PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces Character Build

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-23, 08:32 PM
Okay so I thought for a character that is suppose to be Special Forces Black Ops/Mercenary theme for steam-punk world. Anyways here my idea for the build I need help if this would be effective. The point of character is to be effective unarmed and armed assassin. With access to fire arms and such.

Psionic Warrior 2/Monk Fighting Style(Cobra Strike) 8/Dread Commando 4/ Psychic Assassin 6

Need to stay within official books any idea if the builds any good? I'm looking for versatility and toughness in combat over pure damage.

Edit: Okay taking the suggestions i'm thinking, lose feats but meh

Ranger( Two-hand Fighting) 2/ Monk Fighting Style(Cobra Strike) 8/ Dread Commando 1/ Assassin 6/ Ranger(Two Handed Fighting) 3

BowStreetRunner
2015-05-23, 11:49 PM
If ToB is used then I would consider Warblade 1 a must. Not only does it give you Weapon Aptitude but you can pick up some useful maneuvers. Whether you continue to advance Warblade beyond first is up to you, but I consider Martial Adepts much more versatile than most other martial classes.

EDIT: Oh, and I have never found Dread Commando to be worthwhile. Possibly a good idea that was poorly executed, but it just doesn't live up to its potential.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-24, 12:45 AM
If ToB is used then I would consider Warblade 1 a must. Not only does it give you Weapon Aptitude but you can pick up some useful maneuvers. Whether you continue to advance Warblade beyond first is up to you, but I consider Martial Adepts much more versatile than most other martial classes.

EDIT: Oh, and I have never found Dread Commando to be worthwhile. Possibly a good idea that was poorly executed, but it just doesn't live up to its potential.

Really not even that group initiative bonus for a dip

NevinPL
2015-05-24, 05:13 AM
super soldiers can be made easily by applying templates (half-elementals are nicely "buffed"), and grafts, to already powerful races

If you don't want to "change" your race, nicely SpecOp template is in the Unapproachable East (shadow-walker).
Other shadow\darkness related stuff is also nice, although more spy-ish, than soldier-ish.

Darkweave31
2015-05-24, 05:24 AM
Ranger/scout with swift hunter could get you a pretty good base to build from. Lots of survival, tracking, stealth, and spotting. Good at rapidly moving from cover to cover and skirmishing. Try searching swift hunter builds for some ideas.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-24, 08:06 AM
If you don't want to "change" your race, nicely SpecOp template is in the Unapproachable East (shadow-walker).
Other shadow\darkness related stuff is also nice, although more spy-ish, than soldier-ish.

Alright I'll look into it.
Edit: Looks very useful but I'm not sure I could get this template on my character right away at the start of the campaign but I'll remember it.

Ranger/scout with swift hunter could get you a pretty good base to build from. Lots of survival, tracking, stealth, and spotting. Good at rapidly moving from cover to cover and skirmishing. Try searching swift hunter builds for some ideas.

Ranger or Scout would be more useful movement wise then fighter or warblade.
Edit: I'm thinking of replacing the psionic warrior levels and 3 of the commando levels with ranger. Don't know why I didn't think ranger when SpecOps. Probably going to be 6 level of reg Assassin then.

FocusWolf413
2015-05-24, 09:39 AM
Do you hae access to pathfinder? If so, the PoW Stalker would be a good one. I also second the Warblade.

Have you considered a factotum?

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-24, 09:52 AM
Do you have access to pathfinder? If so, the PoW Stalker would be a good one. I also second the Warblade.

Have you considered a factotum?

Can't use Pathfinder and Factotum seems more like a skill monkey while I want to focus on combat.