PDA

View Full Version : What template do you want to see in 5e for players to use?

CyberThread
2015-05-24, 05:56 PM
What things besides half-fiends and were-creatures do you want to see that would be okay for players to use and become?

Bigby
2015-05-25, 04:56 PM
Honestly werewolves are the only thing I'd like to see (and you already excluded that in the topic). I'm not sure what else I'd want other people to become, really. It would heavily depend on the setting/campaign/world/etc., I suppose.

I guess templates for various cursed states of existence? I dunno. I think that'd be fun if it doesn't already exist.

mephnick
2015-05-25, 06:56 PM
I think templates are just another layer of unnecessary stuff that bogged down 3.5. I'd be fine if I never had another player asking if they could be a half-fiend celestial tainted ghost were-bear.

asorel
2015-05-25, 07:42 PM
None, if I must be honest. They've never interested me as a player, and I believe this holds true for everyone else in the party, and no one in the group for which I DM has expressed interest in such templates. Even were this not the case, I would be wary of having to accommodate half-dragon-half-fiend-half-fey vampire werewolf manbearpigs, as well as the special snowflake mentality that is wont to follow such builds. One of 3.5's failings was the sheer amount of bloat that appeared in a relatively short period, and I would be perfectly happy to avoid that with 5th edition.

Chadamantium
2015-05-26, 01:08 AM
What about instead of templates we get subraces that can replace the original subrace?

jkat718
2015-05-26, 02:31 AM
@Chad: The issues there are that not all subraces are equal in power, not all races have subraces, and removing a subrace makes absolutely no sense. For example, a Rock Gnome who becomes a Wererat shouldn't lose the Tinker ability. Why does their transformation prevent them from fiddling with stuff? Do Humans not lose anything from lycanthropy? The power drop from losing Genasi subrace abilities is much greater than that from losing Dwarf subrace abilities.