PDA

View Full Version : Azure City loses?

Hiruma
2007-04-21, 09:25 PM
Azure City's got their hands full right now and I do not see how the situation can possibly improve. For one thing, the breach has no one left defending it and the ghasts or whatever don't seem to have been killed. They've lost any way of stopping Xykon, or more accurately, they had no way to stop Xykon from the start (bar a natural 20 turn undead by durkon or something), there's still a Huecuva and an EoFF charging at them and Redcloak hasn't even casted any spells yet!

holywhippet
2007-04-21, 09:45 PM
Don't forget, when V made those soldiers into giants the General was just about to order more troops into position. As such, they must still have reserves.

You'd think the city would have some high level clerics as well. Xykon's damage resistance will only go so far against certain high level cleric spells or summons.

Zakama
2007-04-21, 11:04 PM
We haven't seen Durkon yet. He could still come out, And even if Xykons forces enter the city, the tower is a good fallback point. AC still has a chance.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-22, 12:24 AM
well...several things...Durkon is casting a spell...how do i know? It is a spell with a casting time longer then one full round action. Two...Spells ignore DR.....three.....They are the good guys and plot will win

PlasticSoldier
2007-04-22, 12:37 AM
The plot demands that they have an epic showdown by the gate therefore the walls will fall, the city might not thou but :xykon: :redcloak: :mitd: rock.

Spiky
2007-04-22, 01:07 AM
I'm hoping Azure City loses, even if OOTS manages to beat the baddies. It's too clean and purty. Gives me the willies, just like Duloc.

Bogardan_Mage
2007-04-23, 05:38 AM
I'm hoping Azure City loses, even if OOTS manages to beat the baddies. It's too clean and purty. Gives me the willies, just like Duloc.
Correction: It's ruled by an order of clean and purdy paladins. The city itself, however, is most certainly not. Just look at the nobles (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0414.html). Neither clean nor purdy.

chrono
2007-04-23, 06:28 AM
Don't forget, when V made those soldiers into giants the General was just about to order more troops into position. As such, they must still have reserves.
You mean the ones the DK blasted with one shot?

Sethis
2007-04-23, 09:04 AM
Just realized, Durkon could hurt Xykon a lot more than Roy did. Magic bludgeoning weapons pass lich DR. Hammer anyone? Thor's Might makes him biggerer too.

Course, I hope he cast "Death Ward" and "Meteor Swarm Immunity" this morning....

Jaysyn
2007-04-23, 10:04 AM
Just realized, Durkon could hurt Xykon a lot more than Roy did. Magic bludgeoning weapons pass lich DR. Hammer anyone? Thor's Might makes him biggerer too.

Course, I hope he cast "Death Ward" and "Meteor Swarm Immunity" this morning....

Durkon would get a 24 SR if he'd cast Spell Resistance. That would beat Xykon's casting most of the time. I doubt Xykon took Spell Penetration or Practiced Spellcaster because Sorcerers don't get bonus feats like Wizards.

Also, I haven't seen Xykon cast the first Dispel type spell.

Firestar27
2007-04-23, 10:38 AM
Durkon would get a 24 SR if he'd cast Spell Resistance. That would beat Xykon's casting most of the time. I doubt Xykon took Spell Penetration or Practiced Spellcaster because Sorcerers don't get bonus feats like Wizards.

Xykon is at least 19th level, most likely 20th or epic. Spell Resistance rolls are d20+Caster Level. Caster Level does go up during epic levels. Even if Durkon had SR 24, and Xykon was 20th level and not epic, he would only need a 4 (that's 85% chance) to defeat Durkon.

nocker
2007-04-23, 11:53 AM

This has the be the strangest definition of "most of the time" I ever saw.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 12:19 PM
Down with AC! Team Xykon for the win!

U2QueenBee
2007-04-23, 12:39 PM
I don't see how it can end well for them, personally. Particularly if the Order has seen Roy's passing, they're going to be pretty shaken up, and it's not like the battle was going swimmingly before that point. There's still Xykon, two pseudo-Xykons, Redcloak and horde of undead and hobgoblins roaming around.

And I know Xykon and Redcloak and the MITD are great and hilarious villains and all, but I don't see why people really want the Order to lose. What will happen to our steadfast(ish) heroes then?? :smalleek: For all he says he doesn't want to destroy the world, if Xykon wants to mess around with the Snarl I don't see that ending with sparkly flowers and fluffy bunny rabbits either.

I know, I know, I'm such a doomsayer...beware Greeks bearing gifts on the Ides of March in a thunderstorm, etc.

jindra34
2007-04-23, 12:41 PM
I know, I know, I'm such a doomsayer...beware Greeks bearing gifts on the Ides of March in a thunderstorm, etc.
Then go out and say it straight
DOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 12:51 PM
And I know Xykon and Redcloak and the MITD are great and hilarious villains and all, but I don't see why people really want the Order to lose. What will happen to our steadfast(ish) heroes then?? :smalleek: For all he says he doesn't want to destroy the world, if Xykon wants to mess around with the Snarl I don't see that ending with sparkly flowers and fluffy bunny rabbits either.

It's not that I want the OotS to lose, it's just that I hate Hinjo and want to see Redcloak's mother avenged.

K2
2007-04-23, 12:57 PM
GO Xykon, Kill the ethnocentric paladins!

the_tick_rules
2007-04-23, 02:13 PM
well the walls are being besieged but it seems they're holding. that breech is gonna be a prob but it's a small hole and it can still be bottlenecked, it's not over yet.

archon_huskie
2007-04-23, 02:13 PM
Looking at my tally, I'd say Azure City is in the lead.

Threeshades
2007-04-23, 02:39 PM
Looking at my tally, I'd say Azure City is in the lead.

Well, yes, and with Belkar wasting his time on mindlessly slaughtering Hobbos the good guys will soon dominate the space outside the walls.

But with a breach in the wall easily passable due to a conveniently placed pile of dead hobbos with an attack of ghouls (and maybe ghasts) imminent, only defended by an out-of-area-spells-wizard and some dead soldiers, that wont help them much since dominating the outside is pretty useless, if the inside is in the hands of the enemy.

+we got a flying lich most probably heading for the throne again. And that lich surely has some nice area spells left for the paladins waiting there.

Oh and lets not forget the guy with the +5 anti-undead-greatsword is somewhat dead.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-04-23, 02:40 PM
They may not have had too much warning, I'll admit, but a couple of trebuchets could be shimmied up by enough workers in that time, and would easily have turned the tide by aiming at strategic points.

Catapults haven't even been seen on AC's side.

This seems to easy to me, AC is supposed to be a great and powerful city and they're falling all but the help of a group of adventurers? Something doesn't smell right here...

Illiterate Scribe
2007-04-23, 02:47 PM
Azure City, or at least the Snarl-gate, will win
BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL PLOT!

Remember, Xykon has a pathetic AC, and hasn't optimised his spells. That just leaves him a big hole with 'Durkon' written on, it, as the OotS have proved more than worthy at picking off his other minions.

Threeshades
2007-04-23, 02:48 PM
They may not have had too much warning, I'll admit, but a couple of trebuchets could be shimmied up by enough workers in that time, and would easily have turned the tide by aiming at strategic points.

Catapults haven't even been seen on AC's side.

This seems to easy to me, AC is supposed to be a great and powerful city and they're falling all but the help of a group of adventurers? Something doesn't smell right here...

Well since a great part of azure city's forces somehow refused taking part in the battle they are not all that powerful after all.
And how many legions of hobgoblins were those again?

Lyinginbedmon
2007-04-23, 03:05 PM
Well since a great part of azure city's forces somehow refused taking part in the battle they are not all that powerful after all.
And how many legions of hobgoblins were those again?
It still seems like they're underplussed here, trebuchets and catapults are still missing regardless of them missing the forces of 3-4 warlords. There has to be something we're not seeing or being told, which may account for Durkon's location at the moment

rosebud
2007-04-24, 12:57 AM
Sheeze. Where's the Gods when you need them? Getting held up by low-level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0040.html) clerics in greater need?