PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted Campaign

Pages : [1] 2

Arkady
2015-05-24, 04:53 PM
Walking towards the mansion, the party sees many beautiful and colourful gardens arrayed around the mansion grounds. As the party approaches the front door of the mansion, they see a note stuck into the oak door by a nail.

"If you are reading this note, good job. You passed the test! Considered yourselves hired. I have unfortunately had to accelerate my vacation plans, so I have already left. Your rooms can be found down the hall to your right. Kitchen is on the left in the morning, in the basement in the evening, and switches with the bathroom every 4 hours. If you have any questions please ask Jeeves. Jeeves will pass along your first assignment in the morning. Good luck! -Grand Alf"

The party enters the mansion, finding the door unlocked (and untrapped). The layout on the inside is as haphazard as it appears from the outside. Finding some fairly basic rooms where the note indicated they would be, the party falls into a weary slumber.

Come morning, the party awakens to the smell of bacon and eggs emanating from the kitchen. On the table they discover a table set with plates and cutlery along with a note written in a flowing script. There are also a few badges lying next to each plate.

"The master has left me with a list of tasks for you to accomplish at certain times. What his reasoning is for some of these I do not know, but it is not my place to question his decisions. It appears this first one is rather simple. He wishes for you to go into town to acquire some milk (2% please). Seems he is feeling like you could use a break. Carry on then, and feel free to ask questions if you wish. Oh, and I should mention: all employees of the mansion are to wear the badges you see in front of you. They are to identify you as the wizard's employees, and will grant you certain privileges and authority to act on the wizard's behalf in the local area."

NightAngel16
2015-05-24, 05:25 PM
Awakened from his rest by the wafting aroma, Xanian rises out of bed and gets dressed. Choosing to leave his armor behind in the closet, he dons a shirt, trousers, and a simple riding jacket. He takes his weapon with him, now wrapped in a nondescript black cloth. He leans it against a wall once he reaches the kitchen, and mutters to the rest of the party a brief, "Morning." Taking a seat, he begins to leisurely eat his breakfast.

Speaking in between mouthfuls, "So who wants to play errand-boy today? Looks like we need some milk"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-05-24, 11:12 PM
Skittles is sleeping in, and hasn't bothered to get up yet.

Fytr
2015-05-25, 04:19 PM
Arion had spent a couple hours trancing while the others slept, and spent the rest of the night quietly repairing his arrows that he had recovered the previous day. He notices Xanian awakening and follows him to the kitchen, where delicious smells are originating. After reading over the brief message left by Jeeves, he responds to Xanian, "Somehow I don't think it'll be that easy, but it'll at least give us a good opportunity to resupply in town"

ErminaPix
2015-05-25, 09:19 PM
Lahienna awakens in a tangle of black fur and sheets. Sighing, she'll dress and stomp to the nutrients with a growled "I want no comments about hibernation, waking up on the wrong side of the cave, or fleas. Others may be considered witty at a time past the day's peak." She'll scarf down the breakfast with her hands, and read the note following the other two. "Huh. I never understood the consumption of mother's milk past the age of 26, but who am I to judge?"

NightAngel16
2015-05-26, 09:49 AM
Xanian shrugs, "I guess you may be right Arion. There might be more unsavory individuals on the road like yesterday." Noticing that the dragon had not joined them yet, Xanian writes a message on the back of Jeeves' note:

We went out to town to pick up supplies as per Jeeves' wishes. Do as you want.
X.

After, Xanian stands up and grabs one of the badges. He straps Blodulfr to his back (yes he named his weapon) and turns to the others, "No sense in lounging around, I'm heading out. Feel free to follow."

Fytr
2015-05-26, 12:10 PM
Arion watches Xanian write his note. "Typical lizard. Still, I shouldn't be surprised, he could certainly use the beauty sleep.", Arion remarks, smirking a little at his joke. "I'll join you Xanian. Just give me a sec to pick up my gear." Arion returns to the room where they had spent the night to gear up, glancing disdainfully at the sleeping dragon, before heading over to the front door to await their departure.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-05-26, 02:28 PM
This is for your own good. Skittles's heart jumped. He had just returned to his corner of the cave after 'hunting' (going for takeout). His mother was perched over his Horde was staring at him disdainfully. A Dragon's Horde was more then mere treasure, for a Dragon, it was a part of their very identity. Skittles was very proud of his Horde. His collection of Psionic: The Summoning Cards had taken a better part of his lifetime to put together. This isn't healthy. When your father was your age, he already already kidnapped himself a nice girl.

Wait! Skittles cried out You don't understand! They're collectibles! They go up in value!

His Mother just stared at him, and then she breathed. Skittles frantically dived into the Inferno, trying to save whatever he could.

NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just sorted them all yesterday!

~~~~

Skittles snapped wide awake. If he was physically capable of sweating, he would be drenched. He realized it was all just a dream and relaxed. Life was so hard, why was everything happening to him? Waking up at a set time was as alien a concept to him as breathing fire would be for a mere mortal. He struggled and untangled himself from the pile of kindling that the bed had become. He walked over to the poster he put up on the wall, the only modification he made to the room. He traced a claw along the poster, which depicted a group of five Werewolf Bards dancing around a stage in front of a large crowd. Oh Lycan Park. Skittles said mournfully. With your edgy, modern, and yet timeless lyrics... your the only ones that understand the pain I'm in.

He entered the dining hall in his human shape. He looked like a boy who was only party way through puberty. He was a bit pudgy, and overall he looked like someone who would have been picked on in school. He was also completely stark naked.

I'm crawling.. in.. my.. scales..

These wounds.. require.. Elixir..

He sang to himself in an obnoxiously loud and offkey voice. He stopped and stared at the table, or more specifically the Human sized portions. Why don't we have any food? Do they want me to starve? He just caught the group as they are about the leave the room.

NightAngel16
2015-05-26, 02:48 PM
Xanian flatly stares at Skittles' nakedness.... "Perhaps you should not be so concerned about dragon-sized food portions." Then he continues to make his leave. "I do realize you are a dragon, but having a nude boy following us around in town will probably not go over too well. I do not see Lahienna the Bear streaking around."

ErminaPix
2015-05-26, 03:33 PM
Lahienna doesn't take notice of the others and their bickering. She'll look at Arion and remark on his supplies comment. "Perhaps we should pick up some healing supplies as well. I think our party is a bit short. We still have the loot from yesterday, we'll see how far it goes." With that, she'll go into a patient waiting position. Mortals barely understand the concept of living for a decade, patience is beyond them. Time passes as it will...

Fluffy, having kept watch all night, will catch some shut eye while the others are out. He'll lazily walk to the front door and see the party off. Once they've departed, he'll find a sunny spot on the grass, circle it three times and lie down. If at any point during his morning he senses a rodent go by, he will stalk it back to its home, slaughter it, and eat its remains in the shade.

WyvernBlade
2015-05-26, 07:22 PM
SKITTLES
As Skittles relieves himself in the conveniently provided chamber pot he hears an unusual clink slightly before the chamber pot snaps down on his rear end. Upon further inspection he notices that the chamber pot is half of its current size. After about a minute the chamber pot resumes its previous size and takes no further action against the not so happy neighborhood dragon. ASSUMING he makes an inspection of the camber pots contents, he finds the dull golden coin he consumed the previous day.

EVERYONE
As the (hopefully) proud new holders of Grand Alf's employee badge set out on their morning errand the pink sky is becoming its more normal blue and birds can be heard singing in the tree tops. The journey to the village of Lone Lake proves to be a pleasant walk through a peaceful forest. As they approach the village some farmers wave at them, while some mothers shoo their children away from the strangers.

The small village seems like a contented and prosperous one. As they near the more populous regions of town they see a notice board. Some posts on the board are weather predictions by Balm E. while other posts seem to be advertisements. One of these advertisements seems larger than the standard post and is plastered over another notice. The note is written in large dull golden lettering, "Colonel Custard's Creams! Milks! Cheeses! and Custards!"

The village proper lies just beyond the sign, seeming to inviting the party in to complete their "quest".

Rofltrollcopter
2015-05-26, 07:43 PM
Skittles scowls and makes an obscene gesture at Xanian. I need to eat more because I. Have. A. CONDITION. It's called being a frikin Dragon. So up yours, Softskin.

~~~

Skittles joins the party as they make their way towards the village. He is still naked.

ErminaPix
2015-05-26, 07:49 PM
Lahienna decides she looks the least intimidating, so she'll approach the Colonel's stand and ask "Good day sir (or ma'am) might I purchase some 2% milk from your fine establishment? It appears someone forgot to pick some up and well, when cookies are a plenty, milk shouldn't be far away if you catch my drift." She'll speak slowly and politely.

She'll be sensing motive and looking out for any unusual activity at or around the stand. Sense Motive: [roll0]

NightAngel16
2015-05-26, 08:02 PM
Xanian gives a look back at, what outsiders would perceive to be, a naked prepubescent boy throwing a temper tantrum and, with a shrug, decides it's not really worth the effort to retort back.

~~~

Xanian accompanies Lahienna to the Colonel's stand. Adding to her introduction, "We are acting under the wizard's instructions of course, so we really hope we are not too much trouble." He gives a quick smile and flashes his badge.

WyvernBlade
2015-05-26, 08:21 PM
Colonel Custard stares back at Lahienna and smiles back broadly. He holds the stare for longer than would be expected and then keeps going. Lahienna feels a timid pull on her sleeve. "Umm miss. The Colonel Custard's doesn't open until next week." Looking behind her Lahienna sees young woman sheepishly pointing to a sign saying "OPEN SOON". As Lahienna takes a closer look at the Colonel she relies that he is not really a he, but rather a painting on the shop front of a he. "If ahh its 2% milk you want you will want to go to Redmond’s just down the way." (OOC thats what you get for dumping INT :p )

Down the street the party does manage to find a store with delicate red lettering "Redmond Edgard’s Dairy" sign hanging over the door. Entering the shop they see a portly fellow cleaning some glasses behind a counter as he talks to a woman patching up a pair of trousers. "... so I says to him. That's not a root, that's my foot! BWAHAHAA. Oh hello there, I didn't notice you entering. Welcome to Redmond Edgard’s Dairy where we serve only the finest milk. 2%! Now what can I get ya?" As he sees a naked boy enter his shop he seems rather startled, "Woah there friend, I cannot serve ye if ye don't have pants. Matilda give the boy those trousers yer working on, then we can get to business." The woman ties off the last stitch and hands Skittles the pants.

NightAngel16
2015-05-26, 08:29 PM
Xanian blinks for a second realizing Lahienna's mistake and moves on to the actual dairy vendor.
"We are looking to acquire some 2% milk, per the wizard's orders." He flashes his badge yet again.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-05-26, 08:44 PM
Skittles stands in mute shock as he sees the druid attempt to engage the sign in conversation. Wow, not gonna lie, that's kind of sad.

Once they get to the shop, Skittle scowls as the woman tries to hand him the pants. I don't understand you mammals at all. He stands there for a moment, then the shop is enveloped by the sound of popping limbs and other squicky things as Skittles resumes his draconic shape. He glares at the shopkeeper and addresses him in his natural booming draconic voice. Is this better?

Fytr
2015-05-26, 08:47 PM
Arion, figuring that Xanian can probably handle buying some milk without any hand-holding, stays outside by the door and looks around the street, checking if there are any other shops nearby. Hearing what seems to be the sounds of the lizard breaking stuff inside, Arion is glad he didn't go in.

Arkady
2015-05-26, 09:05 PM
"Ah yes, 'course I can get that for ya. Wizard's always sending some folk down to get his monthly supply of milk. Nice to have such a regular, if somewhat irregular, customer around." As he's talking, Redmond moves about the shop with a practiced air. Pulling out several smaller barrels, the shopkeeper goes over to back wall where several spigots protrude. Setting down the first barrel, he begins to fill it with milk from the spigot. Matilda's eyes widen as Skittles goes through his transformation, but do not stay so for long. "Oh you rascal, giving a lady unnecessary frightening. Just last month we had another of you dragon-y types scare our poor cows with its yammering. The milk was soured for a week! Don't you go starting any mischiefs or we'll have to up the wizard's bill for damages."

As the party waits for the filling to finish, Arion notices a crowd of people gathering outside across the street. The townspeople appear to be peering into the windows of another shop, where what appears to be a town constable is guarding the door. Another constable appears from inside the shop, whispering briefly to the guard before returning inside. The sign above the shop reads in bold white lettering: "Blutarch's Lactose United". The townspeople around the shop appear concerned and are talking amongst themselves in worried whispers. Back inside Redmond's shop, Maltida approaches the window and peers across the way. "Redmond dear, something appears to be going on at old Blutarch's." Redmond stops his milk filling to join Matilda at the window. "Now what do ya suppose that's all about?", he wonders aloud.

NightAngel16
2015-05-26, 09:15 PM
Xanian raises an eyebrow and asks Redmond, "You losing business to a fellow dairy merchant over there? Looks like quite the crowd."

Fytr
2015-05-26, 09:54 PM
Curious about why a dairy shop would be attended to by the local constables, Arion decides to go investigate."I'm going to go see if I can find out what's going on over there." Arion says to the group, and then heads across the street to Blutarch's Lactose United to get a closer look.

Arkady
2015-05-26, 11:22 PM
With a small frown on his face, Redmond turns to Xanian. "Blutarch and I have been competing in the dairy industry for years. We both started up business at about the same time, and have been butting heads ever since. Nothing like a little friendly competition though, haha! Can't say I've ever seen such a large crowd over there though, especially on a Tuesday. Perhaps your elven friend can shed some light when he gets back, eh?" Redmond will return to the back of the store to continue filling the milk barrels.

Meanwhile, across the street, Arion approaches the crowd. Whispered gossip runs rampant through the crowd, with those near to the windows passing back information to those behind. "Where is Blutarch, why hasn't he come to the shop yet?" "They're doing something in that back room there, can't get a good view..." "The sheriff don't look none to happy...wait, here she comes." The noise of the crowd falls to a hush as a woman exits from the front door. She wears a similar uniform as the constable by the door, but has a small gold star pinned to the front. Taking a deep breath, she faces the rapt audience. "It is my regrettable duty to inform you that Blutarch is dead. We do not know the cause of death yet, so don't go off into wild speculation until we have a better chance to investigate. For now I ask that go back to homes and stay out of the way until we can do our job." A few half-asked questions rise up from the crowd, but quickly die out with a glare from the Sheriff. As the crowd begins to disperse, the sheriff notices Arion standing among them. Seeing the badge the wizard gave him, she beckons him over. "One of the wizard's new agents, huh? Well, I'm sorry to put such a damper on your visit to our quaint little town. We're a tight knit little community, so a death like this is sure to cause a fair amount of trouble. Ah, where are my manners? The name's Sharon, and I'm the closest thing to a peacekeeper you'll likely find in this town." The sheriff extends her hand to shake Arion's. Lowering her voice, she continues speaking, "Listen, a lot of what I said back there wasn't entirely true. Can't be rustling up the townsfolk, you know? This whole thing makes me mighty uncomfortable. Worst crime we get out here is petty theft and complaints of spoiled cheese. I'm out of my depth here, but I do not believe Blutarch's death was of natural causes. I know that you are new here, and that I am asking a lot of you, but Wizard Alfred and his employees have been of great help to the town in the past. I do not have much experience in matters such as these, and would appreciate a second opinion from someone with more... world experience? Eh, it's not the right word but it'll do. Will you lend yourself to me for this? I would be happy to pay you for your services, in addition to putting in a good word for you with the wizard."

Fytr
2015-05-27, 02:47 PM
Arion listened intently as Sharon addresses the crowd, and was surprised when she began sharing her suspicions with him. "You suspect there may have been foul play involved?" Arion waves across the street to the others in the shop, beckoning them over. "I can't say I've had any experience investigating a potential crime scene, but I'm sure we'd be able to take a look, at least. Did Blutarch have any long-standing enemies that you know of, or had he recently done anything out of the ordinary?"

NightAngel16
2015-05-27, 03:09 PM
"I will leave you to finish filling up these containers Redmond. Just going to check on our elf friend over there." Xanian makes his way through the crowd with some difficulty, but soon clears a path when the people notice the rather large armament strapped to his back.
He nods to the sheriff, "Good day officer. What's with all the commotion?"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-05-27, 03:17 PM
Skittles chuckled. If the worst that one of my kind has done is scare some of your cows, you should count yourself lucky. He stopped and looked at Matilda quizzically Wait, there was another one of my kind around? How long ago and what was their color?

Could I also get one of the cows to go?

~~~

Skittles wandered over to the crowd. Before he left the shop, he changed back to his humanoid disguise but forgot to take the paints. Once he gets close, the nude teenager proclaims in a grand voice. Don't worry everyone: We are adventurers and we are here to help.

ErminaPix
2015-05-27, 03:49 PM
Embarrassed but not at all surprised by her mistake, Lahienna will raise her head in a dignified manner. "Well, we didn't have these 'signs' where I grew up, and you humans all look the same." She'll look directly at Skittles, "And I personally find it sad that this sign has provided more pleasant conversation than anything you've come up with since we met."

Assuming we're permitted onto the premises, Lahienna will look for any plants that may have witnessed anything (through windows, from pots, etc). She will bribe them with water in exchange for information. (Because who finds out there's a murder and thinks to water the houseplants?)

Arkady
2015-05-27, 10:25 PM
"Ha, as brash as any dragon I've ever met. It was some green fellow, about a month ago. Or maybe it was more of a blue-ish color. 'Traveling the world' or something like that. Pah, off to gather more treasure no doubt." At the mention of cows, Matilda narrows her eyes. "What, wanting a snack are we? I'll not part with one of the milk producing cows for less than 300 gold, but I'd be willing to sell you one of the older ones for 100, if you've got the coin."

Across the street, Sharon sighs and repeats a lot of what she just said to Xanian before continuing her talk with the group.

"I am beginning to suspect something is out of place.", Sharon replies to Arion. "Blutarch may have been getting on in his years, but he was still a spry old man who knew his shop well. To be blunt, I don't think its an accident. I will let you inspect things for yourselves before we move the body out. As for enemies, I can't really say that he had any. I did not know him that well personally though, so you might want to ask some of the people who knew him better. You could try talking to his assistant, Mr. Viridian. He's in the front there talking with one of my constables. You might also want to talk to Redmond across the street. He and Blutarch have been against each other in business for years, and they were constantly debating whose milk was better. That Colonel Custard coming to town had them both riled up though. Small business owners like Redmond and Blutarch never get along with conglomerate types like the Colonel. That Custard fellow has been living it up in the tavern, buying drinks for everyone trying to get more people to come to his shop when it opens. That man must have some deep pockets... Eh, where was I? Oh, I suppose I should go talk with Blutarch's wife Scarlet now that we've done our work here. She was the first to find the body this morning, and I've had her resting up at my office. I do appreciate you taking a second look at things. I'll send someone over to collect the body soon, so get your looking done before too long. You can find me down at the office if you have any questions."

Turning away to leave, she spots the naked Skittles exiting Redmond's shop. Scowling, she marches over to him. "What in tarnation do you think you are doing? Have you no decency about you? Get your naked ass into some clothes please, you're causing yourself and others a great deal of embarrassment." Shaking her head, she will walk off in the general direction of the town centre.

As Lahienna enters the room, she notices a fern plant in the front window. After a bit of coaxing and watering, she manages to make contact. "Ah yes, good water. Tasty water. Refreshing water. Like refreshing sunlight. And refreshing breeze, yes. Fresh air when door opens. Door opens often when sunlight shines. Many pass through. Not many when sunlight wanes. No, no fresh air and no sun. Some still pass through. Door opens once in the last darkness. Fresh cool air comes in. Waited for more cool air, but none came until sunlight returned. By then air was bad. Tastes of rot and decay and death. No good. More water?" The fern falls silent.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-05-27, 10:40 PM
100 gold! I can get a horse for less then that.

Skittles scowls at the constable. I'm naked literally all the time. Why does it suddenly become an issue if I'm wearing pink skin? I don't understand you monkeys at all! Skittle's confusion seems to be genuine.

He shrugged as the group began its investigations. Can someone please explain me to why its our problem? Besides, its obvious that Colonel Custard did it.

NightAngel16
2015-05-27, 10:57 PM
"The dragon is correct in that regard. Currently our primary objective is returning with the 2% milk to the mansion. However, the sheriff did mention that past agents of our employer have been of great help to this town. Keeping this in mind, it may be within our best interests to uphold the wizard's good name while we are not too preoccupied."

Xanian bends down to examine the corpse. "As for a potential murderer, the Colonel is a prime suspect, but at this point we lack any substantial proof. Time of death, murder weapon, witnesses, we need to gather some base facts first."

Anything recognizable in Blutarch's wounds? Bite, claw, puncture, bludgeon, slash, etc. etc.

Fytr
2015-05-27, 11:16 PM
Arion looks back to address the dragonboy's question. "To be honest, it isn't really our problem. Personally, I don't like the idea that there could be a murderer running amok in this small town, and I would rather look into it now, while only one guy is dead. You may do as you wish. And while I agree that the arrival of a new dairy shop coinciding with the sudden death of the owner of one of the old dairy shop seems suspicious, it can't hurt to look around first before jumping to conclusions."
Arion heads into the building and into the room containing the corpse. Seeing that Xanian has already started examining the body, Arion decides to look around at the room, checking for any "clues" the assailant may have left behind.
Anything general about the condition of the room, signs of struggle, damaged door/lock, etc. More specific things using Spot: [roll0] or Search: [roll1]

Arkady
2015-05-27, 11:41 PM
Upon entering the shop, you see what appears to be a similar shop layout to Redmond's. In a corner, a constable is talking with another man who is wearing a nametag with the store logo on it. Upon seeing the party, the constable nods in their direction and points towards a door near the back, after which he continues talking with the man. Through the door to the backroom lies a grisly scene. Lying next to a table is the body of a man in his 40's or 50's, surrounded by a pool of blood. A cup of spilled milk lies near where the man has fallen, a patch of white fading to pink where it has come into contact with the blood. Inspecting the body more closely, Xanian notices what appears to be some sort of crescent shaped blunt force trauma to the back of the man's head, presumably the cause of death. Searching the body reveals a few gold coins and a ring of keys.

Arion searches around the room for additional clues. While looking through the room, Arion admires how organized everything appears to be. However, in one of the corner stock shelves he finds a disturbance. A row of milk kegs appears misaligned. Upon closer inspection, Arion finds that another milk keg has been shoved behind the first row. It's bottom edge is bloodied, and the shape of the keg matches the crescent wound on Blutarch's head. Arion notes that the keg he holds is marked "2%" while the row he found it in appears to only contain 1% kegs. Arion also finds a locked door with the word "Office" scrawled across it, as well as another door that appears to lead to an alley behind the shop.

NightAngel16
2015-05-28, 09:56 AM
Xanian takes the keys and pockets the gold coins, as a form of collateral perhaps. He approaches Arion and also inspects what is likely to be the murder weapon. Afterwards, he jangles the keys. "I will check the office, see if you can find anything of interest in the back alleyway." Assuming one of the keys unlocks the door to the office, Xanian makes a thorough inspection of the room.

Any other distinguishing marks on the murder keg, such as an ownership seal/branding of some sort?
Take 20 to search the office.
Also how much gold did Blutarch have on him lol.

ErminaPix
2015-05-28, 03:45 PM
Lahienna nods in somewhat understanding. "Hopefully the nice couple across the street will look after you. There's bound to be fresher air there."

To the group she'll add "Fellas, I think my colleague here has something interesting to say. It appears someone entered the building last night, but didn't leave through the front door. After this occurrence, Blutarch died and his body started to rot. Either the murderer is still here, they took an alternate exit, or they were already inside the building from yesterday and killed the victim when he came in for a late night inventory count." To the clerk she'll ask "Are there any other exits from the building? Is there any reason your boss might have come in late last night? Who is responsible for locking up last night? And what are your procedures for ensuring everyone is out of the building?"

Sense motive on answers [roll0]

Fytr
2015-05-28, 04:44 PM
Arion stops to listen to Lahienna's report,"Cool trick. It sounds like our guy probably left through the back door to escape through the alley. I'll go snoop around out there. Let me know if you guys learn anything in here." Arion exits the building through the alley-door and starts to look around for any clues left in the alley. 'Hmm, all this searching reminds me of when I used to hunt and track with...' Arion thoughts trailed off as he remembered that day, many years ago now, and the sweeping shadow that still haunted his dreams at night. After a moment, he shakes himself out of it.'I'll be damned if I let more innocents die.' Arion pledges to himself and continues searching.

Take 20 for searching in the alley

WyvernBlade
2015-05-28, 08:48 PM
As Xanian tries the keys the first few do not open the lock no matter how he giggles the keys, but eventually he comes upon one that opens the lock. Inside Blutarch's office, much like the rest of the store, everything has its place and nothing is outside of that area. There is a small fire place with a painting of a fat healthy dairy cow above the mantle. There is also a stand with a bottle of some sort of alcohol and a pair of glasses. On the desk there is a brown book with lists of numbers that appear to be records of sales and other record keeping of a business man. There are also a few opened envelopes on the desk. Of note there is a letter from a Mr. Viridian requesting a pay raise as he thinks that his current wages do not reflect all his hard work. It contains a strong implication that action would be taken, most likely a letter of resignation, if his wages were not adjusted.

There were no other distinctive marking on the milk container other than the 2% label. And looting the dead! You monster :p 20 sp.

As Lahienna begins to question the clerk he turns to face her. "Mr Blutarch, my boss, was in for most of the day, and he was here shortly before his death. I was taking out the garbage for the night before I left for home. When I arrived in the morning I opened up shop and there was Mr. Blutartch, dead on the floor. As for your second question, Mr. Blutarch locks up the shop in the evening, seeing as he lives up stairs. We usually don't check that the shop is empty seeing as, well who would want to hide in a dairy shop here in our little village?"

While the investigation proceeds inside, Arion investigates the alley. Using his keen tracking sense he is able to pick out one pair of day old tracks leading to a dump close by and then continuing on. Along the way there seems to be a few pieces of garbage dropped, but not so much that it is out of the norm. Another set of tracks approximately the same age lead straight down the alley and into the village. Along those tracks there is a little scrap of cloth that snagged on a nail jutting out of the wall and tore free of the garment.

NightAngel16
2015-05-28, 09:45 PM
Quite interesting Mr. Viridian... I doubt the assistant actually committed the crime, but perhaps a good shake will make him drop something useful. There is a hint of a malevolent grin as Xanian pockets the letter.
~~~
Xanian returns to speak with Blutarch's assistant. "Mr. Viridian! Now I am sure my companion here has been quite thorough in her questioning, but are you sure you have told us everything you know? Omission of any facts can become a great hindrance to our investigation you see..." He pauses for a brief moment, but then continues before a response can be formulated.

"A letter from a rather disgruntled employee saying he would take ACTION if certain job demands were not met. Not to mention, this same employee was supposedly the first to discover the corpse! Being the esteemed assistant, this individual would likely know the most opportune time to strike Blutarch... DEAD." Xanian slams down one of the empty milk kegs to emphasize the point.

"Of course, this evidence is all very circumstantial... However, when it comes right down to it, it is your word against mine. The dairy assistant versus the Grand Wizard's hand-picked agent. So please, enlighten us, and clear any glaring misconceptions." Xanian waits patiently with a grinning facade.

Intimidate -> [roll0]

Fytr
2015-05-30, 10:40 AM
Arion loses the trail as the tracks enter the main village. He takes the piece of cloth and examines it more closely. He makes his way back to Blutarch's shop to regroup. He shows the piece of cloth to Lahienna, "I followed the trail as far as I could before it went into town, but I did manage to find this caught on a nail. Would your wolf friend be able to follow the scent?"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-05-30, 02:05 PM
Skittles is incredibly bored with the whole murder affair, although he was satisfied that everyone seemed to have dropped the pants issue. Skittles could be incredibly stubborn, but his confusing over clothing was genuine and not attempt to cause grief for the sake of it. He wandered into the office after Xanian entered and starting looking into the ledger with a careful eye, checking to if there were any irregularities or anything else of note.

Int check? [roll0]

Arkady
2015-05-31, 12:42 PM
Mr. Viridian cowers from Xanian. "I...I...I don't know what you are talking about! That letter was me asking for a raise, not threatening him with bodily harm! Blutarch may have underpayed me, but that doesn't mean I would kill him. And I wasn't even the first one to find him, I only found out about it when I came in for work this morning. His wife Scarlet was the one to find him first."

Meanwhile, back in the office, Skittles is perusing the business ledgers. Everything appears to be in order, and it seems that Blutarch had been doing quite well in recent years. Some recent documents seem to indicate that Blutarch had received some offers from Colonel Custard to buy his shop. The amount of each offer increased with every new attempt, but it would appear that Blutarch had turned them all down.

NightAngel16
2015-05-31, 02:44 PM
Xanian sighs and slowly approaches Mr. Viridian with his hands stuffed into the pockets of his jacket. "This is rather disappointing, but I guess it cannot be helped. My sincerest apologies. I do try to be civil, but every now and then, the other side of myself likes to make itself known."

He quickly leans in, with narrowed eyes, and brings up the sharp point of a claw just underneath the assistant's jawline. "Just remember, if anything turns up that connects you to Blutarch's murder, I WILL be back for you. Enjoy the rest of your day Mr. Viridian."

Moving to leave, Xanian turns to the rest of the party, "One of you get a statement from Scarlet. I feel at this time I am lacking the delicacy needed to interrogate a mourning widow. I will go finish up our little milk errand." He gives a wave of dismissal as he exits the shop.
~~~
Xanian leans across the counter, "Almost done with our milk there Redmond? Quite the commotion over at Blutarch's shop." Edit: Decided to tag along with Skittles instead.

ErminaPix
2015-05-31, 07:09 PM
Lahienna will approach Skittles when Arion goes outside. She'll say "Hey Skittles, I wanted to apologize for earlier. I'm not accustomed to signs and I covered my embarrassment poorly by lashing out at you. It was not a fair comment and I'm sorry." She'll speak sincerely, then walk over to Arion when he returns with the cloth.

In regards to retrieving Laika, she'll say "There is no need for me to disturb her and her much needed rest. I can seek answers myself. I must advise that speech will be beyond me in my alternate form. I will follow the scent and you can follow me. I'll try to be non-intimidating, but your presence shall smooth things over with the townsfolk surely." With that, she'll transform into a Husky (aka Riding Dog) and follow the scent out the back door.
Jump +8
Listen +5
Spot +5
Swim +3
Survival +1 (+4 racial bonus on survival checks when tracking by scent)
Special qualities: Scent, low light vision

Rofltrollcopter
2015-05-31, 10:00 PM
Skittles blinked in surprise when Lahienna had apologized to him. She might as well have been speaking Orcish for all that Skittles understood her. The concept of apologies was as alien to Dragons as clothing or regular sleeping schedules. Dragon tended to all be very aggressive and took their own opinions as god-given truths (if they acknowledged the authority of any Gods). Suffice to say, Dragon-Dragon couples never tended to last for any significant length of time. Um, okay?

He walked out of the office with a look of triumph on his face. In a rather smug voice he said Told ya that the Colonel did it. He had him offed so he could buy the shop. What Xanian had talked about completely went over Skittle's head. When Arion and the doggy went running off (Skittles would never admit it, but the dog from was rather fluffy and cute) Skittles turned to talk to Xanian Oh, you don't want to talk to the widow? That's okay, I can do it for you guys. Then the nude boy went off to find the former Mrs Blutarch.

NightAngel16
2015-05-31, 10:29 PM
About to leave the vicinity, Xanian takes a glance back at the nude boy-dragon and sighs to himself. It is rather amusing, the lengths this dragon will go to unknowingly humiliate himself. Especially given the pride of such creatures. "On second thought, it would not hurt to observe the proceedings. I will let you do the talking however."

As they make their way to the widow Xanian mentions as an offside comment, "I do realize that dragons really have no need for vestments, but to most lowly commoners, they do not perceive you as a magnificent dragon. At the moment they perceive you as a naked human boy, and, as such, will grant you the appropriate respect, or lack thereof. Food for thought Skittles."

Fytr
2015-06-01, 12:43 PM
Arion nods and follows Lahienna out the back door. "Assuming you can understand me in that form, the trail I followed passed through a dump nearby, so prepare yourself. If the smell proves overwhelming, I can lead you to where I found the cloth and we can try from there."

Arkady
2015-06-01, 01:57 PM
Lahienna gets a good scent off of the scrap of cloth, it appears to be quite fresh. Following the trail out of the alley, the scent becomes mixed in with a wide variety of other smells from the bustling community. Still, Lahienna is able to distinguish the trail, and begins tracking. The trail meanders throughout the street, seemingly crossing itself several times causing much backtracking and double-checking.

Before they get very far down the street, they are approached by a portly man in a fancy suit accompanied by what appears to be a bodyguard. He appraises the elf and dog with a superior air, a wide smile beneath his curly white mustache. "Ah, you must be the wizard's servants I've been hearing about. Terrible business this murder stuff is, just terrible. Your investigation is proceeding well I trust? Ah, where are my manners, my name is Custard... Colonel Custard."

ErminaPix
2015-06-01, 03:50 PM
Lahienna will sit on her haunches and wait for Arion to do the talking. She'll sense motive on the Colonel however, seeing if he means what he says. She'll also take a whiff and see if any smells are similar to the crime scene.

Sense Motive [roll0]

WyvernBlade
2015-06-01, 07:06 PM
Xanian and Skittles head up the street to the constables head quarters. It is a small building, but it is kept prim and proper, with all its hedges clipped and windows washed. There is an officer of the law sitting on a stool guarding the door, however he is only half awake, and just waves the pair in without sparing them a glance. Entering the building they find Sharon comforting Scarlet, who seems to only recently have stopped crying enough for Sharon to gently try to get information out of her. Sharon looks up as the pair approach, and sighs. "I thought I asked you to put on some pants. It is indecent for children over the age of four to go running around in the nude. RORRY! get this lad some clothes please!" They here a bump out side and then the officer they saw 'guarding' the door enters, rubbing the back of his head, where he had apparently knocked it against the wall from being startled awake.

"Yes mam." He returns shortly with black and white striped clothes. "These are the only ones we have left in stores, mam.

She sighs and says,"Fine these will have to do." Turning to Skittles, "Please put these on to avoid upsetting Mrs, er.., Ms Scarlet. It took me so long to get her to even be able to speak. Now I assume you are here to speak to her? Be gentle and remember, she did just lose her husband." Sharon moves to the side to pour herself a glass of water.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-01, 07:39 PM
Skittles's temper had been building up since the whole clothes debacle began and Xanian's comments only added fuel to the fire. Dragons as a whole were not terribly patient to begin with, and this latest incident with the constable had pushed him over the edge. Ever since I got here, you ethnocentric bastards have been shoving cloth in my face. I have been naked for literally my entire life, and no one has taken the time to explain why you monkeys suddenly need me to wear them now over indecency or some other such unexplained reason. I've been doing perfectly fine without them so far thank you very much.

He advanced a step forward and poked a finger in Constable Sharon's chest. Going over the events in the swamp in his head, he unleashed a verbal tirade.

"OK, I've just about had my FILL of riddle-asking, quest-assigning, insult-throwing, pun-hurling, smart-assed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Grand Alf AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the Nine Hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

WyvernBlade
2015-06-01, 08:12 PM
Sharon mutters under her breath, "Be a constable they said, nothing ever happens in lone lake they said, hrnn."

Although her patience is wearing thin, she is in fact quiet suited to be a constable of a small town, where one is required to deal mostly with shenanigans. She refills her glass and takes a seat on a stool. And tries to recall her anthropology classes she was forced to take in the academy. "Here is a straight answer for you. Humans, elves, dwarves, haflings, and the others have been wearing clothes for quiet some time. Over the millennia people have wore clothes as a status symbol, fashion, and for comfort. But that is not where this need to cover ourselves came from. It is thought that people started wearing clothing to combat the elements, seeing as we don't have heavy pelts or the like. However that is not the only reason, it is also thought that people have started wearing clothes partly do how we evolve, sexually. Wearing clothes limits access, or makes it more difficult, to sexually reproduce. This allows an individual to be more chosey about who they mate with, and there by select a better mate. Clothing can be both a way to refuse mates, and to attract desirable mates. Additionally, many disease are spread either through genitals or through feces. Clothes help reduce the spread of these disease by reducing the contact with those areas. Now a days people rarely think of these reasons when they get dressed in the morning, yet they are still important, and people have become used to wearing clothes, and expect others to follow this. People may have started wearing clothes, while other animals have not, do to increased intelligence. So please start acting like your enlarged cranium is more than just ornamentation."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-01, 08:28 PM
Skittles listened to the Constable's explanation. Huh. Why didn't you all say so in the first place?He took the clothes and donned them without further complaints... Although he got confused and winded up with the shirt on his bottom half and sticking both of his arms through the legs of the trousers. He then wandered into the next room.

NightAngel16
2015-06-01, 08:48 PM
Xanian loosens his grip and leaves his weapon wrapped in its cloth. Rolling his eyes, he strolls in after the dragon. That took long enough...

Fytr
2015-06-02, 10:41 PM
Arion nods in greeting.
"Well met, Colonel. You are correct. I am indeed one of the wizard's new employees. As for the investigation, I am afraid I cannot disclose any information about the case at this juncture, other than that inquiries are proceeding." Arion explains politely.
'Since Custard is one of our prime suspects, I should probably get him talking, and see if Lahienna notices anything.' Arion thinks quickly.
"But enough about that, I'm curious to know more about your recent arrival in this town. What made you believe that you could run a successful dairy shop in a town that already has not one, but two other competing shops, and run by locals no less? A bold move, I have to say. And may I also ask in which army or unit you acquired the rank of colonel? I was in the military too, you see."

NightAngel16
2015-06-04, 08:17 PM
Xanian motions at Skittles, "I believe I said I would allow you to take care of the talking this time."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-04, 08:26 PM
Skittles nods. He walks up to the distraught woman. So, what happened when you found your husband's corpse?

As he was saying that, he cast a spell. Who needs social skills when you have Magic?

OOC: Charm Person, DC 13 will save.

WyvernBlade
2015-06-04, 08:38 PM
Scarlet looks up as the two strangers approach her, red eyed and teary. Though as she makes eye contact with Skittles a brief smile almost makes it onto her face. Sharon raises an eyebrow as she notices the spell being cast, but doesn't react in any other manner.

"What happened y-you ask? I came down stairs and there was me husband on the floor. DEAD!" *boohoohoo* "There was dark blood on the floor and he was all stiff and cold. I-I thought that he was just late coming upstairs, he sometimes looks over his books late into the night, but then he wasn't there when I woke up." She sobs a bit more.

Arkady
2015-06-04, 09:59 PM
"Ahahaha, I'm sorry my boy, but the title is merely decorative in my case!", Custard laughs as he pats his belly. "Adopted it as part of the per-son-a of my current position in my company. Colonel Custard's Fine Dairy, best dairy producer to be found in the whole county! Closest I've ever been to an army was when I personally led a team of my finest workers on an expedition to find the secret ingredient to our Chocolate Cream Confectionery!" Custard pauses to look towards Blutarch and Redmond's shop, twirling his mustache thoughtfully. "It has been my mission these last 10 years to bring my product to as many people as possible. I made a bid to move in to this town over 6 months ago, but the town council was... reluctant to accept my humble proposal. 'Keeping things local' or some other such hogswash. I personally think it was just that Redmond and Blutarch trying to keep the people from the quality low-cost alternative that is Custard's Dairy! Now, I think that it is a terrible tragedy for this town to have lost someone as prestigious as Blutarch, but I must say it does simplify things considerably for me. Perhaps I can finally gain some traction with the council and get these people some quality dairy products! Now, is there a way that I can help, any way at all, with your ongoing investigations?"

Laheinna believes that Custard is an honest, if somewhat blunt businessman.

NightAngel16
2015-06-04, 10:19 PM
Xanian lower his head slightly and sighs impatiently, noting the charm attempt by Skittles. I am surrounded by incalculable fools.

He bends down and makes eye-contact with the widow, "Apologies Madame. I can sympathize as to how traumatizing an experience this is for you, but to face the facts, your husband is dead. Tears are a perfectly normal response in this situation, but I am sure you know they will not bring back the dead. What WE can do, is bring justice for your beloved husband. I am sure you regarded him with the utmost respect and will carry on his dairy legacy. Now please, do you remember any details concerning this event? Potential suspects? Strange customers or behaviors prior to the murder? Oddities in your store's gold accounts? Even the smallest crack in the dam can instigate a flood of retribution!"

Xanian realizes he's leaning a bit close and straightens up. "Apologies again. I do tend to get carried away at times..."

WyvernBlade
2015-06-05, 08:13 PM
"Odd customers... no I do not think so, but I do not usually deal with customers. Although, now that you ask, last night after I had gone to bed, but before I was fully asleep, I do remember hearing a heated conversation. I-I am not exactly sure about what, but I think it had something to do with what percent milk is the best milk. But I guess that is not all that helpful, seeing as we run a milk shop." Sniffling she wipes her nose on a handkerchief.

NightAngel16
2015-06-05, 08:28 PM
" It might not be entirely unhelpful.... If you were to guess, what percent did your husband prefer?"

ErminaPix
2015-06-06, 10:52 AM
Lahienna will lie down in the shade of the Colonel's shadow. She'll extend her nose towards his shoes and stick her tongue out in a relaxed manner. She's looking out of the corner of her eye to see if his boots give away anything.

Fytr
2015-06-07, 10:24 AM
"Well sir, it's been a pleasure speaking with you. I'll be certain to let you know if we have any more questions for you. Now, I'm afraid we must be off."
Arion says, thinking that they had spoken long enough for Lahienna to notice anything suspicious if there was anything to notice.
Struck by a sudden idea, Arion sneaks a glance at Custard's bodyguard, looking for anything that may tie him to the crime scene.

Does his clothing match the scrap of cloth that they're using? Do his boots match the footprints they followed? (OOC: don't know if a check is necessary/appropriate here, let me know)

WyvernBlade
2015-06-07, 08:13 PM
"1% of course. Every one who is anyone drinks 1%, and Blutarch was the sole supplier of it in Lone Lake.

NightAngel16
2015-06-08, 08:41 PM
Xanian stretches a bit, then makes his way to the door. "I suppose that is all we need to ask at this point. If we have any additional questions pertinent to this investigation, we will be sure to contact you."
~~~
Back at Redmond's shop...
Xanian leans across the counter, "Almost done with our milk there Redmond? Quite the commotion over at Blutarch's shop."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-08, 10:17 PM
Can you tell us who your husband had the conversation with?

WyvernBlade
2015-06-09, 07:11 PM
"Ahh Xanian, velcome back comrade! I am merely finishing vid the third barrel. I vill send for you ven it is ready." Xanian sees Redmond roll away a large barrel, presumably filled with milk, to the side to join two other barrels that have already been filled before rolling an empty barrel to the filling station.
~~~~~~~~~~
Scarlet pauses for a moment as if in thought, "No, sorry. I was half asleep and there were doors between us. But I can tell you that the voice did not belong to a woman, or a child, but more likely to a man, or at least so I thought. The voice also sounded strangley familiar, so I think it mut have been some one from town."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-09, 07:12 PM
Thanks.

Skittles walks out of the room, still awkwardly dressed. He talks to Xanian. Well that does it, lets go put the heat on Custard until he curdles.

NightAngel16
2015-06-09, 11:18 PM
Everyone around here is just a bit off I guess... Why would Redmond just switch accents like that?
"Redmond, 2% milk is great and I am sure the Grand Wizard must really enjoy it, but I cannot help but feel that 1% might have the edge? Any thoughts on the matter?"

Redmond has multiple personality disorder...

Down the street the party does manage to find a store with delicate red lettering "Redmond Edgard’s Dairy" sign hanging over the door. Entering the shop they see a portly fellow cleaning some glasses behind a counter as he talks to a woman patching up a pair of trousers. "... so I says to him. That's not a root, that's my foot! BWAHAHAA. Oh hello there, I didn't notice you entering. Welcome to Redmond Edgard’s Dairy where we serve only the finest milk. 2%! Now what can I get ya?" As he sees a naked boy enter his shop he seems rather startled, "Woah there friend, I cannot serve ye if ye don't have pants. Matilda give the boy those trousers yer working on, then we can get to business." The woman ties off the last stitch and hands Skittles the pants.

Arkady
2015-06-09, 11:30 PM
Custard looks thoughtful for a moment, a strange gleam in his eye. "Wait a minute, friend. I have something that you may be interested in." Custard moves closer to Arion, his jovial smile frozen upon his face. His next words are quiet and low, so only the two party members present can hear. "It strikes me that you may have an opportunity to help me in some business matters. With Blutarch gone, the only real opposition to my moving into town is from Redmond." There is a muffled clinking sound as Custard puts his arm around Arion's shoulder. "If you were to direct some of your investigations in Redmond's direction, it would direct his attentions away from other matters, such as myself bringing my wonderful product to these fine townspeople. I could make it worth your while of course, you and your friends. You just need to put a little bad light in Redmond's direction and leave the rest to me. Think about it." With a clap on the back, Custard will saunter off with his bodyguard in tow. The bodyguard is wearing a dark blue suit, though it appears more functional than decorative on his hulking frame. There does not appear to be any distinguishing marks from this angle that would tie him to the crime scene. Arion notices one of his pockets feels slightly heavier, and discovers 25gp has been placed in it.

Lahienna has been unable to distinguish anything incriminating on Custard, except perhaps that his boots appear to be made of the skin of an endangered lizard species.

WyvernBlade
2015-06-10, 07:26 PM
"ZEE EDGE! 2% ees tvice ze milk 1% evor vas! Eef you vere not vith ze vizard I vould tho you out now!" Redmond seems rather upset by Xanian's comment and takes a moment to compose himself. "I am sorry, my anger ess short when discussing milk, I just cannot comprehend ze liking of 1%."

NightAngel16
2015-06-10, 07:46 PM
Xanian leans forward with his arms on the counter, "Likewise, I am sure that Blutarch feels the same way. According to a reliable source, I heard you guys were discussing the finer points of dairy products last night. Correct?"

WyvernBlade
2015-06-10, 08:18 PM
"Ahh you see ze light of 2%, it ees good to have another person appreciate 2%. Blutarch on ze other hand is not of like mind to us." Redmond rubs his chin in thought, "Last night? I do not recall having any vords vith Blutarch. Vi do you say vee spoke?"

NightAngel16
2015-06-10, 08:41 PM
Xanian maintains a pleasant demeanor, but impatiently taps his claws along the counter. "Redmond, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you did not converse with Blutarch last night? Please put some thought into your answer. It is rather bothersome having to repeat myself."

Sense motive I guess... [roll0]

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-10, 10:03 PM
Skittles decided to help Xanian. Wow, there is a lot of flammable stuff in here.

NightAngel16
2015-06-10, 10:08 PM
Xanian attempts to cut off Skittles before he can speak further, "I would rather you not threaten our kind host before he has a chance to gather his thoughts."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-10, 10:13 PM
Who said I was threatening anyone? Skittles said innocently. I'm just commenting on the decor. You know, this looks like a nice neighborhood. I might send some invites back home to people I know. See if they want to have a House Party here or somethin'

Fytr
2015-06-11, 02:02 PM
'Well that was... odd.' Arion muses while holding a couple of the coins in his hand.
Looking down at Lahienna, "Did you notice anything in particular about him that would be suspicious, other than this strange bribery attempt? If not, we can continue following the trail, if there's enough left of it."

ErminaPix
2015-06-11, 05:20 PM
Upon realizing the origin of the Colonel's shoes, Lahienna will give a low growl and disapproving glare.

She'll back away and start off in the direction of the trail when the two strangers are out of sight. She'll shake her head 'no' in response to Arion's question.

Arkady
2015-06-12, 10:38 PM
After a bit of searching, Lahienna is able to pick up the trail again. As before, the trail seems to cross itself several times, with varying intensities. After some time, Lahienna is able to track the scent's source.... to Redmond's shop. The scent is pervasive around the building, especially inside the shop. Arion and Lahienna open the door and enter the storefront.

WyvernBlade
2015-06-12, 10:39 PM
The door to the milk shop opens and a husky and an elf enter.

Redmond scratches his head, "Yes, I am positive. I did not talk to Blutarch last night." Xanian doesn't believe that Redmond is lying.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-12, 10:48 PM
Alright Boys, lets go shake Custard and see what falls out. Unless anyone stops Skittles, he is going to go off to find wherever Custard lives.

NightAngel16
2015-06-12, 10:52 PM
Xanian turns slightly from the counter, "Hold on. I am curious as to why the two of them are back here. I thought they were following a trail to a potential lead?"

Fytr
2015-06-12, 10:57 PM
Arion realizes what Lahienna has discovered and motions to her to act normal.
"Unfortunately, we lost the trail through town" Arion responds, careful to keep his voice neutral.
"We can show you where, if you'd like," he adds, with a significant look at Xanian and Skittles.
Arion walks back outside, out of sight of the window, and waits for the others to join him.

NightAngel16
2015-06-12, 11:01 PM
Jovially slapping the counter-top, Xanian remarks, "We will be right back Redmond. Please continue filling those milk containers will you?"
~~~
Outside...
"Alright just so we are on the same page, I do not believe Redmond actually knows about Blutarch's untimely demise. What have the two of you found out?"

Fytr
2015-06-12, 11:06 PM
"We did not actually lose the trail. We were temporarily delayed by Colonel Custard himself, but Lahienna and I did not notice anything suspicious about him. The trail ends here, at Redmond's shop. If you don't think Redmond did the deed, then it would have to be someone else who works or spends a lot of time here."
Arion explains in a hushed voice.

Fytr
2015-06-12, 11:39 PM
"Ok, I guess I shouldn't say Custard wasn't suspicious. Lahienna didn't match the scent, and I couldn't see anything that would link him, or his bodyguard, to the crime scene. But he tried to bribe me into directing the investigation towards Redmond in order to increase the chances that his shop will succeed." Arion continues, showing some of the gold coins. "That being said, the trail does end up here regardless of what Custard wants."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-14, 02:01 PM
Skittles nostrils flared. Well, isn't that something. Skittles wasn't as much offended at the bribe as he was the fact that nobody had offered it to him. Well I did some investi-magtion of my own, and it turns out the Colonel tried to buy BLU's shop. Multiple times.

His scheme seems straightforward to me, kill the rival, blame it on the other rival, then suddenly you have a monopoly on all the dairy products in town. Clever Bastard. I saw we go and shake him all 'diplomatic' like until something falls out. 'Cause you know what, I bet you that even if he wasn't it behind himself, he knows who did it. Otherwise why would he bother trying to bribe you if there was a chance RED was behind it after all? Maybe while were out at it, we can relieve him of some of his shinier objects eh? If the sheriff objects, then well, why the heck did she ask adventurers to investigate it to begin with?

Unless someone interrupts him, Skittles is going to where the Colonel lives.

NightAngel16
2015-06-15, 06:05 PM
Looking back at the shop Xanian says, "Redmond will still be here taking care of our milk. I would like to follow up with the colonel." With that he follows after Skittles.

"You know before we get into some forceful interrogations. It would not hurt to see if the colonel will part with additional gold. I am not quite sure if it is within our jurisdiction to straight up murder the old fellow," Xanian states to the dragon rather nonchalantly.

WyvernBlade
2015-06-15, 07:41 PM
"Ahhh just feenishing vith ze last barrel now. Vood you like to take zem now, before they go bad?" Redmond finishes fitting the stopper on the fourth barrel and then pulls out a comb and starts fixing his hair. Putting the last few strands in place in his comb over he continues, "I could also keep them here until you are feenished vith your investigation."

Arkady
2015-06-15, 07:43 PM
Those of the party that leave Redmond's shop to find the Colonel head towards the center of town. With a few directions from townsfolk, they find themselves at a fancy looking inn. Gold painted letters on a green-backed sign give its name to be "The Singing Griffon". Upon entering they find a clean and well lit taproom, with a scattering of townsfolk at some of the round tables that dot the room. At the bar they see the portly man matching the Colonel's description talking with a thin gentleman in fine robes. The suited bodyguard eyes up the newcomers with a calculating eye from a table not far from the bar area.

NightAngel16
2015-06-16, 02:03 PM
Xanian deliberately walks towards the Colonel and addresses him, "Colonel, I believe you have already met my associates. We would like to ask some follow-up questions. It can be in a more private setting if you so wish." He offhandedly shoots a quick glance at the suited guard, almost as if to taunt him.

ErminaPix
2015-06-16, 06:50 PM
Lahienna will tilt her husky head to the side at the change in accent from their milk vendor. It appears a strange spirit has taken up residence in the fine man's hair. A few strands got out of place and his old voice returned. I had a similar experience, but with a toenail spirit. I could never keep them right length...

She's going to stay and wag her tail at Redmond. See if he is acting nervous about the investigations and the brief chat between her and her colleagues. If she's really lucky, she'll even get an ear scratch!

Arkady
2015-06-17, 11:21 AM
"Ahh, of course my boy, just give me a pip to finish this fine draft", Custard downs what is left of his drink, nodding to the barkeeper and sliding a few coins across the bar. Turning to the man next to him, "Now Councilman, I must go help these fine lads with their work. Thanks again for the chat, and I hope you will think about what I said." The thin gentleman raises his glass in response, but stays silent and continues sipping at his drink, seemingly lost in thought.

Custard turns to the party members, "Right then, follow-up questions you say? Of course I will do whatever I can to help this investigation come to its conclusion. Let us retire to my private suite." Custard leads the group upstairs. The bodyguard will get up from his table to bring up the rear. Walking down a long hall on the second floor, the group eventually arrives a heavy oak door with ornately carved trim. Unlocking the door, Custard leads them into a very posh looking sitting room. with a balcony overlooking the street out front. Another door to the side presumably leads to the bedchambers of the suite. The bodyguard takes up position near the door, watching the party members carefully. Custard sits down in a large red armchair near the fireplace, gesturing for the other party members to take other seats arrayed around a small coffee table. "Now, what can I help yourselves with today?" he asks with a gentle smile.

NightAngel16
2015-06-17, 06:28 PM
Xanian rests his cloth-wrapped weapon against the table and takes a seat. He leans back leisurely, running a hand through his jet-black hair before focusing his eyes on the Colonel's. "It is to our understanding that if Redmond is implicated in Blutarch's murder, it would be a huge boon to your fledgling dairy business in this town. So much so, that you are willing to encourage the arrest of Redmond through monetary means. You do realize, in a different light, some would consider this to be bribery and, thus, would raise suspicions?"

Fytr
2015-06-17, 06:30 PM
Hearing Redmond's latest comment, Arion pokes his head back through the door and replies,"If you could just hold on to them a bit longer, Redmond, that'd be great. We'll be back to pick them up later." He gestures at Lahienna, "And don't worry about our dog there, she's very well-behaved."
Arion then leaves and hurries to catch up with the group. 'They seemed really confident that Custard is the murderer, but I'm not so sure. I'd better go make sure they don't do anything too drastic.'
~~~
After following Custard up to his rooms, Arion chooses to remain standing at the table. He deliberately places a small stack of 25gp on the table on Custard's side, and then steps back to observe and to let his more forceful companions take the lead.

WyvernBlade
2015-06-17, 08:08 PM
Redmon nods at Arion, "Yes I can keep ze barrels here for ven you come back." Glancing at the dog he mutters under his breath, Better be vell behaved.

Arkady
2015-06-17, 08:35 PM
"Oh no, my boy, you misunderstand me. I merely see a business opportunity that would help myself, yourself, and the local people. Too long have these people suffered the limits of only having 1 percent or 2 percent dairy products available. My business could provide a wide selection of products that outmatches Redmond and Blutarch combined. I could create more local jobs instead of those two bumbling fools who couldn't even properly employ a single person. I would end this petty squabble that has been going on for years over which shop is better. The only thing that stands against me bringing these improvements to this town is their stubborn refusal to let me do business here!" Practically yelling by this point, Custard pauses to grab a decanter from the mantle and pour himself a dash of some kind of brandy. After staring into the fire for a moment and sipping his glass, he returns to speaking in a quieter tone. "It's not that I want Redmond arrested. It's just that he holds too much respect in the town council, and that respect has blinded the other council members to the possibilities I offer. All I need is an opening, a crack to wiggle into to open the door to prosperity. I am asking you to focus your investigations on Redmond, even publicly, to sow some seeds of doubts in his ability to lead. I don't need you to make false accusations or testimonies. I am a law-abiding man, after all! It's just that he is holding his people back, and I want to fix that. I need the council to lose some of their blind trust in him, and I believe that this investigation provides such an opportunity. Any sort of wedge you can drive between Redmond and the rest of the council would be most beneficial to my cause, and I am willing to compensate you for your help. Have a made my intentions a bit more clear for you, my boy?"

NightAngel16
2015-06-17, 08:56 PM
Xanian gives a faint smirk, "I am a rather pragmatic man Colonel. Vague promises of 'compensation' do not hold much sway over me. Cold, hard numbers are much more reassuring...."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-18, 07:51 PM
The awkwardly dressed boy holds up his trouser-covered hands. Yeah, where is my bribe

Arkady
2015-06-18, 08:33 PM
Custard lets out a deep belly laugh. "Ahhh, nice to meet a gentleman who thinks like I do. Let's get straight to it then! Let's say something to the tune of one thousand gold pieces... each mind you, I wouldn't dream of giving you a pittance", Custard says, eying Skittles. "To be rendered, of course, upon completion of services. I will pay you if you are able to help me in any way in my quest to bring fine dairy to this town. Are those terms to your likings, good sirs?"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-18, 08:47 PM
Collectable trading cards was Skittles first and only love. But there is not a single dragon on the planet that is immune to the allure of Gold. When Skittles hears the Colonel's offer, he starts panting and visibly salivating. He was able to produce much more saliva then his small human body should have been able to create. After a few seconds, he passes out on the ground.

Skittles is now unconscious.

NightAngel16
2015-06-18, 09:34 PM
"I can see that one of us has already made their decision. However, there may be some of us who do not see us eye-to-eye on the matter." Xanian looks decidedly at Arion.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-21, 10:50 AM
Skittles manages to rouse himself. His pants covered arms brush off the dirt, and the little boy turns to address the group. He seems like a trustworthy fellow. He says with a perfectly straight face. But, perhaps we need to talk it over in private. If you don't mind? he says, addressing the last question at the Colonel

Fytr
2015-06-21, 06:08 PM
"Not a bad idea." Arion responds.
Withdrawing a little ways from where the Colonel is sitting, he begins speaking quietly.
"I have no personal qualms with accepting gold to investigate this matter. What I do have a problem with is the suggestion to ensure that the investigation leads to the incarceration of Redmond without sufficient proof to back it up. There's the risk of putting an innocent man in prison as well as letting the real killer go free!"
Arion takes a deep breath,"Another reason to be a bit careful in this, that you may be more interested in, is that Redmond and the Wizard himself have a history, and I shudder to think what might happen to our paychecks if we falsely accuse one of Alfred's friends. We can certainly investigate Redmond...in fact I would recommend it, given that the scent trail ended up near there, but I would be careful about how we phrase this agreement with the Colonel."

NightAngel16
2015-06-21, 06:45 PM
Xanian does not bother moving from his seat as he replies aloud back to Arion, "Given the circumstances, it would be wise to take this man's offer. I realize that you have objections to this, but I am telling you to accept the majority decision in this room. Though I do not like having to explain my actions, I can give you my reasons at a later point in time."

He looks back at the Colonel, "We accept your offer for the moment. However, please realize that this is a fragile agreement at best. All it takes is one good push off the precipice for your grand ventures to be dashed along the rocks below. I do hope we are CRYSTAL-CLEAR on that note."

Arkady
2015-06-21, 06:56 PM
"Excellent! I am glad to hear that, and I understand your reservations. All I'm asking is for you to do the job you were already hired to do, with a slightly different focus. I wish you luck in the rest of your investigation. I welcome you to grab a drink or two from the bar, on my tab of course." Colonel Custard gives the party a short bow, and gestures to the door. The bodyguard by the door opens it and gestures the party through.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-21, 08:37 PM
When the group is far away from anyone who could overhear them, Skittles turns to face his companions. No no no, you misunderstood me. You saw how much money the guy had right? 1000 gold each for a freaking bribe? His eyes glitter with the light of Dragon Greed. The guy is so crooked, he's definitely hiding something. I say we go to his house and shake things around until the evidence falls loose. Not to mention we can claim anything that's not nailed down as 'eminent domain'; that's the Standard Practice for adventuring parties. If we do it my way, we should end up with a lot more then 1k each.

OOC and IC:

I don't see what other options we have. We don't have any other leads about the actual murder, and we aren't any closer to figuring out what actually happened.

NightAngel16
2015-06-22, 09:48 PM
"First of all, the Colonel does not actually live in this town. The inn just happens to be his temporary abode. So yes, raiding his little corner may yield additional evidence, but gold wise, all we would get is some fancy stationary at best. There are a few more leads I am going to follow up on and you are free to join me. Also, before you decide on a course of action, consider that whatever temporary gains that are to be had by bashing headstrong through anything in our way, will probably pale in comparison to whatever rewards the Grand Wizard will withhold if we sully his name in wanton destruction."
~~~
Back at Redmond's...
Before Redmond has time to greet him, Xanian takes a seat by the counter and speaks directly to the dairy merchant, "Redmond I am afraid that the niceties are at an end. Blutarch has been murdered and his wife claims she heard him arguing with someone about the merits of 1% and 2% milk before she drifted to sleep. If you have a solid alibi, now is the time to hear it. The Grand Wizard seems to place you in somewhat high regard, so we will hear your case. To put it bluntly, you are considered one of the prime suspects in this case, so convince us otherwise."

Arkady
2015-06-22, 10:34 PM
Lahienna perks up as the rest of the party re-enters the shop. Redmond has lined up 4 large barrels all marked with 2% labels by the door, near the discarded pair of pants that were given to Skittles earlier. Xanian and Skittles walk up to the counter without a second glance, though Arion's sharp eyes notice that pants are of a very similar texture to the scrap of cloth found in the alley. Redmond glances up as the door opens, a half-formed greeting dying on his lips as he is interrupted by Xanian.

After hearing what Xanian has to say, Redmond splutters as he tries to form a coherent sentence. "Blu-Blutarch ees dead?! Vat.. I mean how... vhy.. vait, you think I did zis? Ees true zat I did not like ze man, hated him even. Filthy 1%, ruining perfectly good milk vith ees inferior methods. But I vould never kill eem. Zat vould be stupid of me. I vas here last night, tending to ze shop like I alvays do. Vat vas I doing again... Sorted last day's new stock... uh... removed old milk containers... vat else... I am not remembering all ze details, eet vas the same thing I do every day, becomes routine you know? Ask my vife eef you vant vitness to vat I say. I can not believe you vould think I could do zis. I vould think ze Vizard's vorkers vould show more respect for a long time servant of ees Grace. You can take your milk, but don't think ze Vizard von't be hearing about zis!"

OOC: Gratz to Arion for having the only good spot check out of everyone!

NightAngel16
2015-06-22, 10:57 PM
Xanian rubs his temples briefly before continuing, "I want you to understand, that we are not accusing you or charging you of murder. Do not flatter yourself, you are simply one suspect on a long list of possibilities. As agents of the wizard, we want to expedite this investigation as much as possible and that means exploring all possibilities. Now I do have another question. According to his ledgers, Blutarch's dairy business appeared to be quite booming. Did he show any signs of using this extra gold to finance a potential expansion? Or perhaps you know of another business venture where he may have spent this excess gold? Of course it's quite possible that he just decided to save it all for a rainy day, but I would like to hear your opinion on the matter. As a fine purveyor of 2% milk."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-22, 11:07 PM
Skittles decided to help. He randomly knocked one of the stools to the ground; showed a very toothy grin and cheerfully proclaimed. He's the Good Cop!

Fytr
2015-06-23, 12:59 PM
While glancing around the shop, Arion's eyes fall upon the discarded pair of pants. 'Wait a minute...'
He pulls the scrap of cloth out of his pocket to compare the two. He collects the pants from the ground and then addresses Redmond.
Gesturing at the knocked over stool,"Redmond, I think, in order to keep things from getting out of control here, we actually will go speak to your wife to verify your story. Where would we find her at this time of day?"
Arion holds the scrap of cloth next to the pants so his party members can see.

ErminaPix
2015-06-23, 03:50 PM
Lahienna will cast detect magic and walk around the shop. If nothing comes up, she'll scratch at the back door to be let out and go look for empty milk containers to verify the man's story about late night cleaning.

WyvernBlade
2015-06-23, 08:36 PM
In response to Xanian's questions Redmond smirks, "Blutarch and I vere not so close as to discuss our finaces, if you vant to know more about hes business you should ask hes vife." As he speaks he moves intentionally and picks up the stool that Skittles knocked over, "You should take your barrel lizzard before zee milk spoils..." he sets the stool solidly back in place.

As Arion interjects before things get too heated, Redmond snaps his gaze onto Arion, "My vife ees in ze back room verking on zee books."

Heading through the door that Redmond gestured to the party finds Matilda sitting at a writing desk with a look of concentration about her, occasionally marking the book in front of her. Finally noticing the party, "Oh, hello friends, what can I do for you?"

~~~~~~~~~
While this discussion is taking place Lahienna casts detect magic. Looking about she detects no magical auras. She is also let out the back door and with a little snooping around she is able to find a couple old milk containers left out to be collected.

NightAngel16
2015-06-24, 06:40 PM
"We were just talking with your husband and were curious as to his whereabouts last night. Perhaps he was exhibiting some strange behaviour?"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-24, 06:45 PM
Skittles turns to look Redmond directly in the eyes. He slowly and deliberately flips the stool again.

He looks at Redmond's wife. You can trust us: we are very respectable.

WyvernBlade
2015-06-24, 07:17 PM
"My husband as far as I know was cleaning up the shop, as he does every night. Though he has been acting strange today, he hasn't been his usual cheery self, and furthermore he seems to have lost his love for running his milk shop. He would usually be the one in 'ere looking over the books. This is the first time 'e has asked me to look over them in a very long time, except when he is too ill to do it himself. Oh I do hope he ain't getting another flu." Matilda glances down looking rather concerned.

Matlida takes no notice of the falling stool as it is in a separate room from her, Redmond on the other hand slowly picks the stool back up and places it in a back corner. He seems rather red in the face, but says nothing.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-06-24, 10:21 PM
Skittles turns back from bugging Redmond to face the wife. I just wanted to say thank you for offering me that pair of trousers he says innocently You see I've gotten myself acquainted well enough he gestures with his pants covered arms. I wanted to know who its previous owner was. Who loved them with such tender care? Skittles is milking his juvenile appearance for all that its worth.

ErminaPix
2015-06-25, 03:30 PM
Lahienna will change back into an elf behind the dumpster and wander back into the shop. Looking at the barrels, she'll scratch her head. Following the group, she'll wait until their conversation is done then address the topic of the return trip. "We've quite a long trek back to the wizard's house and we're losing daylight. I see no convenient waterways, so floating them is out. Neither skittles or I can carry them, for they're too heavy. If only we had something that could make other things smaller..."

Not sure if Skittles shared his findings with the group.

WyvernBlade
2015-06-25, 07:42 PM
"And a very fashionable pair they are." She says with a smile. As for these trousers? Well they're my hubby's, but we thought you could use them more. But now that they are patched up again I'm sure he will wear them again. Anything else I can help you lot with?"

Fytr
2015-06-30, 03:45 PM
"Matilda, this may seem like an odd question, but please bear with me. Did your husband mention at all how the pants came to be torn in the first place, if he was just cleaning up the shop that night?" Arion asks as a follow-up question.

Sense motive [roll0]

WyvernBlade
2015-07-01, 09:14 AM
"No, he didn't mention how they became torn. Though when he came to bed chambers after cleaning up he seemed rather out of sorts. I'm not sure how to describe it, but he seemed different. His pants were filthy and ripped, but I didn't ask cause I didn't want to probe if it was a sensitive topic. Figured he would tell me in his own time. But why do you ask about the pants?"

NightAngel16
2015-07-02, 04:31 PM
After hearing the wife's comments Xanian returns to the front room of the shop. He speaks with Redmond again, "Seeing as you had difficulty recalling other details of your activities last night, I will attempt to jolt your memory so to speak. Your own wife said that you appeared quite disheveled last night when you came into the bedroom and your trousers were dirty and torn. Now, being your own wife, she can tell that you are hiding something from her, but decided that you will speak up when the time was right. I am inclined to believe her, she does not appear to be a liar."

He glances sideways with a look of slight irritation at Redmond, "I am afraid that I cannot afford you the same courtesy as your wife. A man is dead and you could be withholding crucial information. Now is the time to speak up Redmond. I am sure the Grand Wizard will reward your forthrightness in the future."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-02, 04:44 PM
Skittles jaw dropped Holy Crap he actually killed the guy.

WyvernBlade
2015-07-02, 08:36 PM
"I DEED NOT COMMIT ZE CRIME! Vhy vould I kill ze Blutarch. Yes ve did not see eye to eye at times, but kill him? And besides I vas.. I vas... vere vas I last night?" Redmond plots down in a near by stool. The more observant of the party notice droplets of swear forming on Redmond's forehead. "Something is not right here," he says rubbing his temples, "I think I better go see the constable..."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-02, 08:53 PM
Your living in a town where the task of investigating crimes is passed onto whatever band of heavily armed strangers happens to be around. Skittles points out. I don't know what you hope to accomplish.

Fytr
2015-07-02, 10:16 PM
"To be honest, Matilda, we suspect that your husband might be involved with something shady, and we're investigating to get to the bottom of it. Anything you can do to help us would be greatly appreciated, for his sake."

Arkady
2015-07-05, 12:21 PM
Redmond plops down on another nearby stool, his face looking distinctly pale compared to its usual jovial red. "I did not do it.... I couldn't have... vat vas I doing last night...", Redmond mutters to himself, staring off into space. Suddenly he looks up at the party, a gleam of fear in his eye. "I must go see ze constable now, but first I need to speak vith my vife, alone if you please. Ze milk is yours, take it vith you vhen you go."

Meanwhile in the back room, Matilda is looking a little shocked. "My husband is a dear old man, he would never be involved in any disreputable! Of course I can help you with your investigation, but you're barking up the wrong tree mister!" She is interrupted by Redmond entering the back room. "Dearest, I need to speak vith you, alone." Matilda nods speechlessly, and they both move to the back of the room and wait for the party to leave.

The party can hear muttered whispering that escalates into the sound of sobbing and half-formed phrases. After a while, Redmond and Matilda exit the backroom, Redmond looking even paler than before and Matilda with tears still streaming down her face. Redmond tries to speak, but it takes a few tries for him to get the words out. "I vill go see ze constable now, if you vish to accompany me. I believe it best that I turn myself in for now." Redmond will give Matilda a brief hug and kiss, and then leave through the front door. The party is left alone with a crying Matilda.

If you are not going to follow Redmond to the constable's office, post soon, otherwise we will fast forward in a day or so.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-05, 02:00 PM
The awkwardness in the room was enough to even get through Skittles thick dragonhide. umm... he said I guess we better walk you over?

OOC: I vote for timeskip, but Skittles isn't letting Redmond out of his sight until they make it over.

Arkady
2015-07-06, 08:49 PM
The party escorts Redmond towards the constable's office. Redmond's gait is somewhat wobbly, and sweat is visible on his brow. Whispers follow the group as they walk through the streets, as do the eyes of every citizen they pass. The group arrives at the constable's office to find Constable Sharon sitting at her desk, reading off of what looks like a notepad and writing into a thick leather-bound book. The officer who the party first saw guarding the door at Blutarch's shop sits at a smaller desk nearby, where he watches the group carefully. Sharon looks up at the motley crew that has entered her office, pen dropping onto the desk next to her book. "Care to explain what is going on here?" Before anyone in the party can respond, Redmond steps forward to speak. Starting as a low gurgle, Redmond has to clear his throat several times before his voice will come out. "Constable, I am here to submit myself to your custody. For...for ze death of Blutarch. I do not believe I vas responsible for his murder, but I realize zat zhere is a great deal I cannot explain. I believe it best for me to turn myself in, for further investigations." Redmond is looking at the floor, tears streaming down his pale face. Sharon stares at the man for a few moments, not moving an inch. She then looks to the officer sitting in the corner, giving a curt nod in the direction of Redmond. The officer gets up and leads Redmond towards the back and through a heavy iron bound door at the back of the room. Sharon sits at her desk for a few moments staring off into space. Then she turns to the party, a frown forming on her face. "Well, you certainly work quickly, though how accurately remains to be seen. Want to tell me why one of the most respected men in town looks like he just took poison?"

So, just as an FYI, we are planning on trying to wrap up this PBP segment by the end of the week. As such, we are going to start fast forwarding things a bit if necessary, but we will still leave plenty of gaps for you to act if you want to. Let us know in the OOC thread or in-person if the pace is causing issues.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-06, 08:57 PM
Skittles frowned at the ambient light and adjusted one of the lampshades (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LampshadeHanging). His accent is somewhat incomprehensible, but he believes he might have killed the other milk shopkeeper guy. Whether or not hefeels remorse for his actions, well I simply don't care about that.

As for accuracy... Well, you asked a group of heavily armed strangers to handle investigating a crime for you. Skittles points out. I don't think that's proper police procedure. We did the best we could, but as our erstwhile manager, you are ultimately responsible for the final results. You can throw our conclusion out and start from scratch if you wish. Again, I don't care.

NightAngel16
2015-07-06, 09:56 PM
"Whether you believe the accuracy of our claims or not, based on what clues we have gathered, what the dragon says would be correct. Redmond decided to come of his own accord. Just ask his wife." Xanian leans his back against the counter and coldly shrugs. Redmond is the obvious culprit, but the apparent gap in his memory is concerning. It is unlikely that we are finished with this investigation.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-08, 04:59 PM
Skittles got bored and wandered off to find Colonel Custard.

We hauled him to the Constable. Redmond is in jail, he thinks he did the crime. Whatever you did to set him up worked well. Skittles stretched out his hands. Now Gimme the gold.

Arkady
2015-07-08, 07:42 PM
Skittles re-enters the inn and goes upstairs to Custard's room. The bodyguard guard eyes him carefully, and then opens the door to Custard's chamber. Custard is sitting in the same chair as before, smoking a cigar with a large grin on his face. Upon seeing Skittles he gets up and gives a great belly laugh. "Ahha! My boy! When I hired you I had no idea you would work so quickly! That march down the main street? Brilliant! I had observers in the streets and the whispers of suspicions against Redmond are running rampant. You have earned your pay quite handsomely, my boy. Now, I think it best if I do not give you the gold here, in the middle of town where unwanted eyes and prying questions may come up. Don't worry! I have no intentions of cheating you out of your gold. I propose an alternate arrangement. I imagine you will be leaving town soon, what with this investigation wrapping up. I will have one of my agents meet you at the edge of town where he will give you your payment in full. If you find that it does not meet our agreement in any way, you are welcome to come back and take it up with me personally. Does this satisfy you?"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-08, 07:50 PM
Skittles glared and his eyes took on a distinct reptilian look. ... Fine, but did you ever hear about the guy who tried to cheat a Dragon and lived to brag about? 'Cause I haven't either.

His face returned to a neutral expression. Now that's out of the way, do you know if there is a card shop in this town? There's a prerelease this weekend for the new expansion, Battle for Eberron

Arkady
2015-07-08, 07:57 PM
The Colonel blinks, face losing some of its jovial composure. "A...card shop? Ahh.... You might check the local odds and ends shop. I believe its over near the east end of town..."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-08, 08:01 PM
Sweet! Now when some of my squishies wander by, you can give the details about how to pick the gold to them. I have important Dragon stuff to do.

Skittles wandered off to find the aforementioned 'odds and ends' shop.

WyvernBlade
2015-07-08, 08:13 PM
Wandering down the lane, Skittles comes across the aforementioned shop. Wandering in he finds a robust young man with orange hair and a greasy pimpled face. He looks up from what appears to be a book and smirks before looking down and speaking to the book, "Welcome to Comic and Burrito Castle, what do you want?"

WyvernBlade
2015-07-08, 08:31 PM
Sharon blinks at the party not quite used to being treated like this, but decides it is not worth getting in to it. "Well I appreciate the help. I will question Redmond and see what he has to say." Moving towards her desk, she takes a seat and opens one of the drawers, "Now our budget around here is the size of the aftermath of a gnome who failed to pick pocket an ogre, so your reward reflects that unfortunate fact. But I hope the 'thrill of doing good' makes up for the rest." After some rummaging she pulls out a ring of sorts, it looks like a mechanical nut with inscriptions around it, but it is designed to fit snugly on a finger. "Well here it is. I'm sure it is magic, but I haven't the slightest idea what it does. That being said this could be an archmage's ring for all I know. Anyways, thanks again for your help and feel free to stop by town again." She sees the party out of the office before returning inside.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-08, 08:34 PM
Skittles bask in the odd smells of the shop. I'm Home. These are My People

One for the pre-release please. Two if I can figure out a way to drag certain talking Tincan along.

He leans on the desk. Skittles took that brief bit of social interaction as an invitation to talk about whatever he wanted, regardless of whether or not the other person is interested. So this new expansion of Psionics, there were three sets. The First set was pretty good, it had this nice action adventure theme going on and it was a decent hit. The Second went for this intrigue theme, and the execution at the end didn't go so well. The Third one was going to back to the roots, lots of big fights stuff like that. Except the Designer couldn't pitch it well enough to get people interested. People were tired and wanted a break. So it almost died off, which is why this is a small expansion

This third expansion is going to have so much cool stuff! I want to get a George, The Traveller Planeswalker card. It turned out in the Lore that George was this entity that could travel not just between worlds, but between stories themselves! He is supposed to play an important role at the end of the story arc in the third stuff.

NightAngel16
2015-07-08, 08:47 PM
Watching the dragon wander off to the 'odds and ends' shop. Xanian clears his throat in front of the colonel. "Now whatever dealings you work out with that lizard are none of my business. However, I would rather have the weight of your gold in my palm placed by your own hands. Contrary to your belief, a private room inside an inn does not constitute 'the middle of town', so your fear of public exposure is rather flawed and quite unnecessary. I will be quite frank with you. Despite what you said to my draconian friend, I believe you have every intention of betraying us. I think you plan on ambushing us on the edge of town and dumping our corpses into the nearest riverbed." He leans across the desk for a brief second, "Because that is EXACTLY what I would do. Going back to the point, you clearly stated that YOU would be the one to compensate us, not one of your agents. The required task was completed quickly and efficiently, all that is left is for the price to be paid in full."

Xanian waits for the colonel's reply, wary of any sudden movements from the colonel, bodyguard, or just about anything in the vicinity.

Readied action to call Xanian's armor to him the moment he feels threatened.

Arkady
2015-07-08, 11:24 PM
The shopkeeper eyes Skittles over his book with a bored stare. "Uh huh... well I see no tin cans around here, so that will be 30 gold if you please." He reaches below the counter his feet are resting on to grab a small package which he then waves around enticingly.

Arkady
2015-07-09, 12:01 AM
Custard's smile does not move an inch as Xanian goes through his speech. In fact, it seems quite frozen upon his face. After Xanian is done, silence fills the room and stretches on for quite some time. Eventually Custard speaks, though in a much less friendly tone than his face would suggest. "It would appear that you have misjudged me, friend. Despite what you may have inferred from our recent dealings, I am a man of my word. I will let this insult of yours pass in light of the work you have done for me recently. As I said to your dragon friend, I have no wish to cheat you out of your payment. You strike me as skilled adventurers, ready and willing to put up a good fight. It would cost me more resources to try and cross you than it would for me to just pay you. I have every intention of giving you your gold, but I would remind you that 1000 gold pieces is no small amount, and seeing four strangers walking out of my rooms with bulging coin purses after certain recent events would lead to questions I have no interest in having to answer. My intention was to have you receive your payment away from here, and away from the eyes of those who we wouldn't want involved. If you can suggest a better method of getting your payment to you that maintains a similar level of privacy to my original plan, I am willing to hear it." Custard takes a puff of his cigar and meets Xanian's crimson gaze with his own. Xanian senses that Custard is being honest with him. The bodyguard near the door has not moved throughout any of this conversation, though Xanian can feel the tension coming from him, like a coiled spring ready to snap.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-09, 12:08 AM
Skittles freezes as he considers the most important decision he will have to make today: What faction will he choose for the prerelease?

There were five countries, and each one was associated with a specific color. Black for Karrnath, Blue for Cyre, Red for Thrane, Green for Breland, and White for Aundair.

He tosses the man 30 coins. Gimme Thrane, The Church of the Silver Flame cards are too good. I want to burn all the things!

NightAngel16
2015-07-09, 12:13 AM
Xanian remains guarded, but replies while pointing to the massive wrapped instrument on his back, "Alright, you can put your money where your mouth is. It really would not be that hard to just wrap the gold along with my weapon here. Any outsiders would just see me walk in and out with a large object strapped to my back."

Arkady
2015-07-09, 12:14 AM
"Uh huh", the shopkeeper grunts again, sliding the coins into his pocket and a paper wrapped package across towards Skittles. The package has the symbol of Thrane stamped on it in red ink. The shopkeeper goes back to reading his book.

Arkady
2015-07-09, 12:23 AM
Custard's face softens just a little. "I am glad that we could be reasonable men. I accept your proposal." Custard grinds what is left of his cigar into a nearby crystal ashtray and stands up from his chair. "If you will excuse me for a moment, I will go arrange your payment." Custard leaves the room and goes into what must be the bedroom area, out of sight of Xanian and any others in the room with him. After a few minutes he returns with a metal tray that has four equal piles of coins on it. It also has four cloth coin purses. Setting it down on the table in front of Xanian, Custard sits back down in his armchair. "You will find your complete payment here, though you are more than welcome to count for yourself. I would ask to see that your preparations are adequately done before you leave, after which you are free to go and consider our business here concluded."

You find each pile contains exactly 1000 gold peices

NightAngel16
2015-07-09, 08:36 PM
Xanian unwraps Blodulfr and lays it out on a table. Instead of taking one pile of gold and placing it into a single bag he instead does the following: he takes exactly a quarter of each of the four gold piles, each quarter is then placed into one of the 4 coin bags, and, finally, each bag is tied along the haft of Blodulfr. He will pocket about 100 gold for loose change which he distributes in the pockets of his riding jacket. After wrapping the weapon in its dark cloth again Xanian says, "Well if these measures are to your liking, I will be off then. Normally I would say I hope to do business again, but in this particular line of work I would rather not. Have a good day."

Xanian will leave the inn to catch up with Skittles.

Fytr
2015-07-10, 04:27 PM
After following the group to the constable's office, receiving the strange ring, and watching Xanian and Skittles head off to get gold from Custard, Arion decides to start thinking about how to get the milk barrels back to the wizard's estate in a timely fashion. 'Since the wizard needs us to retrieve the milk while he is away, it is probably something he normally does himself with magic, so we might need to find a different way...'
He looks around for someone he could ask a couple questions (OOC: presumably he finds someone nearby in the street or in a nearby shop, or something, let me know if not)

"Excuse me, but can I ask you a few questions? I am one of the new employees of the wizard, and I am looking for a way to move a bunch of heavy barrels quickly back to the wizard's estate. Is there a place around here where I could rent a cart and horses, or something similar?"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-10, 04:38 PM
Skittles uses his super-dragon hearing to overhear Arion ask about moving the milk. Before he goes to talk to Custard, Skittles wanders back and flicks the magic coin into Arion's face. Come on treehugger, I'm sure you can figure it out from here.

Arkady
2015-07-10, 05:01 PM
A passing elderly couple helpfully points Arion towards the north end of town, where he finds a large barn with an open door. Inside he finds several varieties of coaches and wagons. A young man is working on the wheel of a black painted open top carriage. Upon seeing Arion enter, he puts down the large wrench he was using. "Ello there mate, what can I do fer you?"

~~~~~~~~~~

Xanian opens the door to the Comic and Burrito Castle to finds Skittles lovingly holding his pre-release pack. The pimply shopkeeper sighs and closes his book again before turning to look at Xanian standing in the door. "Can I help you?" he says disdainfully.

NightAngel16
2015-07-11, 08:15 AM
Xanian retorts back, "If I require your impeccable customer service, I will ask. I am just here to grab my friend over there."

NightAngel16
2015-07-13, 03:50 PM
A day after their little maze adventure Xanian decides to make another visit to Gune. "Good morning my minotaur friend. As the resident artificer in this mansion I have come looking for assistance on a couple of matters."

After allowing Gune to respond, Xanian continues, "I was hoping you could fashion a pearl of power for my use. Nothing extravagant, I only need one with the most minimal of capabilities. I should be able to compensate for your services. As well," He pulls out the unusual ring that the party was given. "I was wondering if you had any ideas to improve the design of this particular piece. I am afraid I probably will not have the funds to pay for such improvements after paying for the pearl of power, but I will consider it in the future."

Just buying a lvl 1 pearl of power from Gune pretty much.

WyvernBlade
2015-07-13, 05:44 PM
Xanian makes his way back through the maze to find Gune sipping a cup of steaming liquid, "Welcome back old boy." After listening to Xanian's request, Gune lightly pulls on his beard, "pearl of power... hmm... ahh yes! Top drawer of case #371 what." Opening the chest at the foot of his bed he jumps in, then emerges holding up a lustrous pearl. "I believe this is your pearl. Now as for pricing.. hmmm... I think 975 gp is a fair price, yes?"

Taking a look at the offered ring, "Hmmm... of interesting desing.. gnomish perhaps?... fascinating... Improvements? Possibly, but that would take some looking into seeing as it is not a ring of my design and I am weary of tampering with another's ring, especially since it is gnomish, what. I will look into this matter, but for now you must be satisfied with my promise of investigation. Now is there anything else that you require?"

~~~~~~~~~

Coming back to their rooms the next day Skittles and Lahienna each find a pleasant surprise in their respective rooms. Lahienna finds a beautifully crafted belt of dark red dragon leather with three large moonstones, polished to reflect a weave of colours. Attached to the belt if a note Gune sent this and said, in summary, 'here you go' or something like that. -Jeeves
Skittles also finds a package for him. Placed in a similar red leather to that of Lahienna's belt is a card made of stiffened parchment and a note, This is from Gune, I am not sure I want to know what this is, but Gune said that this suited you. -Jeeves The card has a picture of a majestic red dragon perched on edge of a cliff ready for flight.

Xanian gets pearl of power. (assuming he accepts the price)
Lahienna gets healing belt
Skittles gets card

NightAngel16
2015-07-13, 09:00 PM
Xanian places the bag of gold into Gune's other hand and takes the pearl. "Yes I believe your pricing is quite reasonable. I appreciate your investigation regarding this ring. If there are any further developments please let me know. I will take my leave now and allow you to return to your morning brew."

ErminaPix
2015-07-15, 04:48 PM
Lahienna will approach her gift slowly and run a delicate hand over the craftsmanship. She'll leave a note with Jeeves "Gune, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for such a beautiful item to add to my collection. I'll drop by sometime when I have a chance, but in the meantime, here are the best chocolate covered almonds I've had in a long time." She'll include a small bag of the almonds she smuggled from dinner the night before.

Arkady
2015-07-19, 12:52 PM
The morning passes by uneventfully, and eventually Grog calls them into the kitchen for a light afternoon meal. As the party sits, a peculiar thing occurs. An end table wanders in, legs bending in weird ways to move it across the floor. It approaches Xanian, who is closest to the kitchen entrance, and sticks out its single mahogany drawer at him. Inside Xanian sees a piece of parchment on top of some writing implements. The note reads as follows:

Thank you again for your work with the minotaur, he seemed rather pleased to be doing some menial work again. He is currently quite busy with some research, but he requires a certain notebook he has to continue his current work. However, it appears to be mostly written in some sort of code which the minotaur can't make heads of tails of. There is a cypher I know of in Alfred's second study, which I would like you to go fetch for me. You will find the study in the West Wing on the 2nd floor, behind the purple door. If I recall correctly, the cypher is in a black, leather-bound notebook somewhere on the wizard's desk. Please do not touch anything else in the study, as there are some dangerous things in that room. Oh, I should also warn you: the study is protected by some simple security measures, which I am confident any person with half a brain could bypass.

Best of luck,
Jeeves

P.S. The minotaur says thank you for the almonds

ErminaPix
2015-07-19, 01:28 PM
Lahienna will eye the walking drawers suspiciously. She'll thank Grog kindly for the lovely meal and then turn to the party.
"Looks like another interesting task from our elusive Jeeves. Shall we head to the West Wing?"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-19, 02:06 PM
Skittles read the letter. 'anyone with half a brain'... If I wanted to deal with passive-aggressive notes everyday I'd still be living at home He grumbled. I just really can't stand passive aggressive people you know? He sat there glowering for a few moments, before he changed the subject. I'm thinking of going to see Grog and asking him to make me an elfskin Speedo, since apparently wearing the skin of sentient creatures is a thing we do now.

NightAngel16
2015-07-19, 06:38 PM
Xanian finishes his afternoon tea and replies to Lahienna, "Well I suppose we should." He stands up and lazily stretches before walking out of the kitchen.

Oh right, security measures... Xanian gives a quick snap and, as he wanders out of the kitchen, pieces of his armor materialize onto his person in small bursts of light.

Just because I CAN....
http://orig10.deviantart.net/3826/f/2012/314/9/b/iron_man_3_armor_equip_animation_by_z_studios-d5kmc8q.gif

WyvernBlade
2015-07-20, 07:35 PM
The party brushes past the end table, leaving it standing in the dinning room, as they head toward the west wing. Heading down a flight of steps, through an ornate set of polished brass double doors, and up three flights of marble stairs to reach their destination. As they reach the last few steps a magnificent sight comes into view, two trees with golden leaves and a deep lustrous brown trunks arch to join together above the party's head, where a sign reading 'West Wing' hangs. The wooden arch surrounds a door, made of a similar wood as the trees themselves, but is painted a vibrant purple hue. In the center of the door is a steel knob that arches down and has two holes at the bottom, which Skittles presumes are for gripping the door knocker by.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-21, 10:16 AM
Skittles walks up and opens the door.

ErminaPix
2015-07-21, 03:35 PM
"I can vouch for my species that our skin is not nearly as maleficent **cough** sorry magnificent, as yours. Putting aside the fact that the dragon whose hide I wear had it coming, I never waste any part of my kills. Everything in nature is reused, such is the circle of life. I wear it for practicality, not brutality. If I have caused you distress, I do apologize. If you provide me with a viable substitute, I will gladly change if it made you more comfortable."

WyvernBlade
2015-07-21, 07:40 PM
As Skittles approaches the door and give the knob a twist to open the latch on the door, but no latch clicks and the door does not swing open. Instead the knob twitches back in Skittles's hand and two horizontal cracks open above the knob and a third larger crack below, revealing silver orbs with black centers and a deeper darker crack respectively. Stepping back Skittles notices that the crevices actually form a face, then suddenly the silver orbs focus on Skittles, "Och! I will thank you not to twist my nose like that again." the door says whilst wiggling the knob. "So what can I do to get rid of you?"

Some of the other party members notice that on one of the branches of the left tree is an inscription seeming to be made out of moss. The inscription reads 'Forgot your password?' Approaching causes an array of light to burst from the inscription, coming together the light coalesces into an image of Grand Alf. The hologram looks confused but eventually speaks,""Oh um... hint? ahh, the password is dragon, yeah..." then the hologram fades back into the mossy writing.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-21, 08:33 PM
Skittles is not placated by the Druid. So you want me to bribe you to not be a horrible person? I swear, if we run across any Paladins I'm gonna turn you over.

Well, my skin isn't as soft as yours. So maybe I want something to make me feel more comfortable. Tell me, what subspecies of Elf has the most supple and luxurious skin? Moon elves, Sun elves? Do baby elves have smoother skin then older elves? Maybe at the next orphanage I can pick some up. It's not like anyone will miss them. If anyone wanted them, they wouldn't be orphans in the first place.

Skittles stared down the door. So... the 'hint' is Dragon huh? Well, this Dragon is going to burn you to ash if you don't open up. Does that do it for you?

Arkady
2015-07-21, 08:43 PM
The door frowns (as well as a door can frown anyways), and makes a tutting noise. "Truthfully, I do not believe you could burn me if you tried. I am quite fireproof, you see, and a variety-of-other-things-proof as well. The wizard doesn't want just anyone getting in your see. And that's the truth, the whole and complete truth."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-21, 08:57 PM
Is the password 'Dragon'? Skittles says hopefully, opting for a literal interpretation of the hint.

Arkady
2015-07-21, 09:01 PM
"True!", the door exclaims, "that is indeed the password. Very true! However, that truth will not let you in yet I am afraid. You haven't quite figured out my secrets yet. Feel free to ask me any questions you wish, and I will answer honestly and truthfully, on my honor as a magical door!"

NightAngel16
2015-07-21, 09:19 PM
"You claim we have the correct password, yet will not permit us entry. What other truths must we discern before we are granted access?"

Arkady
2015-07-21, 09:25 PM
"Ahha! Therein lies the riddle, you see? For it is not what the password is, but rather how it is said! Come now, ask me another question. I get so few visitors these days. Not since the wizard's colleague was here did I get so much conversation, haha!" The door chuckles gleefully.

NightAngel16
2015-07-21, 09:29 PM
"And would it be too much to ask you to help guide us along the correct manner of saying this password?"

Arkady
2015-07-21, 09:35 PM
"I would be more than happy to assist you in your quest, but I will not give you a free pass here! You must ask the right questions, and all shall be revealed"

You must ask the right questions.... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xM8sHGoiQ)

NightAngel16
2015-07-21, 09:45 PM
"Okay then, why does the manner in which we speak this password have such great importance?"

Arkady
2015-07-21, 09:52 PM
"It matters because the manner in which the password is spoken could be considered the password itself, in completeness. So it is very important that you find out how, where, or by whom the password is spoken."

NightAngel16
2015-07-21, 09:54 PM
"You mentioned a colleague of the wizard's stopping by here. What was his name and what was the nature of his visit?"

Arkady
2015-07-21, 10:00 PM
"Ah, yes. Agrajag was his name, he worked with the wizard for several years on and off. He would often come by to do research, though it has been several years since his last visit. Now then, I believe you were trying to solve my riddle?"

NightAngel16
2015-07-21, 10:02 PM
"For a riddle you really have not given very many clues. If any at all. How did Agrajag say this password?"

Arkady
2015-07-21, 10:09 PM
"Haha, he said it not by saying it, but by asking for it! Hahahaha, have I given you enough clues now, my armored friend?"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-21, 10:22 PM
"dragon, yeah?"

Arkady
2015-07-21, 11:48 PM
"Not quite my scaley friend, though a good attempt, haha! You need to find out how to phrase your questions to get the responses you want."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-21, 11:50 PM
so... what questions do I need to ask?

NightAngel16
2015-07-21, 11:57 PM
Xanian nudges Skittles, "Maybe try saying the word 'dragon' in draconian..."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-22, 12:05 AM
It's literally the same word in Draconic and Common. Our giant flying scaled master race is a universal concept in most lowly cultures.

NightAngel16
2015-07-22, 12:11 AM
He replies dryly, "Somehow, I do not believe a race as vain as yours would use the same filthy language us commoners use to refer to yourselves."

Arkady
2015-07-22, 12:16 AM
"Haha, a good attempt, but I am afraid I don't speak Draconic. However, you are getting warmer..."

NightAngel16
2015-07-22, 12:21 AM
Xanian is slowly losing his patience, "You know what, just try burning the door with your flame breath while we say 'dragon'. Anything is worth a shot at this point..."

Arkady
2015-07-22, 12:44 AM
"As I said before, fire would be ineffective and pointless." The door ponders for a second, before continuing. "Perhaps I have misled you, but this should help. You know what the password is, as I have told you. I will answer any question you pose truthfully, and you must use this to acquire that which you seek."

NightAngel16
2015-07-22, 09:08 AM
Xanian sighs, "Would it help if our dragon here said the password while exuding a more intimidating draconic aura?"

Arkady
2015-07-22, 09:11 AM
"No, it probably wouldn't help. Perhaps a question of my own will guide your way? What makes you so sure the password needs to be spoken by you?"

NightAngel16
2015-07-22, 09:16 AM
Xanian approaches the mossy inscription again. Dragon?

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-22, 09:17 AM
At this point, Skittles starts to get annoyed. I literally asked you a question a second ago and you've just ignored me. What Questions do we need to ask to get the password.

He looks back at Xanian. I don't think you can call it vanity if its an outright fact. We don't spend our free time trying to come up with ways to show how were better then everyone use, we just kind of are. I mean, think about it, being born a Dragon is kind of like winning the lottery. We can fly, we have innate magical abilities, we're at the top of the food chain, and while we aren't outright immortal we are the next best thing.

Arkady
2015-07-22, 09:27 AM
"Ahh friend, but I did answer your question! You must ask the right questions to gain that which you seek, hahaha! But then I suppose the question is 'what do you seek'? I have already given you the password, wholly and truthfully. You must determine how it is said to gain your entry! Oh, I do so love this banter, its the most fun I've had in years"

Xanian's inspection of the inscription causes the wizard's hologram to reappear and repeat its earlier message. The door looks on and laughs a bit. "See? The wizard speaks the truth about the password, but he was always a little foggy on the details of how it is said. Ask the right questions and all will become clear!"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-22, 09:31 AM
fine, What do I seek?

Arkady
2015-07-22, 09:37 AM
"Ahha! Now we are getting somewhere! You have the password already, so what you seek is the method by which it is said. How, where, or by whom? All valid questions, all with answers that provide insight into your quest!"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-22, 09:39 AM
How is it said? Where is it said? By whom is it said?

Arkady
2015-07-22, 09:41 AM
"How and where? Right here, spoken aloud of course! As for who, well that is the important question of the day! It must be spoken by me of course, hahaha!"

NightAngel16
2015-07-22, 09:47 AM
"Look we understand you are quite enjoying yourself right now, but we do have important business to do on behalf of the wizard. Would you please say the password?"

Arkady
2015-07-22, 09:54 AM
"Of course, of course, all you need do is but ask! Wouldn't want to interrupt the wizard's business, no no.... Dragon is the password, and by it you shall enter!" The door laughs again as a loud clicking noise can be heard, as if several gears were starting into motion. The door ponderously swings open, as if it weighed significantly more than its wooden exterior would indicate. Beyond, the party can see a dark room, though the contrast between the bright hallway and the dim interior makes it difficult to make out any details. "Please do stop by again, it does get so lonely up in this hallway."

Fytr
2015-07-22, 03:47 PM
Arion watches the proceedings with some interest.
At the door's parting comment, he thinks, 'I'm not surprised nobody talks to him. That was excruciating to listen to'

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-22, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen. Skittles walks through the door.

Arkady
2015-07-22, 08:24 PM
The party enters the dimly lit room, leaving a smiling but sniffling door behind them. As their eyes adjust to the new lighting, the party gets a sense of the layout of the room. On the far wall, there is another door, this one seemingly made of stone, with a starburst pattern carved into it. In front of the door, there is a waist-high pedestal, which those with keen eyes can see has a small depression in its center. Off to the side of the room, there is a table with a strange looking contraption on it. It appears to be made of two round plates, each hovering over a silver brazier with a bluish flame. This appears to be the source of most of the illumination in the room. Finally, at the center of the room, there is a long thin table made of a dark wood. On it rests nine multicoloured orbs, all in a row, each faintly glowing. The colours include a forest green, a pale blue, a black with purple flecks, a lime green, a neon pink, an odd shade of orange, a greyish white, an angry red, and a particularly nauseating shade of yellow.

As the party comes close to the table, a burst of light appears, resolving itself once again into the image of the wizard. "Ah, wonderful, you have made it past that insufferable door. It turns away most uninterested parties quite nicely. Now, access to this study is permitted, but I first require proof of qualification. Towards that end there are a series of tests required to gain entry. Its quite a bit of fuss, but Agrajag always insisted on being so damn paranoid.... Ah well, to the first test! Before you lie 9 orbs, each the same in every way but for colour. All except one, which is different by way of weighing slightly less than its compatriots. Not weight it terms of what you might know it as though. No, this is a weight of a distinctly different manner, a magical mass if you will. To progress you must merely place the lighter orb on the pedestal by the door. However, should you place the wrong orb, the consequences could become quite severe. In order to determine the correct orb, you have been provided with a intricate set of magical scales, of my own design. They measure the magical weight of these orbs I described already. Be warned however, they only contain a miniscule amount of power, which takes quite a while to recharge. I have made it so that they have enough charge to measure twice, and no more. Now, the rules are explained and the challenge is set. Best of luck to you, potential scholars!" With a poof of smoke, the hologram fades and the party is left alone with their puzzle.

9 orbs, all identical except for 1 which weighs slightly less (magical weight, you won't be able to use a set of regular scales). The light one needs to be used to open the next door. A set of scales that can only be used twice have been provided to help you solve the puzzle. Would recommend against guessing incorrectly, we have some fun ideas of what could go wrong... >:)

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-22, 11:08 PM
Skittles shrugged, the solution was obvious to him. Any task that required determining the value of shiny objects was second nature to a Dragon. Meh, I can't be bothered. Let the druid figure it out. With that, Skittles curled up on himself and began to nap.

ErminaPix
2015-07-23, 08:46 PM
"Guys, the trick is to go in groups of three. We divide them into three groups of three. For one of the balances, put three on one side and three on the other. If they weigh the same, it's the group that is not being measured that has the lighter one. If one is lighter, take that group. For the second balance, place one on each side and set one aside. If one is lighter on the balance it's obviously that one. If both weigh the same, it's the one that was set aside."

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-23, 08:49 PM
As if that is supposed to be impressive. Take care of this trivial puzzle for me so I can move on.

NightAngel16
2015-07-23, 08:53 PM
"Well let's move along then. I am finding I have very little patience for the Wizard's games." Xanian places the forest green, pale blue, and black with purple flecks orbs onto one side of the scale and the lime green, neon pink, and odd orange orbs on the other side of the scale while setting aside the remaining three orbs.

ErminaPix
2015-07-23, 08:57 PM
To the dragon, Lahienna will respond "I am sorry, but I do not believe I am in the wrong here. I'm not accepting bribes, I'm saying this was the only option available to me. A vegetarian can hardly berate a poor man from eating a morsel of meat he was tossed. The man does not care what form the food comes in, just that he is fed. Similarly, I do not care what kind of metal-free armor I wear, so long as it protects me from those that wish me harm. Surely you can understand where I'm coming from. And baby elves have the softest skin, as it is unblemished by the hardships of the world. If you, however, choose to make yourself clothing out of innocents, I do believe that paladin would smite you where you stood."

Arkady
2015-07-23, 09:01 PM
The flames become a bright orange colour, and the plates begin to wobble. Eventually, the flames return to their natural blue state, but with the plate with the neon pink, odd orange, and lime green resting slightly lower than the other. You note that the flames that "support" the plates appear to be diminished, and the room has become slightly darker because of it.

NightAngel16
2015-07-23, 09:09 PM
Xanian sets aside the black orb with purple flecks, then weighs the forest green and pale blue orbs.

Arkady
2015-07-23, 09:14 PM
Once again the flames turn orange and the plates begin to move. After settling, the plate with the pale blue orb is higher than the plate with the forest green plate. The flames are very low now, leaving the room in almost complete darkness.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-23, 09:21 PM
Oh I'm sorry Skittles says sarcastically. How is strictly necessary for you to win the skin of sentient creature? Have you tried, I don't know, pursuing a career that doesn't involve being a murderhobo? You say its okay to do it if its a Dragon, but its not okay if its an Elf? Double Standards much?

Y'all are racist.
Skittles sticks out his forked tongue.
You just got proven Racist by the Racist Prover.

NightAngel16
2015-07-23, 09:22 PM
Xanian takes the pale blue orb, tossing it to himself in one hand, almost as if to test its weight with his own strength. Then he locks it straight into the pedestal without a second thought.

ErminaPix
2015-07-24, 04:21 PM
"The dragon I wear was not an innocent, I've already said this. It's not racism, it's Karma. I find this conversation repetitive and we're getting no where. And I'm not a murder hobo! I am a wandering soul exploring the world after coming of age. Besides, my mother worries, and wearing armor stops her fretting."

With a nod of finality, she'll follow Xanian to the door.

Arkady
2015-07-29, 08:40 PM
The blue stone glows brightly for a moment when placed on the pedestal, and then sinks into the stone, leaving no trace of it. A blue line of light shoots across the floor to the door, which shudders and then slides away to reveal a more brightly lit room beyond.

Upon entering, the party notices how green the room is. A lush bed of grass spreads across the floor, dotted with the occasional delicate flower. A small fountain sits in each corner, the tinkling sound of water echoing through the lush room. Ivy has grown all over the walls, and even across much of the roof. It doesn't cover the skylights though, which pour a steady stream of sunlight into the room. Across from where the party entered, you can see a wooden iron-bound door, partially covered by some ivy that hangs in front of it. In the center of the room, a large circular patch has been cleared of grass, revealing a stone floor beneath. The stone is carved with a variety of spiraling patterns, all different yet flowing together in a harmonious whole. Sitting atop this stone patch are an assortment of what appears to be candles. Many colours and sizes are present, with no two being the same. They are arranged in a circle around the perimeter of the stone patch, with a single red candle sitting at the center.

On the grass just outside the stone circle are 3 marble pedestals. On top of each pedestal is a book, carved from a white stone with red veins of some exotic ore running through it, open and facing up. The three pedestals form a rough triangle around the stone circle, with the closest being directly in front of the party. Upon closer inspection, the party can see that words have been carved into the book's pages. From their vantage point, the party can read the first book which says:

II
A compassionate man offers everything of himself to others.
His legacy lives on in those around him even after he is gone.

Fytr
2015-07-29, 09:27 PM
After listening to the Lahienna and the lizard bicker, 'That lizard has no idea that he's in the real world now. You take what you need to survive, and if that dragon that provided that armor deserved killing, then I don't see a problem with it. Still, it's probably best not to get involved... unless he actually goes hunting for elven children'

Arion is intrigued by the words written in the book and goes to investigate the other two pedestals, while staying clear of the stone circle.

Arkady
2015-07-29, 09:40 PM
Treading through the soft grass, Arion comes up to the pedestal on the left. This one is made from the same stone as the first, and also has words carved into it. It reads:

I
An enlightened man needs no light to see the path.
His soul lights the way for him.

After reading this, Arion moves around to the pedestal on the right. The pedestal is similar to the first two, but the book on this one has a large crack running through it, splitting the book unevenly. Arion can see that the red veining runs throughout the solid core of the stone book. The words on this book are still legible, though slightly offset from each other due to the crack.

III
A mindful man keeps his thoughts in the present,
his back to the past, and his eyes to the future.

NightAngel16
2015-07-30, 12:50 PM
Xanian looks pensively at the arrangement of pedestals and follows Arion around as he reads off the inscriptions. Afterwards he tries resting his palm on the 1st book (an enlightened man), almost half-expecting some kind of activation sequence to begin.

Arkady
2015-07-30, 01:09 PM
The stone book feels cool under Xanian's hand. The carved words are a sharp contrast to the smoothness of the pages. The red ore veining through the marble is made of a rougher material, causing odd patches of coarseness. Xanian becomes aware of the feeling of freshness this room seems to exude, like a spring breeze blowing through trees. The party waits expectantly, but nothing appears to be happening.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-07-30, 01:14 PM
Skittles cast Detect Magic, hoping to figure out what is important and what can be ignored.

Arkady
2015-07-30, 01:34 PM
Skittles feels a magical aura permeating the room. Several stronger sources of magic are also present, including the doors at both ends of the room, the candles, and the books on the pedestals.

NightAngel16
2015-07-30, 02:20 PM
Xanian repeats his investigation on the two remaining books, hoping to discern some kind of difference from the first book.

Arkady
2015-07-30, 02:40 PM
The other two books are similarly inert when Xanian tries touching them.

ErminaPix
2015-07-30, 04:03 PM
Lahienna walks into the room all excited after her party. "I like this room!"

Looking at the clues, she'll add. "This seems like a rather sequential puzzle gentlemen. Might I suggest we cover the skylights somehow? It says we don't need any light."

NightAngel16
2015-07-30, 04:42 PM
Xanian appears lost in thought before replying to Lahienna. "I have a few other thoughts on the matter. Past, present, and future perhaps refers to the two doors leading out of and into this room, with the centre circle being the present. Could the legacy of a compassionate man point towards lighting those candles from the flame of a single candle? I suppose we could try blocking out the light, although I not quite equipped to do so."

NightAngel16
2015-07-31, 07:36 PM
Moving forward, Xanian approaches the stone circle, the weight of his armor clinking with every footfall. He bends down, inspecting the markings carved into the stone floor, and to see if the candles themselves appear to be in any particular configuration (besides the fact that the red one is at the centre).

Arkady
2015-07-31, 07:41 PM
The swirling patterns carved into the stone do not appear to have any discernible form, and seems rather decorative. The candles are arrayed in a circle around the single red candle, 20 in total. They are all unlit at the moment, but appear to be in various stages of use, from nearly new to almost spent. The wax from the used candles has pooled around the base, following some of the tracings in the stone floor. It appears that they have not been moved around recently. The distribution of size and colour appears to be random.

NightAngel16
2015-07-31, 11:13 PM
"Well at this point, I suppose we should just try something..." Xanian removes the flint from his pack and ignites the flame on the central red candle. If nothing happens, he will proceed to light all of the candles in the circle using the flame of the red candle. Finally, he will snuff out the flame of the red candle and place it back in the centre.

Arkady
2015-07-31, 11:20 PM
Upon lighting the red candle, there is a WOOSH of flame, much larger than one would expect from a candle its size. After Xanian is wiping soot from his faceplate, he notices that the red candle is now out again. Lahienna and Skittles notice that the text of the book labelled "I" is now faintly glowing with a golden light.

NightAngel16
2015-07-31, 11:33 PM
Xanian briefly lifts the face-plate of his helmet and takes in a quick breath of fresh air, before covering his face yet again. This wizard and his "security measures"...

He goes on a hunch and instead lights the circle of candles around the central candle, but refrains from relighting the red candle itself.

Arkady
2015-07-31, 11:44 PM
This time, Xanian is more wary of the candles. However, lighting them one by one, the seem to be just normal candles. At the last candle though, the circle of candles WOOSHes to the roof, a large fireball filling the room. Being prepared, Xanian is able to step clear. Arion and Lahienna dive for cover while Skittles stands unfazed. When the smoke clears, the candles are once again all unlit. A ring of the grass around the stone circle is scorched and blackened. Coughing and waving smoke Arion sees that the second book is now also glowing, but with an azure colour. Lahienna, more attuned to the plants in the room, notices that the grass around the stone ring that was burned appears to be moving, slowly brightening and regrowing.

Fytr
2015-08-01, 11:35 PM
"Hmmm, my best guess for the meaning of these riddles, judging by the reactions we've seen, is that the red candle represents the first man, or perhaps his soul. The ring of candles seem to represent the 'others' mentioned in the second book. As for the last, I agree that it seems likely that the past and future refer to the two doors, so maybe there is some interaction between the candles and the doors?..."
Arion walks over to inspect the far door.

Arkady
2015-08-02, 11:22 PM
Brushing away the vines around the door, Arion sees that the door is made of a dark weathered wood with iron banding for support. He is unable to find any additional markings.

NightAngel16
2015-08-02, 11:46 PM
Xanian walks into the centre of the scorched circle, his eyes facing the iron bound door and back to the door from which the party came. "So we just need to figure out what represents the 'present' in this riddle."

Guess Xanian will be ready for any more explosions :P

Fytr
2015-08-03, 12:30 PM
"I have two ideas. That gout of flame seemed powerful. If we tilt the candles so that they point towards the door, we may be able to blast it open. Otherwise, we could return to that annoying talking door and see if it has any idea", Arion suggests.

NightAngel16
2015-08-03, 01:15 PM
Xanian rolls his eyes, "If we were to blast the door down with the candles, I might as well have tried bashing the door down myself with brute force. Do not forget that this is our employer's own mansion..." He bends down again and tries lighting the candle that lines up with the door through which the party came from, the candle which faces the exit door, and finally the centre candle. Xanian does this all while wary of any errant explosions.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-08-03, 06:15 PM
Skittles lights all the candles on fire, and then pinches them to put them out for his own amusement.

ErminaPix
2015-08-03, 08:11 PM
Lahienna will contemplate the puzzle before them. "Perhaps the riddle is talking about the circle of life? The grass appears to be regrowing. It died in the fire, we could help it along with water and sunlight, then it will be alive again? I'll admit, it isn't the most logical answer, but it could work."

Arkady
2015-08-03, 08:46 PM
As Xanian lights the red candle, there is a now familiar WOOSH. Everyone is prepared for it this time, and easily stays clear. The 3rd pedestal begins to glow with a purple light. The glow on all 3 pedestals brightens, and then suddenly goes dark. A creaking noise heralds the opening of the next door, which reveals a golden lit room beyond.

Skittles' attempts at lighting the candles produces no effect now that the door has opened. The candles appear to be behaving as one would expect candles to behave.

Upon entering the room beyond, the party finds themselves in a large stone hall, filled with a golden light. Beautifully carved pillars line the walls on either side, stretching up to an arched ceiling overhead. The party can hear a faint music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCqrmqatK-4) echoing throughout the room, with no discernible source. Across the room, there is a large stone statue of an armored man carrying a staff tipped with a clear glass globe. On either side of the statue, there is a stone door, carved to be flush with the wall around it In front of the statue is what appears to be a stone well. The party can see a shimmering above it, distorting the air in fluid patterns. The floor between the party and the well is tiled marble, with alternating hexagons of black and white, with blue squares filling the gaps. Directly ahead of the party are 5 pedestals arranged in a semicircle. Upon each of the pedestals is a large box that appears to be made of glass, with silver wire wound around most of the surface. The party can see that the boxes contain something, but cannot discern what it is from this distance.

As the last party member enters the room, the wooden door creaks shut behind them. A pool of light begins to form in the middle of the semicircle, growing and floating up to form the image of the wizard. "Ah good, you've made it this far. This next test is a test of your values, and of your resolve. Before you lies several boxes. Each contains a treasure of some description, precious in its own way. To progress forwards, you must choose the most valuable box to keep, and destroy the rest. Only that which you treasure most will remain!"

Rofltrollcopter
2015-08-03, 09:01 PM
So... it doesn't matter what box we choose? Skittles *shrugs*, which causes his scales to ripple in a rather unsettling fashion. Let's get this over with.

Skittles walks forward and examines the cases.

NightAngel16
2015-08-03, 09:05 PM
"Your incurable naivety is always a breath of fresh air," Xanian retorts as he follows behind the dragon.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-08-03, 09:09 PM
He said 'that which you treasure most'. Skittles points out. It's not my fault if the Wizard phrased things poorly

Arkady
2015-08-03, 09:35 PM
Though the wiring covers most of the cases, the contents can still be seen within.

The first box appears to contain a pile of gold pieces. Skittles' practiced eye sets the total value at somewhere around two thousand gold pieces.

The second box contains a pile of clothing pieces. One type of clothing appears to be some sort of mask, with glass eye coverings and a long tube extending from the mouthpiece. The other type appears to be shoes, but with long toes and webbing, almost like a fish's fin.

The third box contains a ceramic bowl filled with a rich brown dirt. Growing out of the bowl is what appears to be a miniature tree, with a single bright red apple growing from one of its branches. On the side of the bowl, Lahienna is able to make out a small brass plaque that reads "The Healing Bonsai".

The fourth box contains two oddly shaped stones resting on a purple cushion. The stones are each made of a dark blue material, about a handspan long and slightly curved. On each end of the stone there is a slight depression with several dimples.

The last box contains a helmet. It has an open face, with a minor nose guard and and chain neck guard. The material appears to be metallic, though it is not easily identifiable.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-08-03, 09:49 PM
The coins are the most valuable, obviously. They make a good bedding. The other items are useless, I can't be bothered to invest the time and energy needed to figure out their true use.

NightAngel16
2015-08-04, 05:48 PM
Xanian examines each of the five boxes carefully, then begins to make his way over towards the well at the other side of the room. However, he cautiously stops at the edge of the hexagon-tiled marble. He casts detect magic, hoping to scope out any unsuspected sources of magic in the room.

WyvernBlade
2015-08-04, 06:11 PM
As Xanian observes the room with his new sight he sees that there is indeed sources of magic in the room. Each cube has a strong magical aura about it, though the aura seems to be emanating from the cube itself and not the contents. Whether the contents of the boxes are magical is impossible to tell, as the aura of the boxes is preventing a good reading. In addition to those auras, the well and the statue is producing a strong aura.

NightAngel16
2015-08-04, 09:51 PM
The statue, interesting... Xanian walks forward to further inspect the statue.

Arkady
2015-08-04, 10:57 PM
Walking across the room to the statue, Xanian walks by the well. A quick glance shows that the shimmering air above it is caused by the wave of heat emanating from within. A faint orange glow can be seen on its interior.

The statue is approximately twelve feet high, about half of the distance to the ceiling. It is made of a rough grey stone, likely granite. It depicts a man with a stern glare and short beard, wearing some sort of plated armor with a cloak covering its shoulders. A stone hilt of what appears to be a sword can just barely be seen on its left hip, though the full sword is obscured behind the cloak. In its right hand it is holding a staff, which is carved to look like surprisingly life-like wood. The staff looks quite ordinary except for its tip, which holds a glass sphere, roughly a foot in diameter. Xanian notices that the magical aura he was detecting earlier appears to be focused primarily on the staff, and not the whole statue.

ErminaPix
2015-08-05, 08:07 PM
Lahienna, will snort at the dragon's comment. "My dear friend, gold is but a sentimental object. It may be shiny, but will become dull over time. Magical items lose their novelty. The true gift in this room is our health, and we shouldn't take it for granted." Lahienna will advocate for the healing tree.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-08-05, 08:28 PM
Um, last time I checked, metals lasted longer then trees. Freaking Hippy.

Skittles stretches himself out, I'm starting to get bored...

OOC: Unless someone posts in the next 24 hours saying that they are breaking a case, Skittles will choose the gold, on the grounds that it can be divided evenly between all of the party members.

NightAngel16
2015-08-05, 10:16 PM
Xanian begins to move all of the boxes near the large statue. As he works, "Both of you forget that this is a test of our values put forth by our grand employer. If we are to pass said test, I highly doubt the solution would be so tied to our mortal coil such gold or health." When he is done his work, he checks to see if the closer proximity of the objects makes any noticeable reaction with the statue or the well.

Arkady
2015-08-05, 10:27 PM
As Xanian works, he happens to pass closer to the well. Inside, he can see a pool of fire, flames lazily swaying back and forth. The flames start about 3 meters down the well. The statue does not appear to react to the proximity of the boxes.

Rofltrollcopter
2015-08-06, 10:03 PM
Skittles pushes all of the boxes into the fire expect the one containing the stones.

Now can we please move on?