PDA

View Full Version : swap innate spellcasting with some other class.

With a box
2015-05-24, 05:31 AM
If you are the DM, would you allow a Sylph(MM2) player (ECL 8, innate casting as sor 7th).change innate spellcasting to Beguiler 7th casting?
or full seven levels in Beguiler? or Swordsage 7th? would you allow such thing? assume it has decent fluff.

AmberVael
2015-05-24, 06:14 AM
Swapping out sorcerer casting for Beguiler casting or Swordsage maneuvers of equal level? Yeah, sure. I think generally I'd allow swapping of casting (casting including things like initiator levels, pact binding, invocations, etc) for any other kind of casting of equal tier or lower. Swapping to higher tier I might scrutinize a bit closer... but it still could be okay.

In general, this is not going to cause problems- it'll just allow for my character building options, which is cool.

Ruethgar
2015-05-24, 10:38 AM
I second the above. Swapping casting-like progressions for a lower teir would be fine. But if they were wanting Druid or Cleric casting, for the obvious flavor they entail, I would limit it to the spontaneous variants.

Psyren
2015-05-24, 10:42 AM
My only issue here is that beguiler casting means they know their entire list. So a Sylph would go from knowing 10 spells to knowing 56 instantly, not counting cantrips.

Uncle Pine
2015-05-24, 10:54 AM
It makes for awesome encounters (at least I hope so, as I plan to throw at my players a nymph with warlock invocations sooner or later :smallbiggrin:). It sounds in theory and doesn't seem horribly balance-shaking unless you give Wizard casting to a creature with 30 Int and 14 Cha that would normally cast as a Sorcerer. Sylphs don't have such a problem, so you should be fine.