection of our Sir Bob here." She says as she walks over to him, locking her arm in the crook of his elbow before looking at his newly watered foot. "We'll have to get you out of those trousers, won't we?" She adds with a sly grin.

If anyone will put themselves int he way of a knife for me, it would be this sap. She smiles to herself knowingly.

"We'll be seeing you on the morrow, ladies and gentleforged. The grandest adventure of the ages awaits us just below our feet, or my name isn't Emily Talbot."

drack
2015-06-12, 10:28 PM
Um... OK. Bob son of Bob stammers as he's led from the room.

OOC

*GM hurriedly skips on ahead*

The following day you all awake rested and restored, ready for the grand adventure that awaits. The entrance to the tomb is a large gaping hole littered with the grappling hooks and tethered ropes of adventurers who have climbed down long before you, occasionally a heavy chain can even be spotted. In the bright morning sun (or mid-afternoon sun depending on how late a riser everyone is) the cavern glistens with the reflection of light off the ice, but with its jagged shape it begins to look like a hungry maw if observed for too long. All about the bustle of shopkeepers is raging as other parties arrive, some haggard and others ready. Some groups even look as well equipped and trained as yourselves. Together ragged farmboy and trained adventurer alike descend into the cavernous tomb. From the looks of it it's at least a 50' drop down in.

Tyrann
2015-06-13, 05:23 AM
"Does anyone require assistance getting down?"
Boomer finds a sturdy heavy chain and makes sure it's well secured before kneeling down to let someone on.

He could fly down, but he'd rather climb with all these other groups looking.

[roll0]

I can still carry about 9500 more pounds.

Morcleon
2015-06-13, 03:15 PM
Torial glances at the cave opening for a moment, then simply steps off the ledge, walking on the air. She closes her eyes for a second, then opens them, her body now encased in a whirling blue mist. "I can help people get down too."

She can telekinetically carry 850 lbs at a time.

Manifesting inertial armor and mind blank, personal.

Currently bound vestiges are Dantalion and Otiax.

drack
2015-06-13, 03:26 PM
Bob stubbornly ties his rope to a sturdy piece of wood frozen into the ground, presumably placed by him the day before, and begins to climb down, his sword rattling faintly in its sheath as he moves.

3SecondCultist
2015-06-13, 05:01 PM
Nair decides to take Torial up on her idea. "I could expend some of my abilities to get down there, but since you're already offering..." Trusting the strange girl, the speedster steps out into the void and hopes for a steady descent.

Once at the bottom, the wizard takes a look around. Her defensive enchantments are up, ready in case she needs to fight off anything at quick speeds. Out of the corner of her eye, she watches the others. How strange a group this is, finding their way into the heart of icy darkness like this?

Spot and Listen: [roll0] and [roll1].

Also, assume that Nair has cast both greater mage armor and superior resistance for the day. The former lasts for 16 hours, the latter lasts all day long.

Morcleon
2015-06-13, 05:10 PM
"Okay! Just relax~" Torial grins at her. She reaches her hand out and lifts Nair gingerly, carrying her down the shaft along with her.

Tempestfury
2015-06-14, 08:30 AM
It was rather displeasing that the boy and the girl were both being taken along with them... the speedster and warforged were obviously strong companions. Even if the warforged had some serious issues in judging the strength of others. Arcantos honestly was uncertain about the two younglings, and his instinct was to keep them out of danger... of course, the Paladin knew that looks were everything, and reluctantly decided he would not speak up against their coming. Instead, simply leaving when the group was decided, and moving to his tent in order to rest up and be ready to tomorrow.

When they gathered at the entrance of the tomb, Arcantos had to frown and the sheer amount of people around and entering the tomb as well... it was alarming to see so many people venturing into this space... as in his experience, the danger ramped up the more people were attempt to complete a question. Especially as Arcantos knew that not everyone was so willing to play nice. Still... first things first, getting down. “I’ll take the offer as well.” Arcantos said, deciding not to use any resources himself, and stepping out into space so that Torial could gentle take him down the drop.

Morcleon
2015-06-14, 09:48 AM
Said youngling sets Nair softly onto the ground and starts floating Arcantos down as well. "Don't go anywhere without the rest of us, okay?"

riccaru
2015-06-14, 11:31 AM
Emily quietly tests the ropes that are there to see if they will hold before she pulls down her goggles into place and begins her descent, sliding down the rope easily if not a bit slowly.

I'm not starting this adventure beholden to someone. She thinks to herself before using her wand of unseen servant and having it carry the liquid sunlight pebble and stand 30 feet ahead of the group. "there's the light issue solved." She announces to the group with a smile. Her raven familiar being trained to stay behind them and out of sight stays above for the moment.

drack
2015-06-14, 10:43 PM
Down in the tomb you find a magnificent room with walls tall enough to fit giants, yet without a single decoration. In front of you is a huge wall, and on each side you see two hallways, smaller, each only five feet wide. Behind you a large passage stretching on into the darkness.

Up above you see Bob son of Bob hanging a good twenty feet off the ground from the end of his rope. "Um... Ah... Could I get a little help here?"

Tempestfury
2015-06-15, 05:37 AM
Seeing the youngling stuck a good 20 feet above them stiff, Arcantos smirked... though he didn’t say anything. Deciding to simply let Torial drift him down like she had done with the rest of them. Besides... Arcantos adjusted his holy symbol, moving it from where it covered his eye, so that it now rested on his chest... and the reason behind his covered eye became very clear.. as Arcantos did not have the eye of a human. Instead, he had an yellow slitted eye of a dragon, that was fixed at a permanent glare, bulging out slightly from his expanded socket.

Tyrann
2015-06-15, 09:04 AM
"Sir Bobson, this is not a good time to be joking around. Even the singer made it down before you did."

Boomer begins to scale the wall, picks up the boy, and jumps down with the boy under his arm.

Swift action to change stance to Aura of Perfect Order.

Using Aura of Perfect Order to take 11 on the climb check, for a total roll of +39.

Jump check vs DC 15 to take no damage in the fall (not accounted for slippery floor and carrying Bob, but I think Bob and I should be fine.)
[roll0]

Afterwards, Boomer will change his stance to Leading the Charge, giving everybody a +16 on damage rolls with charges and spring attacks.
"Thank you for the light, Emily."

With the light here, the warforged could tell that this might not be the most comfortable of dungeons he'd been to.

"The bigger hallway is likely to lead deeper down into the tomb. We may miss things if we do not check the smaller ones first. But I will have to squeeze to get in there. If we choose to investigate them, it would probably be for the best if someone else took point."

drack
2015-06-15, 10:42 PM
"I'm sorry Boomer, it's just, I cut it too short and..." Bob trails off as he takes in the tomb. "... wow. It's so... so big!"

Morcleon
2015-06-16, 10:29 AM
Torial glances around at the chamber, chuckling. "Yeah, and it's probably going to try to kill us in the near future. Still, we should examine the side passages first. Let's say... the left one first?"

She floats over in that direction, then glances back toward the party, smiling innocently. "Oh, and I'd prefer not to be the first one, since I am just a little girl, after all."

drack
2015-06-16, 05:57 PM
Bravely Bob, Son of Bob, takes the lead, looking very much like a sheep to the slaughter in his thin peasant's garb. With an unsteady hand he clutches his sword, ready to whip it out at the first sight of trouble.

Survival DC 35

Hoof scuffs and hair that's caught on the walls implies that a mule passes through here. Perhaps fifty or more humanoids have passed through as well.

The hallway ends rather suddenly, a single entryway leads to a small room.

Survival DC 25

The splinters of wood mean there was probably a door here at some point

Survival DC 45

Something big was sitting in that far corner over there.

Religion DC 85

This room is likely a sacred chamber known as a Navera in which a servant lies down in a bed until they die to join their master in death to serve forevermore. It seems however to have been looted, body and all.

Tyrann
2015-06-17, 03:20 PM
Boomer squeezes and scrapes through the narrow hallway.

When they get to the small room, he keeps quiet. Demolition aside, he didn't know much about architecture. He was sure that if something needed smashing, the others would point it out.

Boomer has his spiked chain readied (so he has at least one hand on it) so he can use while flat footed it for combat expertise. If he needs to do more than that to be able to use it, please let me know and I'll have him do that.

3SecondCultist
2015-06-17, 03:52 PM
Anyone looking at Nair would have seen a continuum of motion, and suddenly her rapier is out and by her side. Her mask is dark, impassive, and nobody can see her smile beneath it. She seems more than willing to have Bob go first, if only to see what will happen. The boy signed on, he should know the risks of a job like this one. Better to save her speed for when they will really need it, after all. She looks at Boomer, head tilted quizzically in a 'what now?' kind of look.

Of course, if she wanted to she could easily give this room a good once over. But it might not be worth it. Besides, her superior senses aren't picking up anything especially good from this place. If there is some sort of hidden meaning to it all, it has utterly escaped her.

I'm drawing my rapier as a free action, and readying it for an attack. In case of initiative: [roll0] and [roll1], take the higher result.

Tyrann
2015-06-17, 04:09 PM
Boomer answers the look with a shrug and glances over to their new companions. They might know more.

If it turns out they don't know anything either, he'll tap the walls and the ceiling looking for walls that feel particularly flimsy or produce no sound when tapped, before suggesting they move on and try the other narrow path.

Morcleon
2015-06-17, 10:07 PM
Staring around the room, Torial reaches out with her mind, then staring around curiously. "Anyone know what this room is for?"

Looking around with mindsight, 100' radius.

drack
2015-06-17, 10:13 PM
Mindsight

You count eight insects and some kind of animal, each of insignificant intelligence, and only one bug of which is even within the room rather then somewhere "in the walls" (unexplored)

Tyrann
2015-06-20, 05:59 AM
"It seems none of us know this room's purpose. Maybe we can find hints about its function later on. But for now, let's move on and check out the other narrow path?"

And with that, Boomer starts making his way back to the hall where they climbed/floated down and awkwardly squeezes down the other tunnel, hoping at least a few of the others would follow.

drack
2015-06-20, 10:19 PM
Bob follows boomer, figuring the metal man might have an idea where to go.

Tyrann
2015-06-21, 06:21 PM
The metal man, who really doesn't have an idea where to go, decides to just go down the adjacent path. Because it seems like the efficient thing to do.

Squeezing into the path at Y12 on the map, seeing how far I can get. If I am interpreting the map correctly, that is.

drack
2015-06-21, 06:56 PM
OOC

I believe you're reading it right

At the end of the second corridor you find an almost identical room, only that in this room scratches can be seen upon the wall with debries knocked loose onto the floor all around a medium sized clear section, as if someone had been pinned there fighting for their life against... something.

Tyrann
2015-06-22, 06:12 AM
"Sir Bob, do you have any ideas about what happened here?"

Boomer takes a closer look at scratches on the walls. He inspects how deep they are, and tries to get an idea of the size of whatever claws or weapons made these.
He also hecks the floor for things like (the absence of) bloodstains. He doesn't know much about creatures they might meet down here, but he figures there could be some useful information here at least.

Taking 20 to search for a 21 total.

After that, he does the same thing as he did in the other room. Taps the walls and the ceiling before moving on.

drack
2015-06-22, 06:52 AM
The stone does not sound different regardless of where tapped, and upon further examination the marks could be from either claw or sword.

"I suppose someone was pinned and attacked here." Bob replies dully.

Tyrann
2015-06-22, 06:57 AM
"I agree, that seems to be the most likely scenario. I do not think we will find anything here either. Let's go see what is keeping the others."

Boomer starts to make his way back to the main hall.

3SecondCultist
2015-06-22, 07:27 AM
Nair, seeing Boomer leave to check out one of the corridors, takes a moment's thought to subsume the arcane energies lurking beneath her skin. Instantly, she feels alive. Her feet are sure, and her mind is sharpened. At a truly unbelievable rate, the transmuter picks up speed and races into the darkness of the other passageway in order to check it out. She was born under similar light conditions, and anything that would like to hit her would need to be moving as fast as she is. Anyone looking would see only a vague blur.

Casting haste as a free action, which gives me a freedom of movement effect for the duration, which is 16 rounds. Then, Nair will spend a full-round action to sprint and move 3200 ft through the other passageways of the area. She's got Darkvision 120 ft, and Superior Low Light Vision to help her with spotting anything. And here are some checks (being made reactively, not actively) Spot: [roll0], Listen: [roll1], and Search: [roll2]

riccaru
2015-06-22, 04:26 PM
Emily walk with the warforged , staying well enough behind him that he won't accidentally take a step back and crush her.

"So if other people have already been down this way, shouldn't we be going deeper into the tomb? These rooms have probably been picked dry." She says to no one in particular.

drack
2015-06-24, 11:48 PM
OOC
well that's what I get for editing a post rather then quoting it.

Morcleon
2015-06-27, 08:28 PM
"Yeah, I agree with Emily. Let's keep going." Torial chimes in, floating past Boomer and glancing deeper into the tomb. "Isn't Nair supposed to be fast? She should be back by now..."

Tyrann
2015-07-01, 03:41 PM
Boomer think Torial might have a point."Let's go check."

He starts squeezing down the last hallway he saw the blur disappear into.

drack
2015-07-03, 02:45 PM
OOC

Gonna assume you always take the top path first, and if there are two the leftmost. I'll mega-spoiler it so you can stop wherever you figure you would and look about/examine in further detail.

In the next room, you find it nearly identical to the first only that there lay the corpses of two elves, stripped naked and left behind. From the looks of them they were beaten to death.

Tyrann
2015-07-13, 10:33 AM
Boomer looks at the battered elf corpses and comments: "I do not think we will find much more up here. It appears to have all been picked clean by the groups that came before us.

Perhaps we should try to find a path deeper down into the actual tomb. The deeper in we get, the less we have to worry about competition."

drack
2015-07-13, 12:52 PM
OOC

Unless you actually tell me which path you're taking I'm gonna have to assume something, and the simplest something to assume is that you always take the top path first, and if there are two the leftmost. :smalltongue:

Oh yeah, I accidentally deleted the explorative one for second when I was making that last one. Guess he's tagging along. :smalltongue:

In the following room you find it very much like the second, but without all the scuff marks on the walls.