PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there a tinkering/inventor type of craft skill?

Oryan77
2015-05-24, 02:21 PM
I'm just wondering what type of craft skill to use for a tinkering or inventor character. I know that I could make it up, but I'm wondering if there was something like this created in maybe a 3e Dragonlance book or the Dragon Magazines.

DrMotives
2015-05-24, 02:54 PM
While I'm not familiar with the 3e Dragonlance material, craft skills are oddly lacking much official support. If I want a PC who can make every weapon & armor in the PH, I know I should get train craft (bowyer - fletcher) for bows and arrows, but then do I get blacksmithing, leatherworking, & woodworking, or do I train in weaponsmithing & armorsmithing? I haven't seen a set standard, just kind of a pick whatever mentality instead.

So you could go profession (tinker) or (inventor), you could go craft (clockworks). I'm leaning towards clockworks, but I don't think there's any sort of official answer.

Darkweave31
2015-05-24, 03:26 PM
You could always try the homebrew science/invention/magitech system known as gramarie, but that may be more extensive than you want.

Urpriest
2015-05-24, 04:02 PM
It depends on what you're tinkering with! Generally the construct in question will say which craft skills it needs. If you look at the list of Craft skills that can be used to qualify for Gnome Artificer you'll get a rough idea of the range of skills that can be relevant.

Xaotiq1
2015-05-24, 04:25 PM
I'm just wondering what type of craft skill to use for a tinkering or inventor character. I know that I could make it up, but I'm wondering if there was something like this created in maybe a 3e Dragonlance book or the Dragon Magazines.

Dragonlance does have Craft (Tinkering). I know it can be found in Races of Ansalon, page 99. But that isn't an official book.

There's also Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering) and Disable Device. Not explicitly what you're looking for; but with some DM assistance, it could work.

Oryan77
2015-05-24, 07:43 PM
Dragonlance does have Craft (Tinkering). I know it can be found in Races of Ansalon, page 99. But that isn't an official book.

There's also Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering) and Disable Device. Not explicitly what you're looking for; but with some DM assistance, it could work.

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. The exact page that describes the skill is pg 112, but you at least directed me to the book, so thanks!

Telonius
2015-05-24, 08:28 PM
I would allow Profession (Inventor). There's an Artificer in a campaign I'm DMing that has that skill.

Zordran
2015-05-25, 03:40 AM

In my games, Disable Device is called Mechanics, and if it involves moving parts, then it's probably a Mechanics check.

Xaotiq1
2015-05-25, 02:26 PM
In my games, Disable Device is called Mechanics, and if it involves moving parts, then it's probably a Mechanics check.

What would you think about a character with precision damage like sneak attack to be able to use it on a construct with a high enough mechanics check?