PDA

View Full Version : Aegis Tristalt In-Character Mk. II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Aegis013
2015-05-23, 11:27 PM
Having figured out the cost and the items desired, the Sphinx swipes the enormous pile of treasure and the dossier off of the counter and takes it into the small closet sized enclosure in the back of the structure. As she goes, she telepathically communicates:

"It would not be wise for me to remain in telepathic communion during rendering of services, I will be removing the effect, but you may invite me back into the telepathic communion once the service is rendered."

She enters the enclosed confinement and after a short moment returns with goodies for the group.

She places the following on the counter:
Metamagic Rod of Chaining (normal)
Banner of the Astral Bastion (Shoulder slot or held, 20ft aura of immunity to Dismiss Ectoplasm and Incorporeality Nova for wielder and allies)
Wand of Find Traps (50/50 charges)
Wand of Sending (50/50 charges)
Gloves of Empowered Turning
3 Scrolls of CL 10 Rope Trick

She looks quizzically at the group, respecting your wishes for communication to be silent.

She rejoins the collective to inform you of the results of the Hypercognition service.
"It seems this Magnificent Mento has shielded himself against information gathering tactics, however, information related to the individual but not directly pertaining to him was not shielded. His capabilities, current whereabouts, and the like are unknown. However, it was determined what his abilities of divination revealed to him seventy years ago. He was given a vision related to your past and future and is convinced that you will be responsible, whether directly or indirectly, for a near unthinkable calamity that may well eradicate all life on the material plane.

He has convinced several powerful figures in this city that this is indeed the truth that they might work with him in what it is believed that he believes is an earnest attempt to save the world by any means necessary, and is associating with powers that it is believed he believes simply to be the lesser of two evils. He has escalated to the point of seeking your untimely demise after his plot to knock you out of the time stream until past the appointed time was foiled.

I can't guarantee the authenticity of the speculation on the part of the provider of the Hypercognition - that he believes he is saving the world, or that he is choosing the lesser evil, but the nature of his vision is certain, and the conclusions of the individual who rendered the service are likely to be correct."

General Patton
2015-05-24, 12:14 AM
"Th- thank you very much." Sahael starts trembling. His mental voice is pained. "Renia, you are far wiser and more moral than I am. Such a calamity will not be intentional, I swear on my very soul and to all the Gods in the Upper Planes. But it could be accidental, or coincidental. I've already made one catastrophic blunder. Please don't let me make another. Promise me you will stop me from being the smartest fool in existence."

How far do we have to go to reach a valid burrow point? I think we've still got a Teleport, but just in case.

Would Knowledge (History) or (Psionics) tell me anything about self-fulfilling prophecies? Would anyone else's skills work for that?

Mousedigits
2015-05-25, 12:34 AM
"Hey, Kasha, can you upgrade weapons? I've been thinking of adding an echantment to my sword. Unfortunately, I don't have the money tobuy it here at the moment.

Silver Night
2015-05-25, 01:12 AM
Kasha

Normally I can't, though I'm not sure if I might be able to with Sahael's assistance.

General Patton
2015-05-25, 01:25 AM
"Yes, of course we can do that, once things have settled down a bit.

Before we depart there's one last thing I need." Sahael sets 400 gp on the counter, and looks absolutely ashamed to even be asking after what he did with the last one. "I need a Feather Token Tree."

Aegis013
2015-05-25, 05:12 PM
The Sphinx takes the gold and acquires you a Feather Token Tree.

whoiam
2015-06-08, 06:10 PM
"...Could we remove the Sphinx from the collective now? This next part is probably best done privately. Besides, we've got another Teleport to do."

Assuming Sahael complies, Renia will teleport the group back out into the countryside before responding.

"Really? You think that's it? Just delegate your thinking to someone else and the world will be safe?! It won't be, Sahael. There's no guarantee I'll be available when it matters, no guarantee you'd still be inclined to listen to me when the time comes, and no guarantee that either of us would know (or notice) when it does.

For all we know, none of what happens is deliberate on your part, anyway. It would, in fact, fit the facts as well as we know them better that way - a deliberate act on your part could have been averted by Mento simply sharing the prophecy with you. That he's attempting to kill you suggests that it is something he does not think you can be talked out of or warned against. This could, of course, be incorrect reasoning on his part, but it's fairly safe to assume he, at least, believes it's such a situation.

Now, we could speculate forever if we wished, but this tends to be one of those situations where the best solution is the simplest one. I say we go ask Mento what he saw. More specifically, I suggest we hide you, and then Kasha, Trasil and I go and ask Mento. If we can get in close enough without getting into another fight, he may well be willing to talk. Especially when we propose to hand you over for destruction if he can convince us there's no way to avoid or circumvent the vision, and that the future without you in it is better than the one with.

I won't even have to lie. If he can convince me that handing you over is the only way to save the world, I will do it. But we will look for alternatives first, and that process can only start if we get him to share the prophetic vision we're going to have to try to avert."

Probably the most chilling part was that her tone never once varied from 'clinical'. No passion, no anger. Just the serious tones she had probably honed on years of parishioners and the wounded.

"But that's for the morning. Until then, we have some work to do. May I have one of the scrolls of Rope Trick? We should get into cover first. Trasil and my requests are likely to take some time, and I have to work on a new spell for tomorrow..."

General Patton
2015-06-09, 01:50 AM
Sahael hands over all 3 scrolls of Rope Trick.

"While you make excellent points, I was not asking for delegation so much as for counsel, for we have different mental specialties and modes of thought. Particularly, you counterbalance my ruthlessness and are more scholarly. If I decide I need to shove an evil artifact-wielding demigod into a Sphere of Annihilation, who better to warn me that it might cause a total planar collapse or summon the doombringer from the Far Realms? Since we know about the prophecy, we all need to be even more proactive and aggressively preempt any planar-level risks if we have even the slightest notion of such a risk."

He pulls out the Wand of Sending and sends a message to Nate. "We need help. Situation complicated. My Seer is pulling strings, conspiring to destroy my soul." The remaining 10 words go to describing the approximate location of their camp. He then Reconfigures to have Burrow and Eyestalks. He submerges, with eyes sticking above the surface, and waits, watching.

Aegis013
2015-06-09, 03:28 PM
Nate responds to the sending "I'll meet you at your present location. I'll be there soon."

Several minutes pass by before the familiar sight of Nate riding his pet hunting bat Pazuzu swoops down from above. The bat gracefully descends in a wide spiral until it lands nearby. Nate casually strolls over to the group and asks "So what manner of help are you looking for?"

Pazuzu paces restlessly nearby.

General Patton
2015-06-09, 11:47 PM
Sahael pops back out of his hiding spot in the ground. He auto-succeeds on Sense Motive to detect Enchantments. Assuming he detects nothing, he'll proceed.

"Not really sure. Things are an absolute mess. The guy I've been after" He shows the sketch. "was set off decades ago by a prophecy that I'd somehow inadvertently be involved in destroying all life on the Material Plane. Since he couldn't avoid it with the Quintessence trap, now he's going for death and/or soul destruction. He's convinced a bunch of the more powerful people in the city of this, and they're conspiring. There's no completing our quest without dealing with him first. He's one of the biggest obstacles in our way, and will continue to come after us even if we manage to bypass him here.

We've had two failed forays into the Otyugh Hole and the adjoining area full of caged creatures and gladiator-slaves. All we've managed is some poor intel-gathering, and two easily-reversed deaths. You've probably noticed the other group of adventurers here to collect our bounties. I drove them off with a massive cave-in, but there were a bunch of accidental civilian deaths. I have a plan for resurrecting them all en masse, but in the mean time, the adventurer who was most likely to negotiate, an Azurin, has bought into the propaganda and is now hellbent on revenge.

So, that's where we stand. I've got this Wand of Sending to attempt negotiation. We need to make plans for taking them down if that doesn't work. We need to go after one of Mento's co-conspirators to figure out how we get at him directly. I figure our overly conspicuous antics have done wonders for keeping the heat off you while you're snooping around. Maybe if we coordinated something, you could go after one of the co-conspirators while the whole city is distracted. Mr. Ordo himself is probably too dangerous to take on alone, but his associates are probably also in on this. You got any leads for singling out one of them as a worthwhile target?"

Aegis013
2015-06-10, 08:45 PM
Nate responds in his raspy whisper:

"I see. I've been investigating the goings-on but I don't think his Mento character is pulling all the strings, only some of them. I started off trying to get information from the criminal elements in the city, but it seems they've become the government. This happened well before Mento showed up here, shortly after the Duke got sick and miraculously recovered. It seems he's definitely got the Ordo family's ear, and is being allowed to move around within the court, but most of the officials don't pay him much credence.

I have a lead you might be able to follow up on, but it may be dangerous. It seems the head honcho of the slave gathering operations is a tielfing. She goes by the name Rory, and came into power shortly after the Duke's mysterious illness. Before that she was a crime boss in the area. The warforged gang that held the most recent slave auction are some of her underlings, and while she doesn't have any influence with the Conferi she has a good deal of sway with the city guard now. She's been trying to get in on the Ordo's coliseum business but hasn't had much luck. As far as I know she's neutral towards the Ordo right now, but it might be possible to pull her strings and play the groups against each other. The only problem for you might be who would end up as collateral damage if they began a turf war.

That's really all I have. I don't want to get involved with the court here, and since the criminal element is the court, there's really nowhere else to turn to scrounge up more information. If there's something specific you want me to do, I'll consider it, but I'll probably return to the Capital soon."

General Patton
2015-06-12, 04:23 PM
"Well, I don't want any more collateral. Would she be likely to have any useful info on the Ordo family? We could always destroy her operation and then interrogate her. Perhaps if we make a public display after their deaths, some kind of half-melted Warforged totem, we could also start inspiring a proper resistance movement against the local tyrants."

Aegis013
2015-06-12, 09:31 PM
"The Ordo family has been law abiding even before the cultural shift in Comercia, whereas Rory was criminal, so theirs is a fledgling rivalry not even two years old. I don't know if she'd have gotten anything really useful on the Ordo family in that time, but it's possible, she is an experienced crime boss after all." Nate says in reply. You get the impression that he specifically calls her out as being experienced to suggest the possibility she might not be so easily toppled.

General Patton
2015-06-15, 08:53 PM
"Well, if the others think this is a worthwhile step towards victory, then we can certainly pull it off. We've got former possessions of the warforged to aid in scrying. And after I resculpt my memories a bit, I'll have a new technique that could come in handy for destroying their morale, especially if we have a smaller encounter with them before the main confrontation with Rory. Specifically, a hostile Mindlock that leaves a victim's mind susceptible to my own special brand of terror. Once formed, I can terrorize and mutilate them from afar as if I were physically present. Once I've forced my way in, it is too late to resist any further. I can make an example of whichever unlucky warforged we allow to report the first attack, in front of Rory. And then I can use that power on her in combat before delivering an ultimatum. When one can simply retreat and then make a foe cower and inexplicably shred apart into bloody pieces of gore, or scrap metal as the case may be, from an unknown position, one can be very persuasive." Sahael starts chuckling darkly, several steps removed from outright evil laughter, but still disconcerting. "Oh yes, they will know the pain of one's life being under the control of another, as they have inflicted on countless others. And then they will surrender. They can't NOT surrender. Not without something like Mind Blank."

Going to Psychic Reformation my Terrors and Dread Bonus Feats to learn Mindlock (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread/dread-terrors#TOC-Mindlock) and Open Door (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/open-door). Fear in Flesh, Imperious Command and Fearsome armor makes this an awesome/terrifying combo.

Aegis013
2015-06-17, 07:43 PM
Nate replies "I see you've thought this through. Is there anything else you need from me?"

General Patton
2015-06-17, 08:43 PM
"Would you happen to know anything about the capabilities of Rory and her main underlings? And what have they been up to ever since we drove everyone into a panic? I figure they're either keeping their heads down, or bounty hunting. What about their bases of operations?

Does she have a family? We all know how quickly I 180'd when dealing with that Orc. It may help convince her to talk if I mention that the last guy I interrogated who had a family earned my mercy. And merely revealing that I know about hers would give me an advantage when her imagination runs wild at the implications.

Oh yeah, the other group of adventurers seems to be in it for the political favor. You're more knowledgeable about the subject than I am. Any chance we could use Sending to pull some strings at the capital and make it more favorable for them to either cooperate with us or stop interfering?"

Aegis013
2015-06-18, 12:07 AM
"I don't know what Rory's personal capabilities are. She has two tieflings that work closely with her, who might be related to her, to the best of my knowledge they perform secretarial work and I haven't heard that they have any combat ability. They go by the names Sly and Cunning. I assume they're pseudonyms. Otherwise, I don't know of any family.

As a crime boss, Rory has mostly just managed underlings to accomplish whatever goals she's had in mind, keeping her own hands relatively clean. Her personal underlings are headhunters. They've mostly adapted to the new moral climate by gathering slaves and capturing monsters, I'm really not sure what their personal capabilities are, precisely, but they're quite good at taking down foes without resorting to lethal force. I'd expect they use magic to accomplish this, but they're very selective about who can accompany them, and newcomers either die on the first outing or are indoctrinated into their group. They're careful not to move alone, so getting information out of them is somewhat difficult. Below that she controls most of the new town guard. They're just thugs and sell-swords. I haven't seen or found anything particularly noteworthy in the ranks of the town guard, those I've questioned aren't very informed. They typically don't even know who controls the town guard."

Nate grimaces for a moment, calling something to mind.

"Since you're serious about going after Rory, I should tell you I was able to pick up the scent of a covered up assassination of one of the old guard of the Duke's court that happened some time back, based on what little information I got, she might have the Clawed Boogeyman in her employ. The Clawed Boogeyman is a notorious assassin normally associated with one of the major syndicates based in Mare; our main border outpost with Bellicus. Nobody knows what the person looks like as there are never any witnesses, just the mutilation left behind after a job. The Boogeyman is only used for important jobs though, as not even skilled magic practitioners have been able to restore those slain to life, or divine the culprit.

This might mean that Rory is a branch head of that syndicate, but the details were accounted from old memories, as the records were mysteriously lost, and didn't match other accounts perfectly. It could've been set up to look that way as an intimidation tactic. It's difficult to know for certain."

Nate sighs as the topic turns towards the capital and the court there.

"As far as the capital is concerned, it really depends on what they want the political favor for specifically. If it's to enact some kind of law change, that would be extremely difficult with the king's present state, assuming it hasn't changed, but it would be possible to do so locally here, assuming there was no conflict with the king's law. If they're looking for title or land or something, the court magician has the authority to grant the lowest titles of knight, baron and viscount if the king should be indisposed, though, historically, it hasn't been done. You'd probably need to make a pretty convincing case. You'd also need to call in any favor you might have to accomplish such. We might have some from cleaning out the tomb where we found you, but it might not be enough to evoke meaningful action from the court."

General Patton
2015-06-21, 03:18 PM
"I think I know how we can do it. We scry the warforged and pick an opportune moment to strike when they are isolated. We leave one of them alive but incapacitated. I will ensnare it with the Mindlink and then drag it deep underground where no one can reach it. We make a surprise attack on Rory. If we are forced to retreat, then I can return our prisoner to the surface, resuscitate him, and send him off as a messenger/example to destroy her morale before the second strike. I can't see any obvious improvements to be made there.

Would you care to camp out with us before you depart? We're just about to set up a Rope Trick."

Aegis013
2015-06-22, 12:36 AM
"I'm going to leave immediately for the capital, since Pazuzu does perfectly fine in the dark, and while I personally don't want to deal with the court, it's a long shot, but, if I drop some anonymous tips to the Convectus twins, they might be able to rile up some action from the capital to help your cause here. Or at least try to stamp out this corruption. I figure in this matter, every second counts."

General Patton
2015-06-25, 12:26 AM
"Alright. Thanks for the assistance. Godspeed."

Sahael will provide everyone with any Psychic Reformationing they need, Overchanneled and augmented such that it does not inflict any penalties.

Aegis013
2015-06-25, 10:49 PM
Nate bids you farewell and whistles, causing Pazuzu to wobble over to him with a very funny looking jaunt. It's not long before Nate has mounted his trusty bat and the creature spreads its impressive leather wings and takes to the sky, needing several extra flaps to lift the weight of its passenger and kicking up waves of dust and dirt.

A few moments later and the bat has carried Nate out of sight.

General Patton
2015-06-28, 12:04 AM
"Alright, we're going to need some Scrying in the morning. That's an hour of time that must be spent in safety. However the information yielded may provide the most advantage if we are closer to the target, so as to strike when the iron is hot.

Thanks to a recent breakthrough, the Collective now reaches out roughly 840 ft. I can take all of us at once and Reposition us to locations of my choosing within 210 ft. Our connection is strong enough to pull all of you through to me despite intervening obstacles, but projecting you back out to your destinations is subject to obstruction, so I can't Echo a Chain of Eyes to seamlessly place us on the other side of a wall that Kasha has passed through. Fortunately, I can also swap the positions of any two of us, so I can Dimension Swap with Kasha and then Reposition us there. Using 3 Dimension Swaps takes slightly less energy than Reposition, so if all we need is to cross through a wall without damaging it, and we're not in a hurry, that's how we'd do it.

We'll want to take full advantage of our not needing to breathe. I can submerge us into the ground and slowly ferry us about, very slowly. The main advantage there is being able to conceal you and then pull you out at a moment's notice. Given the possibility that I could be incapacitated before doing so, you should have a Chain of Eyes on Kasha in order to Dimension Door out of the ground, for survival or offensive purposes. Verbal components will be tricky, but wearing one of these filter masks should leave you with a few cubic inches of free space to move your mouth. We'll need to move as a triangle formation, maintaining contact between all 3 of us, since you won't exactly be free to grab your emergency teleportation-buddy."

Sahael passes 5 filter masks each to Trasil and Renia, who ignored the earlier offer or were late to the party, respectively.

"Once we find our targets and get on the scene, terrain permitting, I can follow the vibrations and force a Mindlock by unobtrusively touching the bottom of their feet. Boots? Metal boot-feet. With that vulnerability open for exploitation, we can then pick the opportune moment to strike. We take one survivor captive, interrogate him, knock him unconscious, and then bury him deep as an insurance policy.

If they're all hunkered down with Rory, then we may need to manufacture a ruse for them to leave. It would have to be business-oriented and not pleasure, since they don't eat or drink and aren't particularly sociable. Maybe if we could fake interest from a potential customer? Or if our presence in the city is known, then they may opt to go headhunting, but they won't be beaten as easily.

Not sure what we'll do about the Clawed Boogeyman. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised someone else already has that moniker. We might want to be prepared in case someone has developed abilities similar to mine. Ordinary protection from fear won't cut it. The only option is to keep your distance or have your mind completely shielded.

Oh, there's a slight chance you could get some info from those guard heads, but I wouldn't expect much from them in that condition.

That mostly just leaves the issue of what to tell the Azurin. 'This was an accident. We have plans to bring back all the innocents who died. A group that is nearly their equal is able to provide favors that nobility and money can't buy.' Etc, etc. Mentioning that we work for the King may be slightly advantageous, but it risks drawing them in as an opposing group trying to find the Potentia for themselves. I'm not sure if the transfer of government is first-come-first-serve with no other selection criteria beyond 'we found the thing', but I wouldn't risk it."

Silver Night
2015-06-28, 01:54 AM
Kasha

I suppose at this point it's already a bit late to stroll in and recruit allies in town. Ah well. I would be careful assuming that any soldier we kidnap is in fact any insurance. We will also need to take measures to ensure we aren't interrupted in this endeavor by our erstwhile pursuers. Though this time I'll at least have 'Deathward' prepped.

General Patton
2015-06-28, 02:10 AM
"Hmm, well, by insurance, I really meant someone we could send in after a retreat and before a second assault. Someone who thinks they're going to deliver a meaningful report to Rory but in fact is actually going to freeze in terror before her and be shredded to pieces as a morale-breaker."

whoiam
2015-06-28, 04:26 AM
Fresh off a nice long period of letting Sahael gather information that will probably be useful... much later..., Renia finally pipes up again.

"For a 'good' person you seem remarkably fond of terrorizing people. It's my professional opinion as a priest that you've probably been skipping too many sermons in favour of advancing your adventuring career. You may want to do something about that...

Anyway, nice as this discussion is, I'm not taking any part in it. The plan, I mean. I'm not prepared to run around playing politics until I've gotten the details of that vision from Mento.

My plan's actually pretty simple, and doesn't involve spreading a single bit of terror. I, and Kasha and Trasil if they're willing to come, will be returning to the city in the morning, under cover of Veil. Then I find Mento, and I speak to Mento. Even if that process requires handing myself in to accomplish."

General Patton
2015-06-28, 05:29 AM
"What can I say? There's something viscerally satisfying about using fear against the wicked. I take the embodiment of all my concerns, all my fears of what might happen to contradict what is right, and turn it around on those who would choose to violate what is right.

Wouldn't it be overly selfish to concentrate on the ethical minutia of my decisions when there is so much large-scale evil to set right in the world? I believe an apt metaphor would be 'decorating one's home while the neighborhood is on fire'. Not much point in agonizing over my weapon of choice.

I don't trust Mento around you guys for a second. He will take you hostage immediately and use you to lure me in because he knows it will work. He will put your very soul on the line because he knows better than anyone that I literally can't turn my back on you." At this point Sahael is raising his voice as tears stream down his face. "Can't you see what you mean to me? Don't make me sacrifice everything just to save you!" This is the voice of a distraught man whose entire raison-d'etre hangs in the balance. Immeasurable emotional weight invested in the literal and figurative bonds with his companions, their loss is nigh unthinkable and threatens to tear his mind asunder, for if one half of his soul were fear incarnate, then another half would be loyalty incarnate. His psyche resembles not an individual, but rather a family reduced to one member seeking completion.

Mousedigits
2015-06-28, 01:43 PM
Trasil simply stands there, thinking. Which plan to go with? He, being a naturally curious person, did want to know what Mento's vision entailed. However, he also knew that it would be enormously risky. If they got captured....

Wait.

What if we made sure that Mento didn't know we were your acquaintances? Granted, disguising ourselves may prove difficult, even with the aid of magic, due to the fact that he may have something such as true sight. But even true sight can't see through a good physical disguise...

That said, Sahael's plan is likely the safer approach. And, it has a much better chance of getting us info.

In the end, I'm fine with either.

General Patton
2015-07-03, 04:25 PM
Sahael trembles a bit from the overwhelming stress as he responds. "Unsolicited visitors showing up to ask about the prophecy would be far too suspicious. He'd know you were with me based solely on the timing of the visit.

We'd have better luck finding out the details after we've apprehended him. Even using Sending would be better, on the basis that he reduces the odds of apocalypse by letting me know what to look out for. But we aren't asking him about that right now. He may not be entirely aware of what we do know, and I'd like us to accomplish something meaningful today without his interference."

whoiam
2015-07-04, 05:23 PM
Renia, it seems, is far less emotional about such things than Sahael is. "You've known me for about two days. Grow up."

Turning to Trasil, she continues: "I wasn't planning to put too much effort into disguising myself. A nice illusion will get me past the worst of the guards - when I reach someone capable of seeing through the illusion, I will simply fall back on the truth - that I'm considering switching sides, but won't make such a move without first being convinced that Sahael's destruction is the only means of thwarting this bad future Mento foresaw."

And back to Sahael to finish: "No offense intended, but until I'm sure that executing you isn't the best thing I can do for the world, I'm of the opinion it's probably best you not do anything."

General Patton
2015-07-04, 08:52 PM
One of her comments has struck a nerve with Sahael. "Grow up? You mean to tell me that having empathy is childish? That it is immature to conquer selfishness by loving others as oneself? This is who I am. This is what I am. My psyche is built to quickly form bonds with others and place them above myself. My will shall one day extend across all of reality itself as an impenetrable bulwark for those I have chosen to protect. This is no childish fixation on a new acquaintance. This is the kind of painful responsibility that the Sun Father himself would undertake for his children. If you have a problem with that, I'm sure you know how to take it up with whichever god made me this way. In the meantime, don't tell me that it is wrong for me to feel feelings. Those feelings may seem overly dramatic by normal standards, if only because everyone else's hearts are too small to reciprocate them, but they fuel almost every aspect of my power."

whoiam
2015-07-04, 09:01 PM
"To have feelings is not childish, and at no point will you find me saying so. To be ruled by your feelings even against the dictates of your own better judgement is.

Quite literally so - the ability to separate desire from action is a skill that most master during childhood. I'll admit, I've yet to meet anyone - myself definitely included - that has self-control enough to act rationally in every situation. But you should be able to do better than walking into oblivion against both your own judgement and the desires of the person held hostage simply because you 'care too much' for someone you barely know.

And if you cannot, then I suggest you start practising, soon. Because it could well be the case that we cannot risk letting you continue to exist if you cannot control yourself."

General Patton
2015-07-05, 03:13 AM
"I have lived, both with and without powers, for nearly an entire human lifespan. I know fairly well how to maintain the balance of rationality and emotion. It is only the repeated failures, the exponentially increasing stakes, and the presence of my nemesis that has recently knocked me out of balance. You are right about us barely knowing each other. Otherwise you'd have established a baseline to compare my present state to, and would realize this isn't quite normal.

You've given me enough to think about. It's up to me to spend the next 8 hours sifting through all my memories and every persona I've had in order to reinvent myself, again. For now, let's address something more useful. What do you know about self-fulfilling prophecies? Mento's actions sparked my rise to power. If self-fulfilling prophecies are especially stubborn about coming true, and that's what we're dealing with, then it may be necessary for Mento to change up his strategy and come at this laterally by getting us involved. I don't know if we can convince him of this, but it would certainly help if there was already a body of work on the subject."

Knowledge (Psionics) [roll0] and Knowledge (History) [roll1] for knowing about the subject of self-fulfilling prophecies and how that situation tends to pan out.

Aegis013
2015-07-05, 04:33 PM
Prophecy is extremely rare. The most common result of a prophetic vision is simply misinterpretation. Seeing a possible future is a bizarre thing, and difficult to interpret precisely. Some are more clear cut than others, though interpreting one even decently is even rarer than the gift itself.

Most prophecies deal with individuals or relatively minor events, as most gifted with prophecy simply lack the power to see the future on a grand enough scale to foresee something as drastic as an apocalyptic event.

Those you do know about, and what you know from your innate understanding of psionic secrets, is that a true prophecy is very likely to come to pass if it is not acted against in some means by those aware of it. However, the future is never set in stone, it is, theoretically, always possible to achieve a different outcome, although not always successful. Whether or not the unsuccessful attempts were because said prophecies were self-fulfilling is a philosophical question more so than a logical one.

whoiam
2015-07-06, 04:03 PM
"I have to admit I've little experience on that point. I've had some divinations training, but that's mostly around things like clairvoyance or detecting intentions or deceptions. Most diviners don't actually get to do much in the way of prophecy..."

General Patton
2015-07-08, 09:23 PM
Sahael divulges everything he knows on the subject, and then without much left to discuss opts to let everyone get some rest.

Come morning, once he is done ruminating on his long troubled life, a change has overcome him. He seems much more at peace, with a faint smile. "If we are to fight fate, we must take the path of most resistance, turning aside what is probable for that which no one could predict. As much as I hate to say it, we should cooperate with Mento. Making myself available for his plans, and pooling our colossal intellects, we can enact alternative courses of action that wouldn't have been practical before. We can't be certain that he hasn't misinterpreted things. My part in all this may actually be a failure to prevent the end, and on that basis, I think we can convince him to try other things first, even returning to the stasis plan if need be."

Mousedigits
2015-07-09, 12:43 AM
Trasil smiles, obviously pleased that there would be no more in-group conflict on the matter... Hopefully.

Well, I'm glad we made a decision.

whoiam
2015-07-11, 03:58 PM
"True, it's always hard on the kids when mommy and daddy fight. Alright, I'm going back into town to make contact with Mento. For 'kill-on-sight' reasons, Sahael should stay here until Mento's agreed to a meeting. Trasil, Kasha, would you rather come with me or keep Sahael company?"

General Patton
2015-07-11, 06:51 PM
"Hold on. I've got this wand of Sending. We might as well begin negotiations from a position of safety." Sahael proffers the implement of communication.

whoiam
2015-07-11, 06:55 PM
"Well, Sending only works with targets you're familiar with. It'd probably work for you but it's worthless to the rest of us. So, it comes down to this: Is his response going to be better if contact is first made by me, or by you?"

General Patton
2015-07-11, 07:50 PM
Sahael manifests some of his usual precautions.

Everything is overchanneled because free healing.
Empathy for 13 hours = 3pp
Shared Detect Hostile Intent on everyone for 130 minutes = 8pp
Shared Adapt Body on everyone else for 13 hours = 13pp
Adapt Body on self for 13 hours = 9pp
Conceal Thoughts on everyone for 13 hours = 4pp
Total = 37pp

He shakes the wand a few times until it activates. "Mento, this is Sahael and Co. We know about the prophecy. We are willing to help prevent the apocalypse. We hope you will be equitable."

Aegis013
2015-07-11, 11:54 PM
You receive a simple response from Mento.

"I have expected this for some time. If you wish to meet, come to the coliseum grounds. We shall parley."

General Patton
2015-07-13, 04:41 PM
Sahael passes on the message. "Not fond of the choice of locale. Should we request something a bit more neutral? Perhaps let him pick a direction from the city, meeting at a distance beyond the horizon?"

How tall were the city walls/towers that the guards were using? http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

Aegis013
2015-07-13, 11:04 PM
The walls are roughly 10ft tall, the towers roughly 20ft tall.

whoiam
2015-07-14, 02:05 PM
"You know him better than I do. Would that seem reasonable, or would it make him think we're attempting an ambush?"

General Patton
2015-07-17, 09:18 PM
Sahael does another Sending. "The location is acceptable, though inconvenient. So, what is the basic nature of the apocalypse? Pathogenic, planar, eldritch, temporal, breakdown of fundamental force, or other?"

He also sends one to the Azurin. "Sorry about the collapse. Wasn't personal. Already have plans for mass resurrection. Also, refrained from blitzing you outside the shop yesterday, for the civilians' sake."

Aegis013
2015-07-18, 06:26 PM
Mento responds "Details to be disclosed at the parley."

You receive no response from the Azurin.

General Patton
2015-07-25, 05:46 PM
"To avoid having our essence extinguished and being turned into Wights, I'm going to borrow memories of an esoteric power. We psions don't normally dabble in positive energy, but there are some who know how to sculpt it into a barrier." Sahael goes into a trance for 10 minutes.

Swap Enlarged Collective [Psi] for Expanded Knowledge (Resist Death) [Psi]
Swap Reposition for Trigger Power
Swap Adapt Body for Upheaval (if assumption that FoM doesn't beat natural difficult terrain is correct)

Everyone feels the spiritual equivalent of a warm blanket wrapped around their essence. This will insulate you from negative energy 3 times, and help you to resist other sources of instant death. For more long term protection, whenever we might need it, I'm going to weave together a heuristical node that will activate the same power again under certain circumstances." He spends another 10 minutes in concentration.

Creature us [4] = {Sahael, Renia, Kasha, Trasil};

If (IsNegativelyAffectedByNegativeEnergy(us))

ResistDeath(us);

"That will last us 13 days. They shouldn't be getting the jump on us with their usual trick." He spends another 10 minutes in concentration.

Revert all changes from the last Psychic reformation, except for learning Upheaval (unless, as stated, FoM surpasses natural difficult terrain)

He Reconfigures his body, losing some of his extra robustness in exchange for covering his shell once again in that unusual digging texture and sprouting 4 tentacles.

"Now I am equipped to shepherd us to safety. Oh, that would be useful as well." He Echoes Superior Resistance 3 times, and also Echoes Divine Insight once for himself.

"Just in case our telepathy is interfered with and/or a Silence spell is used, I have devised some code words and hand signals to indicate different escape plans. Akantor" He points his index finger upwards and twirls it in a circle. means we need an Invisibility Sphere. Burama He orients a palm upwards and lifts it. "means we converge on Renia and Teleport out. Caelis" He quickly clenches and unclenches a fist. "means you converge on me for burrowing out. Delius"He brings his fingers into a tube-like shape and thrusts them down at the ground. "Means we need to fracture the floor and walls as much as possible so we have a place to go while Ectoplasmic. Finally, Eruna" He holds up two fingers and slides them sideways. means that Kasha rushes away, through walls or floor if necessary, so I can Dimension Swap and then Reposition us.

Now, shall we be making our approach by Invisibility Sphere, or some other way?"

Mousedigits
2015-07-26, 03:54 PM
Nice thinking on those signals. Always good to be prepared. I wouldn't be surprised if Invisibility Sphere had very little effect. We're dealing with powerful people here. Arcane Sight or See Invisibility, or even True Sight, aren't out of the question. But, I don't have any better ideas, besides teleporting over there, or possibly burrowing.

whoiam
2015-07-27, 05:24 PM
"To be honest, I would have used 'loss of inter-party communication' as a reason to evacuate all by itself. Invisibility Sphere's not going to be much use - we have to be standing next to each other to all be in the same sphere, and if we're that close I might as well go straight for the teleport back out into the wilderness.

Anyway, the approach plan hasn't altered much. Veil, then teleport near to the city gates and walk the rest of the way. If we're lucky we won't run across anyone capable of penetrating that illusion until we reach the meeting point. It just has to get us through the streets without unnecessary bloodshed."

General Patton
2015-07-30, 02:34 PM
"Well, we might not instantly realize that we are cut off, or they might use Telepathy Tap. And the mere existence of Dimensional Anchor warrants all the other escape plans.

I'm sure they're investigating everyone who comes through the gates. Veil might not hold up to scrutiny. Is there a secluded patch of exposed dirt you could Teleport us to? Preferably one not on church grounds, since they've likely got that place under surveillance."

Aegis013
2015-08-04, 08:28 PM
So the team utilizes Veil and teleports beyond the city walls. As your group makes their way to the Coliseum, you notice there appear to be fewer Conferi on the streets that the previous trips through the city. You pass through unrecognized by the town guard and enter into the wealthiest district of the city.

When you approach the Coliseum you immediately notice two Conferi in the entryway, they see you approaching and say something to each other. They're not doing much to keep their voices down and you easily overhear their words. It seems they don't expect you to be able to hear them from such a distance. Perhaps they're underestimating your keen ears.

"Is that the group we're expecting?" the first one asks the second, her face contorting slightly as she squints at your group.
"Doesn't look anything like them, but considering how they've been able to move around in the town without being noticed before, it probably is." the second one says, folding her arms over her robed chest.
"Didn't they kill Sabrina and some guard she was working with?" the first asks as you approach.
"It's not entirely clear, but it sure looks like it. Don't let you personal feelings get you riled up, we've got a job to do."

As you get closer they open the front entrance to the Coliseum and say in unison:
"The Magnificent Mento awaits you inside."
"The Magnificent Mento awaits you inside."

You make your way past the two Conferi and onto the coliseum's gladiatorial grounds. Despite the overcast skies, the coliseum gives you no obstacle to see everything in the arena. Mento stands front and center, his upper face obscured by a gold and black mask. Even though his size is no more than average for a human, his presence seems to overwhelm those of the others. He wears luxurious, but practical clothing. There are four Conferi, faces obscured by low hanging hoods, standing behind him.

You also immediately notice the other adventuring group, merely standing off to the side together, far enough a way to give the impression they are there as merely a safety net, rather than as important characters to this parley. The Necropolitan in front, his strange crooked grin on his face. The Elf stands by him in his finely wrought breastplate, the Slaymate strapped to his back, occasionally releasing a hollow giggle as she plays with their group's Banner. The Azurin stands a little further apart, his eyes don't meet your group and his posture is somewhat awkward. His brow is slightly furrowed. The two sparrows sit on top of the Azurin, one on his shoulder, the other balanced on his head.

Not far behind Mento is a sizable rectangular table with what appears to be a veritable smorgasbord of exotic cooked meats and other delicacies. The tantalizing aroma of the spices used in the preparation fill your nostrils.

"I have been expecting you. Come, let us break bread together and have words." Mento states as he moves into a position at the head of the table. His four Conferi move with him, taking their places behind him. He gestures to the four cushioned chairs at the table "Have a seat."

Mousedigits
2015-08-04, 11:00 PM
As they walk into the coliseum, Trasil pauses, then turns to the two Conferi outside.

I'm sorry about your friend. I assure you it was all in self defense. However, that doesn't make it any better for you, I know.

He then continues inside with he group. When he sees the other group, specifically the grin on the necropolitan's face, he defensively rests his hand on his sword.

I don't like that grin...

When invited to sit, he waits until the others sit, and doesn't eat.

Anyone got detect poison or the like?

[roll0] sense motive on the Necropolitan, and [roll1] again on Mento.

General Patton
2015-08-05, 01:30 AM
Spot [roll0]
Sense Motive on Mento, the Necropolitan, and the Azurin [roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
To identify the mask. History [roll4], Psionics [roll5]

As Sahael notices the Azurin, he feels the judgement being passed on him. He can only sigh in regret.

"Heh, yeah, I'd be creeped out if I hadn't already transcended that. Just to be safe..." He extends his tentacles and firmly grasps his companions' shoulders. He sits down at the table, maintaining his safety tether.

"Got it under control." He manifests Sense Poison, without displays, on the food/cutlery/etc. Wisdom check to identify poisons [roll6].

He starts sampling the fare if it is safe. "Thanks for meeting with us. I can only assume you did not do this decades ago because I wasn't ready yet. So, what are we dealing with exactly and what is the expected time-frame?"

Aegis013
2015-08-05, 04:14 PM
Despite the low rolls, you think you manage to get a read on the Necropolitan. After your last encounter, he anticipates your group won't attack, and is being paid to be here as protection. He's happy he's getting what he considers to be free money, and secretly gloating to himself because he believes his group is superior to yours.

It seems impossible to read Mento, though.

You spot nothing especially unusual. You do notice that Mento's clothes are perfectly clean.

It seems impossible to get a read on Mento.

You're pretty sure the Necropolitan is smirking because he's being paid to be here and anticipates nothing of interest will happen. You also suspect he's secretly gloating because he believes his group is superior to yours.

You suspect the Azurin is conflicted about whether to believe your earlier Sending, and is beginning to second guess the adversarial relationship between your two groups.

You know that at least in the past, Mento was a charlatan, and masks are often favored by people who don't wish others to know their identities. You don't seem to detect any special properties from this one, however you do recognize it as a mask once belonging to higher ups in a town now long lost to the eastern desert. Supposedly such a mask was a symbol of coming to understand and even command mysteries of the arcane, but most records of that town have been lost, and a lot of what is believed is forged from incomplete documents and conjecture.

You detect no poisons, and tasting the strange fare, it turns out to be excellently prepared, though some of the meat is a bit stringy and tough, the salty, spiced taste of the meat is quite excellent.

Before addressing your question, Mento comments:
"Please, enjoy the food. It was prepared from the remains of creatures owned by the Coliseum after the tragic collapse."
He continues in a calm, strong voice, addressing your question, his facial expression obscured behind his mask,
"I'm afraid the outlook is unfortunately grim. I didn't take this approach previously because I wished to avoid using such barbaric methods as merely ending your life, but I'm afraid there is insufficient time left to concoct a satisfactory plan to remove your hand from the coming events without outright killing you. However, I hope I can convince you to change course here, to avoid any further bloodshed.

Mento sighs and breathes for a moment.

"Based on my prophetic, we have only ten days before the world will end." Mento pauses again, allowing the gravity of his words to sink in. "And it will be the actions of your group that cause this. Let me show you my vision. Ladies?" Mento says, indicating the four hooded Conferi attending him. They move into place and each begin to cast a spell.

The spell three of them appear to be casting is Silent Image. One appears to be casting Ghost Sound.

An illusory projection appears above Mento, it starts as merely a black square, but shapes begin to form on the illusory screen.

"I was only able to tell your involvement at the time, and not the identities of your companions because of our proximity at the time of the event." Mento explains.

First, a timer appears on the screen with an accompanying beep. It begins at 1000:000 and begins to count down rapidly (999:365, 999:364, 999:363, 999:362...) with accompanying tick tock noise. As it does, small lights appear, dotting the black screen and there appear to be more and more appearing, they begin to coalesce and light up a great deal, this light reveals what appears to be geography, you can recognize deserts, mountains, rivers.

This is clearly your country, the landscape and city locations match up perfectly.

At this time, with the count down clock slowing down as it draws nearer to 0:000, several especially bright lights appear and begin moving. You notice that several coalesce onto a single point, and begin moving together.

The place they joined together was the capital city.

Mento adds some comentary as you watch. "Unfortunately, I can't add the impressionist feelings accompanying these special lights to the display, but they each had a unique aspect. Yours, Sahael, was pure, unadulterated terror. The others included abstract feelings of such concepts as deception, power, skill, calculation, and studiousness."

The point of view moves in rapidly, the clock still affixed in its place though the pace of its descent is now much slower (it reads 0:013, and continues down slowly), you see a scene of several silhouetted people, immediately noting that your own outlines are among them, along with other previous comrades such as Nate and Herucles, as well as some which you simply don't know. These silhouettes appear to be moving together as a group, and coming upon statues, to which they appear to offer some thing, and the statues transmogrify into various tools - a sword, a cloak, and some other more difficult to recognize silhouetted items. The group of silhouettes collects the first at 0:010 on the clock. With each of these they collect, everything in the vision gets darker. Until finally, the clock hits 0:000 and a flash of what appears to be two eyes, too brilliant to distinguish any details appears for a split second, and everything goes black.

Mento waits a moment and, with his voice heavy, adds "The feeling accompanying the final portion of the vision was so intense, it is impossible to do it sufficient justice with words. The best I have come up with is simply: oblivion. When I had the vision originally, Sahael, you were the only figure among them who I could make out clearly, the others were all silhouettes. I am convinced that the clock is a one thousand year countdown, from where the records all seem to have been lost, and that it is through your actions, that the calamity will befall the world again."

whoiam
2015-08-05, 08:35 PM
Once they were inside the coliseum, Renia dismissed the Veil. Everyone already knew what they looked like, after all. No need to hide any further.

As with Trasil, Renia sits when she's bade to, and doesn't touch the refreshments. Then the display begins, and any glancing in her direction would notice she seemed to be in a spot of difficulty - squinting, shaking her head, rubbing her temples.

Church Inquisitors like Renia are trained to disregard illusions out of hand (mechanically, they get an automatic will save to disbelieve, even if they are unaware there are illusions present). Renia's locked in a struggle with her own training to allow her to intentionally fail her will save.

"The thousand year countdown theory seems sound enough, and I must take your word for it that the vision ends in oblivion. However, I must admit I cannot follow the logic that Sahael's actions are the cause of such. At its most basic, what I can see are several beings appearing to arm themselves... then a suspicious presence that I would appreciate getting to examine in more detail in a minute.... and then the end. What I cannot see is causality.

True, 'we end the world' is one possible explanation, but then, so is 'we fight against the end of the world... and lose.' Or 'the world ends while those who could have defended it were preparing for entirely the wrong conflict'. Or possibly 'we were destined to keep an artefact of potentially world-ending power out of the hands of evil, but lost too much time battling city authorities that had been sicced on us by one who had not sufficiently considered the ramifications of their vision'. And yes, I am somewhat bitter at having been declared an outlaw in my home city.

However, may we see the ending again? Specifically, the flash between the initial fade during the 'arming' sequence, and the final fade to black. I think I saw something... relevant... in there...."

[roll0] - Seeing how good a job Renia does of keeping her face neutral while Mento makes the case against them...
[roll1] - Seeing how good a job Renia does of keeping her face neutral while realising that Mento's vision isn't as damning as it could have been...

General Patton
2015-08-05, 10:07 PM
"Those eyes... something is going to be awakened, unsealed, or revived. I'd stake 98% odds on Tyrannus, 1.99% on Vrakmul, .01% on Xanaphia Nailo. The Skull Lords are obviously working to restore their master. That one showed up to drive you away from those tapestries is rather telling. On the other hand, the statues are associated with the Potentia. As we all know, ancient evils that can rival gods are one of those things that are usually sealed away instead of killed. These statues are indestructible, just what you'd expect of a prison for such a being.

Fortunately, I had a very lucky break while researching the history of this city. There were some very obscure sources indicating a precursor civilization before this country was founded. The metropolis that was here before Comercia was seemingly wiped out in an instant. Also, a pact of twelve jade souls seems to be important to that event, but I could not find further info on that. Incidentally, the metropolis was destroyed 1000 years ago, give or take 100. It seems odd that the prophecy starts with that countdown, unless it is meant to indicate an earlier event that ties into the current predicament. The pact could have been part of the sealing process and/or it facilitated the prophecy to warn of the unsealing.

As I see it, the statues are some kind of cosmic keystone that binds Tyrannus. Either they can only restrain Tyrannus for 1000 years and are scheduled to fail soon, or we were about to inadvertently unleash him. Alternatively, the statues do lead to the Potentia, the prophecy is meant to reveal the way so that someone finds it before Tyrannus' release, and it showed us because we just happened to be on the trail already.

Could we see that last section again, slower? I need to see whether it is darkening consistently with the passage of the last days, or with the collection of the statues."

Knowledge (History) for any relevant revelations on the topic [roll0]

Spot to scrutinize the frame by frame.[roll1]

Aegis013
2015-08-06, 04:38 PM
Mento explains, "I believe the awakening is a result of your collecting artifacts from the statues somehow. Ladies, display it again, as they asked."

The Conferi replay the vision on the illusory screen. With the extra scrutiny and slowed pace, it seems clear that the darkening occurs in distinct steps, at the very moment silhouetted items are retrieved from the statues. Mento calls for them to pause on the flash at the end, but all it appears to be are two obnoxiously bright dots, too bright to make out any details other than their rough shape. Based on the shape alone, you'd guess they wouldn't belong to a human, but monstrous humanoids and other humanoid races certainly aren't out of the question. Neither would a multitude of animals.

whoiam
2015-08-06, 05:13 PM
"How many of these prophecies have you made, Mento?"

"The more I look at those eyes, the more suspicious I get about this vision. It's not that I think it's necessarily wrong - although I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that some of the details, especially the countdown - turned out to be inaccurate in vital but apparently innocuous ways - but I wonder why it was sent to Mento. Instead of, say, one or all of us. Or every seer in the land.

And suddenly I'm left with the impression that those eyes aren't a warning of the doom approaching us - they're the true nature of the source of the vision, that couldn't quite conceal itself fully, much as it tried. That the vision was sent specifically to convince Mento to turn against us - or try to dissuade us. Not because it would be what's best for the world... but because it's what's worst for it.

It has to be accurate, of course. The information in the vision has to be good enough to allow Mento to intercept us. But then, all it needs are little tweaks to the order of things. Tweak the timing of the darkness to imply our actions are the cause. Stick in a countdown - that accurately quotes times between a known event and Mento's best chances to intercept us, but that does not accurately count to the world's doom, so even if we figure it out, we won't know when we're due to be struck.

Ultimately, though, one way or another we're going to have to wager the fate of the world on this question: Do we think Mento got the causation right - and our going after those artefacts dooms the world - or that he was mistaken, deluded or deceived into blaming us where we're not the cause? I think deceived. But I suspect it will be a hard enough sell even without exposing Mento further to the greatness of Sahael and my' double act..."

Aegis013
2015-08-07, 03:41 PM
Mento casually answers "This is the only prophecy I have had on such a grand scale. I believe the introduction of the vision is trying to get across just how massive in scope the effect of these events will be. I have, however, made numerous small, and accurate, predictions in my life. However, like any fortune teller, my accuracy has never been perfect. Though, I'm hoping you can see why I have taken the actions I have, and I'm hoping that sharing this information will be sufficient to get you to halt your efforts to seek the statues and the Potentia."

whoiam
2015-08-07, 08:10 PM
"I asked, you see, because I've studied a lot of seers in my life. With most divinations it is pretty unlikely that you'll ever get something so far beyond your regular powers without something else's aid. Or charlatanism, but I don't think any of us seriously believe you're lying about this. Which leads into the following question: If you were being surreptitiously warned by another power... who warned you, and why? Having seen the vision for myself... I'm not sure if that's a higher power trying to warn us of a mistake that would doom the world... or a lower power trying to scare us away from our most effective defence. Or just pure, random chance, but it's still something I believe should be checked.

I think, at this point, the best thing I could do is seek guidance from Pelor. While I suspect he won't know the source of your surprisingly-comprehensive vision, I think he will know enough about the Potentia to at least say whether or not going after it would doom the world."

Quietly, to Kasha: "Perhaps you should confer with your deity as well? On the question of 'Am I about to damn the world', I would be more than happy to have a second opinion to fall back upon."

And normally once again: "I would suggest, if all present agree, that once we've run out of things to examine in the vision, we be allowed the time to prepare a communion. It requires Holy Water and Incense, which I suggest Trasil fetches if you are unwilling to spare one of your soldiers to run errands. In terms of time, it should all be done in 20 minutes or so. If the God (or Gods) contacted support your interpretation, then we will agree to a period of 10 days of leisure time, remaining in place within the city where the guard - or your mercenaries - can easily keep watch over us.

If we are told either that a)retrieving the potentia is not, by itself, going to cause an apocalypse, or that b)the world would be better off were we to retrieve it than were someone else to do so, or c) Any other possibility that states we will be either better off or unchanged if we retrieve the Potentia, then you agree to call off the hunt for us and to provide what support you can during the remainder of our quest.

Does that sound acceptable?"

General Patton
2015-08-07, 11:11 PM
Sahael fetches his shapesand and fashions it into a set of five brandy snifters. He procures his favored alcohol and pours a carefully calculated amount, just enough that his prodigious mind can effortlessly chew through the haze. He leaves the bottle out for the others as he casually sips.

"The fate of the world is balancing on a razor's edge and the most important thing we lack is information. If retrieving the Potentia leads to doom, no one else knows this and it is inevitable that someone else will do it. If doom is coming and can only be stopped by the Potentia, then we're about to pass on that opportunity. We need to put our full resources into investigating this subject, so that we can either shore up the defenses on the statues or collect the artifacts.

The countdown seems like the most significant detail of the prophecy. There's no reason for it to show the distant past and emphasize the passage of time unless a past event is relevant. The time it takes since that point for us to collect the artifacts is essentially random and has no business being a clean round number. A supernatural event, however, could be tied into something that takes exactly 1000 years. We need to consult an expert on astronomic, astrologic, and planar cycles. Perhaps Tyrannus was sealed during an alignment that occurs every millennium, and the realignment weakens his prison."

He recalls how many bright lights there were.

Knowledge (History) [roll0], Psionics [roll1], and everything else [10] for any 1000 year cycles that are coming up soon.

Silver Night
2015-08-10, 03:35 AM
Kasha

"I agree with Renia." Once the vision faded Kasha takes up staring at Mento without blinking. Given her general lack of pupils, it makes her look somewhat statue-like herself, "Against the fate of the world I hardly think 10 days is an extreme price to pay. And I am willing to ask my own... patrons, though it remains to be seen if they will answer. I will require the less holy sort of water." She glances from Sahael to Mento, "Do your sort ever consider just talking things out, rather than enacting insanely elaborate plans? Anyway, I would like to add a rider to the earlier request. You assistance with the more mundane threats that might be present in the city, while we are avoiding the destruction of the world. I'm sure you are aware of the other power bloc that has been gaining ground with-in the city's structure - and I expect that we might owe the city a bit, after our recent activities."

Let's see if the eyes can be identified, why not?

Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion) [roll1]
Knowledge (The Planes) [roll2]
Knowledge (Nature) [roll3]
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) [roll4]
Knowledge (Local) [roll5]

Aegis013
2015-08-10, 01:54 PM
Mento motions toward his Conferi escort, and two of them each cast a spell.

The spell they are each casting is Expeditious Retreat.

They hustle off to fetch the Incense, Holy Water, and Unholy Water required.

Mento responds to Renia:
"I do not know if a higher, or lower, power granted me this vision. I've never pledged allegiance to any particular deity, or done acts to gain their boon. However, I am a powerful diviner. I suspect my vision was triggered by first coming into contact with Sahael and the incredible power that resides within his soul. Somehow, the cycle of death and rebirth hasn't affected your group the way it does most people, and each of you has an enormous deal of accumulated power from your past lives."

1000 year cycles are extremely hard to pin down, since the records cut off roughly that long ago. Some Astronomers believe there will be some kind of planetary alignment in the near future, but couldn't say if it's a 1,000 year cycle or longer.

Mento responds to Sahael:
"I have done my best to research what the timeline could be mean, but all I know is that about 1,000 years ago, this country was founded. I haven't been able to find anything conclusive on that train of thought, though I have explored it thoroughly."

Mento responds to Kasha:
"When I first encountered Sahael, the power of his soul and the overwhelming terror it possessed lead to me think that I was in terrible danger in his presence. I'm still not comfortable being in close proximity with any of you, but at this critical point, I feel it's important to try any measures available. I was very concerned our previously antagonistic relationship would prevent any logical discourse."

Mento responds to both Kasha and Renia:
Of course, if I am convinced you are not going to cause whatever cataclysmic event is in store, I will pay off the bounties that I convinced the Ordo family to place on you, and drop any charges for the untimely death of one of my Conferi. I will do my best to remove any other bounties as well, but the Ordo family may still wish to keep a bounty on you for damages done during your incursion into their subterranean facility, and Rory may wish to place a bounty on you for the untimely death of one of the town guard, which witness reports have tied to your group."

After a few minutes, the two Conferi have returned with the Incense and Un/Holy Water, which they hand to your group before resuming their formation behind Mento.

whoiam
2015-08-10, 04:33 PM
"I have little doubt that it was contact with the first of us that triggered the vision. The who and the why of it are still important, however.

If you will excuse me, I will need a quarter-hour in meditation to prepare a Commune spell. Lax of me, I should have thought to do so earlier. If it is not too much trouble, could the rest of you spend that quarter-hour trying to think up any additional questions I should direct to Pelor? I should, in total, be able to manage around 10 questions, all of a form to which we can receive a yes/no answer."

With a short bow to the others, Renia would retreat a short distance away from the main group. There, good to her word, she would begin her preparations.

General Patton
2015-08-11, 01:56 AM
"So, that is the source of our vast potential... fascinating.

I was not aware the Conferi were yours. Sabrina and the guard were disguised as us, with intent to fine innocent people that wouldn't report them. If you wish, I could un-decapitate her/them for inclusion in the mass-resurrections we are planning. Speaking of, is there anyone else, living or dead, to be rescued/retrieved from the collapse?

I have to say, the structural integrity of that stairwell was rather sub-par. If we had a Lyre of Building, we could reconstruct it better."

Sahael feels a strong need to address the lingering fear of his seeming ex-rival. "As a utilitarian, I can sympathize with your course of action. You'll get little animosity from me. On the contrary, I think we would make excellent colleagues. It does get boring having no fellow psions to dabble, discuss and research with."

He turns to face more towards his companions. "You know, I can Echo your Communion, several times, if we need to get more mileage out of it. I don't know if we need 30+ questions, but it's an option."

Sense Motive [roll0] regarding the veracity of the assorted things that have been said.

Silver Night
2015-08-11, 02:27 AM
Kasha

"Unfortunately, I would need to wait longer to have communion ready. So, if the answers Renia gets are not satisfactory, I can ask tomorrow. As for questions, to start with:

Is the vision accurate in its prediction of some cataclysm within 10 days?
Is our involvement the proximate cause of the cataclysm?
Is pursuit of the Potentia the cause of the cataclysm?
(If no) Is our stopping our pursuit the cause of the cataclysm?
If we end our pursuit for 10 days, then will that cataclysm be avoided?
(If no) If we end out pursuit entirely then will the cataclysm be avoided?
(If no) If we continue our pursuit then do we have a chance to prevent the cataclysm?
Is Mento lying or otherwise intentionally misleading us?
Is Mento being mislead by the source of the vision?

That's all I've got for the moment, and I'm sure they could be cleaned up. Oh, Mento, I don't suppose there are any intact monster corpses from the cave in? I have a use for one, if you lot don't have a need for it. For research."

Aegis013
2015-08-11, 12:38 PM
Mento responds "I have, at great personal expense, ensured those who died or were injured during our bouts have been resurrected or healed as necessary. However, the funds I've collected for my campaign to prevent the apocalypse have begun to rapidly dwindle as a result. My social capital and endearment of powerful figures in this town to me has increased enormously, however, so it was certainly not all for naught."

To Kasha he says "I'm afraid these were the scraps the Ordo family was merely going to discard anyway. If there were any intact monster corpses, they are not mine to give."

It seems impossible to get a read on Mento.

General Patton
2015-08-11, 03:40 PM
"That's a shame. I ascertained a method of performing mass-resurrections without monetary cost.

It strikes me as odd that there are 12 silhouetted figures visiting the statues, with especially bright lights representing what I can only assume are our souls. Perhaps those who made the Pact of 12 Jade Souls escaped the usual cycle of reincarnation, eventually becoming us. If true, is there perhaps some way to tap into their lost knowledge of these events through us?"

Silver Night
2015-08-12, 09:55 PM
Kasha

Any of you have any thoughts on the questions Renia should ask?

General Patton
2015-08-14, 09:58 PM
"Does the cataclysm involve the return of Tyrannus?
Are the 12 prominent figures in the vision reincarnated from those who made the Pact of 12 Jade Souls?
Were they involved in defeating Tyrannus?"

whoiam
2015-08-19, 03:56 PM
In all, it took Renia 25 minutes (15 in prayer, 10 in casting) to begin her communion.

Her first question: "Will our recovery of the Potentia damage or destroy this world?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 05:16 PM
Renia receives the answer: "Unclear."

whoiam
2015-08-19, 05:31 PM
Question 2:

"Could the Potentia damage or destroy this world, if retrieved by a party so inclined?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 05:41 PM
The answer returns: "Yes."

whoiam
2015-08-19, 05:48 PM
Question 3:

"If my colleagues and I do not act, will this world still be essentially intact twenty days from now?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 06:04 PM
The answer returns: "Unlikely."

whoiam
2015-08-19, 06:10 PM
The others present (who, I think, are not privy to Pelor's responses) can tell how good an answer Renia got to *that* question by the fact she's rather visibly blinking back tears as she asks the next one.

"Is Tyrannus the reason, in whole or in part, for your previous answer?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 06:27 PM
The answer returns: "Unclear."

whoiam
2015-08-19, 06:34 PM
Question 5:

"Would my colleagues and I recovering the Potentia increase our chances of preventing the coming destruction?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 06:47 PM
The answer returns, oddly not a one word answer: "If you were so inclined."

whoiam
2015-08-19, 06:51 PM
Her original train of thought rather thoroughly derailed by that response, Renia's planned next question is replaced by:

"Is there a good reason why I would not be so inclined?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 08:02 PM

whoiam
2015-08-19, 08:10 PM
Question 7:

"Are the souls in myself, Sahael, Kasha and Trasil four members of the Pact of Twelve Souls?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 08:35 PM

whoiam
2015-08-19, 08:40 PM
Question 8:

"Is Mento trustworthy?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 08:44 PM
The answer returns: "He is being honest presently."

whoiam
2015-08-19, 08:52 PM
That response draws a rather friendly smile directed at Mento - it's a rather odd effect, considering she's still got teary eyes, but it's the best 'you're clear' signal she could come up with without breaking the spell.

Question 9:
"Do you know the origin of Mento's premonition?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 08:53 PM

whoiam
2015-08-19, 09:00 PM
Question 10:

"Is the potential destruction tied to whatever destroyed the city that existed on this site before Commercia did?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 09:08 PM

whoiam
2015-08-19, 09:17 PM
Question 11:

"Was the Pact of 12 Jade Souls involved in the defeat of Tyrannus?"

Aegis013
2015-08-19, 09:36 PM
Answer returns: "Unclear."

whoiam
2015-08-19, 09:47 PM
"Thank You."

With her 11 questions asked, Renia cannot pose any more. So she moves on to sharing the results with the others.

"If we do nothing, the world will probably be destroyed. As far as they know,, retrieving the Potentia will not automatically destroy the world, but will also not necessarily save it. The main stumbling block is not power - the Potentia is powerful enough to cause such a cataclysm, and by extension, powerful enough to defend against such an attempt - but rather that they seemed to be casting doubts on our willingness to use it to save the world. It's pure speculation on my part, but from the wording (and who they were speaking to), I think the Potentia may have some measure of corrupting influence on its wielders - I can think of few other explanations for why they would have questioned my willingness to defend my homeworld.

Mento was confirmed as being honest with us - at least at the moment - but they could not provide additional details around Tyrannus, the Pact of Twelve Jade Souls or the fact of the predecessor city."

Mousedigits
2015-08-19, 09:52 PM
Well, that's a few questions answered, I guess. Now I suppose we keep trying for Potentia, if, as you say, doing nothing will lead this world to destruction.

General Patton
2015-08-21, 02:48 AM
"As far as the vision indicated, going after just one of the statues is not catastrophic on its own. So there's no reason not to go after the one we know of. It will calibrate our expectations for the other statues, and we'll probably find some ancient lost lore along the way. We can re-evaluate the situation from there.

We should spend the day preparing and set out first thing tomorrow. Could I take a look at the sewer blueprints and maps to plan our route?

Speaking of blueprints, let your benefactor know that I'll have something rather nice cooked up to replace the stairwell, if he can provide a Lyre of Building."

Sahael turns to address the other group, and makes their participation into a matter of ego.

"As some of the most powerful adventurers in the world, I'm certain your contribution to this effort will be most impressive."

He expends Divine Insight on his Diplomatic efforts at building rapport [roll0]

Aegis013
2015-08-21, 05:17 PM
Mento responds: "I'm afraid I don't know the layout of the tunnels underneath here, nor do I presently have access to such blueprints. The tunnels I believe you're referring to are utilized as the Otyugh Hole and are renovated after every Otyugh Hole event. I can speak with Mr. Ordo and see if I could obtain a current layout, but it may be difficult, seeing as last time you were in there, I advised he make his best attempt to end your lives to protect his current and future assets. Requesting such information may put serious strain on my good relations with Mr. Ordo. It's also incredibly unlikely he would be willing to allow you into the subterranean chambers again, at all, promises of construction or not. However, I can propose the idea to him if you think it will serve in preventing this cataclysm."

The Necropolitan immediately responds to Sahael's offer in his raspy whisper.
"Of course we will join you in this effort." as he says this, his strange crooked grin widens on his face, barely revealing some jagged teeth.

The Azurin begins to say something, but the Necropolitan simply waves a decrepit hand at him, causing him to immediately back down before he can even get the words out of his mouth.

General Patton
2015-08-21, 05:24 PM
Sense Motive on Mento, the Necropolitan, and the Azurin.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Aegis013
2015-08-21, 05:56 PM
It is impossible to get a read on Mento.
You suspect the Necropolitan may be hiding something.
The Azurin likely still just still feels conflicted.

General Patton
2015-08-22, 05:48 PM
Sahael concentrates on Empathy to read Mento, the Conferi, and the living members of the other group.

He manifests Detect Psionics without Displays and spends 3 rounds concentrating. Take 10 on Spellcraft [27]

Aegis013
2015-08-23, 01:36 PM
Mento has no emotions. None whatsoever to detect at all.
The four Conferi are busy concentrating on spells, but seem slightly nervous.
The Azurin is still conflicted. The Hengeyokai and the Elf are calm.

Detect Psionics detects three weak auras from three of the Conferi. A weak, and two moderate auras from the fourth Conferi. (If directed toward the other adventuring group there's boat loads of auras, as adventuring groups typically will have)

You manage to identify all but one of the auras. Three Conferi are using Silent Image, Silent Image, and Ghost Sound. One has Silent Sonorous Hum and Major Image running, but the last aura from the fourth Conferi probably isn't coming from a spell, as you're pretty sure you'd have successfully identified any spell that only gives off a moderate aura.

General Patton
2015-08-23, 01:44 PM
Of course, Sahael would like to note their active spells for later, whenever it's convenient for you to decide/list them. Right now, he's most concerned with whether they have Telepathy Tap.

Aegis013
2015-08-23, 01:56 PM
They are not currently using Telepathy Tap.

General Patton
2015-08-23, 02:48 PM
"Given that it only took a hand wave to silence him, it seems their leader has a history of being oppressive and controlling. I'm tempted to point out the lack of respect for his companions. Do any of you recommend against that? Or would you perhaps like that privilege for yourself? The Azurin is definitely conflicted and was probably going to say something to our advantage. As the moral center of their group, being ignored like that could conceivably cause him to defect. I have some strong opinions regarding the subject of proper leadership. However, if you have an opinion on the matter, that in itself would help highlight the difference between our group dynamic and theirs."

Is composing a Sending, and replying to it, an audible process? Or can the recipient reply in secret?

Mousedigits
2015-08-23, 03:55 PM
I'll do it. I was thinking about doing it myself, anyways.

Trasil steps towards the other group, then points to the Azurin.

You. Speak. Your "leader" he nods to the Necropolitan, over there might have no respect for what you have to say, but it might have some importance to the situation.

Aegis013
2015-08-23, 04:25 PM
The Necropolitan's smirk quickly vanishes from his face.

The Azurin stands there for a second realizing he is personally being addressed. He appears to think for a moment and responds: "I'll follow the decisions of our leader."

General Patton
2015-08-23, 05:54 PM
Sahael turns to address the Azurin. "I don't demand respect or obedience, because leadership should not have perks. It should be a burden, reserved for those in control of their ego. He has not made a decision for you. He has blindly dismissed anything you could possibly have said. In effect, he has denied your philosophy, your personality, and everything else you are as a person."

Necropolitan [roll0]
Azurin [roll1]
Elf [roll2]
Left Hengeyokai [roll3]
Right Hengeyokai [roll4]

He concentrates on Empathy again, directed at their group.

whoiam
2015-08-23, 09:06 PM
Finally getting to rise and stretch a little after her near-half-hour of prayer, Renia quickly continues the social theme of working at cross-purposes to Sahael.

"...Remind me never to sign you up for an army. You are aware that most combat or adventuring groups aren't quite as anarchic as ours, yes? That the leader leads is more or less the reason why the two words are so similar... True, I agree that respect and obedience can't really be demanded, but for all you know they've been hard earned. So maybe you should save the criticism until you're sure it's warranted, hm?"

"And try inviting that Azurin into the collective for a minute. I want to hear what it was going to say as badly as you do. But they're more likely to close ranks in the face of criticism than to humour you, so best to try getting that statement all quiet-like."

General Patton
2015-08-23, 09:16 PM
"That is an excellent point." Sahael humbly stands down from the verbal confrontation to resume eating, because unlike someone, his ego isn't at stake and he actually listens to his allies.

He invites the Azurin into the Collective.

Aegis013
2015-08-24, 04:47 PM
The Azurin's face becomes stoic during Sahael's criticism. The Necropolitan doesn't appear fazed in the least.

The Necropolitan is not amused.
The Azurin seems unsure of something.
The Elf and Hengeyokai's are all calm.

While Renia speaks, the Azurin nods at the appropriate time to indicate the leadership of their group has definitely been hard earned.

The Azurin doesn't accept the invitation into the Collective. It's very possible he's not aware of what it is.

You see him shift his stance, almost as if he's concerned a fight is going to break out.

General Patton
2015-08-24, 09:51 PM
"I suppose we can save the ideological debate for when the world is not in jeopardy, even though your methods are somewhat reducing our combined intellectual potential. In the mean time, I know a librarian who may be able to confirm some of my suspicions."

Sahael tilts back in his chair, casually drawing and activating his Wand of Sending.

To Tanariel Ururyn: "I'm still alive. Could you read up on a supposedly upcoming planetary alignment? Might be millenial and apocalyptic. Tell everyone I love 'em."

"I'll direct a Sending to the tight-lipped one later, when things aren't so tense."

Aegis013
2015-08-26, 06:51 PM
Tanariel's response comes back: "Thank goodness you're alive. Call more often. Apocalyptic? What mess have you gotten yourself into this time, Sahael? I'll look into it. I love you."

whoiam
2015-08-26, 08:11 PM
Feeling a little more herself again after her exertions (she did just cast 100XP worth of magic), Renia starts steering the conversation back towards important topics.

"Unless anyone else has a better idea, I'd suggest what we do is this: Mento takes the other adventuring party and starts searching for any hints possible about the nature of the doom that's coming in the next few days. While we resume hunting for the Potentia. Hopefully that way, by the time we retrieve it, we'll have some idea what we'll need to use it against. Both groups should keep in touch with one another - we're working together on this one, after all.

But first, we should start by squaring matters with the Ordo family. Our next steps will be rather easier to take once we stop being wanted people, after all..."

Aegis013
2015-08-27, 04:48 PM
The Necropolitan speaks up in response to Renia. "We will accompany you in searching for this... Potentia. Leave the bookwork to those who wish to perform it, but we are adventurers, not researchers." The Elf's expression clearly shows his agreement with their leader's statement.

Mento gives a nod showing his consent with this idea. "I have done a great deal of research in the hope of discovering this information, and despite not yet making any tangible progress, I will continue searching. Too much is on the line not to. Though I still have reservations regarding your use of this artifact and what the consequences will be, it is clearer now that inaction will likely lead us down an undesirable path."

Silver Night
2015-08-27, 11:50 PM
Kasha

"Well, things seem to be going smoothly. No doubt a golem made out of poison and adamantium will pop up any minute here.. Mento, thank you for meeting with us and reconsidering. I'm glad that you didn't interpret your vision right into the end of the world. Do you suppose there is anything you can do to smooth our path with the Ordo family? And is there anything we can do to assist with that smoothing?" She turns to her telepathic link with the others, "So, ten to one the jerky-mannequin over there is up to something. It might just be the embalming process, but he seems a bit too smug."

whoiam
2015-08-28, 08:01 AM
"Even if he wasn't, I wouldn't feel too comfortable having him accompany me."

"Then we should split up, I think. Not to put too fine a point on it, I a) don't think having you and Sahael in the same team will work very well and b) would feel much happier running down two leads at once instead of concentrating on one only to find we wasted some of our few remaining days on a wild goose chase."

Aegis013
2015-08-28, 07:09 PM
Mento responds: "As I've said, I'll see what I can do regarding how the Ordo family views you. But, while I can't guarantee it will be totally fixed, I should at least be able to remove the larger part of the bounties placed on you. I am unsure if you have any resources that I could use to argue in your favor."

"If this Potentia is as powerful as we are lead to believe, it is likely guarded by extremely powerful forces. Despite our seemingly preconceived differences, I think our best bet of surviving these ordeals would be pooling our manpower for its greatest effect. However, if you still believe the best course of action is to go our separate ways, I have a condition. I will send one of my group with you, and if you wish you may send one of your group with us to ensure that we are all working in the best interests of preventing this apocalypse, which we both agree is the seeking and collecting of the artifact in question." The Necropolitan's says, wearing his adventurer's paranoia on his sleeve.

General Patton
2015-08-29, 09:00 PM
Sahael responds to Mento. "Actually, I've got some cutting-edge information that Mr. Ordo will find invaluable when making business decisions in the near future. Exclusive information from a secret source."

He addresses the Necropolitan. "Swapping members between groups will hurt our effectiveness. I'd rather we tackle one objective at a time, together, with brutal efficiency and overwhelming force. We can do some research today, and then mount a cursory expedition to begin clearing the way. The full expedition can begin tomorrow, when we're fully recovered and haven't wasted resources preparing for an... altercation."

whoiam
2015-08-30, 06:07 AM
And Renia replies to them both: "Extremely powerful forces is one possibility. One of the other possibilities is that only the twelve souls from the vision can manage the retrieval... Admittedly, I haven't the faintest clue which, if any, of those theories is correct, and with so little time available we're likely going to have to run into the defences and see for ourselves.

But the suggestion about splitting up was based far more on my assessment of likely clashes between you, Sahael, and myself. It's my opinion that the resulting... 'discussions'... will hinder our performance more than the additional combat strength will help. Of course, if the rest of you think I'm worrying about nothing... Well, we're all mature adults. More or less. If you all think you can work together effectively, I won't stop you trying."

Aegis013
2015-08-31, 05:18 PM
The Necropolitan responds flatly, "I will not question your group's methods. If you wish to question mine, I will simply not respond. This should prevent any of these discussions of which you speak. For now, however, our aims are aligned. We are more likely to accomplish our goal working together than separately."

General Patton
2015-09-01, 08:18 PM
Sahael responds tersely. "This is acceptable." He turns to Mento. "Do you expect we'll be able to speak with Mr. Ordo soon? Or should we burn some time at the library?"

Aegis013
2015-09-02, 08:29 PM
"If you wish, I will contact you if I can get Mr. Ordo into a more amiable state. However, it would be unwise to seek audience with him now. He would likely try to have you killed after the damage that has been caused to his operations." Mento coolly replies.

whoiam
2015-09-03, 05:27 PM
"If we want to spend the day in the library, we're going to need another Veil - we can't go out in public looking like ourselves until the news we're no longer wanted criminals has had a chance to circulate."

Sighing quickly to herself, Renia pulls out her spellbook. She'd only prepared the one, expecting that she'd be teleporting away if she'd survived this meeting. Skulking around the city just wasn't what she'd been expecting.

Still, better than some of the alternatives...

General Patton
2015-09-04, 12:35 AM
Sahael writes a message in secret, under the cover of his wings, while telepathically informing his group of the content.

"It was inevitable that the capital would become aware of this travesty of a government. Now is the time to surreptitiously extricate yourself from the most immoral activities, and act as an informant and ally to the coming inquisition. Mala's testimony paints you as respectable, and it is for this reason alone that I trust you not to misuse this warning. You can come out of this looking like a hero, with considerable royal favor, but the true villains must take the fall."

He folds up the paper into a neat little square, and holds onto it while waiting for feedback from the group.

Aegis013
2015-09-05, 10:04 AM
The Necropolitan replies "The town guard is ...aware... of my group's presence and activity. A simple mundane disguise will be enough to get you through town if we accompany you to the location you seek. Even something as simple and wearing a plain cloak and pulling the hood low."

Silver Night
2015-09-06, 02:17 AM
Kasha

"Well, sounds good to me. And I can disguise myself, anyway."

whoiam
2015-09-09, 03:00 PM
"I generally cannot, but if you think it will work..." With a faint shrug, Renia stows her spellbook once again. "What do I need to do?"

Aegis013
2015-09-09, 04:54 PM
The Necropolitan states "If you have an unadorned cloak, pull the hood down low to obscure your faces. Our purpose in the town is known by the town guard, even Sahael", he indicates Sahael, it seems he's quick to pick up on names, "will not be questioned with us accompanying him. If you do not have a simple cloak, I have a few which I can loan you... for a small fee of three gold pieces." this last part he adds with a crooked smirk, ever the opportunist.

General Patton
2015-09-10, 12:45 PM
Sahael carefully folds up the message and passes it to Mento. "For yours and Mr. Ordo's eyes only."

Sense Motive [roll0] Is the Necropolitan merely greedy or looking to obtain coins that could be used as an aid for Scrying or something similar?

Aegis013
2015-09-10, 04:41 PM
Mento waves a hand and one of the Conferi come to accept the note.

Of those two options, the Necropolitan is greedy. You also suspect he might be wishing to gauge your group's reaction to the offer to gain insight into your group's dynamic, but it seems this offer is made without any malice or ill intention toward you or your group.

whoiam
2015-09-11, 06:33 AM
Renia ignores the cloak offer, pulling one (part of her Scholar's outfit) from her pack. It's a rather plain brown, but large enough for her to wear over her folded wings. She doesn't look especially comfortable fitting herself into it, but pulling the hood over her head solves that issue. (Or hides it, anyway).

"I'm afraid I don't carry any spares, " she tells the others. "So I can't help you much if you don't have your own."

General Patton
2015-09-11, 06:32 PM
Sahael raises his right arm and spends a moment staring at his palm. He takes a breath, closes his eyes, and lets it out slowly. The chitinous shell starts flaking off and evaporating, starting from his fingertips and rapidly spreading across his body, the extra appendages consumed in its wake. When it finishes, the man's olive complexion is much smoother than it was before. As a finishing touch, he lights up his halo. He fishes 3 gp and a small steel mirror out of his bag. He examines his reflection with one hand while the other one clutches the trinket that's allowing him to telekinetically hand over the gold.

Aegis013
2015-09-11, 09:14 PM
The Necropolitan reaches into his bag, his arm going deeper into the bag than the bag's depth, and he draws forth a simple hooded cloak a moment later. Swinging the bag back into its proper place, he takes the gold pieces from the air with one hand while holding out the cloak, assuming you will either come to him or utilize the same telekinetic ability to bring it to you.

General Patton
2015-09-12, 12:07 AM
Sahael indeed pulls the cloak to himself telekinetically and dons it over top of the much more distinctive Cloak of Charisma he was already wearing. No need for yet another recognizable indicator of adventurer-level affluence. "Oh, you meant 3 gold pieces each." He sends another 6 gp across the intervening distance and then distributes the cloaks accordingly. He draws up the hood, and then lets his body language indicate that they should start walking.

Aegis013
2015-09-12, 09:50 AM
After the exchange, the Necropolitan's group takes positions around your group, with the Elf and the Azurin in front, the Necropolitan behind, and the two Hengeyokai spinning circles high enough to gain a strong vantage on the surrounding area. You pass some town guards, some seem to think maybe they'll come up, but glares from the Necropolitan's group cause them to immediately back off. The trip is otherwise uneventful. You arrive at the library.

When you arrive at the library the Necropolitan enters with you, posting his four companions and their slaymate at the door.

"I think it best, if we are to work with you for the sake of obtaining this potentia, that we share some information. Somehow, based on the vision Mento showed us, the items are collected from those statues. But I've seen one of those statues, and no physical blow, arcane torrent nor effort of time seems to affect them. Do you know how one would go about activating them or drawing these items from them?"

I'm sincerely apologize for only putting this together now, I should've caught it earlier. Renia automatically gets saves against illusions, as you said when watching the illusory display of the prophetic vision. Since, this was my mistake, I'm not even going to require you to roll and will give clarification regarding something else.

Sense Motive didn't work on Mento because he was not present. Mento in the last scene was a Major Image that was somehow responding to everything in real time as if it was alive. This is also why he had a Conferi take Sahael's note; he had no physical presence. The clarification is that when you divined whether Mento was being truthful the answer was the information you are getting from him/the him you saw there was honest, it wasn't a direct yes because he was trying to hide the fact he didn't actually come out to meet you, but stayed hidden.

Silver Night
2015-09-12, 10:44 PM
Kasha

"We haven't had a chance to study one or try anything. Was the one you saw the one here?"

Aegis013
2015-09-13, 11:27 AM
"No. It was during our stay on the border with Bellicus. Just before you cross the border, there is an old ruin of a border town. The infrastructure is being used for a military outpost, but oddly, the ruins seem to be from a port city, despite the absence of major bodies of water in the area. The statue contained an inscription, which seemed odd, as everything else was largely destroyed or lost to dilapidation, but the statue seemed like it had just been erected days ago. I wished to take a sample of its material, as such long-lived material could have great industrial uses, but we were not able to affect the statue whatever we tried."

Anticipating the inevitable question about what the inscription said, he relays:

"The inscription read: 'Virtus was a man of great wealth, and defiant of the dragons. The hero of Mare stole many rare and precious things from the dragons. Virtus was to be executed, however Mare took a liking to the man defiant towards the dragons, and stole Virtus from their clutches, replacing him with an effigy. When the dragons discovered this they were infuriated. Mare admitted to a particularly avaricious dragon that he knew the whereabouts of Virtus, and would take the dragon to him. Mare guided the dragon to an ancient ruin and told the dragon there was a price for the service performed: Tyrannus' weakness. The dragon was not amused and as it began to prepare to devour Mare, Mare offered it a wealth of gold and precious gems to sweeten the deal. The dragon, unable to resist its own greed, agreed and told Mare of a cloak which granted the wearer great power called Potentia. The dragon took the treasure and Mare told of Virtus' location. But Mare was crafty and had come prepared: the gold and gems were poisoned and in the dragon's enervated condition, it was no match for Virtus and Mare. They joined together and quested for out across the sea and into a whirlpool. Inside the whirlpool lay the cloak, Potentia. They used its magic and joined with six other heroes and marched upon Tyrannus' lair. Using its magic, they sneaked in and cut out the dragon's heart while he slept. They covered the heart with the Potentia and the dragons vanished from the world."

He pauses for a few seconds before adding his own thoughts on the matter.

"At the time, I thought it was nonsense. The dragons haven't vanished from the world. But after running into another group questing for this potentia cloak, I suspect there may be more to the story than I originally suspected."

whoiam
2015-09-13, 11:43 AM
"Could you show me that location on a map? If we can't come up with anything better, we can teleport out there tomorrow and examine the statue you've already found.

Anyway, *that* is an interesting story. And I think I may understand the answers I received a little better now. I'm guessing the reason why retrieving the Potentia might be dangerous is that if we try to use it, we'd have to uncover Tyrannus' heart - but the reason why it could potentially save us is that if something does end up freeing that heart, the Potentia is our only chance of resealing it. "

Mousedigits
2015-09-13, 01:05 PM
An interesting story, indeed.

As for opening the statues... Maybe they only open i the presence of Potentia, or some other artifact of such power?

General Patton
2015-09-14, 01:33 PM
"I can only hope that the reincarnation hypothesis is accurate and that our presence will evoke a reaction from the statues. But now I'm not so sure. Virtus, Mare, and six others would make one hero per statue. It's starting to sound like The Twelve and The Eight might be separate groups who were involved with the Potentia in different ages. Perhaps, this is not the first time Tyrannus has recovered, and a future generation will need to sort out legends about The Ten in order to stop him again.

As for dragons disappearing, perhaps it was some higher breed with the purest bloodline. Current dragons may be significantly less potent than the originals. It might be worth it to have a dragon expert investigate any discrepencies with ancient accounts that don't match the modern description."

Aegis013
2015-09-14, 04:31 PM
The Necropolitan responds "If you bring me a map, I can point out the location. The need for another artifact of some power did cross my mind, but I am not in possession of such a thing."

The group has arrived at the library, though it doesn't seem the Necropolitan is especially interested in accompanying you once you're inside.

General Patton
2015-09-16, 12:14 AM
"I'm sure one of us can find a decent map.

Just in case standing around outside isn't particularly riveting, I've got some Shapesand. You could shape it into a board game or a puzzle box or something."

"I'm going to start plying my trade so that Ordo will not be quite as upset. If you find any promising historical leads, I can follow up on them. We might want to look into extremely old ruins as potential statue locations."

Sahael pulls up some of his favorite engineering texts and gets his writing materials out. "Ooh, she's released a new volume. Mmm, look at those arches." He starts consulting the texts and cranking out some basic estimates, before picking the best design for a replacement staircase and working out the specifics into a blueprint. He manifests Call to Mind, thrice.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

whoiam
2015-09-16, 01:43 PM
...Well, if Renia had to spend a day in a library, might as well spend it reading.

"I'm off into the legends section. If they've got anything on Tyrannus or the Potentia, it's probably there..."

Aegis013
2015-09-17, 05:48 PM
The Necropolitan responds to Sahael's offer "I suspect you will be safe enough within the boundaries of the library. The library and the church here seem to be on relatively good terms. Kaki will stay nearby and alert us when your business here is concluded. The rest of my team will be handling some other affairs in the meantime."

You begin to search through various tomes and records.

You manage to devise a substantially more structurally sound subterranean chamber, however it would be quite a bit larger.
Looking for something that would fit well within the exact dimensions of the area which collapsed, you find a setup that would be a little more sound, but would limit the available stairwell space for transporting the larger creatures you know were kept in their pens.
Working with the constraint of not diminishing the stairwell space, you find some modifications that could be made to the original design that should increase the structurally stability, but the degree to which it will be improved is limited.

You find the old myths which you studied during your time with the church regarding Tyrranus. He was a dragon so mighty that even the gods trembled before him. At one time, he seized control of the world from the gods. What precisely ended his reign is unclear. Some speculate that he's not real, others say the gods momentarily cast aside their differences and with their combined abilities dethroned Tyrranus. Others say Tyrranus was a dragon, so probably only lived a couple thousand years tops, and then died. Some say he was slain by a hero or a group of heroes, but don't include any useful specifics. It seems this myth has been passed down since before the earliest written records, some authors speculate it originated in the days when the sentient races passed down their history exclusively through oral tradition; before the occurrence of written language. Or perhaps the knowledge was lost during whatever happened that cut off the records almost 1,000 years ago.

Mousedigits
2015-09-18, 11:37 PM
I'm going to look through some books relating to dragons, to see if any mention them disappearing.

Aegis013
2015-09-19, 09:53 AM
Reading through, you do see that there is speculation among some authors that prismatic, chromatic, and other material plane native dragons were once more prevalent, but no one seems to believe they were ever totally gone. You do find some interesting notes that a substantial amount, estimated to be between a quarter and a third, of the known dragon population on the material plane today are extra planar, however.

A little more investigation and you find that these numbers include all dragons, not strictly what are considered the true dragons. True dragons are actually very rare on the prime material, not to mention incredibly dangerous, making them hard to study. There are rough estimates, but you can easily tell how flimsy the "research" is. None of these authors seem to believe the dragons were ever gone, though there is an interesting author who suggests that perhaps due to some kind of massive environmental change a really long time ago, their population has been substantially reduced, but his theory seems to be mostly speculation.

Silver Night
2015-09-20, 02:17 AM
Kasha

Kasha looks for references to the statues, ones they don't know about and any commonality for the locations of the ones they know about. Also, any other items linked to the statues (like something that might act as a key). If there is time she also searches for references to Mare and Virtus.

Also, not sure if rolls help in the library, but just based on her own knowledge (Edit: Meant to put here, if not for use in the library, then she would have thought about this when the Necro mentioned the statues and the inscription):

Knowledge (History) [roll0] (Divine Insight)
Knowledge (Royalty and Nobility) [roll1]
Knowledge (Geography) [roll2]

Aegis013
2015-09-20, 12:36 PM
You know from the vision there are a number of statues, though it's not certain whether the vision included all of them or how accurate it may have been. It takes quite some searching, but you find references to a few statues, and some references to indestructible material. In total, you find seven of these references. One to the statue you're aware of in this city. One about an indestructible rock hidden in the sewers of the capitol. One on the border with Bellicus, likely the one the Necropolitan spoke of. One in a crater to the northwest, in the foothills. One to the southwest, in the dense forests. One to the south, in the major pass through the mountains. One to the southeast, inside a mountain hollowed out by dwarves long past.

In your search you come across another interesting finding. In the eastern desert, there is a mountain of fire separate and alone from the southern mountain range. Apparently, one adventurer wrote of a guarded entrance to that mountain, protected by living armor. When the armor attacked him, he fled. The description of the living armor suggests it had been there without upkeep for an incredibly long time. Who knows what other treasures that location might hold?

After hours of research, one of the Conferi come gliding gracefully into the library, she travels to your group and whispers a message from Mento. "Mento has spoken with Mr. Ordo, and the bounty levied against your group will dropped, and you will be allowed to visit the statue under a condition. You must participate in a fight with Mr. Ordo's most powerful monster, so that he can recoup his monetary losses by making a spectacle of the event. Should you agree, the coliseum will be ready for you in the morning. Mento has negotiated you to be allowed to utilize your own magical items, instead of being required to use the provided equipment."

Mousedigits
2015-09-20, 03:04 PM
"What do you guys think? We already know, from experience, that he has access to some pretty mean monsters. Those Aboleths are a prime example of that. However, we don't have much of a choice here, do we?"

Supposing the others tell the messenger that we will fight, Trasil says "Hold up guys, I've got some research to do." He goes over to whoever appears to be in charge. "Hey, do you guys have any records of fights in the coliseum, since its founding?

whoiam
2015-09-20, 03:44 PM
"I suppose it's too much to ask for to schedule this bout for 20 days from now?"

"Well, I can always dream...

Personally, I think we should agree on condition he pays for the resurrections if any of us are killed during the fight. We cannot risk trying to save the world short-handed, after all, and we're rapidly running out of spell component money. What do the rest of you think?"

Silver Night
2015-09-20, 08:59 PM
Kasha

Having shared the info she learned with the others, Kasha adds, As far as I can tell, we have little choice but to agree to Ordo's offer. It is a single monster, though no doubt it will be difficult. Perhaps there is someone we can bribe or some place we can go to find out what it is and so be better prepared? At a minimum we should try and view or scry what preparations are made in the arena. I would be awkward to show up and find out we are fighting a Red Dragon in a sea of flames, or indeed an Aboleth under water.

General Patton
2015-09-20, 10:45 PM
"As long as its mind is touchable, we should be fine. If it's undead, vermin, ooze, or a pure construct, then it might be a challenge. Whatever it is, there are limits on what could realistically be captured and contained with his resources."

Sahael takes a moment to Autohypnotically memorize his work, and then offers it to the Conferi.

"Could you deliver this to Mr. Ordo? I must say, whoever he hired to build the original was very skilled. Not perfect though.

I suppose we don't have much choice but to fight this thing. As one of the few people capable of fending off the apocalypse, I think it would be remiss of him to not provide resurrection insurance. Speaking of death in the coliseum, if he hasn't already implemented a betting pool for whether someone dies, well, I'm sure it would be profitable."

Aegis013
2015-09-21, 05:51 PM
The Conferi looks very surprised at the counter condition and states "I can pass the message to Mento."

Silver Night
2015-09-22, 02:59 AM
Kasha

We should probably decide if we will proceed if the resurrection request is denied. And given how expensive they are, and how much Ordo is a fan of our group, I think that's a strong possibility.

General Patton
2015-09-22, 10:03 AM
"Actually, the rust dragon hatchling made Mr. Ordo sound formidable, and we both probably have some aggression to work out. Seeing as we have unlimited healing, how about a bet? He can make a spectacle of a one on one nonlethal duel before the main event. If I win, he provides resurrection insurance. He wins, then we fight his monster at our own peril. Who wouldn't pay for the opportunity to see that? Even those who dislike the coliseum would partake."

Aegis013
2015-09-22, 05:33 PM
The look on the Conferi's face changes from surprise to consternation. She replies, hesitantly "I can pass the message to Mento."

whoiam
2015-09-22, 05:59 PM
"Ignore Sahael, he's an idiot. Just pass along the message about us doing the fight on condition we don't have to pay for our own resurrections if the monster kills some of us, and we'll be fine."

"Just because a dragon thinks we'd probably die if we attacked someone doesn't mean that said person is a gladiator just itching for a chance to step into the arena against us. Besides which, if he wanted to go into the arena against one of us, that's what he would have asked to do.

The thing is that dragons are smart enough to know that personal strength isn't the only kind of power. For all you know, that wyrmling was just impressed by the strength of his guards and the variety and number of traps lining the route we would have taken.

Now would you please try thinking before you next speak? Ideas are not good simply because you had them. And jumping off on random tangents is not, as a rule, a great way to achieve a set objective when you've got a hard deadline. Especially in negotiations."

From the tone of her thoughts, Renia appears to think that they've had variations of this conversation once too often...

General Patton
2015-09-23, 01:06 AM
Sahael sighs in self-loathing. "Oh, right, the dragon was obviously referring to his guards and not his own prowess. Yeah, just ignore my foolish rambling.

All he needs is someone capable of casting Revenance, Revivify, and Blood Money. No material components needed."

Aegis013
2015-09-23, 05:58 PM
The Conferi, seeming to believe that both voices saying similar things constitutes confirmation, replies "I will pass the message the Mento." She hesitates just another moment in case there's anything else to add before exiting the library.

whoiam
2015-09-23, 06:21 PM
Once the Conferi has left to partake in her errand, Renia turns back to Sahael, and taps her colleague on the shoulder.

"Don't take it too badly. Most of my ideas are pretty poor too. I just have a mental vetting process that keeps thoughts like, say, 'The punishment for theft should involve having everything in your wardrobe transmuted into a set of bright pink cassocks' inside my head, where they belong. Just try and put a little pause between thought and action in future, hm? Give yourself a chance to spot the flaws in each idea before your mouth gets moving..."

General Patton
2015-09-25, 01:30 AM
"Pink... cassocks?" Sahael mirthfully laughs. "That is truly nightmarish. I have much to learn about horror."

General Patton
2015-09-25, 04:36 PM
Sahael's tone becomes inquisitive as he puzzles something out. "Wait, horror. Or rather, terror, as well as deception, power, skill, calculation, and studiousness. Searching directly for details about the Pact of 12 Jade Souls yields almost nothing. But each of its members embodied some concept, strongly enough to leave a mark on our souls and be conveyed by the prophecy. If we look for legendary figures dating back far enough, on the basis of their defining features, then we might find something."

He starts looking for anything about legendary beings that were especially terrifying or fearsome, dating back to about 1000+ years ago. He manifests Call to Mind 3 times.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Edit: Forgot the +10 bonus from the library. Yay 59!

Aegis013
2015-09-25, 06:23 PM
As you reach a pivotal point in this new research approach, you notice the Necropolitan and his goons, including the two sparrows, enter the library. They push past the librarians who attempt to prevent them from bringing animals onto the premise, and with a single hand gesture from their leader, the team begins to hustle toward tactical positions. It takes only a moment to realize they are hurriedly moving into position to surround your group.

Looking for particularly fearsome or legendary characters, you ran into some authors concept of a soul sucking monster. She claimed that her soul was devoured by it in a long forgotten past, but she was somehow freed from its clutches to be reborn. She was able to remember her past lives through a unique brand of mysticism, which she doesn't refer to in much detail.

whoiam
2015-09-25, 06:31 PM
Renia responds to their sudden re-appearance by retreating towards her colleagues.

"Close up. It's not worth fighting them. If they try anything, I'm going straight for my teleport."

"Well, you look ominous. Changed your minds about working together already?"

Readied action: Teleport to Mr Ordo's home. Renia should be able to accurately target the front gate, even if she's never actually been inside...

Aegis013
2015-09-25, 07:08 PM
The Necropolitan glances around, as if he's actually expecting danger from elsewhere. As the group closes in for the teleport in the event of combat, you notice that the focus of the others in his group is away from you.

He smirks his crooked grin at the accusatory tone.

"I will admit I did consider it, but no. Even though I suspect I could talk Mr. Ordo into paying a somewhat larger sum than your bounties, this Potentia relic is likely even more valuable. It seems Mr. Ordo overheard that Conferi's message to Mento and flew off the handle. My viewing method was dispelled by one of Ordo's guards at that point and my best guess is he has captured and will execute Mento for turning against him by even parleying with you. It's clear Mr. Ordo considers you his enemies. We need to leave the city or make one final shot at this statue before things get really hairy."

whoiam
2015-09-26, 06:31 PM
"If there's still enough world left to retire in two weeks from now, I'm sure the discussion about how we'll split the haul of ancient relics will be a thrilling one. In the mean time, gather ye round."

Renia gestures for him to join their little emergency huddle. She's quickly going over her prepared spells as she waits for him to move over, eventually settling on Invisibility Sphere as the best way to sneak the enlarged group around together.

"I say we go after Mr Ordo. We don't have the time to run and lick our wounds again. We'll try and force a direct parley with him, but if he won't bite - or won't listen - we kill him and try to reason with his successor. Not my preferred solution, but we're seriously on the clock here and the two days we've wasted trying to work around him is already far too long."

Mousedigits
2015-09-26, 06:57 PM
I can scout ahead, if you guys want. I've got an Invisibility and a Fly ready, so I can fly off and give you guys directions. Heck, you could even Chain of Eyes me.

General Patton
2015-09-26, 08:57 PM
Sahael's shell quickly reforms. "So much for my pretty face. Alright, stow that banner, it will only get in the way."

He uses his Wand of Sending to contact Mento. "Need status and location. Assuming rescue needed. Can exfiltrate you through soft earth or small gaps or with line of sight. Kasha can be incorporeal."

"Please join my telepathic collective so that we can forgo speech. It will also let my abilities include or exclude you as appropriate." He invites them.

Silver Night
2015-09-26, 11:08 PM
Kasha

"Renia, I didn't expect you to be the one to go for the throat first - before mention of a rescue and with only a nod to discourse. I appreciate it, but my only thought is whether our new-found comrades will be willing to join for something that isn't just running away. Or if it might even tip the scales toward claiming the reward for our heads instead."

whoiam
2015-09-27, 03:33 AM
"They have the numbers to swarm us under, given our location and sufficient time to concentrate or prepare. It's a toss-up as to which will be the most dangerous target to go after - Ordo or Mento, they've got to assume one of our groups will attempt a rescue - but going after Mento won't get their troops called off, while going after Ordo might.

Aegis013
2015-09-28, 05:47 PM
Mento responds "I am bound, gagged, and blindfolded. Unsure of location, but presently in transit to somewhere."

With a single hand gesture from their leader, the Necropolitan's group tightens their formation around your group with practiced finesse. Only the Necropolitan joins the collective.

"Don't take it personally, but until we have a certain level of trust, I'm not going to put the minds of my compatriots at risk. This will have to do for now. Considering the urgency of successfully collecting the relics, I believe the best course of action is to abandon Mento and take this opportunity while Ordo deals with him to make an attempt on the statue. Hopefully with the damage you have done to his subterranean structure and his current preoccupation with Mento, we can slip in, try to figure out how the statue works and be gone before Ordo can deploy any defenses."

General Patton
2015-09-29, 12:08 PM
"There is no one who could stop us, not even the Clawed Boogeyman. Allies who believe the prophecy are in short supply, so we mustn't lose Mento. The traitorous wretch will pay dearly for his irrational temper, and then no one will be able or willing to deploy defenses. How close is the Ordo estate to the Coliseum? Hopefully it's less than 1600 ft.

Renia, can you cast Locate Creature?"

Sahael fires off another Sending. "Need you to dismiss divination defenses. Possible locations other than coliseum or Ordo estate? Last known location? Air feels/smells like outside, indoors, or underground?"

whoiam
2015-09-30, 03:21 PM
"My vote's to tackle Ordo directly and go back for Mento afterwards. Convincing Ordo or his heirs to call off the hunt for us and our allies means we get to spend the rest of our available time concentrating on saving the world, not worrying about bounty hunters and town guards.

I don't think going straight for the statue will be all that safe. If Ordo had spies enough to overhear the Conferi reporting in, he may well have heard Mento or our side of that 'meeting' earlier, and will know what it is we'll be looking for. Which means that defences were probably put in place while we were doing research.

And yes, I can cast Locate Creature."

Aegis013
2015-09-30, 05:06 PM
The Necropolitan mentally responds to Renia "You misunderstand. Mento was parleying directly with Mr. Ordo to negotiate the terms of dropping your bounties. The Conferi entered the room and whispered the message to Mento, however, it seems not quietly enough. Ordo heard nature of the message with his own ear. That is when the trouble began."

whoiam
2015-09-30, 05:18 PM
"You're right, I did misunderstand. Alright, that makes 'just go for the statue' more practical, but it's still only my second-favourite behind 'take out the person going after us and our allies'. There's still a week - and several additional statues, I think - to go. We shouldn't be so quick to throw away allies to reach this one when we may need them at the next."

Aegis013
2015-09-30, 07:21 PM
Mento's response returns "I think I'm inside of a box, but unsure. I smell pine wood. Possibly the box. Last location, Ordo estate. Defenses were already dispelled."

The Necropolitan adds to the mental conversation. "The Ordo's influence only exists in this city, to my understanding, that is because Ordo is in cahoots with the corrupt Duke in control of this area. I doubt we have to fear their influence outside of this city, especially if what you claim is true that not even the clawed boogeyman could stop you."

General Patton
2015-09-30, 11:27 PM
"Cahoots? Crap. Should not have provided the exclusive intel to gain favor. The Convectus twins may have a harder time cleaning this place up.

Mento's divination defenses are down, he was last at the Ordo estate, and is bound, gagged, and blindfolded in a box, possibly pine wood, in transit somewhere. Cast the divination, and then we need to get moving. How close are we to the estate?"

Sahael Reconfigures himself. His tentacles meld back into his form, his wings are further refined, and his shell gains scorpion-shaped splotches of pigment that slowly crawl across him.
+20 ft Flight Speed and Frightful Presence
He activates Fear Made Flesh.

Aegis013
2015-10-02, 05:43 PM
The Necropolitan responds to Sahael's question "We're not terribly far from the the Ordo estate, however, since he's the type to do his research, he's likely moving Mento in a manner that will be difficult for either of our teams to precisely track."

General Patton
2015-10-02, 08:32 PM
"Your choice Renia. Locate Creature on Mento, or Locate Object on a lead-lined pinewood box bigger than a man."

whoiam
2015-10-06, 02:37 PM
"No point in going for the box, you have to know it well to pick it out from any others nearby. If I searched for 'pine box', I'd probably just point you to the nearest carpenter.

Still think we're going the wrong way, " Renia notes, as she dips a finger into her spell component pouch for the required pinch of bloodhound fur, and begins the slow spin characteristic of the spell.

Renia sacrificed a prepared Enervation to spontaneously cast Locate Creature.

Aegis013
2015-10-07, 03:00 AM
Unfortunately, the spell seems to fail, providing no direction toward Mento.

The Necropolitan's smirk vanishes and he appears unamused.

"As I said, Ordo does his research. It will likely be difficult for either of our groups to successfully track Mento."

whoiam
2015-10-08, 05:44 PM
"Then we won't. Alright, Ordo does his homework and knows that turning on Mento now means one or both of our parties coming after him. That means he and Mento are probably both somewhere well-protected against small, skilled teams trying to get to them quietly. Which means trying to grab one of them before Ordo can prepare his defences is just wasted effort.

So, tactics he won't have expected from us. There's collateral damage. We've been pretty strict about that so far, avoiding wherever possible fights that might endanger innocents nearby. We could change that policy. There's enough flyers in our two teams that we could definitely get his attention with little more than a stack of Tree Feather Tokens and careful aim. Magical wards on a building aren't worth much when the magic happens hundreds of meters above the roof, and a high-speed tree trunk will win against a manor ceiling any day. But I'm still not entirely sold on the 'slaughter the household' plan, even if it is currently my plan 'C'.

Plan B involves getting an army. I don't think we've got time to go back to the king and ask for royal troops - by the time they got here, it'd be too late to matter - but there's plenty more armed people in this city. The guard and the conferi are, I think, the biggest and the strongest of those groups. Potential Otyugh Hole competitors would be number three, but the drawback there is they're less a group and more a heavily armed mob-to-be. The Conferi are on our side already, right? So we just need to get our hands on one or two of the other sets. The Guard would look like the best bet - we only need a chance to speak to their officers, and I'm sure if we gathered enough Conferi we could make it to a guardhouse easily enough, even if we just walked there.

Which leads back into Plan A, arranging a meeting with the Ordos to sort out this misunderstanding - and get Mento released. I don't think it's practical right now, but the city guard should be able to arrange such a meeting, either directly or via the Duke. If we can get them to understand just how little their monetary losses will matter if the world gets destroyed next week, we should be able to get them to back down..."

General Patton
2015-10-11, 02:02 PM
"How about we go to the Ordo estate, one of us turns invisible and takes a Tree Feather Token above the manor. We demand that whatever servants or guards are there arrange a meeting or else we level the structure."

whoiam
2015-10-11, 03:33 PM
"...Because, irritating as the Ordo are to all of us, talking someone into giving up a foolish grudge is easier when you haven't just threatened to kill their family. That's why dropping trees on them was both the first option I thought of and the last one I'd agree to try."

General Patton
2015-10-11, 03:47 PM
"Ok, we don't mention our ace in the hole unless all other methods of persuasion fail to get us a messenger."

Aegis013
2015-10-12, 02:01 AM
The Necropolitan's group exchange glances while the telepathic communion proceeds. The Necropolitan makes a hand gesture towards his companions and they return their focus to the surroundings, ever wary of potential danger.

The Necropolitan adds "It may be difficult to get the town guard to mobilize for us, I personally haven't dealt with Rory, and based on the conversation here, I'd surmise you haven't either, but they wouldn't mobilize en masse without her ordering it. Going directly to the Duke's manor is an option, but I don't expect him to be especially cooperative."

whoiam
2015-10-12, 08:17 PM
[roll0]

Flashing a very bright smile at the necropolitan, Renia sent over the rather confident thought "I'm a half-angel priest with bard training. I could mobilize boulders if I had to..."

The check's to convince the necropolitan that Renia has the charisma to pull such a thing off.

Aegis013
2015-10-13, 02:34 AM
The Necropolitan gives a telepathic response, his crooked grin showing just a glimmer of his jagged teeth. "I don't doubt your capabilities, I am merely trying to advise of possible obstacles you might have to overcome. In the end, based on the vision Mento shared with us, this is your quest, after all."

whoiam
2015-10-15, 04:44 PM
"Going up a chain of command typically isn't difficult - at worst, it might be time consuming. Still, if I can get my hands on any one of their officers, I should find myself speaking to Rory soon enough.

Anything else anyone fancies adding? Or can we grab some Conferi and get moving?"

General Patton
2015-10-17, 12:12 AM
"Can we really afford to waste time going up the chain of command? I'm still not convinced the Barghest is actually dead. If we dawdle and Mento truly ceases to be..." The unfinished thought is punctuated by a sharp crunching noise as Sahael violently seizes up, head instantly twisting into an unnatural position as his claws uncontrollably clench. Just as quickly, he twitches back to a sane posture, his madness subdued for the moment. "Enough planning. We pick a path, start down it, and change paths as opportunity presents itself."

He lets off another Sending to Mento. "Story of Barghest's death is suspect. Does it still live? Where? If we need to guess your location, we'll bet on eliminating the worst outcome."
He strides towards the door, with all the righteous conviction of a paladin and the moral compunctions of a demon.

Aegis013
2015-10-17, 11:57 AM
Mento responds "Unsure of Barghest's continued life or location."

The Necropolitan makes a gesture towards his group, and they immediately begin following.

Silver Night
2015-10-17, 08:49 PM
Kasha

Kasha follows along.

Aegis013
2015-10-20, 02:26 AM
The group begins heading the town guard headquarters, you manage to notice a pair of Conferi who apparently don't know what's going on quite yet, but after briefly explaining the situation and being corroborated by the Necropolitan, they agree to cooperate with you. Those two manage to call two more over by the time you reach the town guard headquarters.

The guards hanging out near the headquarters are a bit surprised by your rather large group's arrival, but seem to have no problem letting you go directly to Rory.

Inside the structure, it seems there are a number of cells designed to detain criminals, but based on the citizenry and their pleas for any coin to help them get out of their situation, you guess it's more likely they're busy imprisoning debtors.

You're escorted by a handful of town guards up to the second floor of the structure and into a large office. The room is highly decorated with fabrics and baubles of various sorts, and sitting behind a large solidly crafted oaken desk sits a female tiefling. Her glossy black hair is smoothed back over her head, revealing her twin horns. She has large almond shaped eyes and smooth red skin. She looks up from a stack of papers she was busily scribbling away on and takes stock of your rather large group.

"So you're the group that's been making all the ruckus in town. My eyes and ears have kept me appraised of your current situation, so let's not dawdle. What do you want from me and why should I provide it?"

whoiam
2015-10-20, 01:14 PM
Sadly, Renia had to mentally discard the speech she'd been preparing on the walk over. Instead, she went straight, as requested, to the point.

"We want an end to the altercations between ourselves and the family Ordo. Or at the very least, a peaceful meeting where we can agree a truce. Ideally without risking any of our deaths, the loss of any of our (few) allies, further damage to Mr Ordo's employees, or disruption to the functioning of the city. You should provide it because if you do not, we'll have to force some measure of confrontation and risk all four. As to why we'd have to do that... because this world will die in 10 days if we do not."

If Rory looks sceptical (or asks for the explanation of why they think that), Renia will fill in the details of Mento's vision, and the answers they'd gotten at the meeting with Mento's projection. She will also point out that recovering Mento (who, despite his misjudgement of the vision, was still one of their most powerful allies) and getting to the first statue both involve going past (or through) the Ordo family.

And then she waits to see Rory's response...

Not sure if a Diplomacy check is applicable here or not, but just in case...
[roll0]

Aegis013
2015-10-21, 01:27 PM
Rory doesn't give you any kind of skeptical look, rather she has a strange look which conveys a combination of boredom and disappointment. She replies:

"Providing a peaceful meeting or an end to the altercations between you and my greatest rival in this city after what you've done is simply outside of my power. Making such a request on your behalf will simply degrade our already shaky relationship, and even if I win that confrontation in the end, my influence would be left sufficiently weakened that I'd be sure to be overthrown.

As far as the world ending, I've heard it before, and I know Ordo has heard it before too. I'm not interested in doomsday prophesies, the world is still going to be here in 10 days, no matter what any crackpot diviner says.

However, what I can do for you, Renia, is either have my forces stand down, give you Ordo's location, and let you use that information as you see fit as long as my involvement isn't made public. Or, knowing the amount of damage you caused Ordo already, if you'd be willing to wipe him out entirely, I would add my power to yours for that purpose, and you would move under my banner to destroy Ordo and his family. My soldiers would keep Ordo's servants at bay and hold off any monsters that are released while you kill every last one of the Ordo family."

She doesn't seem all that interested as she begins to continue handling the paperwork still piled on her finely crafted desk while awaiting your response.

Silver Night
2015-10-21, 04:46 PM
Kasha

I like option 2, personally. No need to leave potential enemies behind you.

General Patton
2015-10-22, 01:35 AM
"We do not kill the innocent. We will not make such an agreement without strong evidence of the entire family's evil. Cirka Ordo is still innocent as far as I can tell."

"Crackpot? His vision contained several details that matched up with the most obscure millenium-old history. And Pelor directly confirmed via Communion that the vision is accurate, albeit misinterpreted until now."

Sense Motive [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Concentrating on Empathy

Silver Night
2015-10-22, 02:49 AM
Kasha

End of the world. You might need to reconsider your priorities. The Might-Be-Innocent vs everyone in the world. Still, I'm happy to kill fewer people if the plan is realistic.

whoiam
2015-10-22, 07:50 AM
"Compromise? We take the troops on condition that they accept surrenders, and we offer Ordo the chance of negotiating instead of being attacked? He may not take it, but then again, he might. And if we're to retrieve the Potentia soon enough to make a difference, we've little time to waste."

Aegis013
2015-10-22, 09:26 PM
You can tell she doesn't think you'll like her offer, and she seems bored because she doesn't expect you'll provide anything she actually wants either way. Nothing seems amiss in the room, there are four guards in the room who are rather on edge. Likely they're all aware that one of their own was brutally murdered in an alleyway recently.

She briefly looks at Sahael, but says nothing. Her expression changes, but the change is extremely subtle. It's a shift from boredom to "Did he seriously just say that?" you get the feeling her opinion of Sahael's intelligence is quite poor.

She then turns back towards her paperwork as she replies to Renia, her quill scribbling quickly across various parchments with practiced ease.

"The troops are entirely conditional in that you remove an obstacle from my path, permanently. That means death to all the Ordo family, none of them can be left alive to revive the others or reclaim their reputation and influence. It only weakens my position if that isn't the outcome, and I sincerely hate using my resources to move myself further from my goals. I can compromise that the servants won't be killed in the event they surrender, but not the Ordo family. The Ordo family has to come out dead, otherwise no troops."

whoiam
2015-10-24, 04:49 PM
"Once in my life I would love to encounter someone - anyone - in a position of political or legal power who had gotten to that point with their sense of morality intact. Throwing away so many lives over a power struggle - she's a disgrace to guards everywhere..."

[roll0]

"You know, I only recently heard about this prophecy myself. And I didn't believe it at first, either. But I at least had an open enough mind to check before dismissing it out of hand. The truth of it is, you're an important person. Important enough to get access to magic when you need it. So why don't you? I confirmed the danger via a communion with the upper planes. Probably one of Pelor's Angels rather than Pelor Himself - I'm not so important I can command a deity's personal attention at whim - but the result was still the same. To the best of the upper planes' knowledge, this world is doomed if we cannot find and defeat the danger in the next ten days.

Now, you don't believe me. From my point of view, that's a touch stupid - Church Inquisitors are notoriously hard to either trick or control, and if you looked me up when I became a wanted woman (as you probably should have done), you'd know just how unlikely it is that I would have come here to tell you anything I wasn't satisfied was true. But scepticism is, on occasion, warranted, so I can accept that you won't just take me at my word. But the least you could do is check. After all, I'm one of the city's best experts on magic and the prophecy convinced me. If you want a second opinion, from someone you personally trust more? Then fine, go fetch someone that can verify our story. Ideally, quickly. But don't just dismiss us out of hand and sit there trying to play politics when there's still a chance your ambition could end up killing this world..."

Aegis013
2015-10-26, 01:59 AM
Rory's mouth tilts in an odd way at your reprimand, as if she's considering your words carefully, her attention removed from the paperwork on her desk. Her brow furrows ever so slightly and she takes a moment to formulate her response.

"I understand your position, but it seems you don't understand mine. You're right, I did look into what information was available about all of you when Ordo posted those bounties. I'm aware of your skill, and that you believe Mento's prophecy does lend it a degree of credence, however, I've also looked into Mento. He has a long history of charlatanry, he's a liar and a trickster and he succeeds at this surprisingly often, thus it was easy to dismiss his prophecy as another lie. However, since you yourself say one of Pelor's servants has confirmed, it may well be true. Sadly, that doesn't do much to change my position."

Rory motions to the town guards and then to the Conferi.
"Please leave the room and escort Mento's goons out of the room as well, give them something to eat and drink and have them wait downstairs."

Once the guards get the rather reluctant Conferi out of the room Rory continues.

"Since you do seem to believe in this plight fully, and from everything I've learned about you, Renia, you seem to a woman of honor, I'm letting you and your companions know this in confidence. If I make an open move against Ordo, and fail to advance my position here, I very likely won't make it to see your doomsday ten days from now, and with that in mind, it's of no interest to me if the world proceeds if I wouldn't be a part of it. I'm simply not that selfless. Regarding utilizing such divination, I have neither the authority, nor the audacity to call in such a favor of my superiors to have them confirm this. I will report it to them, but if it's as drastic as you say, I suspect they're well aware and already working on contingency measures."

She puts a finger to her forehead, thinking another moment.

"If you wish not to have Ordo's blood on your hands, then I can conditionally offer troops, only if you agree to turn the entire Ordo family over to me should they surrender, and to kill them if they won't surrender."

Her face relaxes as she folds her hands over each other on the desk to await your response.

whoiam
2015-10-26, 08:59 AM
"Psionics, it would seem, lend themselves just as easily to abuse as magic does.

Anyway, I think that's a reasonable condition. Anyone who surrenders goes into captivity. If we survive long enough, we can try negotiating something a little longer-term with the survivors once the world's out of danger.

For the record, it's not that I don't want to see Ordo dead - he's certainly done little enough to convince me he deserves to be spared - but a combination of wanting to spare the more junior members of the family who aren't as much of a threat (and probably aren't guilty of nearly as many sins), and needing to keep enough of his people alive to get to a particular statue under his control without having to brute-force our way through its protection. He seems particularly fond of magical traps."

At that point, she turns to the rest of the party. "Do the rest of you agree?"

Silver Night
2015-10-26, 09:39 AM
Kasha

"Sounds good to me. Assuming it is only the members of the family present we are obligated to capture. I don't think we have time to hunt down any that may be out of town."

Aegis013
2015-10-26, 12:53 PM
Rory adds: "My guardsmen should be able to capture Cirka if she is not with her father."

General Patton
2015-10-26, 09:19 PM
"Am I the only one who sees us being shoehorned into doing her dirty work? The two outcomes she will permit do not include the Ordos staying free after we talk it out. They will not go willingly into her custody, not with their history. Even if they did, we may not have their blood directly on our hands, only because, I expect, she'll do the dirty deed herself.

On the off-chance you think we should apply force, after getting the location from her, just give the word."

Sense Motive [roll0] Is she intending to dispose of the surrendered Ordos?

Did the other group stow that obnoxious anti-fear banner as I requested?

Mousedigits
2015-10-26, 09:42 PM
Honestly, it does kinda feel like that, but the help would be very nice. However, I don't like the idea of being the reason a possibly innocent person, be it Cirka or another Ordo, is imprisoned and/or killed.

Silver Night
2015-10-27, 01:10 AM
Kasha

No, she is doing our dirty work. We are the ones that needed the help, and if she wants to make sure that the result is beneficial to her as well as to us, that seems only fair. Anyway, it doesn't seem worth risking the world because maybe the prisoners will be mistreated, and I expect that all the Ordos are at a minimum complicit in the crimes the family is involved in.

Aegis013
2015-10-27, 02:24 AM
The other team did stow the banner, the Elf provided their slaymate a rattle to play with in the mean time.

She isn't trying to hide that the Ordo family will end up dead. She plans to kill them after they are turned over to her.

Silver Night
2015-10-27, 02:36 AM
Kasha

Given Rory's inconvenient lack of effort in disguising her sinister agenda for the Ordos, Kasha continues, Regardless, we can always throw a wrench in the execute-all-the-Ordos plan later, but we need to neutralize Ordo and recover Mento now.

General Patton
2015-10-27, 09:47 AM
"Fine. If we must become monsters to save the world, then so be it."

Silver Night
2015-10-27, 11:44 AM
Kasha

That's the spirit!

Aegis013
2015-10-28, 01:58 AM
For the first time during this exchange, a smile emerges on Rory's face.

"We're in agreement then. I will provide Mento's location, and you will kill or capture both Cirka Ordo and her father. If they are captured, you will deliver them to me. Since I know you are a woman of your word, Renia, I'll give you this information in good faith, and I would strongly advise you not betray my trust in this matter.

Ordo has moved Mento to his most readily fortified location; the coliseum grounds. It's possible he's tormenting Mento to get information about you, but the last one of my eyes reported, Ordo simply had Mento in a box on the coliseum grounds with his personal guard. I've not received any indication they've moved from the location."

She turns her attention away briefly and calls out:

"Tribinus!" one of her guards wearing markings of his high rank enters the room and quickly snaps to attention, responding "Yes, ma'am?"
"Round up the guard, divide them into teams, one to the Ordo Manner, one to the remains of the wreckage of Ordo's subterranean structure, one to the Ordo's safehouse, and if these adventurers wish to be accompanied, designate a team to go with them as well. Round up all of Ordo's servants, capture them alive, if possible do not harm them, we just want to keep them out of the way."

Tribinus turns toward your team briefly, quickly eyeing you over, his expert gaze noting the posture of each of individual and the plethora of powerful equipment. "If you wish to be accompanied I will assign a team, though I suspect they may merely get in your way."

The Necropolitan chimes in telepathically "It wouldn't hurt to have some fodder for Ordo's monstrous pets to chew on while we handle him and his personal guard."

Silver Night
2015-10-28, 02:29 AM
Kasha

I agree. I'm sure they will be quite helpful.

whoiam
2015-10-28, 08:35 PM
"You don't trust her in this, do you?" Renia hadn't succeeded on - or even attempted - a Sense Motive check vs Rory. But then, she'd known before the meeting started that if the Ordo Family's death was necessary to get the troops they needed in a timely fashion, then that's exactly what she'd agree to. Of course, she'd still try to avoid it, but it's important to know going in just how far you're willing to stoop...

"...You're probably right, but the price for getting troops off the Duke is likely even worse - as would be the loss of life if we just cut loose in the middle of the city. Still, if it makes you feel any better, if we lose she'll be better off dead, and if we win, we ought to be able to afford enough diamonds to use a scroll of True Resurrection on her..."

At this rate, Renia was going to spend a century after the world was saved paying back the debts and obligations she'd amassed while saving it...

General Patton
2015-10-29, 10:47 AM
"I don't know, which is unfortunately the way it needs to be. I can't reconcile my thoughts with this situation, so the only way to take decisive action is to stop thinking and remain undecided. I can only hope that fate will provide an opportunity to avoid the dilemma, or an excuse to justify whatever course of action I take in the heat of the moment. I'm not fond of direct duplicity, so this is the best I can manage. Can't lie about my intentions if I don't know them."

Bluff [roll0] to conceal that Sahael is a wild card who might do anything. Yay, +10 from Conceal Thoughts.
Sense Motive [roll1] to know if Rory realizes he's a wild card.

Sahael is setting himself up to potentially blindly back himself into a corner where the only course of action is Heroic Safe Mode (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroicSafeMode) or Heroic BSOD (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroicBSOD).

Aegis013
2015-10-29, 11:46 AM
Rory either hasn't noticed or doesn't care. It's pretty apparent that in her eyes, Renia is the leader of your particular group.

Silver Night
2015-10-30, 04:53 PM
Kasha

"Any other intelligence you'd like to share about Ordo? Since we find ourselves with common cause? If not, I expect we should get going. There is a time element to this."

Aegis013
2015-10-31, 02:08 AM
"I've informed you of all the pertinent information of which I am aware. I won't know anything else unless my eyes in the field report back to me." She responds, once again busying herself with paperwork.

General Patton
2015-11-02, 04:33 PM
"Actually, Tribinus, I think we could use some extra men with us. There will be plenty of opportunities for them to finish off incapacitated foes that we're too busy to get to. However, they will need to accept a telepathic bond, or else some of my powers will hinder them as well as the enemy.

Will your group be resistant to telekinetic turbulence, as they were yesterday?"

Aegis013
2015-11-03, 03:39 AM
Tribinus responds "I have a team ready to accompany you just downstairs. I'll appraise them of their new orders and get the other teams ready."

The Necropolitan mentally replies "Your telekinetic disturbance made it difficult for us to move quickly, but we are an effective fighting force as long as we can move sufficiently for spellcasting."

Tribinus heads downstairs just ahead of you. As you come to the lower room you hear Tribinus bark orders to some of the other guard. Looks like a unit of twelve town guards are being assigned to accompany you.

You head quickly towards the Coliseum, the town guard marching with you on your approach. The civilians quickly move out of your way but look on with concern at the militaristic movements before them. It's not long before you reach the Coliseum; it seems the main entrance isn't barred.

At this point the Necropolitan makes a gesture to his group, and mentally states "Now is the time to prepare for battle. Do we take a moment to empower ourselves with magic, or charge in to hopefully take Ordo by surprise?"

General Patton
2015-11-03, 01:52 PM
"Cast whatever you want, this might take a moment.

Might someone be able to invisibly fly up to survey the grounds? Kasha, if the box is resting on the ground, would you be willing to infiltrate it from below?"

"I can only accommodate seven of you. The rest will need to keep in mind that it may suddenly become hard to move in a 15 foot radius area near me."

Sahael invites 7 of the guards into the collective. He uses the Wand of Sending again. "Describe dimensions of box in inches. Do hollow sounds or wood bending indicate collapsible cavity trap? Were perceived motions consistent with transport to coliseum grounds?"

whoiam
2015-11-03, 07:41 PM
Renia selects the leader of the Guard unit (I'm assuming they've a sergeant or something that would normally be in charge... If not, she'll just pick the tallest), and touches them on the forehead for a couple of seconds as she casts Magic Circle against Evil on them. She then follows it up with her prepared Shield of Faith (Mass), which is targeted at the other 11.

"A little bit of Pelor's power to protect you. You're not invincible, but you'll find it's a little harder than usual for an enemy to hit you."

(Deflection bonuses to everybody!)

"I'll go up top. I've got a couple of Invisibility Spheres ready... and my wings are getting itchy under this cloak anyway."

She'll take a few steps back from the group to begin casting her Invisibility Sphere. She'll let any of the other flyers in on that action if they're quick enough to volunteer to fly with her, otherwise she'll start to head up onto spy station by herself.

Mousedigits
2015-11-03, 09:57 PM
Trasil casts Shield and Fly on himself. In addition he casts an Intensified Empowered Shocking Grasp into his sword (using the Magus Spellstrike ability, holding the charge.)
He does not, however, follow Renia.

Fly will last for 11 minutes, Shield for 22.

Current spells in sword: Intensified Empowered Shocking Grasp x2 (one from just now, one done in the morning through Spellsword Arcane Channel.)

General Patton
2015-11-04, 02:20 AM
Sahael will join in the aeriel recon.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Ugh, so sick. Thoughts losing coherency.

Silver Night
2015-11-04, 02:23 AM
Kasha

"I think I can provide assistance, and if the box is there perhaps I can at least take a look, though if it is small I wouldn't be able to do much good, so I'm not sure there would be a point to doing that." Kasha casts Conviction, Mass while everyone's still within 20 feet (+3 to all saves). She would have spent at least some of the walk over casting Aid on everyone who wanted it, with the earliest recipients (town guards) still having at least 5-6 minutes left (maybe just average to 14 temp hp each?). She would also make sure to have See Invisibility running.

Aegis013
2015-11-04, 03:33 AM
All of the actions between you would put you at 3 rounds in before you begin ascending the coliseum wall under the cover of Invisibility Sphere, which is roughly 100ft high (for reference, the Roman coliseum was 157'). Assuming ascension at 60ft/round for double moving, we're looking at 5 rounds in before you reach above the top of the wall.

Average benefit 14hp to each guard is fine.

Mento responds "Size of a standard coffin. No cavity trap. Hear something strange, unsure what. Temperature rising quickly. Coliseum grounds is a possibility, but uncertain of location.

Looks like the Necropolitan's team is taking advantage of this time, too.

The Necropolitan quickly casts a spell, activates his amulet and begins to do a strange dance as the two gizmos on his person seem to awaken to life, stretching legs and beginning to crawl on his person. Once they've unfurled, they look like crossbows with chicken legs and some kind of arcane eyeball on the front of them. They quickly climb up onto his shoulders and begin to participate in the dance, as they do, it seems arcane runes imbued into them glow softly. He suddenly stops and begins doing a different dance, with the cat-sized constructs joining him again.

These gizmos are Arbalesters, constructs likely created by the Necropolitan. They're fairly mobile and pretty accurate snipers.
Looks like the softly glowing runes on the gizmos are some kind of unique spell effect - they seem to allow the construct to magically gain the ability to be imbued with certain emotions, or approximations thereof. Particularly, morale and fear effects can now effect them.

The Elf draws out his metamagic rod and readies an action to cast something on himself upon entering the coliseum.

The Azurin pulls scrolls out and begins quickly burning through them. By the end of his scroll consumption three duplicates of himself appear, each quickly forming items seemingly from nothing, including his iconic longsword.

The two birds fly in close to take advantage of the invisibility sphere, looks like they'll accompany you in checking above the wall.

As you ascend the Necropolitan telepathically adds "The birds are detecting a few people in the stands, it could be an ambush."

You reach the top of the wall, cloaked by Renia's invisibility sphere and you can see an older man, balding, in a fine tailored suit quickly making his way towards the far exit of the arena, accompanied by two bodyguards wearing plate armor.

There are a small handful of very well-to-do civilians scattered about the spectator seats, and you see the box in the middle of the arena. It looks like there's some kind of crystal standing unnaturally on top of it, and it almost appears as if the crystal has grown organically around the box and spread out into some kind of huge glyph, spanning at least 25 ft in diameter, and is pulsating with some kind of mystic energy, as if fire is flowing through the crystal. There are two women dressed in servant's garbs moving from person to person carrying a tray that appears to have papers clamped to them and a small ink well and quill.

they look like betting records.

There's a young, muscular man in nothing but a loincloth with a cone shaped object, he stands there restlessly looking toward the door of the Coliseum standing in an announcer's box near the edge of the Coliseum floor.

General Patton
2015-11-05, 02:52 AM
Knowledge (Psionics) [roll0] on this strange creature.

"Mento is definitely here, and that thing is starting to roast him. I don't suppose anyone has any cold spells to buy him some time? Though it seems plausible this thing might convert magical energy into heat, or otherwise obviate magical attacks. Kasha, can you get right in front of that suit-wearing traitor? I need to swap places with you and extract info on the creature."

If she gets in position, then Sahael will manifest Dimension Swap as a Standard Action and use Never Outnumbered to Paralyze Ordo and the bodyguards as a Move Action. Intimidate [roll1]

"Oh my, you've made a powerful mistake today, haven't you? I wonder how many bites it will take to reduce you to a blind, deaf, mute, limbless eunuch. If you're compliant, then you'll never have to find out, you traitorous wretch!"

He also activates Disruptive Terrain.

Silver Night
2015-11-05, 03:56 AM
Kasha

Kasha will try and move ahead of the fleeing possibly-Ordo. If she is able to (flying and incorporeal, running, and including a little extra distance to do most of it from underneath or inside the structure of the arena) she is fine with Sahael's switching plan.

To see what's up with the weird crystal thingy:
Knowledge: Arcana [roll0]
Spellcraft [roll1]

Also, in case she has to fight some humanoids, for knowledge devotion
Knowledge (Local) [roll2]

whoiam
2015-11-05, 06:00 PM
[roll0]
Renia's trying to recognise the 'retreating' man. We're all just assuming it's Mr Ordo, for all we know it's just one of his middle management types...

Also: Remember, she gets free saves vs Illusions :smallwink:

Renia leads her invisible group over towards Mento, while still keeping them well up in the air. She only needs to get within 50' for this next trick...

"I'm going to drop some summoned creatures around the box first. If that crystal's going to fry us for getting too close to the box, I want to know ahead of time. The rest of you, feel free to kick in the gates...."

She takes 6 seconds (around the same 6 seconds Sahael uses trying to force 'Mr Ordo' to surrender) to summon [roll1] Celestial Dire Badgers around the box.

"...Now!"

Aegis013
2015-11-05, 11:47 PM
That's definitely Ordo and two of his guards.

Looks like that crystal is something almost like a living Gate spell, seems like it's about to fire, bringing something or someone into the area. You can tell it's calling across planar boundaries.
It's calling something from the Far Realms.

Looks like that crystal is something almost like a living Gate spell, seems like it's about to fire, bringing something or someone into the area. You can tell it's calling across planar boundaries.
It's calling something from the Far Realms.

When Kasha comes up for Sahael to hit the swap, she's noticed by the bodyguards.

By this point, Renia has moved into position.

Trasil [roll0]
Kasha [roll1]
Sahael [roll2]
Renia [roll3]

Necropolitan+Arbalests rolled in for convenience
[roll4]
Azurin and three copies
[roll5]
Elf
[roll6] or
[roll7] whichever is higher
Kaki
[roll8]
Reikou
[roll9]

Twelve guards
[roll10]

Ordo and two guards
[roll11]

???
[roll12]

You four and the Necropolitan can act in the surprise round (1 standard or move action) thanks to your mental link, but the other characters weren't as fortunate, Kaki and Raikou fell behind when Renia began moving in towards the box and are still near the outer wall.

General Patton
2015-11-06, 01:53 PM
"Wait, that seems to be a living Gate spell. Drawing something from the Plane of Fire, perhaps?"

Using the element of surprise, Sahael swaps places after Kasha's swift assault, assesses his opponents, and then horrifically tears into the bodyguards, focusing on one of them first.

Bite 1 [roll0] for [roll1] and [roll2] Holy damage if Evil.
Bite 2 [roll3] for [roll4] and [roll5] Holy damage if Evil.
Claw 1 [roll6] for [roll7] and [roll8] Holy damage if Evil.
Claw 1 [roll9] for [roll10] and [roll11] Holy damage if Evil.

He expends psionic focus to Paralyze them with fear and then activates Disruptive Terrain.

Silver Night
2015-11-06, 03:42 PM
Kasha

The Plane of Fire would be lovely. It is pulling something from the Far Realms, I suspect.

Mousedigits
2015-11-06, 06:36 PM
If the doors into the Coliseum are open, Trasil flies in through there. Otherwise, he flies above the walls. He has a 60ft move speed.

We want to kill Ordo, right? Just making sure, before I pump thousands of volts of electricity into his body.

General Patton
2015-11-07, 01:18 PM
"The priorities are: save Mento, stop whatever monstrosity is coming through that Gate, acquire any intel and resources from Ordo by force, and then dispose of him. That may change though, as all our recent plans have had an annoying propensity to do so."

Aegis013
2015-11-07, 03:35 PM
Sahael's action is to Standard - use the teleport to get into position, Free action assess opponent, swift action belt of battle for move action to intimidate.

roll was 33. You're confident the creature will appear within the glyph. It should be possible to stop it by dispelling the magic sustaining it. It may also be possible to stop it by breaking the crystal.

The two body guards are easy, while Ordo himself is a pushover.

Trasil moves 60ft through the door towards the center of the coliseum and empowers his weapon.

Sahael switches places with Kasha and intimidates and gives his little spiel. The Bodyguards' eyes widen in terror and Ordo stops mid-stride, making a half step back, his eyes dart back and forth looking for somewhere to run.

Silver Night
2015-11-07, 10:22 PM
Kasha

Kasha relays what she has determined to her allies, while (very quickly) considering her own possible contribution to not finding out what that crystal is trying to do.

Silver Night
2015-11-08, 03:17 AM
Kasha

I'm going to attempt to dispel it. Call me crazy, but I don't want to see what pops out of that thing if there is any way to avoid it.

So, Greater Dispel Magic [roll0]

Mousedigits
2015-11-08, 03:45 AM
Hmm, I have another idea.

With that, Trasil disappears and reappears beside the crystal.

Not sure how much good this will do, but it will likely do more good here than to Ordo.

With that, he plunges his sword into the crystal. Repeatedly.

Full Round Action- Spell Combat, casting Dimension Door. Using this feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-agility).
Using sword 2 handed, power attacking.
Attacks:
Attack 1: [roll0]
[roll1] to confirm (15-20x2 crit, assuming this can be critted)
[roll2] sword damage.
add [roll3] if crit.
Shocking Grasp #1: [roll4]x1.5= 52
If crit, add [roll5]x1.5= 55
If this attack misses, it channels through the first attack to hit.
Shocking Grasp #2: [roll6]x1.5=55
If crit, add [roll7]x1.5= 60
If this attack misses, it channels through the first attack to hit.
Add [roll8] damage if evil.

Attack 2: [roll9]
[roll10] to confirm (15-20x2 crit, assuming this can be critted)
[roll11] sword damage.
add [roll12] if crit.
Add [roll13] damage if evil.

Attack 3: [roll14]
[roll15] to confirm (15-20x2 crit, assuming this can be critted)
[roll16] sword damage.
add [roll17] if crit.
Add [roll18] damage if evil.

Aegis013
2015-11-09, 03:46 AM
Renia begins casting her summoning and the Necropolitan saunters 30ft into the arena area, his arbalesters still mounted on his shoulders.

Kasha hits the crystal with a Dispel Magic, it just barely being within her range from Sahael's previous position, the crystal seems to resonate as if affected by the magic.

(End surprise round)

The Elf sprints into the arena, he runs 80ft into through the door.

The two birds use the run action to dive through the air, traveling 200ft to take up positions around Renia, vanishing back into the invisibility sphere.

At this point, the main crystal on top of the pinewood box cracks and a ring of flame that seems to carry some kind of dark energy within its distorted light erupts from the edges of the glyph rising like a cyclone of fire up to a height of 20ft. You hear the agonized screams of Mento from within the box as it is engulfed in the rising fire. The flame disperses as quickly as it appeared and where once sat the a crystalline glyph now stands a strange creature; it is propped up by three spindly legs, each with five different joints along the legs, from a pelvic structure rises a small spinal column opening into a rib-cage shaped structure. Rather than arms, the creature appears to have a mass of tentacles, twelve in total, each extending about 15 ft from its main body. It's back seems to have a bone structure that expands into a ring, and on the edges of this bone-ring are six vents which are continually jetting that same corrupt fire, the jets quickly fill up a substantial space around the creature. It has a long, thick neck and a large human shaped head with a mouth on the top and eyes all along the base.

Around the creature appear to be six hovering claws of this dark fire.

It doesn't take any of you long to recognize that this creature may have some connection to the acid monster you fought in the elven tomb.

The creature takes up a 10x10 square and is 15ft tall, expanding 10ft past its area in all directions is its wreath of dark fire. The tentacles appear to have a reach of 15ft, so capable of attacking just past the wreath of dark fire.

The creature begins to glow brightly, the light from the fire and the shadow from the dark energy contained within causing the creature to be hard to get a direct bead. The creature has a miss chance of 50%, and a 50% chance to avoid sneak attacks and critical hits.

That bright glow quickly begins a violent strobing effect, becoming extremely bright, then extremely dark in rapid succession.
Each round at the start of your turn, make a Fort save against a DC 16. If you fail the save, you're blinded (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Blinded) for the round. If you pass the save, your dazzled (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Dazzled) for the round. You can avoid this entirely by averting your eyes, if you choose to avert your eyes, you take a -4 penalty to hit the creature in addition to its miss chance.

Trasil is currently 140ft from melee with the creature (you can choose to use the action already posted, we'll need to roll miss chance and the like, but you can keep the rolls, but since the circumstances have changed, you may also change your action).

Ordo and his two guards cower in terror before Sahael.

(Kasha and Sahael technically go here)

The Azurin and his three clones sprint in through the main gate, traveling 120ft into the area (75ft from melee with the enemy), he quickly averts his eyes from the strange creature before him.

Renia completes her summoning, summoning two Celestial Dire Badgers into the fight (feel free to control them), and has her move, and swift actions remaining.

The twelve town guards come marching into the fight as well, traveling 80ft into the area (115ft from melee with the enemy). They all avert their eyes from the creature.

The Necropolitan quickly lets out a thought "That creature is extremely dangerous. Destroy it at will, if we worry about the collateral we may cause, it's likely to cause more collateral damage in the end." as he averts his eyes.

He then draws an item out of his haversack and evokes its power, pointing it toward the creature.
[roll0] vs DC 24/14
You hear a loud noise emanating from the area around the creature like a loud battle.
The Necropolitan has used Creaking Cacaphony on the area around the monster, increasing any sonic damage dealt by 1.5x to any creature in the area that which fails to resist.

Aegis013
2015-11-09, 03:49 AM
(Forgot to include this in the last post) The two Arbalesters let loose attacks against the creature.

The Arbalesters are immune to the strobe-light effect due to being Constructs.
[roll0]
[roll1] hits on 2
[roll2]
plus [roll3] sonic damage

[roll4]
[roll5] hits on 2
[roll6]
plus [roll7] sonic damage

One of the bolts thunks into the creature, causing it to unleash a roar of pain and anger.

The creature takes 48 damage and has 222 hp remaining

(Players can all act at this point)

Mousedigits
2015-11-09, 08:23 AM
Well, crap. This looks familiar, eh? Anyone got the shiny-brick?

Mento, can you hear me? I'm gonna try to get you out. Hold on.

Aegis013
2015-11-09, 03:25 PM
Religion 35 - this creature doesn't fall under religion, but you manage to piece together that there is a connection somewhere. When you last defeated one of these creatures, it collapsed into a fragment of an artifact used in ritual deification, perhaps these creatures have some kind of intrinsic link to a deity or some lost magic involving them.

Planes 28 - This horrendous monster from the Far Realms is an embodiment of fire. It's twisted magic fire can sap even the force of personality from the most hardened of warriors (is capable of dealing charisma damage). It is immune to fire and heals from fire based attacks.

This creature is not a single entity. Each of the dark-fiery claws is its own autonomous creature which functions with the main body as if they were a single entity.

Trasil vanishes, reappearing instantly behind the creature. He unleashes a flurry of slashes as electricity crackles and arcs from the blade of his weapon.

(1d20+11)[31] Fort.

(1d100)[80] Miss for Attack#1 (above 50 hits)
(1d100)[34] Critical Fail for #1 (above 50 Crits)

(1d100)[65] Miss for Attack#2 (above 50 hits)
(1d100)[31] Critical Fail for #2 (above 50 Crits)

(1d100)[26] Miss for Attack#3 (above 50 hits)
(1d100)[78] Critical Fail for #3 (above 50 Crits)

Also, take -1 to all the attacks, due to being dazzled.

The first attack deals 18 sword damage and 107 electricity damage along with a bonus 8 from the creature being evil for 133 total damage, the second blow deals 16+7(from being evil) damage for 33 damage.

The creature takes a total of 166 damage and has 56 hp remaining.

As you slash the creature in melee, its wreath of dark fire envelopes Trasil, and dark flames burst forth from the wounds, counter attacking against its assailant. The creature releases a scream of agony from the blows.

You take [roll0] fire and [roll1] profane damage from the bursts of dark-fire. Will save DC 23 or also take [roll2] charisma damage from the pure darkness contained within the flames.

Silver Night
2015-11-09, 11:03 PM
Kasha

"Well, it was worth a try." Kasha prepares to attack the creature, though she averts her eyes once it starts turning into an evil light show.

Kasha will us 2 inspiration points for Cunning Breach against the head, allowing her to ignore DR and SR for a round (Free action). Chain Lightening against the head, with the body (assuming it is separate) and claws as secondary targets [roll0] damage, DC 21 Reflex for half.

Knowledge: The Planes [roll1] using 1 inspiration point for Cunning Knowledge and Collector of Stories

Kasha will use 3 inspiration points to cast Haboob, over the area the Horror from Beyond™ is occupying, and raising it to clear Trasil if he would be caught in the area. [roll2] with DC 21 Reflex for half.

Also, exactly how far away is she? I'm assuming within 200'? Edit: She would fly down to the ground, 50' from the creature if she is close enough to make it with her move action, and if she can, close to some of the others so they can support each other.

Edit: Also, all the PCs have persisted Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (+3 morale to attacks and damage; 1 extra melee attack per round at highest BAB, doesn't stack with haste etc), the 14 extra HP from Aid, and +3 morale bonus to all saving throws from Conviction, Mass. Not sure if you took advantage of the extra attack or not for Trasil. Nevermind, looks like you've got it covered.

General Patton
2015-11-10, 01:54 AM
Sahael's shadow becomes a bit more than 2-dimensional, ominously flickering around him. It appears to tear its heart out as a piece of shadow blinks across the battlefield to Trasil, animating his own shadow into a similar apparition. As quickly as they appeared, the shadows violently evaporate, infusing their owners with speed. Sahael tactically steps back from the guards with a menacing flourish and points a hand at the monster, fingers twitching up slightly.

"Grab Mento, or what's left of him, and get out."

After Trasil has acted, Sahael lets out a rage-filled yell and thrusts his hand up and back down, burying the monster under a hail of displaced earth. [roll0] bludgeoning damage. DC 25 Reflex save for half damage. Creates difficult terrain in a 20 ft radius.

He manifests Untouchable Aura (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/u/untouchable-aura) for 1 pp, lasting 11 rounds. DC 16 Will save to attack him in melee (though Aura of Fear gives -4 on the save).

He smirks at Mr. Ordo, before slowly grinning with both sets of teeth. "This is your worst monster? Hilarious, pathetic, despicable... and unwittingly playing into our hands. You might want to figure out what I want to hear, before this momentary distraction is dealt with."

He is averting his eyes from the lights.

Silver Night
2015-11-10, 02:29 AM
If the knowledge check tells her that those claws are in fact independent creatures which aren't ethereal, think I'll add an action, if I still can, to put up a Wind Wall in a square around the monster (27.5 feet on a side, 55 feet tall) for 3 more inspiration points to try and contain them.

Aegis013
2015-11-10, 02:56 AM
Planes 28 - This horrendous monster from the Far Realms is an embodiment of fire. It's twisted magic fire can sap even the force of personality from the most hardened of warriors (is capable of dealing charisma damage). It is immune to fire and heals from fire based attacks.

This creature is not a single entity. Each of the dark-fiery claws is its own autonomous creature which functions with the main body as if they were a single entity. They're twisted magic can sap even the force of personality from the most hardened of warriors.

This creature uses its autonomous claws to collect creatures and hold them above its mouth, at which point it spews its dark fire, stealing their force of personality (still charisma) and adding it to its own. It can also steal the life force of any creature impaled on its tentacles, extinguishing the target's life and replenishing its own (self-healing) even beyond its normal incredible healing capabilities (Fast Healing 25).

The body is highly resistance to most forms of magic (SR 24) and the claws have a weaker version of that resistance (SR 14).

whoiam
2015-11-10, 04:24 PM
Renia should be pretty close to the monster at the start of her turn - she was within 40' of the box when she started summoning, so she's likely just above the initial jets of flame.

If it's necessary (that is, if she's not in range of at least all the claws - she should be, considering how close she started the round) she'll fly a little to get into position, but either way she's abandoning her summoning in favor of using her racial Holy Word on the problem.

Hits every non-good creature within a 40' radius of Renia. Since that should be a sphere whose lowest point is touching the ground at approximately the location of the box, I don't think she's got much movement to do to hit the entire group. Also however much of her accompanying flyers don't count as good...

So, anything up to 11HD is Deafened for [roll0] rounds.
Anything up to 10HD is also Blinded for [roll1] rounds
Anything up to 6HD is also Paralyzed for [roll2] minutes
Anything up to 1 HD is also killed for infinite minutes.

Also any non-good extraplanar creature of 11HD or less must make a will save vs a DC of 26 (at a -4 penalty) or be banished for a minimum of 24 hours.

I don't think she'll be doing much to the main creature with this spell, but banishing a bunch of the claws ought to make this fight considerably safer (not least because she's still 10' clear of its vertical reach...:smallbiggrin:)

Aegis013
2015-11-11, 03:27 AM
regarding Kasha's spells
CL checks for Chain Lightning vs the claws' SR:

Spoiler
Hide

(1d20+11)[27]
(1d20+11)[13]
(1d20+11)[16]
(1d20+11)[21]
(1d20+11)[21]
(1d20+11)[14]

Grapple Checks for the tentacles:

Spoiler
Hide

Creature:
(1d20+19)[22]

Claws:
(1d20+19)[24]
(1d20+19)[28]
(1d20+19)[28]
(1d20+19)[23]
(1d20+19)[21]
(1d20+19)[23]

Kasha swoops down from the top of the wall with her impressive movement speed (one move puts her within 75 ft of the creature). Calling on her abilities she unleashes arcs of electricity which hit the creature dead-on, arcing off of its body to each of the surrounding six claws.

DC 21 vs 34 damage
Body [roll0]

Five claws were affected
Claw 1 [roll1]
Claw 2 [roll2]
Claw 3 [roll3]
Claw 4 [roll4]
Claw 5 [roll5]

Kasha accelerates herself further, unleashing a flurry of magic; she conjures a storm of dust on the creature, just above Trasil and the pine box, catching the being and the claws.

DC 21 vs 17 damage
Body [roll6]

Claw 1 [roll7]
Claw 2 [roll8]
Claw 3 [roll9]
Claw 4 [roll10]
Claw 5 [roll11]
Claw 6 [roll12]

Renia moves slightly closer to the creature, unleashing the incredible power of a Holy Word.

Considering this is likely to banish some claws, all other damage dealing effects will apply before this, since it doesn't make sense for a mentally linked team to not be able to coordinate to try to damage or kill as many of the targets as possible pre-banishment, but we'll see the results already.

The Body is deafened for 2 rounds.

The Claws are each Blinded and Deafened for 3/2 rounds respecively, and must roll Will DC 26 (with -4 penalty) or be banished back to the Far Realms.
Will Saves (-4 included)
Claw 1 [roll13]
Claw 2 [roll14]
Claw 3 [roll15]
Claw 4 [roll16]
Claw 5 [roll17]
Claw 6 [roll18]

The Body takes 34 damage from Chain Lightning and completely evades Haboob (Evasion) and has 22 hp remaining.

Claw 2 and 5 both takes 17 damage and have 71 hp remaining.
The entire bunch evade the Haboob damage (Evasion).

Claws 2, 4, 5, and 6 are all banished back to the Far Realms after the resolution of any other player actions (might as well hit them while they're around to be hit).

Aegis013
2015-11-11, 03:54 AM
Trasil grabs the box and D-Doors out of dodge.

Sahael's upheaval barrages the creatures with rocks.

DC 25 vs 32 damage
Body [roll0]

Claw 1 [roll1]
Claw 2 [roll2]
Claw 3 [roll3]
Claw 4 [roll4]
Claw 5 [roll5]
Claw 6 [roll6]

The creatures nimbly evade the rocks (Evasion), but Claw 1 and 2 takes some serious blows receiving 32 damage.
Claw 1 has 56 hp remaining.
Claw 2 has 39 hp remaining.

Aegis013
2015-11-11, 04:18 AM
(Round 2)
The Necropolitan makes a hand gesture towards the two birds as a free action.

The Elf from the Necropolitan's team casts Disintegrate at the creature.

[roll0] vs 24 SR
[roll1] goes through on a 2
[roll2] to hit vs. touch AC

Enemy Fort vs DC 19
[roll3]
If it hits and the enemy rolls a 1 it takes
[roll4] damage plus [roll5] sonic damage
If it hits and the creature saves, it takes the sonic damage and [roll6] damage

The spell disperses against the creature's magically resistant hide.

Kaki and Raikou open their beaks, but turn them toward Ordo and his two goons, dark power swirls up from within their tiny maws and they each unleash two blasts of dark power.

1 blast vs. Guard 1
[roll7] to hit touch AC vs. 14 touch AC
Assuming it doesn't critically fail it deals
[roll8] damage and [roll9] sonic damage.

1 blast vs. Guard 2
[roll10] to hit touch AC vs. 14 touch AC
[roll11] damage and [roll12] sonic damage.

2 blasts vs. Ordo
[roll13] to hit touch AC vs. 10 touch AC
[roll14] to hit touch AC vs. 10 touch AC
[roll15] damage and [roll16] sonic damage.
[roll17] damage and [roll18] sonic damage.

The corpses of the two guards and Ordo, now unrecognizable due to the effects of the eldritch energies, fall to the ground in front of Sahael.