PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Playtest: Free Expertise for All

Naanomi
2015-05-24, 12:18 PM
While playing, a few of my players had minor complaints about the skill system, particularly as it regards the 'expertise' mechanic. In particular, they had three areas of difficulty:

1) To become a 'true expert' in something, you needed levels in Rogue, Bard, or (maybe) Knowledge Cleric... a Wizard who dabbled in Roguery would know more about Arcana than a dedicated wizard
2) Partially because the mechanic was bound to certain classes, there was almost no mechanical reason to take Expertise in several skills
3) There was no way to get Expertise in Tools/Etc

We addressed this issue with two houserules, which we have been playtesting for a while now.

1) To address #3, someone can train 'expertise' in a tool/misc proficiency; the process takes ten times the cost and time as becoming proficient in the normal way via downtime training; and the trainer must themselves be an 'expert'

2) Every class, at level 5, was given Expertise in a skill. The skills were chosen to be 'less useful' skills that thematically worked with the class. Classes that already have an Expertise mechanic were given more useful skills to choose from, so as to lessen the 'devaluing' of their mechanic. If a character had no skills they qualified for, the benefit was lost (though we played with the idea of just getting the proficiency instead); but if they later picked up the proficiency they would gain the Expertise 'retroactively'

Anyways, I just wanted to post to say that the system has worked out fairly well; our skill monkeys have not felt devalued by the change and while it rarely comes up in play the changes 'feel right' over all

Barbarian: Survival
-Totem: or Nature
-Frenzy: or Intimidation

Bard: Performance
-Lore: or Investigation
-War: or Acrobatics

Cleric: Religion
-Death: or Intimidation
-Knowledge: or Investigation
-Life: or Medicine
-Light: or Arcane
-Nature, Tempest: or Nature
-Trickery: or Sleight of Hand
-War: or History

Druid: Nature
-Land: or Animal Handling
-Moon: or Survival

Fighter: Intimidation
-Battlemaster: or History
-Champion: or two Tools of Choice
-Eldritch Knight: or Arcana

Monk: Acrobatics
-Element: or Arcana
-Fist: or Intimidation
-Shadow: or Sleight of Hand

Paladin: Religion
-Devotion: or Insight
-Ancients: or Nature
-Vengeance: or Intimidation
-Oathbreaker: (Whatever they had before)

Ranger: Survival
-Hunter: or Navigation + one Tool of Choice
-Beastmaster: or Animal Handling

Rogue: Sleight of Hand
-Assassin: or Disguise Kit + Forgery Kit
-Thief: or Thief Tools + one Tool of Choice
-Arcane Trickster: or Deception

Sorcerer: Arcana
-Dragon: or Intimidation
-Wild: or One Gaming Set of Choice + one Tool of Choice

Warlock: Arcana
-Fiend: or Intimidation
-Fey: or Nature
-Old One: or Investigation

Wizard; Arcana
-Abjuration: or Insight
-Conjurer: or History
-Diviner: or Investigation
-Enchanter: or Persuasion
-Evoker: or Intimidation
-Illusion: or Sleight of Hand
-Necromancer: or Medicine
-Transmuter: or Alchemy Tools + one Tool of Choice

Ralanr
2015-05-24, 02:03 PM
Interesting house rule. My group gives expertise if you have two permanent sources of the proficiency (pick a skill that your background already provides? You have expertise. Etc). Since people mainly get skills at level one, they sacrifice versatility for specialty.

I don't use the rule. Mainly because my dragonborn barbarian has only 4 skills.