PDA

View Full Version : Issues with notifications

Solse
2015-05-24, 10:50 PM
First of all, let me preface this message by stating that I love this forum -- it's definitely one of my favorite websites. However, I feel like there are some problems specifically with notifications that can definitely be improved. I've used other vBulletin-based boards, and one thing that I've noticed with those boards is that when a thread that you're subscribed to updates, or somebody quotes one of your posts, the "Notifications" tab on the top of the screen is highlighted and your notification count increases. However, this does not occur on this forum. Too many times, I have posted in and subsequently abandoned threads because I forgot to come back to those threads, even if they've updated or if somebody's replied to me. I don't know how hard it would be to implement this feature, but I think that if other vBulletin forums can make use of it, hopefully this one can as well.

Thank you,
jhunter_d

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-05-24, 11:45 PM
First of all, let me preface this message by stating that I love this forum -- it's definitely one of my favorite websites. However, I feel like there are some problems specifically with notifications that can definitely be improved. I've used other vBulletin-based boards, and one thing that I've noticed with those boards is that when a thread that you're subscribed to updates, or somebody quotes one of your posts, the "Notifications" tab on the top of the screen is highlighted and your notification count increases. However, this does not occur on this forum. Too many times, I have posted in and subsequently abandoned threads because I forgot to come back to those threads, even if they've updated or if somebody's replied to me. I don't know how hard it would be to implement this feature, but I think that if other vBulletin forums can make use of it, hopefully this one can as well.

Thank you,
jhunter_d

Why don't you use the subscription system already implemented? When you create a thread or post, just can select "Subscription: Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes: Instantly, using email". Or, if you don't want emails, "Through my control panel only" and then occasionally check the subscription list. Is there an issue with either method from your perspective that needs improving?

Grey Wolf

Rawhide
2015-05-25, 02:46 AM

Thank you,
jhunter_d

The other sites must either be on a different version or have incorporated some custom coding, as there is no option to include subscriptions in the notifications area.

To see a list of all subscribed threads which have new posts, click "Settings" at the top of the page. To see a full list of your subscriptions, go to "My Subscriptions" on the sidebar of that page and click "Subscriptions".

Solse
2015-05-25, 11:01 AM
The other sites must either be on a different version or have incorporated some custom coding, as there is no option to include subscriptions in the notifications area.

To see a list of all subscribed threads which have new posts, click "Settings" at the top of the page. To see a full list of your subscriptions, go to "My Subscriptions" on the sidebar of that page and click "Subscriptions".

Ah, I was worried that they were using a different version. I guess there's not much that can be done about that. Either way, thank you very much all the work you've done for this awesome forum. Maybe I could code up a browser extension that would solve this problem...