PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Noob question about warlocks and the Book of Shadows

phonybone
2015-05-23, 02:53 PM
Hey, noob question here. In the description of the Book of Ancient Secrets eldritch invocation, it says "...you can add other ritual spells to your Book of Shadows. When you find such a spell, you can add it...". My question is, how do you "find" such spells? Scrolls? Other spell-casters who can write them down for you?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PhantomRenegade
2015-05-23, 03:18 PM
Same way you would as a wizard, find magic shops in town, ask other wizards in town to bum stuff off their spellbook, try to find magic scrolls in town, drop not so subtle hints to your DM that you want spell scrolls, and finally find them in ancient ruins inscribed in massive stone tablets with carved dragons on top.

Toadkiller
2015-05-23, 04:27 PM
There are also spellbooks of defeated wizard opponents.

Ardantis
2015-05-23, 04:46 PM

That so fits in with the flavor of the power-hungry Tome Warlock.

Chronos
2015-05-24, 07:17 AM
Or, of course, ritual books of other warlocks or folks with the Ritual Caster feat, whether bargained with or defeated.

Scrolls will also work, but are more expensive, since they're erased once you copy them.

phonybone
2015-05-24, 12:34 PM

I think I have just discovered my character's purpose in life. Cheers!

Ardantis
2015-05-24, 05:34 PM
Cheers to you too!

Chronos
2015-05-24, 07:03 PM
Note that this works a lot better as a purpose in life for a wizard than for a warlock. There aren't all that many rituals, so a character really might reasonably end up learning all of them, and then have nothing left to learn. All wizard spells, however, is a much longer list.

Ardantis
2015-05-24, 10:01 PM
You're a real party pooper